more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 07/07/21...

Started by WhiteJC, July 07, 2021, 12:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer round-up: Bryan, Osayi-Samuel & Robinson updates

Now Marco Silva has arrived at Craven Cottage, the work can really begin for Fulham ahead of next season back in the Sky Bet Championship.

There's no reason why the Cottagers can't challenge for promotion next year, but they need to get some new faces in and decide just what sort of squad they want to have in the coming weeks.

Silva could be a busy man, then, and here we're taking a look at some of the latest transfer rumours surrounding the club...

Antonee Robinson linked away
According to Football Insider, Wolves are readying a move for full-back Antonee Robinson with the report suggesting a fee of around £10m could get the deal done.

Robinson is clearly a very talented footballer and a move back to the Premier League would be far from undeserved, given the potential he has too.

Wolves may well be his next destination, then, but we'll just have to see if they stump up the cash to bring him in.

Kean Bryan interest
According to The Sun, Fulham are among the clubs interested in signing Sheffield United defender Kean Bryan.

The player is yet to decide where he wants his future to lie with manager Slavisa Jokanovic saying that he can leave if he does not want to remain at Bramall Lane.

A potential boost for Fulham, then, but we'll have to see if they do decide to make a move for the player in the near future.

Bright Osayi-Samuel linked
According to Nigeria Today, Bright Osayi-Samuel is a player that Silva wants to bring in this summer.

The winger only left west London back in January as he sealed an exit from QPR but could already be coming back with him currently based out in Turkey.

He's a player that knows the Championship well and can be a real terror on his day, so could potentially boost the Fulham attack for next season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-transfer-round-up-bryan-osayi-samuel-robinson-updates/

WhiteJC

Fulham interested in Watford midfielder Will Hughes

Fulham boss Marco Silva is a 'big fan' of Watford's Will Hughes, according to journalist Darren Witcoop on Twitter (see tweet below).

Fulham are in the hunt for some reinforcements to their squad as they prepare for life under their new boss.

Hughes, who is 26-years-old, is a player who they could attempt to lure to Craven Cottage this summer.

The left-footed midfielder has just helped Watford gain promotion to the Premier League under Xisco Munoz.

Hughes has been with the Hornets since 2017 and has been a regular for the Hertfordshire club over the past four seasons, making 118 appearances in all competitions.

He started his career at Derby County and went on to play 187 times for the Rams before earning a move to the top flight .

Hughes is now on the radar of Fulham as Silva looks to put his own stamp on his newly inherited squad.

Thoughts

Hughes is a quality player at Championship level and would be a great signing for Fulham if they were able to bring him in.

Marco Silva's appointment will have raised some eyebrows but he could turn out to be an inspired appointment if the recruitment is right over the next couple of months.

Fulham have a tough task on their hands trying to tempt Watford into cashing in on Hughes. He made 31 appearances last season and may still be in their plans for the Premier League.

https://the72.co.uk/241481/fulham-interested-in-watford-midfielder-will-hughes/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva pulls his old Hull City band back together at Fulham

The ex-City boss became a popular figure in east Yorkshire during his short spell in charge

City's then manager Marco Silva during the Swansea game at the KCOM

Marco Silva is getting his old Hull City band back together at his new club Fulham.

The Portuguese boss was appointed at Craven Cottage last week following the departure of Scott Parker to Bournemouth, in what will be his first managerial post since being dismissed by Everton in December 2019.

Silva will be joined at the Cottage by five members of backroom staff, three of which were with him during his short stint at the KCOM Stadium – as it was then – where despite a terrific run at the end of the 2017 campaign, was unable to keep the Tigers in the Premier League.

Goncalo Pedro was Silva's first team coach at City having worked with him at Estoril, Sporting Lisbon, Olympiacos, Watford and Everton, while ex-Portugal and Benfica goalkeeping coach Hugo Oliveira has previously worked with the manager Watford and Everton as well as the Tigers.

Analyst Antonis Lemonakis is the third member of his coaching staff sticking with him.

