News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is there a new physical class in football?

Started by Whiteroom, December 20, 2010, 04:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteroom

In a lot of sports there has become a new class of sportsman; the one who is physically superior to all of the competition. This results in being able to either out muscle or out last opponents. I am thinking of people like Nadal (a sporting phenomenon), who has inspired a new wave of ultra fit and extremely physical player. We also see this in football. I know that is has always been a physical sport, but we have got a new category of teams, like Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves etc who go out and bully teams with heavy tackles and extremely physical tactics. Is this going to destroy talent and the skilful intricacies of sport? Probably not, but its something that apparent in sport today.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Whiteroom on December 20, 2010, 04:27:27 PM
In a lot of sports there has become a new class of sportsman; the one who is physically superior to all of the competition. This results in being able to either out muscle or out last opponents. I am thinking of people like Nadal (a sporting phenomenon), who has inspired a new wave of ultra fit and extremely physical player. We also see this in football. I know that is has always been a physical sport, but we have got a new category of teams, like Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves etc who go out and bully teams with heavy tackles and extremely physical tactics. Is this going to destroy talent and the skilful intricacies of sport? Probably not, but its something that apparent in sport today.

I dont think that Blackburn and Wolves have a new physical class of players more that they simply try to compensate for being rubbish/having a lack of talent by aggression and foul play.

If the refs in this country stood up to these teams and started dishing out cards for the terrible challenges they put in, we might get somewhere.

Jimpav

I also think that the Bully Boys days are short lived in the PL.

Blackburn are sinking and Wolves are as good as gone. Stoke are also on the decline after 2 season of launching projectiles from the touch line into the penalty area.

Bolton are completely revitalised under Owen Coyle and play some half decent football.

Teams like WBA and Blackpool have proven that you can play good football and survive in this league without resorting to thuggery and donkey tactics.

So on this basis I think that the physical tactics will continue to draw criticism and remain a desperate measure employed by the less skillful teams.

finnster01

No, not really. And you can still win trophies by parking the bus and hoof it. Even more so now, with several of the big clubs takes it easy in the Cups and field weakened teams

Bully tactics has always been around so nothing new there. In case you forgot Wimbledon, the crazy gang and Vinnie Jones
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

In the 40+ years I've been watching English football, the thugs are always there because they lack the technique, pace, or guile to survive in the game without it. While watching the match Saturday morning in Bright Sunny Sunderland [ :tom: ], I was struck with the announcer's assessment of Cattermole's role as a card magnet. He's skillful enough to compete at the top level -- certainly enough to be an U-21 international -- but when forced into a one-on-one, he just doesn't have the pace to keep up with an opponent. As a result, he pulls the guy down or jumps into the tackle.

With the exception of the Dutch, who seem to be teaching all their players the art of the cheap shot for a number of years -- remember Van Nistelroy raking the shin of an Arsenal player a couple years back -- I think it's pretty much the same. If you can dispossess or neutralize a player skillfully, you don't need to be overly physical. This weekend's Sunderland match gave me the opportunity to watch Onohua [or whatever spelling that is] again in an emergency centre back role. He's certainly big enough to be a body-slammer, but he has great pace and timing and amazing balance. As a result, he's going to be an England defender for a very long time.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel