News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Did you watch the 1966 World Cup final and what memories do you have?

Started by spikey norman, July 09, 2021, 06:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b+w geezer

Particularly enjoyed cmg's story. Wonderful.

My only angle was that parents lived a 15 minute walk from the team's hotel, Hendon Hall, so my brother and I joined the throng welcoming them back. (Later they dined in the west end.)

Earlier in'66, at half time of Hendon FC v Leytonstone, it was announced that England players were attendance. Lo and behold Bobby Charlton was among those standing patiently in the drizzle, so I nabbed his autograph.

Our soon-to-be world champs remained for the whole of that 7th tier feast of football. Truly a different world.

ianthailand

Had a power cut just after half-time, came back on as they were running round the track with the trophy.

Lighthouse

It seemed so special to me as I was old enough to have football magazines and the whole build up was great. I remember the games leading up to the final and my Dad being excited for George Cohen. Every player was a household name. Oddly enough I am unsure who plays for what club in the England team now.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FulhamKC

Snibbo

Bought tickets for the 1st 3 group matches from the local newsagent with my pocket money. Didn't bother buying any more because I didn't think England would make it

David Allen Crankshaw

I was on holiday with a school friend at a holiday centre in Perranporth. About a dozen of the people at the centre crammed into a small room to watch the match on a   telly in black and white. On the pitch that day there were no tattoos, beards or dodgy haircuts. How times have changed.

bog

My abiding memory is of Alan Ball still running all over the pitch in extra time.

092.gif

Twig

I was 13 watching it at home with my family. When one of our goals went in (I forget which one), I leapt up in the air landed on our sofa and broke a spring. In the euphoria of victory even my Dad forgave me!

blingo

Quote from: Twig on July 10, 2021, 09:55:02 AM
I was 13 watching it at home with my family. When one of our goals went in (I forget which one), I leapt up in the air landed on our sofa and broke a spring. In the euphoria of victory even my Dad forgave me!

Were you known as Zebedee after that Mr Twig?

filham

I went to Wembley for England V France in an early round and came away predicting that England were not in with a chance of progressing, I just could not accept a team without wingers.

Enjoyed eating humble pie at home in front of the tele for the final.

georgiajohn

Lived in Vauxhall in those days, was a few days short of my 18th birthday. My grand parents lived in Chiswick and that's where I was going to watch the game. Remember getting the number 88 bus from Vauxhall, some of them went all the way to Acton Green but this one stopped in the Bush. I walked from the Bush to Chiswick, it was a mostly sunny day and there was as you can imagine a feeling of both anxiety and expectation in the air. One thing though it was nowhere like today's expectations, we drew with Uruguay in the first game 0-0 the media does not change Ramsey was for the chopping block after that game, but when we beat Argentina you suddenly realized we could do this, I was playing cricket for the Argentina game, then the semi against Portugal and I do not use this word very often the great Eusebio. Then the final, I got into a really big argument with my Long departed Grand father, at the end of 90 minutes, when the Germans equalized he said well that's it then we will fold, I was so mad I said to him where is your fighting spirit, what got you through the war. I mean this man had bought my mum and her six siblings through six years of war I could not even imagine, he worked in a factory on the Thames in Fulham, they were literally bombed out, I was arguing with him about a football match. The rest they say is history, England in the 60's was the place to be, this was the icing on the cake, Ramsey did what Southgate is doing he picked his teams and stuck by them, Greaves was by far the best striker in those days but had a little injury and Ramsey picked Hurst, before the game Ramsey was stupid, after the game he was a national hero. As for ball going over line, and the refs being bad, that was then, it was 1966 it was a game for humans, supervised by humans, not TV cameras slowing it down to milli seconds and slide rules, the game today is a far cry from those days, it is not the same game. It was though one of those moments in your life that everyone tells you, you will remember where and what you were doing for the rest of your life, I hope tomorrow is another one, I now live thousands of miles away from London, in Georgia USA, we will be having a party at my house with a lot of people I have coached in the game, but my heart will be there at Wembley hoping for another Historic day like 1966

Only Me

I had tickets for all the games except the semi final v Portugal, watched that one on T V.
I was fortunate as my dear old Dad worked at The Kensington Close Hotel. Most of the Refs were staying there and gave him spare tickets, still have the stubs.
I was 15 then and came back after the game with a thumping headake from all the Chanting
Happy days

grandad

Watched it at home alone. Parents were on a cruise, future wife was at the hairdressers. Felt a bit silly screaming with joy at the TV at the end.
Where there's a will there's a wife

St Eve

I was 10 and my parents had the great idea of driving to Scotland for a Holiday the same day as the match. Listened to it on the transistor radio.

mrmicawbers

My late Father who was Irish decided to drive down th Paignton in Devon for our fortnight holiday the morning of the game to avoid all the traffic.We got there at half time and watched it in the clubhouse of the caravan park.Everyone there pissed up and doing the conga after the game.Think I appreciated things more when me and my mates went to watch it at the Cinema in colour.I think it was called Goal.Remember a Fulham Fan with a Parker on Fulham on the back in the Fountain must have been Trafalgar Square.I was seven at the time great memories.Hope to have some more on Sunday fingers crossed.

Colton F.C.

Fathers have a lot to answer for especially mine who started taking me to Fulham at an early age.  However, in 1966 he took me to see England play Mexico and I was able to witness that fantastic Bobby Charlton goal.  Also that year we went to Earls Court and saw Muhammad Ali fight Brian London.  Thankfully for the Brighton Rock it did not go into extra time.

On to the final and back to black and white on holiday in the Lake District.  Some of it behind the sofa.  'You've won it once. Now you'll have to go out there and win it again'.  Tofiq Bahramov without the assistance of VAR.  'People are on the pitch.................' 

Fifty five years of hurt.

Twig

Quote from: blingo on July 10, 2021, 09:59:06 AM
Quote from: Twig on July 10, 2021, 09:55:02 AM

Were you known as Zebedee after that Mr Twig?

Lol, no I've always had the nickname Twig (my surname is Branch!).

cmg

Quote from: Colton F.C. on July 10, 2021, 02:15:30 PM
...  Also that year we went to Earls Court and saw Muhammad Ali fight Brian London.  Thankfully for the Brighton Rock it did not go into extra time...

"Blackpool" rather than "Brighton" Rock was the preferred seaside confectionary name applied to Mr London, I believe
He had a nightclub in that fine centre of entertainment where his hospitality towards a selection of West Ham players the night before a cup-tie was the beginning of the end for Bobby Moore at WHU...to our great benefit.

GrumpyWhite

Watched with all the family at Pontins holiday camp Christchurch - was 14 at the time.  My Dad who wasn`t a football fan was so impressed he got us a TV after the holiday - previously if I wanted to see football on TV I had to go round my Nan`s.

My abiding memory apart from the usual things was another camper who kept walking past our window throughout the match!!

ffcne

Went to Wembley as a 8 year old and saw the Mexico game.
And then to the great match against Portugal in the semi final.
With my Dad who was a  Fulham fan.
Watched the final  with a lot of Family at my Aunts House in Greenford.
Crowded round a  tv .
I do remember my Dad had backed Germany to win at start of the tournament.
And it was something that upset a lot of people including my Grandad who was horrified .