The Greek first worked with the 43-year-old with Olympiacos before following him to east Yorkshire, then Merseyside and finally Hertfordshire.

"I'm really pleased and proud to be appointed head coach of such a historic football club," Silva said upon his appointment last week.

"I want to thank the owner, Mr (Shahid) Khan, Tony Khan and the entire football structure of Fulham Football Club, for the trust shown in us.

"I'm excited to get started and my message for our fans ahead of this big challenge is we will all be working very hard together to be successful so they can feel proud at the end of the season."

Silva spent four and a half months at City, having come in to replace Mike Phelan and managed six wins from his 18 games in charge.

He can look forward to a MKM Stadium reunion on August 21 when Fulham arrive in east Yorkshire, while City visit the Cottage on February 12.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marco-silva-pulls-old-hull-5613923

WhiteJC

Sheffield United handed promotion boost as Fulham, West Brom and rivals commit to squad overhaul

The Blades will operate with a similar squad under Slavisa Jokanovic whilst others have plenty of new faces to bring in.

Whilst the clamour for Sheffield United transfer activity will not disapparate, the Blades could benefit from the lack of squad churn at Bramall Lane.

Slavisa Jokanovic is still getting his feet officially under the table after being unveiled to the media last week.

The former Fulham boss was, of course, announced as Chris Wilder's successor last month but begun hands-on work with the squad last week.

As widely reported by Yorkshire Live, Jokanovic will have to work with the bulk of his current squad. There will not be buckets to spend in the transfer window as the club look to plug the gap after missing out on a third year of Premier League revenue.

Interest in their current crop could largely dictate United's budget, with speculation around Sander Berge and Aaron Ramsdale rife, though the club are under no obligations to sell either unless their handsome price tags are met.

Jokanovic was under no illusions of the restraints in place when he took the role and he has repeatedly said he's happy to work with the squad available.

Although United finished bottom of the Premier League, they have a proven Championship squad, which has seen over £100million worth of investment in the last 18 months.

Whilst the Blades have a settled ship, new Fulham boss Marco Silva has a huge task to fill his squad with a little over a month until the new season begins.

The Cottagers relied heavily on loan players last season and with the likes of Alphonse Areola, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Ademola Lookman returning to their parent clubs, new faces are needed at Craven Cottage.

Based on data provided by experimental361, of the minutes played for the Cottagers in the Premier League last season, just 58% of those were made by Fulham players still contracted to the club.

The handy graphic gives a visual representation of the squad overhaul by each club, with those at the top maintaining a consistent squad, compared to those that have ripped things up to start afresh.

Sheffield United boast a settled squad ahead of the Championship season. (Image: Experimental361.)

Sheffield United, by contrast, stand at 85%, with only Millwall, Peterborough and Barnsley boasting a higher figure. It further underlines how settled the Blades' squad is, with a month until the 2021/22 opener against Birmingham City.

Last season's beaten play-off finalists, Swansea City, are enduring a mini reboot too, with only 67.8% of their minutes played by those currently contracted at the Liberty Stadium.

There is work for Valerien Ismael to do at West Brom too, as his squad is being represented by 73.8% of last season's squad.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-promotion-squad-overhaul-20978243

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with transfer move for Watford ace amidst Tom Cairney link to Sheffield United

Fulham boss Marco Silva is said to be a big admirer of Watford midfielder Will Hughes and could well move for the player this summer, as per a recent post on Twitter by football journalist Darren Witcoop.

It has been suggested that the Whites view Hughes as a like for like replacement for their captain Tom Cairney, with Football League World having previously revealed that Sheffield United are interested in the playmaker this summer following the appointment of Slavisa Jokanovic.

Hughes was a regular for the Hornets last term as they sealed their return to the Premier League at the first attempt under Xisco Munoz and is sure to command a hefty fee after entering the final year of his contract at Vicarage Road.

Silva previously managed Hughes during his time at Watford and could well turn to the 26-year-old if he chooses to sell Cairney onto the Blades, with speculation refusing to go away in recent weeks.

