watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 26/05/21...

Started by WhiteJC, May 26, 2021, 12:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Pundit hits out at Roy Hodgson treatment following Crystal Palace exit

Roy Hodgson is being disrespected on his way out of Crystal Palace, says former Premier League striker Brian Deane.

The 73-year-old managed his last game for Palace over the weekend and the south London club are now searching for a new manager.

Hodgson's future had been up in the air all season due to his expiring contract, resulting in constant talk about the likes of Frank Lampard and Scott Parker potentially taking over.

For Deane, it has left a bit of a sour taste in his mouth, not happy with how some have spoken about Hodgson, especially compared to Lampard and Parker, who are both still quite inexperienced in this department of the game.

Speaking exclusively to TT about Palace's manager situation, the ex-Sheffield United and Leeds United forward said:

"I've heard a couple of people on the radio say Scott Parker will be a good fit there or Frank Lampard. Listen, Roy Hodgson, he knows more on one hand than both of those guys put together. I think it's [some of things that have been said] disrespectful.

"Yeah, people can turnaround and say they don't play the most exciting football, but I think the balance is good because if you're going to throw everything at games, then you're going to lose more than half of them in the Premier League.

"I think what he's done is he's built a very good foundation."

Indeed, over the last few seasons, Palace have looked like a solid team and one that rarely came into any sort of real relegation danger.

Hodgson definitely deserves a whole lot of credit for that after picking up a Palace side that were going absolutely nowhere under Frank de Boer.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/crystal-palace-news/exclusive-pundit-hits-out-at-roy-hodgson-treatment-following-crystal-palace-exit-rumour-frank-lampard-e122/

WhiteJC

'Please stay', 'Shame it didn't work out' – These Fulham fans react to player message following relegation

Ademola Lookman has revealed that he enjoyed his time at Fulham, even though the season ended in relegation.

The Cottagers will be playing in the Championship next season after a poor campaign that saw them ultimately end up 11 points from safety in the Premier League.

Despite the overall negativity, Lookman, who joined on loan from RB Leipzig, was one of few to emerge with any credit as he scored four goals and registered the same number of assists.

And, it appears the wide man appreciated how the club helped him, as he took to Twitter to send a message as he prepares to return to his parent club.

"It's been a long and challenging season filled with highs and lows, and although of course it ended for us in disappointment with us going down, I've loved every single minute of my time at Fulham. Thank you!"

That message went down well with the Fulham support, as they recognised the effort and commitment that Lookman put in during the past year, even if he made some mistakes too, including the notable penalty miss at West Ham.

Here we look at the reaction to his tweet, with many urging the 23-year-old to return for another spell next season...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/please-stay-shame-it-didnt-work-out-these-fulham-fans-react-to-player-message-following-relegation/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kevin McDonald having kidney transplant on Friday - and brother is donor

Fulham and Scotland star Kevin McDonald is suffering from stage five kidney disease and will go under the knife later this week with his brother donating the organ he needs

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald will undergo a kidney transplant on Friday with his brother as the donor.

McDonald, 32, revealed in March he had been playing for over a decade with a kidney disease and requires an operation to improve his long-term health.

The Cottagers star confirmed on Monday that he will go under the knife at the end of this week, with his brother donating the kidney he needs.

Revealing the news to his Instagram followers, McDonald said: "For those wondering where things are at regarding my health. I'm due to have my kidney transplant this Friday donated by my brother.

"I will update you all on my recovery. Thanks as always for your support throughout."

McDonald has received messages of support from throughout the world of football, with Charlie Adam dedicating Dundee's play-off win over Kilmarnock to the Scottish star.

He said: "There will be plenty of tears but I want to thank my family and friends who have supported me – it's been a great time, but I also want to dedicate this promotion to Kevin McDonald, a former player at Dundee who is going to have a kidney transplant this week.

"I want to dedicate that to him because as footballers we go through tough times. Kev, if you're watching, that's for you pal."

The Fulham star has made over 500 professional appearances for a host of clubs, including Dundee, Burnley, Sheffield United and Wolves.

