watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

DOF in all Premier League Clubs And Experience

Started by Gary, June 24, 2021, 11:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Make of it what you will. Point being TK is not/has no experience what's so ever. i.e i did not say not suited.

Team                   Director of Football                                         Work Experience

Wolves                    Kevin Thelwell                                           Had originally been Wolves' academy boss

West Ham                   Mario Husillos                                           Previously worked at Malaga, instrumental in bringing fillipe Anderson

Tottenham                   Rebecca Caplehorn                                   5 Years at QPR. Instrumental in balancing new stadium and recruitment whilst
                                                                                                        playing at Wembley.

Southampton           Ross Wilson                                           Key man for Southampton's recruitment policy. "I am privileged to have
                                                                                                        successfully held leadership positions alongside some outstanding people 
                                                                                                        Watford, Huddersfield Town, Southampton and Glasgow Rangers"

Manchester City            Txiki Begiristain                                   Played a major role in persuading Pep Guardiola to join the Etihad revolution key
                                                                                                        in revamping an ageing City squad that included numerous 30+ year-old

Liverpool                    Michael Edwards                                 Promoted into the role of sporting director in November 2016,oversaw the transfers
                                                                                                     of Virgil van Dijk, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Leicester City           Jon Rudkin                                         Replacing Terry Robinson as director of football in 2014, Rudkin was part of the
                                                                                                     impressive Leicester framework that stunned the world when the Foxes won the
                                                                                                     Premier League title in 2016.

Everton                   Marcel Brands                                        Instrumental in bringing Players like Richarlison, digne, James rodriguez, zouma,

Fulham                   Tony Khan                                          Oversees both the identification and recruitment of players famous for telling one
                                                                                                     critical fan to 'go to hell'.  President  wrestling company 'All Elite Wrestling', 36 Years
                                                                                                     old

Crystal Palace           Dougie Freedman                                        Former player and manager

Burnley                   Mike Rigg                                                       49-year-old had previously gained experience in his role as head of player
                                                                                                    acquisition at Manchester City from 2008 to 2012, where he was involved in the
                                                                                                    signings of Yaya Toure, David Silva and Sergio Aguero

Brighton                     Dan Ashworth                                               Former role at the Football Association , 47-year-old is held by many to have
                                                                                                    contributed to England's greater success in results and performances at
                                                                                                    international level

Arsenal                     Raul Sanllehi                                       The Spaniard played a key role in convincing Neymar to move to the Camp Nou from
                                                                                                    Santos

Leeds                   Victor Orta                                               Previously holding the role of Head Of Recruitment at then Premier League side
                                                                                                    Middlesbrough F.C.. He is also a former journalist and worked for Marca and Sky
                                                                                                    Espana

Manchester United   John Murtough                                     Murtough has been working at the top end of English football for 2 decades
                                                                                                   and boasts plenty of experience, having worked in a variety of roles

Brentford                    Rasmus Ankersen                                Ankersen had a short career as a professional football player with FC Midtjylland He
                                                                                                     then studied for UEFA's A Licence, and became the assistant-coach.  The club was
                                                                                                     subsequently purchased by Matthew Benham, who also owns Brentford FC

Chelsea                    Marina Granovskaia                           Was Abramovich PA and was promoted until She became involved in transfers and
                                                                                                     contractual dealings for Chelsea. Her task of managing transfers sometimes put her
                                                                                                     at odds with managers who had their own ideas of whom to sell or buy during the
                                                                                                     transfer window. She is responsible for brokering the team's sponsorship deal with
                                                                                                     Nike, that will fund £60m per year to the club until 2032.

Newcastle                     Lee Charnley                                        Lee Charnley is paid £150,000 per year (excluding any bonuses) according to the     
                                                                                                     last available accounts, whilst many of those at other clubs earn £1m or more.
                                                                                                     Newcastle fans tend to see Lee Charnley in his role as a bit like Steve Bruce as
                                                                                                     manager/head coach, he has the job title but in reality little or no authority. With his 
                                                                                                     Low pay (compared to those at other clubs) reflecting that.

Norwich                     Stuart Webber                                  In July 2009, Webber left Wrexham to become Director of Recruitment at Liverpool
                                                                                                     working alongside managers like Rafa Benitez and Kenny Dalglish. In August 2012,
                                                                                                     Webber left Liverpool to take up a position at Queens Park Rangers as Head of
                                                                                                     Scouting.Before becoming Head of Recruitment in January 2013 at Wolverhampton
                                                                                                     Wanderers.ebber became Head of Football Operations at Huddersfield Town in June
                                                                                                     2015, becoming instrumental in the recruitment of players that got Huddersfield
                                                                                                      promoted to the Premier League. In April 2017, he became Sporting Director at
                                                                                                     Norwich City, and oversaw another promotion to the Premier League.

