more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 29/05/21...

Started by WhiteJC, May 28, 2021, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Report: Jokanovic wants Tom Cairney as first Sheffield United signing

Slavisa Jokanovic could make quick use of his old Fulham links, by making a move for 30-year-old midfielder, Tom Cairney.

That is according to FootballLeagueWorld, who published an exclusive report last night claiming Jokanovic has his eye on Cairney already.

Cairney was a vital part of the Fulham team when Jokanovic was in charge at Craven Cottage. Sure enough, in 2017, Cairney won the EFL Player of the Year Award at the London Football Awards. That night, Jokanovic praised Cairney for 'growing'.

"He brings many things, he's an important part of our team in terms of dominating the game and he connects many successful passes," Jokanovic said that night.

Cairney has missed the majority of this season with a knee injury. However, he is said to be working his way back to fitness, with FLW claiming the twice-capped Scotland ace is open to a summer move.

The Fulham man's crowning moment came in the playoff final a few season back. Cairney netted the winner against Aston Villa that day, helping Jokanovic to get that second Championship promotion.

While it is an easy enough transfer rumour to piece together, a fully fit Tom Cairney improves this Sheffield United team. There is no doubt about it.

Sander Berge and John Lundstram will be on their way out. Naturally, there'll be at least one midfield place going there, and Cairney could slot in nicely.

He's also played with Oliver Norwood before. They played as part of the midfielder alongside another former Blades in Kevin McDonald, so there'd be not big settling in period needed.

However, Cairney needs to show he is fit and over this injury. At 30, he'd be a signing where we'd be looking to get a few good years out of him. It must, then, make financial sense for United if we do go for him.

But in terms of raw ability, Championship nouse, and a player Jokanovic knows and trusts, they don't come much more obvious than Cairney.

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/news/report-sheffield-united-want-to-sign-fulhams-tom-cairney/

WhiteJC

Reed wants to bounce straight back with Fulham

Harrison Reed admits that Fulham's relegation from the Premier League 'hasn't sunk in yet' but the tigerish midfielder is already targeting an immediate return to the top flight.

The former Southampton midfielder has quickly become a favourite of the Fulham faithful after building on an impressive loan spell at Craven Cottage with an excellent first season after signing for the Whites permanently, despite the massive disappointment of relegation. The 26 year-old's energy and reading of the game was pivotal in helping Scott Parker's bridge the gap from Championship promotion contenders to becoming competitive in the league above, although he admits the pain of the drop is still very raw.

In a wide-ranging interview with the Athletic, Reed says:

"It hasn't sunk in yet. For so long, we believed that we could really do it, that we really could stay in the league, and that we deserved to stay in the league. But over the course of 38 games, it's not down to luck, we fell short. You can look back at key moments and say, 'We were unlucky here', 'We didn't get the decision here'. But there's only so much that counts for."

"We didn't have the quality in certain moments to kill a game or see it out. It is really painful because for so long, we were so competitive. We were just the one goal away from picking up more points in certain games. Over the course of a season, that's huge.

"It was difficult. We've gone from winning games in the Championship to being on the receiving end in the Premier League, and you're in the spotlight with the coverage the Premier League gets. We found out early on that you make one mistake, even if it's not a glaring mistake, but one player switches off tactically, out of possession, the opposition see it and they can score."

"In those moments, you sink or swim. We had to understand where we were going wrong, where we needed to improve. We had to be brutal. The manager was brilliant; he understood the dynamics of a Premier League game more than what we did as players. He spoke to us at length about what needed to change how we needed to manage games better. We became a very competitive side.

"We had belief. It never wavered until it was impossible to do the job — that comes from the manager. Working hard, disciplined, not letting defeats kill us. While we haven't been successful as a team on the pitch, in terms of building the mentality and building people, I feel that the manager has been successful."

Reed reveals that, although it was a wrench to leave his boyhood club Southampton, he was eager to make the move to Fulham after helping them win the Championship play-off final and that he feels so comfortable at Craven Cottage that he is fully committed to helping the club return to the elite level of English football next season.

"It was an amazing season. I knew in my head that it was what I wanted to do, and I was pushing every day to get it over the line as quickly as possible. I felt it was the right time to move on. I feel like when you find the manager and a place where you feel at home, it makes the decision really easy. And that's what I have at Fulham."

Reed credits Parker both as a huge influence in bringing him to Craven Cottage and developing his game as a deep-lying midfielder.

"I got a phone call to say that Fulham were really interested and the manager wanted me. It was almost a perfect fit. It started with more detail, with how he wanted me to play, the job of that No 6 position. It's an important position. It's there for the build-up, to link defence to attack, to link the wide triangles to the opposite sides, to shut down counter-attacks.

"There's a lot of detail that you need to know to be able to play that position in his team. He made sure I understood every part of the game. It was then about being a character in the team, about being an influence off the pitch. I feel like he's given me that responsibility. I looked at the stats early on, and it wasn't quite good enough in the first few games. I improved from that point: the duels, 50-50s, tackles, interceptions."

Reed remains hungry for success and, whilst careful not to overlook the depth of competition in the Championship, believes that Fulham can realistically consider themselves amongst the leading contenders for promotion next season.

