watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2021/22

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 21, 2021, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Just think how long we took to find replacements for Hangeland and Hughes, we struggled for a long time before Tosin and Andersen arrived with many failures and some of them cost a few pounds.
We need to keep Tosin if at all possible.

Arthur

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 11, 2021, 11:26:43 PM
Very good analysis. I trust statistics a lot and the statistics say that Tosin is a "top centre-back when alongside Anderson", but before that time he was a "decent centre-back comparable to Hector", only much younger so better for the long-term. The statistics could a) indicate Anderson is the difference,  b) indicate Tosin is improving or c) the statistic could be misleading. I suspect a little truth with all three, but the most important of the three was Anderson improving Tosins statistics.

I'm not aware of any of the statistics connected to Tosin or Andersen, but in saying 'Andersen is the difference' (in the case of Tosin's improvement), I wonder whether Andersen's statistics also improved. And if they did, does this not indicate that both players benefited from the partnership, not just Tosin? In which case, does this not raise the possibility that a centre-back pairing of Hector and Tosin could, likewise, be beneficial to both players' performance levels?

May I also ask, TRF, why you suspect Tosin's statistics may be misleading?

colinwhite

Tosin is a decent young player who had a decent season.he is not the finished article and had his ups and downs but he was an excellent buy and I hope and believe we will keep him. He has his faults but I beleive he will only get better.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 11, 2021, 11:26:43 PM
Quote from: Statto on June 11, 2021, 01:02:28 PM
Quote from: bencher on June 11, 2021, 12:34:04 PM
He showed he is capable of playing at PL level.

Have to disagree. Think Tosin is hugely overrated on here. Looked good for the brief spell when we were defensively solid but that was (a) brief and (b) playing in a triangle with close to the best CB and GK we've ever had (Anderson and Areaola). Think he looked out of his depth and error-prone at times n the second half of the season and think it would have been totally different had he been playing, for example, with Hector/Ream/Bettinelli who our other CBs have had to play with historically. Before joining us he had a season with Blackburn in the Championship where he was statistically almost identical to Hector and IMO that's about his level, ie, a very good Championship CB who may or may not be able to step up to a bottom half PL side.

Very good analysis. I trust statistics a lot and the statistics say that Tosin is a "top centre-back when alongside Anderson", but before that time he was a "decent centre-back comparable to Hector", only much younger so better for the long-term. The statistics could a) indicate Anderson is the difference,  b) indicate Tosin is improving or c) the statistic could be misleading. I suspect a little truth with all three, but the most important of the three was Anderson improving Tosins statistics.

I will be saddened to lose Tosin for £10m, because I like him as a player, but we will make a healthy FFP profit on him around £9m and it has to happen before 6th July so TK has 7 weeks to use the money if he needs some before the window closes. Lets see if Tosin is still here on the 7th July, but his lose will be felt more if we get promoted again.

TRF Unlike you and that half wit you fawn over, I don't need statistics when I can see more with my own eyes.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 13, 2021, 08:37:48 AM

TRF Unlike you and that half wit you fawn over, I don't need statistics when I can see more with my own eyes.

Well, you can watch with you eyes and tell me that both Kamara and MLM were poor in the premier league, and statistics can tell me that too. But watching MLM and Kamara for Fulham could you tell that MLM would do well in the Belgium League but Kamara wasn't upto Ligue Un, unfortunately statistics cannot tell that well either.

I also doubt many people (apart from Brain Clough) can watch a player shoot and miss, but still know that the player can finish. Most Fulham fans think Ryan Sessegnon is a good finisher, but that is only because he finished many of his chances at the cottage (which is just another statistic) in truth statistics at his other clubs indicate his finishing is a little hit and miss.

No doubt statistics are partly responsible for us buying players like Fabri, Christie, Tosin, Bryan, Robinson, Onamah, Mitro,  Cav and Knockaert. But if we listened more to statistics we wouldnt have bought Seri, who has played some super human games before coming to Fulham scouts may have seen those games but statistics would tell you he was inconsistent, on the decline and poorly suited to cooler days. In the end, scouts probably watched him play a dozen brilliant games and decided to ignore his poor inconsistent statistics. We would wise to pay more for players with good statistics, and offer less for players with poor or inconsistent statistics.

vancouver

Will Nightingale is somebody id rate as a CB signing.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 14, 2021, 04:51:40 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 13, 2021, 08:37:48 AM

Well, you can watch with you eyes and tell me that both Kamara and MLM were poor in the premier league, and statistics can tell me that too. But watching MLM and Kamara for Fulham could you tell that MLM would do well in the Belgium League but Kamara wasn't upto Ligue Un, unfortunately statistics cannot tell that well either.

I also doubt many people (apart from Brain Clough) can watch a player shoot and miss, but still know that the player can finish. Most Fulham fans think Ryan Sessegnon is a good finisher, but that is only because he finished many of his chances at the cottage (which is just another statistic) in truth statistics at his other clubs indicate his finishing is a little hit and miss.

No doubt statistics are partly responsible for us buying players like Fabri, Christie, Tosin, Bryan, Robinson, Onamah, Mitro,  Cav and Knockaert. But if we listened more to statistics we wouldnt have bought Seri, who has played some super human games before coming to Fulham scouts may have seen those games but statistics would tell you he was inconsistent, on the decline and poorly suited to cooler days. In the end, scouts probably watched him play a dozen brilliant games and decided to ignore his poor inconsistent statistics. We would wise to pay more for players with good statistics, and offer less for players with poor or inconsistent statistics.