The former Derby County midfielder largely played in a deeper role under Munoz last term and made 31 appearances across all competitions as they clinched promotion.

The Verdict

I think Hughes would be an ambitious but clever addition for Fulham to make and there is no doubt that he would add some extra quality to their midfield.

However it does appear unlikely that he would be willing to swap a season in the Premier League for another campaign in the Championship after winning promotion.

He is well into his prime as a midfielder and I think he would be better off staying with Watford for the time being until his contract expires at the very least.

A move would greatly depend on whether Cairney moves on and it appears that we are yet to hear the end of that transfer saga as talk of a move to Sheffield United refuses to go away.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-linked-with-transfer-move-for-watford-ace-amidst-tom-cairney-link-to-sheffield-united/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva's first Fulham transfer target could pave way for a Slavisa Jokanovic reunion

The Blades have been linked with a move for Fulham's Tom Cairney, who was a key player under the United manager during their time together at Craven Cottage

Sheffield United will be keeping a close eye on Marco Silva's transfer activity in the coming weeks.

The new Fulham manager has today been linked with a move for Watford midfielder Will Hughes.

The 26-year-old is entering the final year of his contract and was Silva's first signing when he was appointed Hornets manager in 2017.

According to Darren Witcoop, of the Sunday Mirror, Silva has made Hughes his first target after replacing Scott Parker in the Craven Cottage dugout.

A similar player to Tom Cairney, a move for Hughes could open the door for Slavisa Jokanovic to try and lure Cairney to Bramall Lane.

He was a key player for the new Sheffield United manager when the pair were together at Fulham and they have already been linked with a reunion.

The 30-year-old would not come cheap, though.

The Blades are targeting the loan market this summer to freshen up the squad.

Jokanovic revealed on Friday that he may have to be patient if he wants to make permanent signings, with funds raised from player sales having a key impact on his moves in the transfer market.

He also admitted that he has handed his own list of targets to the club as well as entertaining those compiled by the club's head of recruitment Paul Mitchell.

United are in Spain this week for a warm weather training camp as Jokanovic and his new members of staff jet off for an important week on the training ground.

He is in no rush to make signings and is keen to assess his squad first before pressing ahead with incomings.

His work in the market could well be determined by the outcome of interest in Sander Berge, with any funds raised from a potential sale likely to add to his transfer kitty.

That could well be a deciding factor in United making a move for the Fulham man.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/marco-silvas-first-fulham-transfer-20982433

WhiteJC

Fulham handed boost in Kean Bryan pursuit

Fulham have been handed a boost in their bid to bring Kean Bryan to Craven Cottage this summer.

What's the talk?

That's according to a report by Yorkshire Live, who relayed the comments of Sheffield United manager Slavisa Jokanovic regarding the centre-back's future at Bramall Lane.

The 52-year-old revealed that the defender is yet to sign a new deal with the Blades, nor has he given any indication that he will be putting pen to paper on the club's offer, with his previous deal in Sheffield having expired at the end of last month.

It has been reported that Fulham, along with a host of other clubs, are interested in a move for the 24-year-old in the summer transfer window, with the former England U20 international's indecision over his future appearing to open to door on a potential switch.

Silva will be buzzing

Considering just how impressive Bryan was towards the back end of last season, the fact that the defender appears very much available to sign on a free transfer this summer is sure to have left Marco Silva buzzing.

Indeed, over his 13 Premier League appearances for Sheffield United last term, the £1.8m-rated man helped his side keep two clean sheets, as well as making an average of one interception, 1.5 tackles, 2.7 clearances and winning 4.3 duels per game.

The £3k-per-week centre-back also helped out in an attacking capacity, scoring one goal and creating one big chance for his teammates, as well as making an average of 0.3 key passes per league fixture.

These returns saw the 24-year-old Chris Wilder dubbed a "talented" player earn a seasonal SofaScore match rating of 6.74, ranking him as the Blades' 10th-best player in the top flight of English football last season.

