watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy Hodgson CBE

Started by Kemosabe, June 11, 2021, 10:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Favourite memory of old Riverside, shaking Roy's hand and thanking him for what he had done for FFC.
Now our Queen has thanked him for his outstanding service to Football.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

A well deserved honour for a true gentleman. Congratulations.
At Fulham we should continue to address him as Sir Roy, we know what he really deserves.

Bill2

Congratulations to a true gentleman of the footballing world
Proud to have had you as our manager.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

He did his job. Can't see the big deal to be honest. My missus has just given birth, didn't see any of the midwives, doctors or nurses get an award like this. One of them is worth more than all professional sports persons put together.
Who was it more important to have at the stadium tonight? Footballers or the people that saved Eriksens life.
Sports people shouldn't be given these things ever.

Sir Lewis Hamilton...do me a favour.

blingo

For once I agree, and congratulations to you and yours on your new arrival to the family  :54:

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: blingo on June 12, 2021, 09:29:39 PM
For once I agree, and congratulations to you and yours on your new arrival to the family  :54:

Cheers mate.

Another fulham supporter in our midst

blingo

Of that I have no doubt  076.gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

filham

Tend to agree with those sentiments RufusBrevett but it is the world we live in and it is difficult to change all wrongs.
Could go on but am in danger of becoming political.

Woolly Mammoth

When you see who some of the talentless Gormless Cretins that pick up honours for who they are, I do not begrudge a decent and humble man like Roy an honour.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 13, 2021, 10:09:56 AM
When you see who some of the talentless Gormless Cretins that pick up honours for who they are, I do not begrudge a decent and humble man like Roy an honour.

I understand this, totally. What annoys me more, is when we give knighthoods to the like of Lewis Hamilton because he's the best F1 driver in the world. Other than that, he is barely out of nappies so has hardly contributed to the world, let alone to the sport.

But thats me and I'm getting old and belligerent 😅

Twig

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on June 12, 2021, 09:20:34 PM
He did his job. Can't see the big deal to be honest. My missus has just given birth, didn't see any of the midwives, doctors or nurses get an award like this. One of them is worth more than all professional sports persons put together.
Who was it more important to have at the stadium tonight? Footballers or the people that saved Eriksens life.

Sorry but this is one the most graceless and ill informed comments I have seen on here for a long time.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: Twig on June 13, 2021, 11:11:41 AM
Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on June 12, 2021, 09:20:34 PM

Sorry but this is one the most graceless and ill informed comments I have seen on here for a long time.

Please tell me why?

Twig

Because he didn't get it for "doing his job", he got it for services to the game (a game that provides pleasure to a huge number of football supporters around the world). Similarly LH didn't just get his award for "being the best driver", he is the first F1 driver to stand up and take a public stance against the scourge of racism in sport.
If you don't feel their awards were justified on these grounds that's fine by me but I don't think it's right to denigrate their awards by understating their respective achievements.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: Twig on June 13, 2021, 01:17:36 PM
Because he didn't get it for "doing his job", he got it for services to the game (a game that provides pleasure to a huge number of football supporters around the world). Similarly LH didn't just get his award for "being the best driver", he is the first F1 driver to stand up and take a public stance against the scourge of racism in sport.
If you don't feel their awards were justified on these grounds that's fine by me but I don't think it's right to denigrate their awards by understating their respective achievements.

Services to the game...I.e. his job.
If L H got his for standing up to racism, then fine. However, he's taken a knee on a few occasions, but so have footballers, and 1000s have marched in protest. But he's different why?

filham

I can think of Roy, George Cohen and Bobby Robsonand Jimmy Hill who have received honours, are there any others with strong Fulham links and have we enough to have an honours room set aside in the new stand.