I rest my case and you have just proved my point and what I have insisted regarding the self inflicting scatter gun approach by the owners son and the way he uses it like a man with his eyes shut throwing a dart at a dart board. As for Seri it was an expensive mistake but just one of many embarrassing mistakes and errors of judgement due to his obsession with the dreaded stats he has made as a short cut to this folly. Seri is a classic example of a player looking better in an overseas League which is far from the physical challenge and quality of competition of the English League and it showed like a boy in a mans world very daunting. In England to see a player at his worst and most vulnerable you watch him in away games where the fans are partisan and ready to give an opponent a hard time, therefore testing his resolve and character to see how he responds under pressure. Not watch him at home in his own environment where he is most comfortable. It is not like the game TK plays on his lap top "Football Manager".
But thank you for proving my point for me.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: vancouver on June 14, 2021, 06:48:02 AM
Will Nightingale is somebody id rate as a CB signing.

I was in his form at school, he's a top lad and a leader but I'm not co conceded he's a top end championship/ premier league CB. He's 26 now so unlikely to improve astronomicallly

Ronnief

He's not quick enough even for Div 1, according to AFC supporters  092.gif

WhiteJC

LUTON TOWN CONFIRM SIGNING OF 22-Y/O PREVIOUSLY LINKED WITH FULHAM, MILLWALL

Luton Town have today completed the signing of Allan Campbell from Motherwell, confirms the club.

Campbell joins the Hatters for an undisclosed fee from Scottish side Motherwell on a permanent deal, subject to international clearance.

The 22-year-old becomes Nathan Jones' third signing so far of the summer window having already acquired the likes of Reece Burke from Hull City and Fred Onyedinma from Wycombe Wanderers.

Jones is looking to build a team capable of pushing on and improving on their mid-table position but safety will be the first concern on his mind.

Campbell joins from Motherwell where he has spent his whole career so far after joining their academy at the age of 10.

He turned out 159 times for the Scottish club, scoring 16 goals in that period but now goes to a new challenge a Kenilworth Road to compete in one of the most competitive leagues around.

The midfielder is also a Scotland U21 international, representing his country on 24 occasions, and will be hoping his move to Luton can help to ignite his career in the Scotland first team with similar moves helping the likes of John McGinn and Kenny McLean who are now regulars in the squad.

Thoughts?
This could well work out to be a great move for both Campbell and Luton. The 22-year-old will get the chance to test himself against different types of opposition which can help to mold him into a more well-rounded player.

The move south of the border could also improve his chances of eventually playing in the Premier League with top sides always looking to improve their squads with players from the EFL.

For Luton, this is a player that will improve their squad drastically, he has impressed with Motherwell and will no doubt gives Jones a different dynamic and option in midfield.

Campbell could well find his feet early and hit the ground running should he be given the chance.

https://the72.co.uk/239200/luton-town-confirm-signing-of-22-y-o-previously-linked-with-fulham-millwall/

Friendsoffulham

Bronaldinho

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on June 16, 2021, 09:04:52 AM

Can imagine this happening if Tosin goes early.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

JoelH5

Quote from: Bronaldinho on June 16, 2021, 09:47:53 AM

Can imagine this happening if Tosin goes early.

We need a CB anyway, after Andersen leaving, even if Tosin stays
I was there, standing in the Putney end

jayffc

Bloody hell he's only 23? Feels like he's been around for ages without breaking through properly but that's still pretty young, anyone got an insight into how he's been at Bournemouth?

Edit*

just taken a look at Bournemouth Forums and seen a few mentioned that he was 'very good once fit'... more CB injury woes? Might be worth a punt, perhaps him and Tosin if alongside eachother could form a partnership potentially capable of stepping up again if we go up.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: jayffc on June 16, 2021, 11:54:57 AM

Bloody hell he's only 23? Feels like he's been around for ages without breaking through properly but that's still pretty young, anyone got an insight into how he's been at Bournemouth?

Edit*

just taken a look at Bournemouth Forums and seen a few mentioned that he was 'very good once fit'... more CB injury woes? Might be worth a punt, perhaps him and Tosin if alongside eachother could form a partnership potentially capable of stepping up again if we go up.

Agreed - although if we have Tosin, Ream, Mawson, Hector, CCV, Kongolo, MLM, surely we move 1 or 2 out. Especially if we play 4 at the back, don't need seven CB's. Would LIKE MLM and Mawson out, but feel it would be Tosin and MLM.

JimOG

Quote from: Porthogs FC on June 16, 2021, 01:23:01 PM
Quote from: jayffc on June 16, 2021, 11:54:57 AM

Edit*

Impressed me in their play-off match. Tough tackling, uncompromising but small for a centre back by modern standards.

Agreed - although if we have Tosin, Ream, Mawson, Hector, CCV, Kongolo, MLM, surely we move 1 or 2 out. Especially if we play 4 at the back, don't need seven CB's. Would LIKE MLM and Mawson out, but feel it would be Tosin and MLM.

filham

Surely we will not now make any new signings until a new manager is in position.

Southdowns White

Quote from: filham on June 16, 2021, 03:30:09 PM
Surely we will not now make any new signings until a new manager is in position.
And that could be weeks!

Statto

Surely the last thing we need is a CB. I mean of course there is a chance that Hector, Tosin, Mawson, Kongolo, Ream, Odoi and MLM will all be injured at the same time (for Kongolo and Mawson it's guaranteed) but is there any other position where we're going to have 7 levels of backup?

bobby01

Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.