Watford                      Andy Scott                                        Scott was previously a manager with Brentford, and led them to the League Two
                                                                                                     title in 2007 in his first full season in charge.  involved in Brentford's high-profile
                                                                                                     signings of Ollie Watkins and Neal Maupay

Sorry for the uneven  spacing,  :wine:

Blawarmy

Tony Khan - Wrestling fan and son of billionaire. 

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Nero

So alot with no football experience who gained experience by working in football. I mean the Liverpool chap just went shopping at Southampton. Leeds ex journo before first job how does that make him qualified? WNorwich got Huddersfield relegated got Norwich relegated does this make him a better DoF?

If you want to pick holes you probably can in any of them

Lordedmundo

Interesting read - but perhaps you should have left TK off the list - as your impartial (in many cases overly positive) cooments/views on the others was not reflected in your comments about him.

Marcel_Gecov

Interesting how with Mike Rigg you left out how bad he was with us.

Statto

Bit like comparing apples and oranges because many (probably most) of them won't be closely involved in recruitment as TK

Also have to factor in life/business experience. Even if you disregard Orta working at Boro (where he signed Traore) and refer to him as a journo as a poster has done above, you can at least expect a journo to have contacts and know the art of networking, which is transferable to a DoF role.

Unless I've overlooked Prince Harry on that list there isn't anyone with no football, business or real life experience except TK 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Nero on June 24, 2021, 12:39:04 PM
So alot with no football experience who gained experience by working in football. I mean the Liverpool chap just went shopping at Southampton. Leeds ex journo before first job how does that make him qualified? WNorwich got Huddersfield relegated got Norwich relegated does this make him a better DoF?

If you want to pick holes you probably can in any of them

But we are picking holes in TK because he's full of holes and that is the whole truth, the guy deserves it, they even named a mint after him and his after shave Polo. Even Ironside couldn't defend him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on June 24, 2021, 02:14:45 PM

But I mean, was he really? It was under Mike Rigg that we brought in Tom Cairney and Tim Ream after all.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: simplyfulham on June 24, 2021, 04:58:43 PM

But I mean, was he really? It was under Mike Rigg that we brought in Tom Cairney and Tim Ream after all.

Ben pringle, Jazz Richards, jamie O'Hara, Richard Stearman, finished 20th in the CHAMPIONSHIP, part of the 49 day search into a new manager after kit... alot of press at the time talked about how much he underperformed.

He was a football man and if we took him on now most on here would probably think "good Cv, just what we want". Goes to how that really nothing is certain when making hires.

Statto

Agreed.

Also Fredericks, and he put down the foundation for the mcdonald deal.

Once you take youth players out the equation (Bettinelli, Sessegnon) half the promotion side was brought in by Rigg and he did it on a shoestring too.

If we're going to attribute the lengthy managerial search to him then we should also give him credit for ultimate outcome, which was Jokanovic, best manager we've had in the last decade. Gray remains with us and highly regarded too.

Massive misconception on here that Rigg was poor.

Somerset Fulham

You're right, but it didn't stop every other post being about getting him out etc etc.

Its a never ending circle, just with different names.

junior white

Not sure it really shows anything for me. You cant have experience in the role till you do it, dont get me wrong i think there is a vast room for improvement and I am not pro TK but then neither am i anti.

Say Roy Hodgson was appointed to the role, he has no experience as a DoF but everyone would be happy with that but if it went badly then people would say he didnt have the experience. Yes RH has football experience but is that the only pre requisite? Some of the best players in the world have been awful coaches but the have big time experience as a player, so can the same be said of managers moving to DoF roles.

What I do know is that we need everyone on the same page from players to coaches to managers to scouting to DoF to everyone including us fans. If one doesnt then it usually falls over some where.

I have said this before I do not know what use a DoS will be as I still believe we will use the same 2 boxes tick method and it will still go via TK, thats of the rumoured set up is correct and is what i base the above on

simplyfulham

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on June 24, 2021, 05:11:50 PM

Ben pringle, Jazz Richards, jamie O'Hara, Richard Stearman, finished 20th in the CHAMPIONSHIP, part of the 49 day search into a new manager after kit... alot of press at the time talked about how much he underperformed.

He was a football man and if we took him on now most on here would probably think "good Cv, just what we want". Goes to how that really nothing is certain when making hires.

Yeah fair enough for making your case but not something I'd go along with.

Pringle, Stearman and Richards are unlikely to go down in the annals of Fulham history but they were jobbing squad players who cost about £2m between the three of them. From what I recall of O'Hara was he was half decent but woefully off the pace with his fitness and dropped off a cliff in the second half of the season.