As such, it would very much appear as if Bryan would make a fantastic addition to Silva's options in the heart of the Fulham defence in the Cottagers' upcoming Championship campaign, especially when taking into account the fact he wouldn't cost Shahid Khan a penny in transfer fees.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-transfer-rumours/fulham-transfer-news-kean-bryan-marco-silva-sheffield-united-the-championship

WhiteJC

Kean Bryan to Fulham: Is it a good potential move? Would he start? What does he offer?

Fulham are facing a big summer transfer window following their relegation from the Premier League at the end of last season.

The Cottagers will of course be targeting a swift promotion back from the Championship, but are one of the few clubs in the division who have yet to make a signing, although that may be at least in part down to the change in manager the club have overseen, with Marco Silva taking over from Scott Parker.

However, it seems that the club are still plotting for potential signings, and one player who has been linked, is defender Kean Bryan.

The centre back is out of contract with another of last season's relegated Premier League sides, Sheffield United, and while he has been offered a new deal by the Blades, it remains to be seen if he will extend his stay at Bramall Lane, amid those claims of interest from the likes of Fulham.

But just what would it for Fulham if they were to complete a deal for Bryan this summer?

Here, we've weighed that up with a look at some of the questions that might arise from these links.

Would it be a good signing?

It does seem like this would be a decent piece of business for Fulham if they can do it.

Despite their relegation after such a difficult campaign, Bryan was one of the more impressive figures for Sheffield United last season in the Premier League.

As a result, you do feel as though Bryan would be a more than useful asset for Fulham in the battle for promotion from the Championship next season.

Indeed, with his contract situation meaning he would be available for free this summer as well, this could be a useful move for the Cottagers from a financial perspective as well.

Would he start?

You would expect him to.

Joachim Andersen's loan from Lyon has now come to an end, while Tosin Adarabioyo is apparently attracting interest from the Premier League.

That means that there could be plenty of space to be filled in the centre of Fulham's defence, meaning there would no doubt be opportunities for a player such as Bryan, who is capable of playing at this level.

Indeed, given the fact that Sheffield United have offered Bryan a contract, you feel a guarantee of game time would be key to tempting the 24-year-old to make the move to Craven Cottage this summer.

What would he bring?

You feel that Bryan would offer quite a lot to Fulham if he was to join.

As has already been mentioned, he does have the ability to play in the Premier League, which could make him a useful player in a Championship promotion race.

Indeed, having tasted top-flight football last season, you imagine Bryan would arrive at Craven Cottage with a strong desire to get back to that level sooner rather than later.

It is also worth noting that at 24-years-old, Bryan still has plenty of time remaining in his career, meaning he would have the potential to be an important asset to Fulham for many years to come.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/kean-bryan-to-fulham-is-it-a-good-potential-move-would-he-start-what-does-he-offer/

WhiteJC

McAvoy and Ashby-Hammond sign new deals

Connor McAvoy and Taye Ashby-Hammond have agreed new deals to stay with Fulham, the club have announced this afternoon.

Scottish centre back McAvoy has made real strides since impressing as a scholar at Motspur Park, making 24 appearances for Fulham's under 23s last season having shown leadership potential as skipper of the club's under-18 side. The 19 year-old was delighted to put pen to paper on a new two-year contract:

"It means everything to me to extend my time at Fulham. Having been here since I was eight, it's the place I've learnt everything I know as a footballer. I enjoy playing for the club and it's like a second home to me. I was taught and supported by the coaches here from a young age and I've grown up in an environment I felt comfortable in, which helped me enjoy football for the last 10 years."

McAvoy is open to going out on loan to further his development when the new campaign gets underway. "I'm going to see how pre-season progresses for me and maybe look for a loan option to gain some experience in men's football. I think I need a challenge to take me to the next level and a loan could represent that."

Ashby-Hammond, part of a formidable group of young goalkeepers at Fulham, earned invaluable senior football experience last term – making 33 appearances in the National League for Maidenhead. He has agreed a new one-year contract with the Whites.