"My initial reaction after this season is to get back there as quick as possible. Listen, the Championship is a very, very competitive league, it takes a lot of quality and a mentality and consistency to be successful but last season and this season will stand us in good stead. I've really enjoyed the season in the Premier League. I've loved it, I feel like I've grown as a player. I can't wait to get back there. We can do that next season."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/05/reed-wants-to-bounce-straight-back-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

Liverpool could sell Fulham, Stoke City-linked striker Taiwo Awoniyi

Liverpool could sell Championship-linked Taiwo Awoniyi this summer, as detailed in a report by The Athletic.

Liverpool may opt to let the Stoke City, Fulham and West Brom target leave on a permanent basis.

Awoniyi, who is 23 years old, spent the past season on loan in the Bundesliga at Union Berlin.

He is wanted by Stoke, Fulham and West Brom, as well as Stuttgart and Wolfsbury, according to a recent report by Goal.

Awoniyi's chances of breaking into Liverpool's first-team next term are slim and The Athletic have suggested he could be sold over the coming months as the Reds look to clear out some fringe players.

The Nigerian striker moved to the Merseyside club in 2015 but has never made a first-team appearance for the Premier League giants.

Instead, he has been loaned out several times all over Europe to gain experience.

He has been with NEC Nijmegen, Royal Excel Mouscron, Gent, Mainz and Union Berlin over recent years and may now fancy a crack in the Championship.

Both Fulham and West Brom are back in the second tier for the next campaign following their respective relegations from the Premier League.

They could see Awoniyi as someone to boost their attacking options.

However, the pair may have to face competition from Stoke if they are to lure him away from Anfield.

https://the72.co.uk/237327/liverpool-could-sell-fulham-stoke-city-linked-striker-taiwo-awoniyi/

WhiteJC

Fulham forward made available to Southampton as Ralph Hasenhuttl reveals transfer stance

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has told HampshireLive that the club will be 'keeping their eyes open' in the hunt for a striker this summer with the Austrian keen to bolster his ranks

French club Bordeaux have informed Premier League clubs that Fulham loan striker Josh Maja is available this summer at what could prove to be a bargain price.

The 22-year-old striker spent the latter half of last season on loan with Scott Parker's side, scoring three goals in 15 appearances, many of which came from the bench.

Fulham did have an option to buy the Nigeria international upon the end of their loan agreement with the price set at €12m.

However, with relegation confirmed, they have opted against that, returning him to a Bordeaux who are keen to raise funds with his sale.

Speaking to French outlet Sud-Ouest this week, Bordeaux's sporting director Alain Roche revealed that Maja is now available to other Premier League clubs, some of which have identified an interest in signing him.

It comes after Ralph Hasenhuttl told HampshireLive that Southampton would be keeping their eyes open this summer for previously unexpected opportunities to sign a striker who can offer competition and support to Danny Ings and Che Adams.

A move Maja looks likely to fall within Saints' price range and, given recent post-Brexit work permit issues, he would not be required to seek the right to work in the UK.

Southampton will target players around or below the £10m-mark this term with £20m and £30m deals well above the club's current spending power - even if their new and lucrative sponsorship deal with the Coingaming Group is the biggest in their history.

"We must have a look at what we do in the summer. When we have a feeling that we can get somebody in this position, then definitely," manager Ralph Hasenhuttl told HampshireLive when asked if he wants to sign a striker this summer.

"We must always have our eyes open," he added.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-southampton-ralph-hasenhuttl-transfer-5467239

WhiteJC

Prince Abdullah's mission to achieve what Tony Khan couldn't with Slavisa Jokanovic

The new Sheffield United manager has twice achieved promotion from the Championship, but when he led Fulham to the Premier League it was in spite of the club's recruitment

The Blades have their new manager, answering the big question fans have been desperately asking for months.

But there are still other issues that need answers from the Sheffield United hierarchy, and the issue of whether or not they will go with a director of football is at the top of that list.

We can only assume that Jokanovic has been given satisfactory assurances on that front by the club's board, as he will surely be keen to avoid a repeat of the situation that eventually derailed him at Fulham.

Incomings like Aleksandar Mitrovic and Matt Targett stand out in a positive light, but there is also a lot of dross in the long list of players that came and went from Craven Cottage during Jokanovic's time at the helm.

That revolving door of underwhelming players came much to Jokanovic's dissatisfaction, and we don't even need to put the word 'reportedly' in there because he was openly outspoken about it.

After a pre-season friendly before the club's successful promotion campaign in 2017/18, Jokanovic told the press: "My [transfer] list is completely ignored. In this moment, we decide to follow one way [in which] I didn't find so much sense.

"If we want to be better, we need to bring quality people into our squad. At this moment, I don't observe my team as at the highest level, as we were last season.

"In the future, we are going to need some quality players in different positions - at centre-back and striker - and we didn't replace [left-back] Scott Malone, who was a really important player for us. I don't feel any responsibility for the recruitment process.

"But I am going to show my ambition for working with the team on the pitch and show respect to my players, to supporters, and my family to push hard to do everything to be successful."

