more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 03/07/21...

Started by WhiteJC, July 03, 2021, 12:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham name Silva as new head coach on three-year deal

July 2 (Reuters) - Fulham have appointed former Everton manager Marco Silva as their new head coach on a three-year contract to replace Scott Parker, the English Championship (second-tier) club said.

Silva, 43, guided Everton to an eighth-placed finish in the Premier League in his first season in 2018 but was sacked by the Merseyside club in December the following year after a 5-2 defeat by city rivals Liverpool.

Parker left the club this week following their relegation from the Premier League last season. He has since been named as the new Bournemouth manager.

"I'm really pleased and proud to be appointed head coach of such a historic football club," Silva said in a club statement on Thursday.

"I'm excited to get started and my message for our fans ahead of this big challenge is we will all be working very hard together to be successful so they can feel proud at the end of the season."

Silva will be assisted by former Fulham forward and fellow Portuguese Luis Boa Morte, who made 250 appearances for the West London club.
Reporting by Manasi Pathak in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/fulham-name-silva-new-head-coach-three-year-deal-2021-07-02/

WhiteJC

Three other managers were 'under serious consideration' for Fulham job before Marco Silva appointment, report claims

Fulham have appointed Marco Silva as their new manager ahead of the 2021/22 Championship season, having seen Scott Parker leave for Bournemouth.

Silva has turned down the offer to head to Turkey and manage Fenerbahce to join Fulham in the Championship.

He replaces Parker who's finally sealed his exit and subsequent move to Bournemouth but the Portuguese wasn't the only one being considered as the club's next permanent manager.

A recent report from The Athletic states that there were three other names 'under serious consideration' for the Craven Cottage job. Peter Rutzler writes:

"It is understood that Cooper and Wilder were both under serious consideration. So too was long-time Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe, but he made it clear he was not interested in the role. Multiple plates were spinning but Fulham's prime target behind the scenes was Silva; a coach to underline the ownership's promotion ambition."

Fulham presents Silva with his fourth consecutive job in English football since 2017 – he arrived in British shores from Olimpiacos to take charge of Hull City in 2017, having spent time in the dugouts at Watford and Everton since.

https://the72.co.uk/241100/three-other-managers-were-under-serious-consideration-for-fulham-job-before-marco-silva-appointment-report-claims/

WhiteJC

Silva will start Fulham job remotely

Marco Silva will begin his reign as Fulham head coach by working remotely as he has to quarantine having travelled from Portugal.

The new Fulham boss may be able to get around his homeland's presence on the government's amber list by taking a PCR test and finishing his quarantine early as part of the 'test and release' scheme. That may allow Silva to meet Fulham's players as early as next Tuesday, but in practice the club's senior coach Stuart Gray will continue to run pre-season training until the 43 year-old is able to take sessions at Motspur Park himself.

The Athletic reports this morning that Silva was the frontrunner to succeed Scott Parker from the outset having been highlighted by the club's hierarchy as a leading candidate after expressing his eagerness to return to English football. Steve Cooper, Chris Wilder and Eddie Howe were considered as alternatives but the latter quickly ruled himself out of the running and Silva was the only candidate who Shahid Khan met.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/silva-will-start-fulham-job-remotely/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva in promise to Fulham fans after landing top Craven Cottage job

Fulham have confirmed the appointment of Marco Silva as their new head coach to replace Scott Parker.

Former Hull, Watford, and Everton boss Silva, 43, has signed a three-year contract to replace Parker, who left Craven Cottage on Monday to become Bournemouth manager.

Fulham said on their official website: "The club is delighted to announce the appointment of Marco Silva as our new head coach.

"Silva has agreed a three-year deal with Fulham, keeping him at Craven Cottage until the end of the 2023/24 campaign.

"He will be assisted by club legend Luis Boa Morte, who made 250 appearances in a six-and-a-half year spell."

Fulham were relegated last season after one season back in the Premier League, while Silva has been out of work since being sacked by Everton in December 2019.

Silva told Fulham's official website: "I'm really pleased and proud to be appointed head coach of such a historic football club.

"I want to thank the owner, Mr (Shahid) Khan, Tony Khan and the entire football structure of Fulham Football Club, for the trust shown in us.

"I'm excited to get started and my message for our fans ahead of this big challenge is we will all be working very hard together to be successful so they can feel proud at the end of the season."

Khan delighted with Silva appointment

Fulham owner and chairman Shahid Khan said he had been "inspired" by Silva when meeting him last week in Portugal.

Khan told Fulham's official website: "Marco's body of work in football was evident, but listening to him break down in detail his experiences at each of his stops as a head coach was thoroughly impressive.

"Marco also came prepared, with a full understanding of the players we have and ideas on how we can move forward this season. I loved his energy and optimism, and I'm confident Marco Silva is the right choice to lead Fulham Football Club as our new head coach."

Silva took on his first job in England with Hull in January 2017. The Tigers were bottom of the table when the Portuguese was appointed and he was unable to save them from relegation.

