watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Worst grounds

Started by Andy S, July 18, 2021, 10:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Where are the worst away grounds in the country for abuse? It used to be said that Milwall was bad and according to Leroy Rosenior Leeds was pretty grim. Abuse used to be part of making a ground a fortress but changes of attitudes can alter things but can they alter how people think inside a football ground after a few beers?

blingo

spikey norman

Gillingham and Luton

RaySmith

Upton Park/Boleyn Ground.

West Ham's new ground is also  terrible, an impersonal athletics stadium miles from anywhere and very hard to get to and from.
And ask Orient fans think about them getting  the Olympic stadium on the cheap.

hovewhite

Hartlepool, Scarborough.

Holders

Pompey used to be bad.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

cmg

When it comes to abuse of all types I think the old Den would be pretty hard to beat.
And when it came to actual physical danger, modern fans will never know the character forming experience of making their way through that maze of railway arches and alleys back to New Cross Gate station, especially after a Fulham win. 

cmg

Quote from: RaySmith on July 18, 2021, 11:25:52 AM
Upton Park/Boleyn Ground.

West Ham's new ground is also  terrible, an impersonal athletics stadium miles from anywhere and very hard to get to and from.
And ask Orient fans think about them getting  the Olympic stadium on the cheap.

Absolute disgrace that the Authorities were allowed to get away with breaching their own rules by dumping a big(-ish) time rival in the catchment area of a much smaller rival. One law for....etc.

Bill2

SuffolkWhite

Going back down the years, the worst for abuse was the Baseball ground especially "that match" and the walk to and from the station. Worst actual ground for facility was plough lane imo.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: blingo on July 18, 2021, 11:10:34 AM
QPR and Brentford

What grounds have you for these accusations Mr Blingo.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MartyFFC

Molineux is pretty ropey. Upton Park has to take it though; we were once pelted with fruit and veg as we walked to the away end, which I thought was a bit of an ironic east end stereotype. Can also recall there being police in the concourses and along the separating barrier in the stand instead of stewards, which is something I can't recall seeing anywhere else

Cornishnick

One visit to the old Man City ground Maine Road was quite 'orrible - fans piddling up against the walls outside the stadium and so it went on. Very definately not welcome there. Birmingham fans fairly nasty on a visit there too - very few of us but the fans shouting and taunting us throughout the match (don't think they watched much footie that day)

Dr Know

Quote from: Holders on July 18, 2021, 11:32:14 AM
Pompey used to be bad.
Still is !  Add Burnley , Celtic and Chesterfield !

Woolly Mammoth

Birmingham City back in the mid 70s for me, what a horrible bunch. They were not of this earth and believe me I have come across some human garbage in my working life. So I was use to it but nevertheless was not expecting the hostility before during after the game.
I happened to be in a shop doorway with my girlfriend at the time and a herd of these Cretins came running down the street attacking anyone they thought was a Fulham Fan, and my girlfriend was wearing a Fulham scarf.
Three of them screeched to a halt when they saw us. Took a long hard stare and as I was preparing myself for sore knuckles, their so called leader said leave him he is with his girlfriend much to my surprise and carried on looking for other victims whilst we composed ourselves.
What made me smile was that my girlfriend who knew me very well said they do not know how lucky they were to have carried on down the road, they will never know it but they dodged a bullet today and I have to agree she was probably right. 
West Ham home and away are not nice experiences for anybody, not forgetting the Celtic and Cardiff  pond life.

Never forget your Roots.

Lambo

Roker Park - remember how hostile they were because we drew 0-0!. The local train journey back to Newcastle was one of the sacriest experiences ever had at a football match

blingo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 18, 2021, 12:15:23 PM
QPR and Brentford

They both hate us Mr Brevit
QPR and Brentford

They both hate us Mr Woolly. If we had become fulham Park rangers it would have been the end for blingo.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: blingo on July 18, 2021, 02:46:35 PM
QPR and Brentford

They both hate us Mr Brevit
QPR and Brentford

They both hate us Mr Woolly. If we had become fulham Park rangers it would have been the end for blingo.

Perish the thought Mr Blingo, I once had an affair with a woman of a loftus road player and I certainly made the ground move for her.
But that probable does not count as a worst ground, more a grounds for divorce if she had been caught.

Never forget your Roots.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Cornishnick on July 18, 2021, 01:27:35 PM
One visit to the old Man City ground Maine Road was quite 'orrible - fans piddling up against the walls outside the stadium and so it went on. Very definately not welcome there. Birmingham fans fairly nasty on a visit there too - very few of us but the fans shouting and taunting us throughout the match (don't think they watched much footie that day)

Plus the 10 pounds I had to pay a 7/8 year old boy to park my car at Maine Road and ensure it didn't get scratched.
One goood point, the car wasn't scratched  :0)

Most frightening experience, a train full of Millwall supporters arriving at Coventry station, charging through
everyone abusing and shoving people before marauding through the streets to the ground.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

mrmicawbers

Can there be a worse ground than Gillinghams?