watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it a bad thing to use ex managers & player's

Started by H4usuallysitting, June 15, 2021, 05:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Again..... I look at team's like Ajax, Bayern & many others, and they all have backroom staff, coaches, DOF, managers who were ex player's or ex managers..... should we be copying this model?

Cambridge Pete

Haynes didn't like the job. Robson fired. Supermac a success until well whatever. Depends upon the person. Every appointment is a risk.

cmg

Osborne, Jezzard, Dodgin(Jnr), Lewington, Adams, Bracewell, Coleman, Symonds...we've certainly given it a whirl, with, as CP said, decidedly mixed results.

Not surprised, myself, as I think the influence of managers is vastly overrated.
You might get lucky and unearth a genius.
You might get very lucky and have a genius player who becomes your genius manager...in which case you would be Barcelona.
Otherwise it's going to depend on the players you've got.

MJG

Just luck of the draw sometimes, what it does is maybe give them the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer when things inevitably go wrong. Hence Parker getting a free pass from many following a dreadful last ten games when really it should have been pitch forks at the cottage gates to get rid.
Just the views of a long term fan

filham

Quote from: cmg on June 15, 2021, 06:33:23 PM
Osborne, Jezzard, Dodgin(Jnr), Lewington, Adams, Bracewell, Coleman, Symonds...we've certainly given it a whirl, with, as CP said, decidedly mixed results.

Not surprised, myself, as I think the influence of managers is vastly overrated.
You might get very lucky and have a genius player who becomes your genius manager...in which case you would be Barcelona.
An interesting list. with Jezzard a huge success and Osborne, Dodgin, Lewington and Adams each having good promotions.
I would give Danny Murphy a couple of seasons right now.

cmg

Quote from: filham on June 15, 2021, 06:44:21 PM

An interesting list. with Jezzard a huge success and Osborne, Dodgin, Lewington and Adams each having good promotions.

Even then there can be a sting in the tail. Jezzard had great success with a highly talented bunch playing super-attractive football. He then quit in disgust after they sold one of his best players (Mullery) without telling him. Adams, too, could consider himself unlucky in being seen as an insufficiently big name for an upwardy mobile club.

H4usuallysitting

Look at Ajax
Van der Sar CEO
Overmars DOF
Bergkamp Coach
Grim youth coach

Statto

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on June 15, 2021, 11:58:43 PM
Look at Ajax
Van der Sar CEO
Overmars DOF
Bergkamp Coach
Grim youth coach

Ajax are a club that have always grown their own players and staff very organically and had a consistent long-term ethos/style that everyone associated with the club subscribes to. Not sure you can just transplant that into an English Championship club and expect it to work. And even if we were to try and emulate them, they didn't just parachute those ex-players into those roles. They gave them relatively junior coaching/scouting/business roles to begin with and it took years for them to prove themselves and work their way up. An equivalent might be us making Ream a junior scout next year and him being DoF in time for the 2030/31 season.

Penfold

We were never promoted under Ray Lewington. His best season as manager saw us beaten by Bristol Rovers in the play offs.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Statto on June 16, 2021, 01:11:34 AM
Look at Ajax
Van der Sar CEO
Overmars DOF
Bergkamp Coach
Grim youth coach

Ajax are a club that have always grown their own players and staff very organically and had a consistent long-term ethos/style that everyone associated with the club subscribes to. Not sure you can just transplant that into an English Championship club and expect it to work. And even if we were to try and emulate them, they didn't just parachute those ex-players into those roles. They gave them relatively junior coaching/scouting/business roles to begin with and it took years for them to prove themselves and work their way up. An equivalent might be us making Ream a junior scout next year and him being DoF in time for the 2030/31 season.

So, I'm thinking you're saying it's a great idea, gives the club stability & a method of playing football

The Rational Fan

Look at Ajax
Van der Sar CEO
Overmars DOF
Bergkamp Coach
Grim youth coach

Ajax listed the club on the stock market as Manchester United did. It will be interesting to see, if that financial decision ruins the football side of the club many years later as it did with Manchester United. My guess is it will, like with manchester united, the fans are happy when the finance guys overtake the boardroom and leave football to the experts. Of course, as soon as financial performance is poor due to football reasons the accountants take over the football field.

Statto

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on June 16, 2021, 09:01:32 AM
Look at Ajax
Van der Sar CEO
Overmars DOF
Bergkamp Coach
Grim youth coach

So, I'm thinking you're saying it's a great idea, gives the club stability & a method of playing football

Well i will give you that one, yes i agree... with the caveat that IMO it will take 10-20 years to yield results, and isn't a good solution for our immediate need for a new manager and DOF/head of scouting. But it would be good if we were perhaps to start grooming the likes of Odoi, Ream and McDonald to take on roles like that in the future (if they're interested)

filham

Quote from: Penfold on June 16, 2021, 08:20:49 AM

We were never promoted under Ray Lewington. His best season as manager saw us beaten by Bristol Rovers in the play offs.
Sorry , I stand corrected, but I do think Ray Lew served us well on a shoe string budget. Interesting to think what he would do today with all the experience he now has a some money to spend.

filham

Is there a single person on this board who would object if Brian McBride became our next manager.

Craven Mad

I have to say, having seen that Moritz Volz is the current assistant manager at RB Leipzig, I couldn't help but think how nice it'd be to see him back at the cottage !

Penfold

Quote from: filham on June 16, 2021, 09:42:41 AM
Quote from: Penfold on June 16, 2021, 08:20:49 AM

Sorry , I stand corrected, but I do think Ray Lew served us well on a shoe string budget. Interesting to think what he would do today with all the experience he now has a some money to spend.

From what I've heard, Ray's downfall was that he is a bit of a nice guy which doesn't always work out in management. Couple of times I've met him he came across as a top bloke.

blingo

Quote from: filham on June 16, 2021, 09:52:17 AM
Is there a single person on this board who would object if Brian McBride became our next manager.

Why? what has he achieved in management? I wouldn't take him.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Statto on June 16, 2021, 09:14:07 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on June 16, 2021, 09:01:32 AM
Look at Ajax
Van der Sar CEO
Overmars DOF
Bergkamp Coach
Grim youth coach

Well i will give you that one, yes i agree... with the caveat that IMO it will take 10-20 years to yield results, and isn't a good solution for our immediate need for a new manager and DOF/head of scouting. But it would be good if we were perhaps to start grooming the likes of Odoi, Ream and McDonald to take on roles like that in the future (if they're interested)

Or, even the Danny Murphy's, Simon Davies's of this world.... K Mac would be a good fit

filham

Quote from: blingo on June 16, 2021, 10:57:21 AM
Quote from: filham on June 16, 2021, 09:52:17 AM

Why? what has he achieved in management? I wouldn't take him.
What had Beddy Jezzard and Malcolm MacDonald achieved in management before their great success in gaining us instant promotion .