Of particular irritation to Jokanovic was the club's decision to sell Sone Aluko, which was then in the offing, with the Fulham boss saying he was 'fighting' to keep the forward and that it would be a 'big mistake' to sell him.

Sell him Fulham did, though, and sure enough, they went backwards. As the January transfer window opened that season, Jokanovic's side were 12th – six places lower than they had finished the previous year.

Belatedly, Fulham gave Jokanovic what he wanted, with Southampton left-back Targett and Newcastle striker Mitrovic both arriving on loan in the January transfer window, with Middlesbrough right-back Cyrus Christie also coming in as a permanent signing.

The result? Fulham were by far the best side in the Championship between the turn of the new year and the end of the season, racking up an incredible 52 points in 21 games – nine more than the next-best side, Cardiff City. A place in the playoffs was Fulham's reward, and victory over Aston Villa at Wembley clinched their promotion.

Had Tony Khan listened to Jokanovic in the first place, though, the lottery of the playoffs could have been avoided – and perhaps they wouldn't have immediately come back down from the Premier League with just 26 points despite spending over £100m on new players who mostly turned out to be dismal flops.

Whether Sheffield United hire a director of football or not, Prince Abdullah must be much more willing to work with Jokanovic and value his professional judgement as to the makeup of his squad.

Jokanovic has proved that he knows what it takes to get out this division. Sheffield United's job now is to give him what he needs.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/prince-abdullah-tony-khan-jokanovic-20701824

WhiteJC

Arsenal consider £20m Fulham midfielder as new Thomas Partey partner

It isn't often that a player who gets relegated twice in their only two Premier League seasons can come away with a variety of potential suitors, but for Andre-Frank Anguissa there will be plenty of clubs swarming, looking to obtain his services. Anguissa has been a bright spark in both his seasons for Fulham and despite their overall poor performances, Anguissa has impressed.

The Mail Online has stated that one of the many clubs looking to buy Anguissa is Arsenal. The links between both the player and the North-London club have circulated since his introduction to English football and have recently started to intensify with rumours regarding Arsenal's centre-midfielders aplenty.

With Dani Ceballos returning to Madrid after a lacklustre second season in the Premier League and Granit Xhaka and Joe Willock being heavily touted for their services, it would appear that a new central midfielder arriving at Arsenal is imminent.

Anguissa would represent a different midfield profile to the aforementioned midfielders and, if the rumours are true, it would suggest that Edu and Arteta are looking to build a solid base at the heart of midfield with Anguissa slotting in alongside last season's marquee signing Thomas Partey. From watching both these players conduct their business in midfield, there are many similarities between the two profiles.

They both have a strong ability to win the ball back, using their long legs to grasp balls which seem out of their reach, both in the tackle and when latching onto passes. However, similarly to Partey, Anguissa is equally as strong when on the ball. He has an ability to break through the lines of midfield with his long gait and impressive dribbling skills which creates opportunities to counter from winning the ball back endless.

His passing range is also notable and at the centre of Fulham's play was Anguissa's long, raking switches off the play to change the angle or to kickstart attacks. The possibility of Anguissa and Partey in the middle of the Arsenal midfield would represent a shift to a more physical midfield than what we have seen in recent years at the Emirates and based on Arteta's previous comments on physicality in the Premier League, this seems to be the blueprint for what Arsenal are looking to build.

Anguissa would be a nice addition to what appears to be the bare Arsenal midfield, but due to the previously mentioned similar skillset to Thomas Partey and his inflated price tag, due to competition for his signing, it would appear that there are more attractive options to be had in centre midfield. These links do represent that a central midfielder arriving at Arsenal is likely and with rumours of Sander Berge or Yves Bissouma joining the club it helps to highlight Arsenal's desires.

https://fresharsenal.com/arsenal-consider-20m-fulham-midfielder-as-new-thomas-partey-midfield-partner/

WhiteJC

Fabrizio Romano provides update on Spurs plan for Joachim Andersen

Fabrizio Romano has hinted that Tottenham Hotspur could push ahead with their pursuit of Joachim Andersen after they appoint a new manager.

Despite Fulham's relegation from the Premier League, Andersen's reputation has grown during his season-long loan at Craven Cottage, with the Dane demonstrating that he has all the attributes to succeed in English football.

Some reports have indicated that Spurs could be in the market for more than one centre-back during this summer's transfer window, with Andersen being one of the names rumoured to be on the North Londoners' radar.

The Atheltic's Jack Pitt-Brooke revealed in The View From The Lane podcast this week that Andersen had agreed to join Spurs and that the Lilywhites now have to hammer out an agreement with Lyon.

Romano has now backed up the claim that the 24-year-old is Tottenham's number one centre-back target but the journalist added that Spurs could face plenty of competition for the defender's signature.

Spurs Web Opinion

A deal for Andersen would be a no-brainer for Spurs as he ticks many of the boxes that we need and is unlikely to be too expensive. From the various reports doing the rounds, it sounds like the Dane could be our first signing of the summer once a new manager is confirmed.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/fabrizio-romano-provides-update-on-spurs-plan-for-joachim-andersen/