Wolves
West Brom
1-2
Liverpool
Everton 
0-1
Sheff Utd

WhiteJC

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fresh Harry Maguire injury update ahead of Manchester United's clash with Fulham

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says he's feeling 'positive' about Harry Maguire featuring again before the end of the season but will not rush the defender back before he's returned to full fitness.

Maguire, 28, was forced off with an ankle injury in United's 3-1 win away to Aston Villa and the club have suffered defeat in their last two matches at home to Leicester and Liverpool in his absence.

There remains uncertainty over Maguire's possible return but Solskjaer is 'optimistic' the England international – United's captain since January 2020 – could play a part in their Europa League final clash with Villarreal on May 26.

Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof will likely continue their run in the side at centre-back on Tuesday night when second-placed United play host to Fulham, whose relegation was confirmed last weekend.

Asked for an update on Maguire at his pre-match press conference on Sunday, Solskjaer told reporters: 'Hopefully we can have good news early but I'll give it a while on Harry.

'He's shown his importance. I felt I became a very good player when I was injured. People realise what you can do.

Harry is our leader and he's been a big miss at the moment. 'I'll give him before he says yes or no.'

The United head coach added: 'He's making progress but we don't want to test it out too early.

'Harry wants this so much but he doesn't want to take risks either. 'When I spoke to him this morning, he was quite positive.

'We have to be positive and think he's going to make it, until we have to say no. I've always been an optimist.'

Though Solskjaer will have a number of tough decisions to make with his team selection in Gdansk, he feels he's in a 'good position' given the vast majority of his squad are fit and available.

'When you get to a final and you have most of them fit, I'm in a good position,' he said,' he said.

'We've had a long season, everyone has contributed and we need to pick the best team to beat a good Villarreal side.'

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/16/harry-maguire-injury-man-utd-boss-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-provides-fresh-update-14590539/?ito=newsnow-feed?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

WhiteJC

Player of the Season Vote

The 2020/21 campaign has not ended in the manner that any of us had hoped, but the squad gave their all and provided a number of memorable moments, so we will still be naming our annual Player of the Season.

Every member of the First Team squad who featured in at least 10 Premier League matches is in contention for the award.

A short voting window is open from now until 10am on Wednesday 19th May.

Our Goal of the Month competition will launch at the end of the season.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/may/Player-of-the-Season-Vote/

WhiteJC

Bobby: Fab Can Go Far

Bobby De Cordova-Reid says Fabio Carvalho has the right attitude to enjoy a successful career in football.

The 18-year-old was given a first Fulham start at St Mary's on Saturday, and he rewarded Scott Parker's faith with a brilliant finish after being played in by De Cordova-Reid.

"Fab's done well with his goal," his assister told fulhamfc.com. "We've needed goals and he's stepped in and provided for us.

"I said after he came on against Chelsea that he's got a bright future. If he keeps level-headed and humble then he'll do just fine.

"He's at a good club with a manager who believes in him and trusts him, and he can go far.

"I understand his game, his play. I like playing with him and I'm looking forward to playing with him more.

"He's been with us for a while now, he's been training well and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

"He knows he's got to work hard and do a job for the team, and that's what you need."

After Carvalho had reduced the deficit against Southampton, an equaliser was the next task, but the home side quickly extinguished any hope through Theo Walcott's strike.

"We've got to be better in those moments," De Cordova-Reid admitted. "We've got a team on the ropes and there's a chance for us to get back in the game, and we've got to be more solid, first and foremost, after scoring a goal and then you can build from there.

"But it wasn't to be, so now we move onto the next game to look to try and get a win.

"We want to go to Old Trafford and put in a performance. Everyone wants to play for each other to try and get a result by playing well, and hopefully end the season on some sort of a high."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/may/Bobby-Fab-Can-Go-Far/

WhiteJC

Stefan Johansen at QPR: Hearts captured and bound to be broken, but play-off plans don't depend on permanent deal

Stefan Johansen has captured the hearts of QPR fans. It looks increasingly unlikely that those fans will ever get to see him in blue and white, but a permanent deal for the Fulham man isn't the 'be-all and end-all' of Mark Warburton's play-off preparations this summer.

How and why the 30-year-old was omitted from Scott Parker's Premier League squad for the first half of the season is another for football's 'greatest mysteries' collection. Johansen started every single game for QPR after his loan move from Fulham and finished the majority of those too, looking like a midfielder with abilities way beyond Championship level in the process.