"I'm delighted to extend my contract! This will be my 15th season at the club and I'm really looking forward to the next challenge. I learnt a lot from my loan in the National League, a difficult, physical division. There were lots of crosses and through balls to deal with, but I enjoyed it a lot."

Academy director Huw Jennings added: "Connor was the defensive leader for the Under-23s last season as a right-sided centre-back who could also play at right-back. He has featured with Scotland's youth teams, captaining the Under-19s. He'll be looking to push on with his journey at the club towards senior football during the course of this contract. Taye will be aiming to get more experience in goal having excelled with Maidenhead in the last two Covid interrupted seasons."

Fulham hold a one-year extension option on both McAvoy's and Ashby-Hammond's new contracts.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/mcavoy-and-ashby-hammond-sign-new-deals/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: 'I left Fulham in a good place'

Scott Parker believes he left Fulham in a good place as he prepares to start the new Sky Bet Championship season with Bournemouth.

The 40-year-old's departure from Craven Cottage was announced last Monday, and he was confirmed as Cherries boss less than four hours later.

Parker took his first senior managerial role at Fulham, where he was placed in caretaker charge in February 2019, but was unable to keep the club out of the relegation zone in the Premier League.

After being appointed permanently in May that year, the Cottagers secured promotion back to the top flight, although their return lasted less than a year as relegation was confirmed in May.

Speaking at his first press conference since taking charge at Bournemouth, Parker said: "I had a fantastic time at Fulham, I'm very very proud to lead the club, I have nothing but admiration.

"What I can say is every single day I went into that football club as a player or as a coach, I literally gave every bit of me to the club to try and be successful.

"I'd like to think I did that really. I know I leave the football club in a good place. I understand that people may point the finger and say 'you got relegated last year' but like I keep saying, there's something bigger and there's something deeper than just winning a league or a relegation really.

"When you're at a football club, the heart and soul of it is bigger than a win or a loss, so I'd like to think I leave the football club in a good place.

"I couldn't tell you what reception I would get, but what I do know is that I'm immensely proud of being manager there and what I did there."

Bournemouth pushed for promotion back to the top flight last season and reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, but Jonathan Woodgate, who had been thrust into the job unexpectedly after taking up a short-term post as first-team coach, was not chosen to lead the team going into the new campaign.

Parker said it was Bournemouth's vision which enticed him away from Craven Cottage.

He said: "The people and how it was sold in terms of the vision and where we want to go and what we want to build really – I think that was a key part, so that's what brought me here and that's what I'm looking forward to.

"I'm excited about the next challenge. It's a change I'm looking forward to and one I'm hoping will be successful."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/bournemouth/news/scott-parker-i-left-fulham-in-a-good-place_454215.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Jim Stannard's £10K Target

Twitter users may have recently seen a campaign to raise £10,000 for Jim Stannard to have an operation on his prostate.

The Just Giving page launched under two weeks ago, but such is the former goalkeeper's popularity, he's already closing in on his target.

"It's been absolutely brilliant, it's like a football family," Stannard replied when asked for his reaction to the donations. "All the supporters from Fulham, Southend and Gillingham have come together and donated, which is magnificent. I'm so pleased, absolutely chuffed.

"I'm humbled beyond belief. To think it's only been 10 or 11 days and we've almost reached that target."

At the time of writing, Jim sits about £1,300 short of the sum needed.

"I've looked this morning and we're just stuck on a certain amount of money," he explained. "I'm sure we'll get there, but I'm so chuffed that we've raised as much as we have in this sort of time which means I can get the operation much quicker.

"I was in hospital yesterday having the first part of it done, and it's just nice that we can get this sorted in the next few weeks.

"Unfortunately, things happen in life and this has happened to me, but the football community has come together and shown their support through my Just Giving page.

"I just need to reach that final target now, we're a bit short at the moment, but hopefully we get there over the next week or so.