Speaking in March, McDonald revealed to Sky Sports the severity of his condition: "I've got one kidney that doesn't work at all and one kidney that's about 10 per cent now.

"I've been playing with stage 1, to now stage 5 kidney disease, which is chronic kidney disease, kidney failure.

"Over the years, my kidney function has got worse. That's what happens as part of the disease, it gets worse over time.

"We hoped I could get through my football career, then have a kidney transplant at the end of it but, unfortunately, it's not happened."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/kevin-mcdonald-fulham-kidney-transplant-24177811

WhiteJC

Ola: Fulham A Part Of Me

Ola Aina was gutted his return to South-West London didn't have a better outcome, but he's certainly felt at home as part of the Fulham family.

With his actual family living a stone's throw from our Motspur Park training base, it was an ideal loan move from Torino for the versatile defender.

"For me, to be back in London especially, back in the area, was really good for me," he told the official website. "I've got good friends round here, my family, which is good for that extra support.

"My family loved it. My little brothers did. The littlest one had really missed me for two years, with me being in Italy, so for me to come back here was really good."

After making his debut for the Whites on a difficult night in the Carabao Cup against Brentford, Aina seemed to grow with every performance in a Fulham shirt, and ended up becoming a pillar of consistency.

"The beginning for me, my first match, was a bit shaky," he admitted. "But since then I feel like the team and the coaching staff put a lot of time into me and I do feel I've improved since I've come in, so it's been a great year for me in that sense, to play consistent Premier League football.

"It was a difficult start for us. Then in the middle of the season things started to look up. We were playing well, playing some good football and picking up some good results.

"Then after that we just seemed to run out of steam. But we still tried to do things the right way, we wanted to play good football."

It seems a strange question to ask considering how the season ultimately ended, but did Aina enjoy his time here?

"I've loved it," he replied. "I get asked this question all the time by a lot of people, and even though we've been relegated, I've loved every minute of this season.

"I've loved the challenge, the coaching staff, my teammates, and I've loved the Club as well. I've loved this Club, it's a very nice club.

"The Club has become a part of me, and a part of all the other loan players, and I think you can see that.

"Even though we're here on loan, we're all part of the same fight. I really think the loan boys have taken up the challenge.

"Off the pitch we've always been very close with each other. We like each other's company, so it's been a really good group.

"We did really care about this season and how we did. It went wrong, but trust me, we really did care."

One regret, though, is that he didn't get to play in front of the Fulham fans more often, something that he feels may have played a part in our relegation.

"I think it's affected most teams," Aina said. "You look at Sheffield United, last year they were flying, and then this season you see what having no fans does.

"I think it's affected a lot of teams, and we're one of those. When we needed fans in the stadium for certain games, there are results that might have gone in our favour if they were there maybe.

"It has played a part in our season, I think, it has affected us. But we can't be making excuses, it is what it is, we didn't manage to stay up, but it would have been lovely for the fans to have been in the stadium this season.

"I'd just like to say thank you to them for all the support you've given me and the team. We wish you'd been with us the whole season, but it was good to have some of you back at the last game."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/may/Ola-Fulham-A-Part-Of-Me/

WhiteJC

Five candidates to replace Scott Parker
Louis Wishlade suggests some names that could replace Scott Parker, should he or the club decide that it's time for a change.

With the season over, Scott Parker's future at the club feels uncertain, thanks in part to his recent comments and the complete lack of comment from the powers that be. So, should one or both of the involved parties decide that it's time for a change, who could be lined up to replace him? Here are five suggestions:

First, the honourable mentions
Before we begin, here are the inevitable frontrunners. Eddie Howe has been linked to what seems like every managerial job under the sun since he left Bournemouth. But, with teams such as Tottenham, Celtic and even England supposedly after him, would he really join Fulham?

The names Andre Villas-Boas, David Wagner and Marco Silva may also be mentioned, all of whom are currently looking for work. The trio all have experience at the helm of a Premier League club and could prove to be valuable additions to the Motspur Park backroom for a long-term project.