Fewer players have turned out for QPR with as much class as he. Every aspect of his game is so rife with mastery as to look unfair on a football field and likewise is the fact that Johansen has been subjected to loans in his recent Fulham career. The 2018/19 campaign saw him loaned out to West Brom midway through his side's Premier League campaign before playing a very rotational role in Fulham's promotion from the Championship last year.

A loan move to QPR read perfectly on paper and that's exactly how it worked out – Johansen was one of four names to come in on loan during the January transfer window, with all four having a profound effect of the club's eventual 9th-place finish in the Championship. He arrived off the back of dormant start to the season with Fulham in which he was limited to just two EFL Cup outings, and an eventual transfer to QPR looked to be an inevitability at one point with Johansen now in the final year of his contract at Craven Cottage.

But after the performances he's put in for QPR and Fulham's relegation from the Premier League, it seems highly unlikely that the Cottagers will sell Johansen to, not only one of their local rivals but to a team they could be rivalling for a top-six spot next season. Fulham would be utterly foolish to gift Johansen to QPR and Parker may be feeling so for not giving Johansen the same opportunities in the Premier League.

QPR hearts are bound to be broken. Most every Rs fan wouldn't hesitate in saying 'yes' to a permanent deal for Johansen. Warburton wants the deal too, but his club don't seem likely to break the bank for a 30-year-old entering into the final year of his contract. They'll undoubtedly do all they can to make it happen though – reports continue to cite QPR's interest in a permanent deal.

For many, acquiring all four of those January loanees and retaining the likes of Seny Dieng, Ilias Chair and Lyndon Dykes who've all been linked with moves away, holds the key to a top-six finish next season. De Wijs has already signed permanently and both Austin and Field are said to be close to doing likewise – only Johansen remains.

Stefan Johansen's QPR stats as per WhoScored: 21 apps / 4 goals / 2 assists / 53.4 passes per game / 81.1% pass accuracy / 1.5 tackles per game

Johansen's individual performances make for much better team performances. Every positive aspect of his game emanated unto his teammates and donning that roving midfield role alongside Chair for the last part of the season, Johansen proved the perfect connector, not to forget the four goals he chipped in with.

Whether he was deployed in a holding role or more of an attacking one, Johansen gave QPR fans a lot to shout about in the second half of the season. His permanent signing would be the pinnacle of what could be a prosperous summer but as the club have shown with their signings over the past year in particular, recruitment is keen, and Warburton with his team of Les Ferdinand and co will undoubtedly utilise the loan market effectively once again.

Warburton after two seasons at the helm is honing in on that perfect blend of youth and experience. The experience of Johansen will disrupt that but as the Rs continue to do so, another name will come in and under the shining guidance of Warburton, there's no reason why his QPR side can't carry their current form into the new campaign.

https://the72.co.uk/235848/stefan-johansen-at-qpr-hearts-captured-and-bound-to-be-broken-but-play-off-plans-dont-depend-on-permanent-deal/

WhiteJC

Phillips 'very surprised' by Parker development at Tottenham

Kevin Phillips is "very surprised" to hear Scott Parker is set to be interviewed by Tottenham for their vacant manager's post.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the former Sunderland and Villa striker said "it is great news" that the 40-year-old is being given a chance with not enough young managers given opportunities in English football.

This site revealed on Wednesday that the Fulham boss is set to be interviewed after his club's relegation back to the Championship was confirmed on Monday night.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is a big fan of Parker's and has been championing his cause behind the scenes.

Football Insider understands the club are closing in on appointing a new manager after holding further talks in recent days, with the board confident of making an appointment at the end of the season.

Phillips cannot see Spurs appointing Parker though.

"I am very surprised to hear they might talk to Parker," he told Football Insider.

"I think Scotty will get a big job eventually, it would just take me be surprise if it was to be now.

"It is encouraging that these big clubs are talking to managers that haven't got a wealth of experience because they should. That should be the case throughout all of the leagues.

"Why talk to people who have been there, seen it, done it? It does not always work out. You just have to look at the amount of experienced managers Sunderland have had over the years bar Big Sam.