"The operation's been booked in for early August, and that's on the assumption that I can reach that final bit.

"But the support has been fantastic and I'm really chuffed with what everyone's done for me. I couldn't ask for anything more."

Ordinarily, the operation would be done on the NHS, but the knock-on effect of Covid meant that Stannard would have been looking at a substantial wait.

"I went private to get the diagnosis first of all, and then the NHS have unfortunately got a lot of backlogs," he said. "My consultant came back to me and said it would be at least 10-12 months before I got the operation, and for what I need done it could even be a little bit longer.

"I was originally quoted that my prostate was 70 per cent enlarged, but the results yesterday showed that it's a little bit bigger than that.

"So it's quite important that I can get this sorted out, and the way the supporters have come together, as I said before, I'm so humbled that they've raised the money for me."

Fans under the age of 30 would likely have never seen Stannard play. But to give that generation some context, he is quite simply a Club legend.

Across two spells with the Whites, he played 430 times, putting him eighth amongst our all-time appearance makers.

And so it was apt that he became one of the very first recipients of a Forever Fulham award, which he was presented with at half-time of our 1-0 win over Birmingham City in December 2017.

"That was lovely," Jim said. "Fulham is me, really. It was such a big part of my life, I spent the majority of my career there and had some great times.

"I keep in contact with David Daly and he invited me to come back to the Club a few years ago to get the award, which was fantastic.

"Fulham will always be in my heart after spending so much time there and playing so many games for them.

"I always had a good relationship with the supporters, they were fantastic, even though they were dark days at Fulham back then in the lower leagues.

"It's always been a big part of my life, and I still love watching Fulham now."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/july/Jim-Stannard-s-10K-Target/

WhiteJC

2 knock-on effects as Fulham eye potential move for newly-promoted Premier League star

Fulham boss Marco Silva is considering a move to sign Will Hughes this summer, according to Darren Witcoop of the Sunday Mirror.

The Watford midfielder has spent the last four years at Vicarage Road enjoying his role as one of the Hornets' most influential players during that time.

One of his managers at the club was Marco Silva, the man who has recently taken up the head coach post at Craven Cottage following Scott Parker's move to Bournemouth.

With Silva plotting a reunion with Hughes this summer we take a look at the potential knock-on effects that could take place in the Fulham camp.

A potential exit for Tom Cairney

The Fulham skipper has been heavily linked with a move away this summer.

Reports from Teamtalk have claimed that Slavisa Jokanovic is looking to bring the midfielder to Sheffield United following his appointment as the club's boss.

If Cairney does move on then Will Hughes could be the perfect replacements as Marco Silva looks to add a progressive playmaker to the central areas of his midfield.

A huge chunk of the transfer budget

While Will Hughes will be a substantial additional, there's no doubt that it will come at a cost.

The Watford man is highly-rated at Vicarage Road and that means that he won't be allowed to leave the Hornets on the cheap.

That doesn't mean that a move won't be affordable for Fulham, but if a deal is going to be done then I'd certainly expect him to cost a significant amount for a Championship club.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-knock-on-effects-as-fulham-eye-potential-move-for-newly-promoted-premier-league-star/

WhiteJC

Fulham dealt Antonee Robinson transfer blow

Fulham have been dealt a further blow in their bid to keep Antonee Robinson at Craven Cottage this summer.

What's the talk?

That's according to a report by Football Insider, who claim that Wolverhampton Wanderers are plotting a move for the 23-year-old defender in the summer transfer window, with the Cottagers thought to be demanding a fee in the region of £10m in order to part with the left-back.

News of Wolves' interest comes following an earlier report by the Daily Mail that Manchester City, as well as a number of other Premier League sides, are considering a move for the USA international ahead of next season.

Silva will be gutted

Having only joined Fulham from Wigan Athletic in what was a £1.9m deal last summer, the fact that Robinson looks set to leave west London after just one highly impressive season is sure to have left Marco Silva gutted.