Fulham legend Chris Coleman also finds himself out of contract having left Hebei China Fortune in 2019, and could find himself linked to any vacancy. Though it might seem a bit leftfield, the Welshman is somewhat of a known quantity at the club and he would surely be greeted back at the Cottage with open arms.

Some may also look towards current Championship managers who have impressed this season. Steve Cooper has done a wonderful job with Swansea this season, having built a brilliant side that we'll all be cheering on in the Championship play-off final. We may also see the manager of Cooper's beaten semi-final opponents, Barnsley, tipped for the job as Valerein Ismael has enjoyed a stellar season with the Terriers.

However, what other, more obscure names, could steer the ship of HMS Piss the League next season and sail into the top division for the fourth time this century?

Vincenzo Montella
A name that's often bounced around on social media when it's time for the Whites to find a new head coach is Vincenzo Montella.

The former Fulham striker, nicknamed 'L'Aeroplanino' after his trademark celebration, has taken both Firoentina and Sevilla into the latter stages of the Champions League and has also taken both the Tuscan and Andelesian sides to domestic cup finals.

The Little Aeroplane also won the Supercoppa Italiana in 2016 with Milan, their first title since 2011. Montella also brought the prestigious black and red side into the 2017/18 Europa League, which was the Rossoneri's first foray into continental competition since 2014.

Montella may also be accustomed to Tony Khan's scattergun recruitment techniques, as he oversaw Fiorentina's massive squad overhaul of 2012/13, with 17 of 26 players new to the purple shirt. He found himself in a remarkably similar situation with Milan in 2017/18, as the club's new owners bankrolled the side to the tune of €200 million, upsetting the squad balance – and his tactics – in the process.

The Roma legend, who hasn't held a managerial job since late 2019, is known for his intricate possession-based style of play and, while he has made adjustments to his style throughout his coaching career, he's usually rotated through variations of the 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 formations. Montella's playing style places an emphasis on moving the ball through the centre of the pitch, overloading the midfield and on the wing-backs to drive forward with the attack, hugging the touchline.

However, with his history of managing prestigious teams on the verge of qualifying for continental competitions, Montella may not be interesting in joining soon-to-be second tier Fulham on what looks like a multi-year project. So, sadly, this may just be a pipe dream.

Michael Appleton
Born in Salford, Appleton came through Manchester United's academy a few short years before the 'class of '96'. After his playing career, which was mostly spent at Preston North End and West Bromwich Albion, was ended prematurely due to injury, he turned to management.

Michael endured a tough start in the dugout with Portsmouth as they were relegated from the Championship in 2011/12, a season summed up by new signing Kelvin Etuhu's eight-month stretch in prison. Appleton then suffered two short and unsuccessful spells at the helm of Blackpool and Blackburn before he found a home at Oxford United in 2014/15.

Appleton led the Yellows to automatic promotion from League Two in his second season, before finishing an impressive eighth in League One. He also led the U's to two successive EFL Trophy finals at Wembley in a squad that included talents such as Kemar Roofe and Jonny Lundstram, due to his transfer policy of signing undervalued youngsters from Premier League academies.

The former midfielder now manages Lincoln City after replacing Danny Cowley – another impressive lower-league manager who could be linked with the Whites. Appleton has brought the Imps to the League One play-off final, which is an impressive feat when considering that they have exclusively signed only free agents during his tenure.

The former-Preston midfielder has a very clear tactical identity which he likes to impose at each football club. This was once summed up by the Oxford Mail in an article entitled "Michael Appleton: Oxford United show attractive football can win promotion" as a system of high tempo, attractive passing football that produces goals and wins games – with 107 goals scored and 32 games won in 2015/16. For a better insight into his style, I implore you to watch some of his videos on The Coaches' Voice.

Having seen his Oxford side play with my own eyes, I can tell you that I'd love for this move to happen. Appleton could be perfect for a long-term project with Fulham due to his malleability with recruitment, focus on promoting youth and exhilarating style of play. But it could be a risk at Championship and Premier League level, at which he's untested.

