more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bournemouth to have the most sideways passes in the championship next season

Started by Willham, June 16, 2021, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

Quote from: junior white on June 17, 2021, 08:03:53 AM
No defender of TK or SP by a long way, but the issue only really rears its head when we are losing and that is when we are in the prem. SP never complained about things in the championship, only when things started to be really tough towards the end of the season. SJ did raise the issue in the championship yet stayed and got us promoted, funny thing was I do not remember him having a gripe at the transfer method once we were promoted.
Yes, it is an unfortunate consequence of lack of experience that owners take their eyes off the ball (pun intended) when a side is winning and seldom know how to shrewdly ensure that ground gained is defended by wise choices.  SJ knew he was toast long before TK went on his disastrous spending spree.  SP finds himself in a different hole whereby his involvement in recruitment which he then criticises suggests he doesn't have the nous that Jokanovic has in abundance.

Andy S

It seems to me that most teams no longer take a long goal kick they prefer to play it out from the back. This inevitably will result in a lot of sideway balls. It also means a slow build up. Is Parker's fault that he has followed the coaching skills he and others have been taught and he will improve when he learns to deviate

love4ffc

Adding to Andy S comments, I find it bewildering that people call the style of football that Fulham have been playing under Parker "Parkerball".  Andy S is correct in that the modern era of football consist of both sideways and backwards passing as well as playing it out of the back to keep possession.   

Watching the Euros and I see that all the successful teams doing the exact same thing.  The difference is that teams like Belgium, France, Portugal, and Germany have a higher caliber of players.  Players that are always moving to create new triangles and better attacking options.  Players that can stretch a defense and create attacking chances and drive the ball forward.  Plus, they have players that can change the tempo of the match and more importantly actually find the back of the net. 

Fulham's players last season weren't able to do any of that.  They could barely pass the ball sideways or backwards without giving it away. 

I have said this before and I'll reiterate again, IMHO a successful team keeps the opposition guessing.  They do not do the same repetitive thing over and over.  They change things up by going direct every now and then, they cut inside rather then look to just head to the byline and cross the ball and yes, they look to pass sideways to stretch the defense and find that through ball that creates chances. 

Here's to hoping for better caliber of players next year. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

MartyFFC

Am thinking of asking Paddy Power for odds on this, with the addition of passes back to the keeper

Asotosyios

Quote from: love4ffc on June 17, 2021, 05:39:41 PM

Adding to Andy S comments, I find it bewildering that people call the style of football that Fulham have been playing under Parker "Parkerball".  Andy S is correct in that the modern era of football consist of both sideways and backwards passing as well as playing it out of the back to keep possession.   

Watching the Euros and I see that all the successful teams doing the exact same thing.  The difference is that teams like Belgium, France, Portugal, and Germany have a higher caliber of players.  Players that are always moving to create new triangles and better attacking options.  Players that can stretch a defense and create attacking chances and drive the ball forward.  Plus, they have players that can change the tempo of the match and more importantly actually find the back of the net. 

Fulham's players last season weren't able to do any of that.  They could barely pass the ball sideways or backwards without giving it away. 

I have said this before and I'll reiterate again, IMHO a successful team keeps the opposition guessing.  They do not do the same repetitive thing over and over.  They change things up by going direct every now and then, they cut inside rather then look to just head to the byline and cross the ball and yes, they look to pass sideways to stretch the defense and find that through ball that creates chances. 

Here's to hoping for better caliber of players next year. 

What I find bewildering is that people think that everything you described above is down to individual quality and not something that has been worked on the training ground.

love4ffc

I have no doubt that Parker works with the team to stretch oppositions i.e., sideways, and backwards passing.  Or, as it also known as resetting to draw opposition players out and create openings.  I doubt though that Parker tells his players to never attack or look to get forward for a creative chance. 

Sorry, but I still think it's down to the quality of the players. 

FYI - I'm not saying Scott doesn't need to take some of the blame for relegation.  I'm saying that "Parkerball" is not the sole reason for the relegation and that there are several teams out there that play the same style and have great succuss. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Deeping_white

Quote from: love4ffc on June 17, 2021, 10:18:21 PM
I have no doubt that Parker works with the team to stretch oppositions i.e., sideways, and backwards passing.  Or, as it also known as resetting to draw opposition players out and create openings.  I doubt though that Parker tells his players to never attack or look to get forward for a creative chance. 

Sorry, but I still think it's down to the quality of the players. 

FYI - I'm not saying Scott doesn't need to take some of the blame for relegation.  I'm saying that "Parkerball" is not the sole reason for the relegation and that there are several teams out there that play the same style and have great succuss. 

Explain the championship season then when we had a vastly better squad than 22 teams and a comparable squad to the other two that went up? There are certain stats like having the fewest number of counter attacks in the league which cannot be coincidental, that is directed by Parker and instilled on the players. Also the fact that a fair few players players started really well and regressed the longer they've been here under Parker suggests that his coaching style and tactics are the cause of how they performed, and the amount of times we got bailed out by a bit of individual brilliance suggests that his tactics and style of play flattered to deceive. The amount of times we've had the debate about how slow and ponderous our build up has been over the last two years is a recurring theme, I don't think anyone on here would argue that possession based football isn't the way to go but it's how you move the ball that hurts teams and we don't have that with Parker. You only have to look back at Slav's teams to understand that possession was a means to an end, rather than just keeping the ball and going side to side in the hope that a bit of space will open up or someone will bang one in from 25 yards out