Indeed, over his 28 league appearances for Fulham last term, the £6.3m-rated man helped his side keep four clean sheets, in addition to making an average of 1.3 interceptions, 1.6 tackles, 1.9 clearances and winning five duels per game.

The 23-year-old also chipped in for his side going forwards, creating four big chances and making an average of 1.1 key passes in each fixture.

These returns saw the left-back Scott Parker dubbed a "quality" talent earn an average SofaScore match rating of 6.89, ranking him as the Cottagers' 12th-best player in the top flight of English football.

As such, considering the amount of potential Robinson appears to possess, if Silva were to lose his services this summer, it would not only damage the club's chances of going on to secure an immediate return to the Premier League next season, but also see them lose a player who could well have been their first-choice left-back for many years to come.

However, with both Manchester City and Wolves being able to afford the American's £10m asking price, it would very much seem as if Robinson could be on his way out of west London in the not so distant future.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-transfer-rumours/fulham-transfer-news-wolves-antonee-robinson-marco-silva-manchester-city-the-championship

WhiteJC

Leeds United transfer target Harrison Reed is perfect for Marcelo Bielsa

Leeds United transfer target Harrison Reed could solve a major problem for Marcelo Bielsa amid David Norris' transfer claim.

What's the story?

Reports in recent days and weeks have linked them with a move for Cagliari dynamo Nahitan Nandez, before The Daily Mail claimed that that the Whites tracked Fulham's Reed last season with a view to a summer swoop.

It was suggested that with the Cottagers' relegation from the Premier League, Leeds see the midfielder as an "excellent addition", and now Norris has thrown his backing behind a potential move.

Speaking exclusively to This is Futbol, the former Leeds man said: "The key things with the players that Leeds want to bring in is that they have to suit their high tempo style of play and the manager has to trust them.

"Looking at Reed from the outside looking in, he fits the bill, is busy, looks like he can graft, he is a team player and he's got a bit of quality as well."

Solves Bielsa's problem

A regular presence for the Cottagers last season, the £9m-rated Reed made 31 appearances in the top-flight, often playing alongside Andre Zambo Anguissa in the heart of midfield.

As per Sofascore, Reed won four duels per game in the Premier League last season, as well as making an impressive two tackles and 1.6 interceptions per match while also winning back possession 0.6 times.

To put that into context, Chelsea star and recent Champions League winner N'Golo Kante averaged 3.7 duels won and made 2.6 tackles and two interceptions per game. He also won back possession just as often as Reed at 0.6 times per match.

It's no surprise that the 26-year-old's former boss Tony Mowbray has waxed lyrical about the kind of engine Reed possesses, and also the kind of attitude he has – all shades of Chelsea's midfield dynamo.

The Blackburn manager said: " Immense! He's been fantastic playing in a wide position, working like a trojan, running forward, blocking off the wide play, helping his full-back, in to out, in to out, and yet playing centre-mid today, it shows you where his true position really is on the pitch.

"He's a fantastic player, but beyond his playing ability, his personality fits in amazingly well with our group."

One of the big issues last season was having someone who could fill Kalvin Phillips' shoes when he was missing from action, with the Whites actually winning just twice in the nine Premier League games that he was unavailable for.

In the tough-tackling Reed, Leeds could have someone who would be more than capable of stepping into the breach when required to be the anchorman in front of the back-four, and given his tigerish work-rate and personality, seems a perfect fit for Bielsa's demands.

https://www.footballfancast.com/leeds-united-transfer-rumours/leeds-united-harrison-reed-fulham-marcelo-bielsa-premier-league-elland-road-transfer-gossip-rumours-news-euro-2020-italy-spain

Bill2

Get  bit frustrated when I hear about all these clubs wanting our players and expect to get them on the cheap. Reed and Robinson have contracts probably 2 years left and we don't need to sell. Also they are going to clubs where they will be back ups to regulars so will spend most of the season on the bench or watching from the stands, so not sure Harrison will be too keen on being a bit player again.
Also the prices being quoted seem rather cheap to me and I would be asking for about 50% more.