Željko Buvač
Željko Buvač is a Bosnian former footballer who is most famous for being Jurgen Klopp's long-time assistant manager. He's credited for devising the 'Gegenpress' style, with Klopp himself labelling Buvač as "the brain", which was first implemented at Mainz 05 before its success at Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool.

While Buvač has had no real success with his own managerial career, which includes a stint at German fifth tier SC Neukirchen in 1998-2001 and Bosnian 'entity' Republika Srpska, which isn't recognised by FIFA or UEFA, he says he essentially "did the job of the manager for 17 years".

Therefore, should a club decide to take a punt on Buvač, who's now the sporting director of FC Dynamo Moscow, they should surely receive a man of great tactical knowledge and football management experience. This may put Fulham in good stead for promotion and survival using high intensity and high pressing footballing side as Buvač would look to employ a sense of urgency that's been lacking in SW6 in recent years.

Because Buvač has experience as a sporting director, a role which sits in between the Chairman and manager of a football club, he may also be able to navigate Fulham's divisive recruitment strategy, applying the necessary pressure on Tony Khan.

This may allow him to mould the club to his desires, something that not even Jokanovic truly managed. In Buvač's case, this would most likely be a tireless 4-3-3 set-up that looks to press the opposition hard, counterattacking at any opportunity.

While handing a man that has little previous experience in the head coach role is a huge risk, the record Klopp's understudies and fellow Gegenpress aficionados, such as Daniel Farke and David Wagner, in the Championship proves that it may just be worth it.

Franck Haise
Franck Haise is a French former footballer who enjoyed a career spanning more than 300 games across 16 years in the country's second division. After hanging up his boots in the 2003/04 season, Haise joined Stade Rennes's youth squad as a coach, slowly moving up the club's age groups before his first managerial job at conference side US Change. After just a year in this role, Haise was picked up by FC Lorient to lead their reserve side. After three years at FC Lorient as the reserve team manager, first team assistant manager and finally interim first team manager, Haise moved to RC Lens to fill their own vacancy at the helm of their reserve side.

Haise impressed while leading the Artesians' second team between 2017 and 2020, earning the former midfielder the head coach role, replacing the outgoing Philippe Montanier in February 2019. Haise managed to keep the gold and red side on course for the remainder of the season, steering them to second in Ligue 2 and securing automatic promotion – although it is worth noting that he was only at the helm for two games before the entirity of French football was declared null and void.

However, its been the 2020/21 season where Haise has really worked his magic. The French manager, who when asked to comment on his style of play simply said "I don't have a favourite system. For some time now, we have often played 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-2 with the midfielder moving. This is the one I use because it more closely matches the squad and the players", has steered a Lens side, which was tipped for a relegation battle, to seventh in Ligue 1.

His Lens side is described as "rarely a defensive team" who "frequently look to engage the opposition high up the pitch, and even when they stay deeper, they will come alive when certain triggers are met" by onlookers. The gold and red side look to win the ball high up the pitch, with every forward expected to take part.

This intensity is carried into the attack, with the two strikers and the number 10 staying narrow to encourage the opposition's defender to play wide while the Lens wing-backs bomb down the sides of the pitch. This all-or-nothing approach does have its weaknesses, however, with the big gaps left behind the wing-backs open to exploitation – shown by side's goal difference of just +1 despite having scored an impressive 55 goals this season.

However, following Ranieri and Parker's somewhat mundane styles of play, some excitement could be what we need at the Cottage – especially if Haise is able to bring his experience in youth management to bring more of Fulham's golden generation into the fold.

Urs Fischer
Urs Fischer is another is another manager who's fairly new to the job, having progressed through jobs at youth level before impressing at senior level. The 55-year-old is the Swiss Super League's record appearance holder with 545 appearances as he captained FC Zurich and FC St. Gallen.