"It is great to hear Parker is being considered. Do I see him getting the job? No, I don't. It is great news that he is being interviewed though."

https://www.footballinsider247.com/phillips-very-surprised-by-parker-development-at-tottenham/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker believes Fulham teenager Fabio Carvalho is set for a bright future
Carvalho scored a consolation goal for Fulham on his first start for the club at Southampton.

Scott Parker believes teenager Fabio Carvalho could have a bright future ahead of him following his goalscoring performance during Fulham's 3-1 defeat at Southampton.

Carvalho scored a consolation goal for Fulham on his first start as the relegated Cottagers extended their winless run to eight Premier League matches.

Southampton took the lead after 27 minutes when Che Adams struck from a James Ward-Prowse free-kick before Nathan Tella netted his first goal for Southampton on the hour mark.

Carvalho briefly gave Fulham hope but substitute Theo Walcott restored Saints' two-goal advantage with a clinical finish and secure back-to-back home wins.

But Parker was full of praise for the 18-year-old Carvalho, he said: "(Carvalho is a) big positive.

"Massive positive for us because he's the one who's going to be here, he's a player that is really bright and can bring something to this team and you saw that today.

"We've seen his quality today, we've seen him scoring and assisting at an under-23 level but now he's been around first-team players, he's pushed on and done that as well.

"I don't want to heap too much on Fabio because he's still a young boy but the future's bright for him and he's someone that I really like and someone that I look forward to working with really."

Parker wants to make an example of the England youth international, who shone on only his fourth appearance for Fulham, with a number of loan players set to depart in the summer transfer window.

"This is a player that is with us, he's been with us since a young boy and this is someone that, like I said, there's a massive positive about them today certainly for me as well when you're looking at developing the team and he's someone who's been around us now, and will be with us next year, along with other players who will be here next year as well," he added.

"Hopefully there's still a long way to go for Fabio and I'm very conscious of that, he's put in a good performance today and shown his quality.

"But with the work ethic and his quality, there's no doubt he can play at the top."

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl praised goalscorer Adams' impact since the lockdown last year.

Adams has 10 goals to his name this campaign and has scored in the Saints' last two matches in what has been his most prolific season for the club.

"The second (season) was much better," the Austrian said. "Since the lockdown we had first time, I think he's coming back stronger and stronger and I see him working hard for this team.

"Now he's making the easy goals. I think he had all these chances and sometimes he didn't quite score but it's only a question of time when he's coming higher on the scorer list and it's good to see."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/scott-parker-believes-fulham-teenager-fabio-carvalho-is-set-for-a-bright-future-40432443.html

WhiteJC

Predicted XI vs Fulham: adventurous team selection expected from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has some interesting choices to make in terms of team selection for tomorrow's final home game of the season against Fulham.

On the one hand, it is a much easier game on paper than Sunday's final Premier League game at Wolves, which would suggest resting a few players. On the other hand, that Wolves game is only three days before United's Europa League final against Villareal in Gdansk, which is clearly Solskjaer's top priority. So the manager may decide to pick a relatively strong side for tomorrow's game and then rest key players against Wolves.

There are other factors at play as well. 10,000 supporters to entertain inside Old Trafford for the first time this season. And after the defensive shambles against Liverpool last time out, should the boss try to reshuffle his rearguard or give the same five the chance to put things right? And who should play in goal, given that the jury still appears to be out in terms of who makes it for that Euro final?

It is therefore very hard to predict what will be in Solskjaer's mind for tomorrow.

It would probably make more sense to keep the same back five and hope that they can regain their confidence after Thursday's debacle.

Scott McTominay and Fred were very poor against Liverpool and so given that this is a home game against an already-relegated side, the manager could opt for the slightly more adventurous pairing of Nemanja Matic and Donny van de Beek. A really good performance from either or both of these players could even force them into Solskjaer's thinking for the final.

Further up the field, Bruno Fernandes is chasing 30 goals for the season so he will be banging on the boss's door demanding to play. On the other hand, Edinson Cavani has become so important that he could be kept in cotton wool, with Mason Greenwood leading the line again. That leaves Marcus Rashford potentially playing on the right and Paul Pogba on the left, although one or both could be rested for either Juan Mata or Amad, for example.

If Pogba and Rashford both start, they will then probably be just given 30 minutes off the bench against Wolves.

With all that in mind, here is our predicted XI for tomorrow's game:

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2021/05/17/predicted-xi-vs-fulham-adventurous-team-selection-expected-from-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-224690/