Main Menu

Scott Parker to leave Fulham this week with Bournemouth his likely destination

Started by Allestree andy, June 15, 2021, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plodder

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 15, 2021, 01:53:39 PM
Quote from: Plodder on June 15, 2021, 01:51:51 PM
Quote from: Nero on June 15, 2021, 01:47:51 PM
It's leaving home its leaving home  Parkerballs leaving home  :HD: :HD: :HD:  :Happy New Year 2:  049:gif1

"Parkerball" (possession based football) is the style in which most teams play these days.

Except most teams use possessions as means to an end and play the ball forward at pace, whereas Parkerball is passing sideways for passings sake and not wanting to counter attack

That really is not the case. Does anyone seriously believe that Parker ever said to any of the sides he selected, "Pass the ball sideways for passing's sake, not for any other purpose" or "Whatever you do, do not counter-attack"? Still, if that's what people think, whatever I write is unlikely to lead them to change their opinions..

bill taylors apprentice

While I am ambivalent about Parker leaving, I think the bigger issue here is yet another disgruntled manager who can't work with the owner's son whose methods fail to deliver stability and undermine whoever picks the team.

Jamie88

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 15, 2021, 02:04:57 PM
While I am ambivalent about Parker leaving, I think the bigger issue here is yet another disgruntled manager who can't work with the owner's son whose methods fail to deliver stability.

Sums up my thoughts too. It certainly seems to be the case

Whitestone

Quote from: Jamie88 on June 15, 2021, 02:06:14 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 15, 2021, 02:04:57 PM
While I am ambivalent about Parker leaving, I think the bigger issue here is yet another disgruntled manager who can't work with the owner's son whose methods fail to deliver stability.

Sums up my thoughts too. It certainly seems to be the case

Agree with all of this. I hope that TK learns from this and takes a backward step. Rumours of interference in team selection and not recruiting the players that the manager wanted. The guy will be a thorn in any managers side unless he changes his ways.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Plodder on June 15, 2021, 02:01:11 PM
It's leaving home its leaving home  Parkerballs leaving home  :HD: :HD: :HD:  :Happy New Year 2:  049:gif1

"Parkerball" (possession based football) is the style in which most teams play these days.

Except most teams use possessions as means to an end and play the ball forward at pace, whereas Parkerball is passing sideways for passings sake and not wanting to counter attack

That really is not the case. Does anyone seriously believe that Parker ever said to any of the sides he selected, "Pass the ball sideways for passing's sake, not for any other purpose" or "Whatever you do, do not counter-attack"? Still, if that's what people think, whatever I write is unlikely to lead them to change their opinions..

So explain why we counter attacked fewer than any other team in the Championship in our last season there (this is factual and not an opinion) and in most games had over 60% possession with fewer than 5 shots on target? A team will play as they're coached, the fact that we always played with inverted wingers who would pass the ball inside rather than take on their man and cross to the best #9 in the league speaks volumes of his coaching style.

rebel

Statto

I don't think Magath explicitly told the players to go out and lose every week but it was an inevitable consequence of his coaching and tactics, and I suspect the same applies to Parker and Parkerball. Counterattacking isn't something that happens by chance and our failure to do it as much or effectively as other teams isn't something that happened on its own.

Jules

Agreed! Was just going to type the same thing

MartyFFC

Whilst on the one hand I feel like going out to celebrate the end of coma-inducing Parker Ball, as others have said it troubles me that yet again there is 'friction' with the hierarchy; just like there was with Joka. If I can say one thing in support of Parker, he certainly doesn't come across as being someone who would be particularly difficult to work with

clarkey

If you think Parker coached the side well in the Championship you clearly did not watch many of the games. He made mistake after mistake
Even more errors in selection than last season, which was hard, and his subs were always late, never game changing for the better and ill thought out.

He is just not a good coach. No shame in that. But he was poor.

We now have a chance to appoint someone a lot brighter and better and hopefully in tune with playing more in the Fulham spirit. Parker's teams did not attack fast, or play to their strengths. The sideways passing actually hindered our team as we negated the natural advanatage our more skillful squad had, and we reduced the actual game time drastically. It was light years from what Slavisa coached.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: MartyFFC on June 15, 2021, 01:52:03 PM
First they appoint Woodgate, who was sacked after trying to take Middlesbrough into league 1. Now they want Parker Ball; sounds like Bournemouth are losing the plot

Don't tell them that Pike!