After the end of his playing career, the former Swiss international managed FC Zurich at various youth levels. After a short spell as assistant manager at the club, he became caretaker manager, then permanent manager – despite losing all three of the games that he oversaw as interim boss. He finished second in the Swiss league in 2010/11 before being sacked in 2012.

Fischer then endured a rather uneventful two-year spell as the boss of Basel between 2015 and 2017 before becoming the new head of 1. FC Union Berlin in 2018. In his time at the German outfit, Fischer has far exceeded expectations, securing promotion in his first season after a third place finish.

This season, Die Eisernen finished seventh in the Bundesliga, one place outside the European qualification spots. Fischer has managed this while maintaining a goal difference of +6 using his trademark 3-4-1-2 formation. The Swiss manager has set his side up to play without possession against the big sides, looking to hit them hard on the counter.

His counter-pressing, counter-attacking tactic, which heavily exploits set pieces – traditionally one of Fulham's weakness – has performed well this season, earning the Iron Ones an impressive 14 points in 12 games against the Bundesliga top six so far this season, including a final day win over RB Leipzig. Hell, he even looks like Pulis with his cap on!

While Fischer doesn't play the silky football that the Fulham hierarchy have looked to employ in recent years, perhaps a few years of overachieving using more attritional football, similar to that of the Hodgson golden days, could cement the Whites' Premier League status before we're afforded the luxury of tiki-taka.

If, as the rumbles suggest, Parker walks or is pushed, hopefully you see something in these five that excites you. And who knows, maybe one will become a reality.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-05-25-five-candidates-to-replace-scott-parker/

WhiteJC

Charlie Adam dedicates Dundee play-off triumph to Kevin McDonald ahead of ex-Dundee star's kidney transplant

Charlie Adam has dedicated Dundee's top-flight return to Kevin McDonald as the former Dark Blues star prepares to undergo a kidney transplant on Friday.

Fulham star McDonald has been battling kidney disease for the last 14 months and will undergo surgery on Friday after an organ donation from his elder brother Fraser.

And Adam devoted Dundee's promotion to the Scottish Premiership to McDonald moments after helping them secure a 4-2 aggregate play-off win over Kilmarnock.

"I want to dedicate this promotion to Kevin McDonald, who is a former player of Dundee and is going to go in and have a kidney transplant this week," Adam told Sky Sports.

"I want to dedicate that him. As footballers you go through tough times, so Kevin if you are watching: 'That's for you pal.'"

McDonald took to Instagram earlier this week to reveal he was undergoing surgery to avoid being place on dialysis.

On his Instagram story, he wrote: "For those wondering where things are at regarding my health.

"I am due to have my kidney transplant this Friday donated by my brother.

"I will update you all on my recovery. Thanks as always for your support throughout."

McDonald has been capped five times by Scotland since he was handed his debut by Alex McLeish in 2018.

Meanwhile, Adam couldn't contain his delight at achieving his goal of helping his childhood club get back to the top of Scottish football.

Adam made a shock move north to Dark Blues last summer having spent eleven years in England at Liverpool, Stoke City, Blackpool and Reading.

"It's something I'm really proud of," said Adam who has 26 Scotland caps. "To captain and and take my boyhood club back to the Premier League was what I set out to do. I'm glad I've managed to do that.

"There will be plenty of tears. I want to thank my family and friends who have supported me. It's been a great time.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/2252683/charlie-adam-dedicates-dundee-play-off-triumph-to-kevin-mcdonald-ahead-of-kidney-transplant/

WhiteJC

Club ready to make offer for Fulham player ahead of summer window – Loan with option

Turkish newspaper Fotomac claim Fenerbahce are interested in signing Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic ahead of the summer window.

The Turkish side will be in the transfer market for a centre forward next season as they are looking to part ways with Mbwana Samatta, who they signed from Aston Villa last year.

It's been widely covered in the Turkish media that Fener are also interested in their former striker Vedat Muriqi, who's endured a tough spell since signing for Lazio just under 12 months ago. Fotomac say Cim Bom could look to partner Muriqi with Mitrovic in a new-look attack.

