watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Worst grounds

Started by Andy S, July 18, 2021, 10:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somerset Fulham

Elm Park was grim, but Stoke for me.  Not so much the ground, but the supporters, police and stewards were arseholes.

Carborundum

So many memories from the grounds mentioned in the thread.  Quite a few of them happy ones.  Some not so much.  The worst thing that happened to me was a hard whack on the side of the head in the alley behind the stand at Barnet's Underhill ground.  Administered by the wheeling turn of a large police horse's backside.  Can't really blame the Barnet fans, who weren't amongst us, or indeed the horse for that.  The loons just ahead of me who spooked the horse knowing they were nowhere near the business end should have a circle of hell reserved for them.

The fans at Welling seemed fairly pleasant but had an original way to intimidate opposition penalty takers.  As the run up started a dustbin came sailing through the air and into the six yard box.

I'd also stick up for Exeter's St James's Park having lived there for a few years, I found it a brilliant place on a spare Saturday afternoon.  People friendly, unless you come from Plymouth. 

Look we all know that if you go looking for trouble, you will find it pretty quick outside a football ground.  But the overwhelming majority of football fans are decent people who quietly and stubbornly  will not allow idiots to come between themselves and something they love.

Andy S

The ground with the worst memories for me was Highbury back in the 70's after being beaten 5-3 bought a burger outside the ground which was soggy after the rain. Then had my scarf stolen. Chased after the guy got pushed to the ground and given a good kicking. Met up with my brother at the station and found that he had suffered the same fate. I've never had any sympathy for anything arsenal since.

Dr Know

Quote from: Andy S on July 22, 2021, 10:10:50 AM
The ground with the worst memories for me was Highbury back in the 70's after being beaten 5-3 bought a burger outside the ground which was soggy after the rain. Then had my scarf stolen. Chased after the guy got pushed to the ground and given a good kicking. Met up with my brother at the station and found that he had suffered the same fate. I've never had any sympathy for anything arsenal since.
Quote from: Andy S on July 22, 2021, 10:10:50 AM
Andy , I don't want to sound picky but that game was October 1967 , and yes I remember it poured down with rain that day . I was at the game aged 10 with my dad and had an old rattle , from the Second World War . on me and unfortunately whacked an Arsenal fan , by accident , across the back of his head when celebrating one of our goals !He was not a happy bunny and my dad quickly defused the situation!

Andy S

Thanks for that Dr know I was 15 at the time. I remember the game it would have been called an 8 goal thriller

SouthIslandWhite

I have normally attended away matches by going as an anonymous secret FFC supporter and hid in plain sight but kept my big mouth shut. I admit it's a bit of cowardice on my part, but I kept my teeth. But wear your colours at your own peril is what I have learned over the years.

I remember one time at Upton Park a very kind West Ham fan (Tomo) had noticed my tiny FFC pin on the lapel of my fleece jacket. Oops! Rookie move on my part.

Anyway thankfully after I removed it, Tomo said something like: "Yeah don't mind Fulham, family club, nice ground, always liked the supporters."  Surprising how many people have admitted that to me over the years.
There is only one Fulham Football Club.