I think Rigg was a casualty of the Kahn+Cline war and time has probably proven Mike right in the long run. He has been absolutely rock solid for Dyche and Burnley over the past few years and for me it's quite telling that there are two ex-Fulham men on the list above who are operating at a level above where we find ourselves with TK.

simplyfulham

Quote from: junior white on June 24, 2021, 07:12:48 PM
Say Roy Hodgson was appointed to the role, he has no experience as a DoF but everyone would be happy with that but if it went badly then people would say he didnt have the experience. Yes RH has football experience but is that the only pre requisite? Some of the best players in the world have been awful coaches but the have big time experience as a player, so can the same be said of managers moving to DoF roles.

Hodgson taking over isn't really comparable. At least he would have vast amounts of experience in some element of football. Most people operating as a DoF started somewhere as a player, coach or scout.

Very very few have transitioned straight into that role from outside football and even fewer still have been successful. A brief review of Sir Clive Woodward's disastrous 18 month-ish spell at Southampton is a good high profile example of that.

There are many many sticks you can beat TK with. It's not just that he makes bad signings (most people have pointed out most people in his position have a hit and miss record with signings) it's more linked to the second half of what you're talking about.

He hasn't displayed much joined up thinking and there doesn't seem to be a very effective strategy with which he's buying players. It's a scatter gun approach that fits his whims, which doesn't give me faith it's something we're ever likely to build or improve from.

The other point is that he doesn't really need to succeed does he? Everyone in that list above needs to do a good job because if they are sacked, presumably they will be looking for another similar role. If TK left his position tomorrow (god willing) what are the chances do you think he would end up in any form of director/scouting/recruitment role?

Say what you want about his good intentions for Fulham but he doesn't need to succeed, and there's something in that imo.

Nero

Quote from: simplyfulham on June 24, 2021, 10:08:29 PM

Hodgson taking over isn't really comparable. At least he would have vast amounts of experience in some element of football. Most people operating as a DoF started somewhere as a player, coach or scout.

Very very few have transitioned straight into that role from outside football and even fewer still have been successful. A brief review of Sir Clive Woodward's disastrous 18 month-ish spell at Southampton is a good high profile example of that.

There are many many sticks you can beat TK with. It's not just that he makes bad signings (most people have pointed out most people in his position have a hit and miss record with signings) it's more linked to the second half of what you're talking about.

He hasn't displayed much joined up thinking and there doesn't seem to be a very effective strategy with which he's buying players. It's a scatter gun approach that fits his whims, which doesn't give me faith it's something we're ever likely to build or improve from.

The other point is that he doesn't really need to succeed does he? Everyone in that list above needs to do a good job because if they are sacked, presumably they will be looking for another similar role. If TK left his position tomorrow (god willing) what are the chances do you think he would end up in any form of director/scouting/recruitment role?

Say what you want about his good intentions for Fulham but he doesn't need to succeed, and there's something in that imo.

Is it scatter gun, yes his first season in the Prem seemed to be but last year, Parker didn't want wholesale changes,Parker get stuffed in first match, Parker goes running to Khan we need a defence TK buys  a defence, SP falls out with Mitro I need a striker TK get him Maja, SP decide Cav is a better option up top still

love4ffc

I think the question is what do you all want, or hope for in qualifications for DOF? 

For me, it would be great, no perfect, if they had the following:
•   Academy coaching experience
•   Has an FA license of at least level 4
•   First team coaching experience, preferably with at least Championship level.
•   Some business experience.
•   Experience in negotiating player contracts
•   Has worked with more then one club
•   Lots of charisma and personality       

Those are just off the top of my head and probably impossible for one person to attain.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Gary

Quote from: love4ffc on June 25, 2021, 12:10:08 AM
I think the question is what do you all want, or hope for in qualifications for DOF? 

For me, it would be great, no perfect, if they had the following:
•   Academy coaching experience
•   Has an FA license of at least level 4
•   First team coaching experience, preferably with at least Championship level.
•   Some business experience.
•   Experience in negotiating player contracts
•   Has worked with more then one club
•   Lots of charisma and personality       

Those are just off the top of my head and probably impossible for one person to attain.   
My point being experience. He has business experience and surely he can negotiate , he is 36 still and has a lot to learn. On the downturn is that he has no consequences for his wrong doings and is learning on the job.  Consider he still has to run the wrestling league and im not sure what role he plays for the jaguars.

IMO Looks like he's got lot on his plate. Now compare that to the lot above whos job is to soley focus as a DOF.

Gary

Not sure it really shows anything for me. You cant have experience in the role till you do it, dont get me wrong i think there is a vast room for improvement and I am not pro TK but then neither am i anti.

What I do know is that we need everyone on the same page from players to coaches to managers to scouting to DoF to everyone including us fans. If one doesnt then it usually falls over some where.

I have said this before I do not know what use a DoS will be as I still believe we will use the same 2 boxes tick method and it will still go via TK, thats of the rumoured set up is correct and is what i base the above on
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 24, 2021, 05:19:32 PM
You're right, but it didn't stop every other post being about getting him out etc etc.

Its a never ending circle, just with different names.
The pressure is building