Fotomac adds Fenerbahce are preparing to make a loan offer with an option to buy the Fulham player, and that the interest from the Istanbul side is said to be very serious.

The 26-year-old has had a disappointing season with Fulham scoring just three goals in 27 appearances. Mitrovic's contract at Craven Cottage will expire at the end of June 2024.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-ready-make-offer-fulham-player-ahead-summer-window/

WhiteJC

Centre back duo in Canaries' sights

Norwich City's centre back search does include tracking both Fulham's Tosin Adarabioyo and FC Koln's Sebastiaan Bornauw.

Skysports transfer ticker claimed on Tuesday morning the duo interest the newly-promoted Premier League club.

City's scouts have run the rule over the pair, and do want to add a centre back to compete with Ben Gibson, Grant Hanley and Christoph Zimmermann.

Youngster Andrew Omobamidele also impressed during a late season run to the Championship title, with the teenage defender earning his first call up to the Republic of Ireland's seniors on Monday.

Adarabioyo was part of Fulham squad swapping places with the Canaries next season, after relegation from the Premier League. The 23-year-old centre back made 33 top flight appearances after sealing a £2m move from Manchester City last summer.

The powerhouse defender has represented England at every age group level upto Under-19 and is under contract at Craven Cottage until 2023.

Belgian international Bornauw is part of a FC Koln squad preparing for a Bundesliga relegation play-off against Holstein Kiel after finishing third bottom in the German top flight. The opening leg is on Wednesday.

The former Anderlecht junior is under contract until 2024 but the £11m-rated defender's future is likely to hinge on Koln's survival bid.

Bornauw scored the winner over Schalke last weekend that condemned Werder Bremen to automatic relegation and earned his side a potential escape route.

The defender missed three months of the season after an operation on his spine.

Skysports suggested earlier in the day Norwich have watched the duo 'closely' this past season.

City's target list includes a centre back, two central midfielders and an attacking wide player. The club would also like to bring Olly Skipp back from Tottenham for another loan spell, although Skipp's foot injury and the search for a new head coach at Spurs are likely to be major complicating factors.

Sporting director Stuart Webber has made it clear quality not quantity is the key plank of their proposed squad makeover in the weeks ahead.

The summer transfer window officially opens in early June with the new Premier League season commencing on the weekend of August 14.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-transfer-rumours-bornauw-adarabioyo-7999992

WhiteJC

Antonee Robinson addresses Fulham fans following Premier League relegation

Fulham tried their hardest, but it wasn't quite enough to stave off the threat of relegation from the Premier League after just one season back.

The Cottagers were triumphant in the Championship play-off final last year against neighbours Brentford but the quick turnaround between that win and the start of the Premier League season meant pretty much a whole new team needed to gel, but it never quite worked out.

Scott Parker brought in 11 new players in the summer and some were more successful than other on a personal level, with Antonee Robinson being one of the more consistent ones.

Less than a year after a dream switch from Wigan Athletic to A.C. Milan fell through due to concerns over a heart issue detected during the American's medical, Robinson switched to Craven Cottage for £2 million and ended up playing 28 Premier League matches for Fulham this past season.

Robinson will likely go into the 2021/22 campaign as Parker's starting left-back and he's addressed the Fulham fans following the disappointment of dropping back into the second tier of English football when some perhaps thought the squad had enough to stay in the Premier League.

The Verdict

Whilst it's still out in the open as to whether Robinson is good enough to be a Premier League player consistently, his efforts from this past campaign cannot be faulted.

He made the left-back spot his own and unless a top flight team puts in a bid for him going into next season then he's bound to develop once again by playing week in, week out for Fulham in the Championship.

From the responses to his Instagram message, Robinson is well-liked at the club by supporters and if he continues to fly down the left flank to create attacks next season, he's found to be a fan favourite once they're back populating stadiums.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/antonee-robinson-addresses-fulham-fans-following-premier-league-relegation/

WhiteJC

'The ghost' – Player won't stay at Fulham, move to another London club possible

In need of regular game time, Fulham provided Alphonse Areola an escape route from Paris Saint-Germain last summer.