Pluto

Whilst he obviously doesn't literally tell them to do that, the reason we play this way is because the team
are clearly devoid of creative ideas. They have no plan on how to score, who to pass to in certain situations and how to exploit the opposition's weaknesses  in order to actually initiate an attack. Rarely did I ever see any deliberate ball movement last season. Our "plan" mostly seemed to consist of giving it to Lookman on the wing and having him run until he loses it because there was no one in position to pass to. Clearly the work is not being done on the training ground and in the manager's office to equip the team with an actual strategy.

As a manager, he is exactly what he was as a player for us. Very tidy, lots of possession, solid defensively; but absolutely no creative vision going forward.

ChesterTheTabby

I hope the lot of folks celebrating this take the humble pie when Bournemouth does well under Parker, not if. The idea that he is a poor manager is bogus. Wait and see.

If I am wrong, I will also take that humble pie.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

LittleErn

Quote from: Pluto on June 15, 2021, 02:41:06 PM

Whilst he obviously doesn't literally tell them to do that, the reason we play this way is because the team
are clearly devoid of creative ideas. They have no plan on how to score, who to pass to in certain situations and how to exploit the opposition's weaknesses  in order to actually initiate an attack. Rarely did I ever see any deliberate ball movement last season. Our "plan" mostly seemed to consist of giving it to Lookman on the wing and having him run until he loses it because there was no one in position to pass to. Clearly the work is not being done on the training ground and in the manager's office to equip the team with an actual strategy.

As a manager, he is exactly what he was as a player for us. Very tidy, lots of possession, solid defensively; but absolutely no creative vision going forward.

The main problem, for me, but not the only one, was the lack of incisive off the ball running by our forwards. When Carvalhio was given game time it was noticeable that he was trying to run off the shoulder of his marker. As you say, the work isn't being done in training - not on this aspect anyway. A few more such runs might have allowed Lookman or Bobby DCR to make forward passes. Then again, if players make the runs and don't get the pass they soon stop making the effort.

mancwhite

I'm not celebrating him leaving - he seemed a very decent bloke who handled himself very well in the media. I didn't enjoy his style of football in the championship but he got us promoted, but then faced a real challenge in the Premier League wiry the short turnaround and the late recruitment. However there was a huge opportunity to stay up which was lost. I wish him well if he goes and we could do a lot worse than Chris Wilder who has shown
a good deal of innovation in producing attacking football with very limited resources.
Your just too good to be true Fulham

filham

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 15, 2021, 12:54:39 PM
Quote from: filham on June 15, 2021, 12:38:21 PM
Well this seems more than a rumour or speculative pressman, I think this could be happening.

So do we now wait weeks and weeks for a new manager and meanwhile lose our best players .
Don't expect to get much for Cav and Ried both are no scoring attackers and that class of player is not expensive.

I would love to know who wants to leave because Parker is leaving, maybe Reid and Cav. I'd like them to stay, but a good transfer fee may be just as good as keeping them.

Slaphead in Qatar

Bald guy on Sky sports just said there may be legs in the Bournemouth rumour. Story may develop quickly according to him - he's usually right with rumours

RaySmith

Quote from: LittleErn on June 15, 2021, 03:49:16 PM
Quote from: Pluto on June 15, 2021, 02:41:06 PM

The main problem, for me, but not the only one, was the lack of incisive off the ball running by our forwards. When Carvalhio was given game time it was noticeable that he was trying to run off the shoulder of his marker. As you say, the work isn't being done in training - not on this aspect anyway. A few more such runs might have allowed Lookman or Bobby DCR to make forward passes. Then again, if players make the runs and don't get the pass they soon stop making the effort.

I just don't believe that Parker with all his experience in the game, and his  experienced coaching team, didn't practise attacking options, like passing and running into space, with the Fulham players.

But the Prem has such high quality defenders, and you need top quality players, with pace and guile, to score against them, and we lacked such players,  despite their efforts.

Also, our main creative player was injured for most of the season.

I just hope that Bournemouth don't go up under Parker, while we don't - there will be a few red faces on here if that happens.