He left Hull to take on the manager's job at Watford the following summer, but was sacked halfway through the 2017/18 season, leaving the Hornets 10th in the Premier League.

Silva signed a three-year deal to become Everton boss in May 2018 and guided the Toffees to an eighth-placed finish in his one full season before being sacked in December 2019.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/marco-silva-promise-fulham-fans-after-landing-managerial-role

WhiteJC

How Hull City experience helped Marco Silva get Fulham job

City won't have to wait long to come up against their former manager in his new role

Portuguese manager Marco Silva used his experience at Hull City to help him get the new job at Fulham, it has been revealed.

Silva, the ex-Tigers boss returned to football after a two-year absence on Thursday when he agreed a three-year contract at Craven Cottage following Scott Parker's departure for Bournemouth.

The popular ex-Tiger had been out of work having been sacked by Everton in December 2019, and despite being linked with a raft of other vacancies, it was a post in the Championship with the Cottagers which tempted him back, and owner Shahid Khan explained how his managerial experiences shaped his ethos in the interview.

"Marco's body of work in football was evident, but listening to him break down in detail his experiences at each of his stops as a head coach was thoroughly impressive," Khan said.

"Marco also came prepared, with a full understanding of the players we have and ideas on how we can move forward this season. I loved his energy and optimism, and I'm confident Marco Silva is the right choice to lead Fulham Football Club as our new head coach."

Silva resigned from City in May 2017 having established himself as a firm fans' favourite and despite six wins in his 18 Premier League encounters, was unable to keep the Tigers in the top flight, though that didn't prevent fans from taking the 43-year-old to their hearts.

"I'm really pleased and proud to be appointed head coach of such a historic football club," Silva said.

"I want to thank the owner, Mr (Shahid) Khan, Tony Khan and the entire football structure of Fulham Football Club, for the trust shown in us.

The new Fulham boss won't have to wait long for a reunion with his former club, with the Tigers traveling to Craven Cottage on August 21, before the reverse fixture at the MKM Stadium on February 12.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marco-silva-fulham-hull-city-5601449

WhiteJC

Blackburn Rovers face transfer wait in pursuit of midfielder

Suitors of Stefan Johansen face a wait as new Fulham boss Marco Silva prepares to run the rule over his squad.

Fulham appointed Silva this week as a replacement for the outgoing Scott Parker who moved to Bournemouth.

Silva will be required to self-isolate for 10 days, with Portugal on the Government's amber list, meaning he won't be in charge for the early stages of pre-season.

But upon appointing Silva, Fulham owner Shahid Khan said the 43-year-old would arrive 'with a full understanding of the players we have' as the club look to put plans in place for next season after relegation from the Premier League.

The future of Stefan Johansen will be on the list of topics, but more pressing will be the interest in Aleksandr Mitrovic, which could impact any possible move for Adam Armstrong by the Cottagers, while former Tom Cairney is wanted by ex-Fulham boss, and new Sheffield United manager, Slavisa Jokanovic.

Rovers won't have a free run at the 31-year-old Norway international, with QPR particularly keen on taking him back to the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

There he impressed in the Rs' upturn in form in the second half of the season, starting all 21 games after signing, and it has been suggested that Johansen would prefer to stay in London.

He has been loaned out by Fulham in two of the last three seasons, after also spending time with West Bromwich Albion in 2019, and is a proven performer at the top end of the Championship.

The 30-year-old would add craft and guile to the Rovers midfield that has been decimated over the close season.

However, Johansen does have a year left to run on his contract, which would mean Fulham could command a fee for his services should they agree to move him on, but they may be open to another loan, or to come to an agreement over the final 12 months of his deal should he not fit into Silva's plans.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19415628.blackburn-rovers-face-transfer-wait-pursuit-midfielder/

WhiteJC

Odutayo, Bowat and D'Auria-Henry agree new Fulham deals

Fulham have this afternoon confirmed that young defenders Idris Odutayo, Ibane Bowat and Luciano D'Auria-Henry have all extended their contracts with the club.

Scottish youth international Bowat has decided to stay with Fulham after Arsenal showed interest in him following an outstanding season for Steve Wigley's under 18 side as the young Whites successfully defended their league title. Bowat has been rewarded with a two-year deal, with Fulham retaining an additional year's option. The centre back wants to 'keep improving' and admits his goal is 'to gain some first team experience in the near future'.

D'Auria-Henry, who has been converted into a right back in recent years having started his career as a midfielder, has penned a new one-year contract after shrugging off a serious injury setback to make 31 appearances in all competitions last season. The 18 year-old told Fulham's official website: 'I'm very happy. I've been at the club for seven years and now I'm just looking to push on really'.

Left back Odutayo has also agreed a new one-year deal after an excellent campaign that saw him make 49 appearances, including four games for the under 23s, and score two goals. Odutayo said: "I'm absolutely delighted to be able to spend even more time at Fulham. I've been here since I was a kid and this is my boyhood club."