The Cottagers took the 28-year-old on loan, with an option to make his stay permanent.

He was the first-choice goalkeeper for Scott Parker's side, who were relegated from the Premier League. With the player still owned by PSG, L'Equipe take a look at his situation in today's edition of the newspaper.

Despite being voted as Fulham's Player of the Season, the France international 'will not stay' with the London club.

The keeper will return to Parc des Princes, and Mauricio Pochettino's side will have to find a solution for 'the ghost' [Areola].

Keylor Navas is the main keeper at PSG, meaning Areola will have to settle for less game time if he decides to continue with his parent club.

The Paris-born player will not be satisfied with a limited role and his 'high salary' is a 'barrier' for PSG to send him out on loan again.

L'Equipe points out Areola is 'very attached to his London life' so a possible stay in the English capital next season cannot be ruled out. However, it won't be at Fulham.

Earlier this month, reports from the British press talked about West Ham United's interest in the custodian. If David Moyes' side decide to make an approach for Areola, he would consider joining the Hammers.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/ghost-player-wont-stay-fulham-move-another-london-club-possible/

WhiteJC

Fulham star and former Raith Rovers striker Kieron Bowie receives first Scotland under 21 call up
Former Raith Rovers and Fife Elite striker Kieron Bowie has received his first call up to the Scotland under 21s international squad.

The Fulham forward, 18, is one of a number of new faces selected by Scott Gemmill as they prepare for a friendly double header against Northern Ireland next month.

It will be the first match the under 21s have played in six months and both games will take place behind closed doors at Dumbarton's C&G Systems Stadium on Wednesday, June 2 and Saturday, June 5.

Kirkcaldy native Bowie began his career with Fife Elite in 2018 before a move to Rovers in 2019 where he went straight in to the first team at just 16-years old.

He was a regular feature in John McGlynn's squad, making 35 appearances in all competitions and scoring ten goals before the season was curtailed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

In July last year he was snapped up by English Premiership side Fulham, having agreed a deal the previous February, and went straight in to Under 18s side at Craven Cottage where he would net 15 times in 21 games in the 2020-21 season.

The upcoming matches with Northern Ireland are seen as a valuable chance to get the youngsters back on the pitch ahead of the 2023 UEFA European Under 21 Championship qualifiers which get underway in September.

Gemmill has named a 24-player squad for the matches with Brian Kinnear, Lewis Mayo and Glenn Middleton the only players remaining from the previous squad named in October 2020.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-star-and-former-raith-rovers-striker-kieron-bowie-receives-first-scotland-under-21-call-up-3249426

WhiteJC

Why Fulham must look to the future

The end of one of the most exhausting Fulham seasons in living memory is finally upon us. The summer, such as it is, can't come soon enough. The Whites have long been resigned to an immediate return to the Championship, another rebuild and – potentially – a period of introspection about why they've proven quite so unsuccessful about bridging the gap to the English top flight.

I've spoken to, heard and read plenty of Fulham fans saying just how disconnected they feel from the club currently. There are a number of reasons for that of course. The first has to be the unique circumstances in which we have lived through the past couple of years. For many, a trip to Craven Cottage was so much more than a game of football – a shared experience passed down through families, living vicariously through our footballing heroes helps as a form of escapism after the working week. For some of us, just a visit to the club's historic home – unique in English football – is quite a tonic. When the opportunity to share that experience is removed, then disenchantment will understandably follow. It just isn't the same watching on television.

What we've watched also has to have played a part. Fulham haven't been good enough over the course of a chastening season. They looked like relegation fodder when the Premier League season kicked off, hopelessly undermanned in defence, and whilst belated recruitment made the team more competitive, Scott Parker's side were just not able to make the most of many a crucial moment. They went down with a whimper rather than a fight – and nobody was able to argue about it being an injustice.

Blame will be apportioned in plenty of directions. Parker, himself, remains a novice manager and the bald facts of his Premier League record make for grim reading. His football, never adventurous even in the Championship, was risk-averse and designed to ensure his side didn't lose games: far too often Fulham looked content to try and stay in matches rather than win them. The collapse over the last ten games was alarming. It was almost like Fulham were trapped in a total tailspin. You'd like to give a young manager learning his trade more time to succeed, but some of his selections (or non-selections in the case of Aleksandar Mitrovic) become more baffling the longer the season went on. There's no doubt that his attacking tactical approach could do with some work – nine home goals all season, a Premier League record, is shambolic.

The club also have to ask some serious questions about how well they prepared Parker for the task ahead: staying up as a side promoted through the play-offs is a tall order (as we've already experienced) and the squad assembled for the start of the season was patently not good enough. Tony Khan's role as director of football should rightly some under scrutiny given the ignominy of this relegation and the fact that Fulham's position this summer is so similar to 2019. A surfeit of loan players heading back to their parent clubs on completion of an underwhelming season and, perhaps most galling of all, plenty of others loaned out with their own futures up in the air. That's before we discuss whether the pathway from the academy into the first team remains fully open. Why did it take so long for us to see Fabio Carvalho, for instance?

The template for the summer has largely been set already. Fulham have the makings of a strong Championship side when you consider that the likes of Rodak, Tete, Bryan, Robinson, Kongolo, Adarabioyo, Reed, Onomah, Decordova-Reid and Cairney are likely to be around. The club has to take a decision about how to build the rest of the squad – and how many of the academy's promising starlets are able to progress. The work of Malcolm Elias, Huw Jennings and Steve Wigley in honing the next generation of first-team players has borne significant fruit – and the route to sustainability has to be to offer some of these youngsters a chance in the first-team. Financial fair play considerations alone will rule out a spending splurge.

Lots of football clubs and coaches spend a lot of time talking about identity these days. I genuinely couldn't spell out what Fulham's looks like. That needs to change – and quick. It's far more important than protecting a few egos. The Motspur Park academy is one of the British game's best resources. It is high time that Fulham utilised it fully – the rewards could be rich.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/05/why-fulham-must-look-to-the-future/

WhiteJC

Bowie earns first Scotland U21 call up

Fulham forward Kieron Bowie has been called up to the Scotland under-21 international squad for the first time after an outstanding first season with the club.

The teenage forward, who joined Fulham last summer after excelling for Raith Rovers' senior side, made an immediate impact in west London. He quickly became a key fixture in Steve Wigley's under 18 side, scoring 15 goals in 21 appearances as the young Whites stormed to the U18 Premier League south title earlier this month.

Scottish under-21 boss Scott Gemmill has included Bowie in a 24-man squad for a double header against Northern Ireland in Dumbarton on June 2 and June 5. The two friendlies are the Scottish side's first fixtures in six months and represent the build-up for their 2023 under-21 European Championship qualifying campaign.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/05/bowie-earns-first-scotland-u21-call-up/

WhiteJC

Ream commits future to Fulham

Veteran defender Tim Ream has committed his future to Fulham following the London club's relegation to the Championship.

The experienced American centre back, who extended his contract at Craven Cottage last summer to 2022, told a press conference ahead of his Concacaf Nations League duty with the United States that has discussed his future with Fulham and wants to help Scott Parker's side secure an immediate return to the top flight.

The 33 year-old said:

"I'm happy to stay at Fulham and play my part. I've had conversations with Scott [Parker] and the backroom staff, they want me there and I want to be there. I still have that drive to stay in England. I'd love the daily, the daily grind and constant pressure, promotion/relegation, trying to be the best that you can possibly be, with consequences. And if you don't perform, you're dropped very quickly."

Ream made only ten first-team appearances for Fulham this season, but was named captain for the Whites' final two fixtures against Manchester United and Newcastle. The former Bolton defender has made 204 appearances in six years at Craven Cottage and has become something of a cult hero amongst the Fulham faithful.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/05/ream-commits-future-to-fulham/