UPDATE: The Athletic's Peter Rutzler reports that forwards Mika Biereth, who scored 25 goals in 41 games for the under 18s last term, and Jean-Pierre Tiehi, who netted 23 times in 56 games for the under 18s and under 23s, have turned down Fulham's contract offers. Neither are back in training at Motspur Park – but Fulham are continuing to negotiate with Biereth.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/odutayo-bowat-and-dauria-henry-agree-new-fulham-deals/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva: The Story So Far

Following his appointment this week, we take a look at Marco Silva's coaching journey which has now brought him to South-West London.

A right-back in his playing days, Silva made most of his professional appearances for the club at which he retired; GD Estoril.

Immediately after hanging up his boots in the summer of 2011, he was appointed Director of Football at the Lisbon side. However, within a couple of months he was asked to manage to the team, aged just 34, following the dismissal of Brazilian coach Vinícius Eutrópio.

"Marco Silva will be the coach," the club's President Tiago Ribeiro said at the time. "It won't be just for a game. We trust in his abilities and we want him to stay."

The team were sitting 10th in the Portuguese second tier when Silva took charge, but he immediately demonstrated his managerial credentials by leading them to the title that same season.

He was subsequently named the division's Manager of the Year.

Now in the top flight and competing with the likes of Porto, Benfica and Sporting Clube de Portugal, many expected Estoril to make an immediate return to the second tier.

But Silva's progressive style of football suited his team, and they finished in an impressive fifth position, two places ahead of their Lisbon rivals Sporting, bringing European football to the club for the first time in its history.

The following season, Silva managed to go one better, leading Estoril to fourth spot in the Primeira Liga.

His success was being closely watched from nearby, and in the summer of 2014 he made the half hour journey across the capital to join Sporting as their head coach.

It was here that he first worked with Luis Boa Morte, who was coaching their Under-19 side.

Silva spent only one season at the Portuguese giants but made his mark. Their third place finish was enough to secure Champions League football, while they also won the prestigious Taça de Portugal – the equivalent of the FA Cup – which was the club's first silverware for seven years.

A move away from his homeland came next, when historic Greek side Olympiakos came calling.

Again, he made an immediate impact, winning his first 17 league matches to have the title all but sewn up by January.

After that they dropped points in just two fixtures, meaning that they won the title by a ridiculous margin of 30 points.

Olympiakos almost made it a domestic double only to be narrowly edged out 2-1 by AEK Athens in the Greek Cup, but another highlight did arrive in the UEFA Champions League when they defeated Arsenal 3-2 at the Emirates.

Silva's first job in England was a difficult one, with Hull City sitting bottom of the Premier League having won just three league matches all season.

He won his first Premier League game 3-1 against Bournemouth, and took four points off Manchester United and Liverpool soon after.

Four consecutive home victories then looked as though they might just about be able to pull off a great escape, but in the end the Tigers fell just short in 18th place.

Nonetheless, Silva's role in turning around the club's fortunes impressed those elsewhere, with Watford deciding he was the man to take them forwards, having finished one place above Hull in 2016/17.

He hit the ground running once more, with the Hornets losing just one of their opening eight Premier League matches – form which had them sitting fourth in the standings.

Silva wasn't at Vicarage Road for long, departing in January 2018, but left the club in a healthy position in the top half of the Premier League.

His time out of work was brief, with long-time admirers Everton hiring him ahead of the new campaign.

Silva's first season in charge at Goodison Park saw him lead the club to eighth spot, narrowly missing out on a European place. One more win would have seen them leapfrog Wolverhampton Wanderers in seventh.

The season featured impressive wins over Chelsea, Leicester City and Arsenal, in addition to a 4-0 thumping of Manchester United.

In the summer of 2019, Silva and Boa Morte were reunited, with the latter appointed as the Toffees' new assistant manager.

Arriving on Merseyside, Boa said: "I'm excited to be working again with the manager, Marco Silva, who is a great coach and I would like to thank him for providing me with such a big opportunity."

Having waited for the right time to embark on his next challenge, Silva is now looking forward to a new era at Craven Cottage.

"I'm really pleased and proud to be appointed Head Coach of such a historic football club," he said after signing his contract. "I want to thank the owner, Mr Khan, Tony Khan and the entire football structure of Fulham Football Club, for the trust shown in us.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/july/Marco-Silva-The-Story-So-Far/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Special Episode: Marco Silva Becomes The New Fulham Head Coach

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This was an extensive interview with journalist Richard Buxton, who covered Marco Silva's time at Everton. We first talked about Silva's time at Everton, and in the second half of the show Richard shared his thoughts on the potential that he could bring to Fulham as their head coach. We also did a comparison between ParkerBall and SilvaBall.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/7/2/22560944/cottage-talk-special-episode-marco-silva-becomes-the-new-fulham-head-coach