watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The mad myth of Mason Mount

Started by Nick Bateman, July 18, 2021, 04:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Chelsea's Mason Mount was invisible during Euro 2020 according to some and even the worst player on the park according to others, yet many previously believed the media hype that created his stature as a good or great player.
He cost England a possible 1-0 win when he failed to cut out the cross to Verratti on the far post: it was a 50-50 but one can see on the replay Mount "chickened" out. Yes, Mason Mount chickened out, has quite a ring to it.

He constantly gave the ball away, made foolhardy fouls in dangerous positions, and never once linked to any of England's attacks or moves. The worse than all, he occupied his place in the starting 11 in BOTH of England's last two matches only being substituted in extra time. Was Southgate watching different matches than the rest of us??!!

His club form was hardly spectacular as one would led to believe, 13 goals from 160 shots, only 10 assists. Seems like a very greedy player who does not pass to his teammates but would rather grandstand and under the law of averages (160 shots) might get a goal.

It appears to me that Mount is being given special treatment, allowed to play badly or invisibly, while others are subbed frivalously and being held up to scrutiny. It helped his cause having former Chelsea man Steve Holland in Gareth Southgate's ear almost 24/7. I have never seen any other international manager being lectured and hectored as much as Southgate was by Holland.

Add to this Fleet Street's worship of anything Abramovich and they can invent this suppose "talent" that permits him to walk into the England team and not earn it like everyone else. remember how they poured over Mount bestowing of his barely sweated shirt to a lowly England follower, an unworthy unwashed urchin whom was graced by his highness to "never wash and never sell" this most prized possession. Meanwhile captain Harry Kane was thrown to the wolves as they DEMANDED Southgate drop England's only quality centre-forward. Kane later proved the likes of Jamie Carragher and fools in the media how little they know about football, while Mount continued to occupy a place in the team keeping out far more worthy candidates such as Jack Grealish and Marcus Rashford.

Yet there has been barely any analysis over how and why we lost. There was much praise of Mount before the final with his mentor "Fat" Frank Lampard constantly referring to all the wonderous things he could do - at half-time even Lampard was suggesting Mount should be subbed, EVEN LAMPARD! Yet nothing was done while Southgate showed FEAR of the Italians not wishing to risk bringing on Grealish or Rashford to try and supplement our attack.

I am still disgusted how Southgate ruined the day for young Prince George after he was shown to celebrate England's goal earlier on. Southgate let everyone down and if he continues to play Mason Mount he will have shown he has learned nothing going into the next World Cup.

One may think I have a bit of a case about Mason Mount but I am merely writing this to balance up the constant hyperbole surrounding him.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Arthur

Quote from: Nick Bateman on July 18, 2021, 04:33:30 PM
One may think I have a bit of a case about Mason Mount but I am merely writing this to balance up the constant hyperbole surrounding him.

I haven't seen any exaggeration of Mount's talents on here since your identical thread about him a week ago. Surely, unless you post on the forums that those who are extolling his virtues are using, you are not 'balancing' anything. Aren't you failing to reach the right audience and achieve what you intend?

MartyFFC

sarnian

Love Mount in our team. Enough said.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Arthur on July 18, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

I haven't seen any exaggeration of Mount's talents on here since your identical thread about him a week ago. Surely, unless you post on the forums that those who are extolling his virtues are using, you are not 'balancing' anything. Aren't you failing to reach the right audience and achieve what you intend?

The troll needs feeding whilst there's nothing to talk about with Fulham

Nick Bateman

The balance is regarding the media who lavish his very existence Arthur. The same media who did NOT want England to win Euro 2020.
Quote from: MartyFFC on July 18, 2021, 05:12:28 PM
What's Mason done to you

Nothing. Same as he has done for England.
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 18, 2021, 05:22:09 PM

The troll needs feeding whilst there's nothing to talk about with Fulham
So only you are allowed to express your views, any other opinion is not welcome and therefore a troll. Shut your cakehole, dunderhead!

Whitestone

Mount is a top player who IMO underperformed at the Euros. I felt that he got more game time than his performances deserved.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

You asked this already. The general consensus was he's wasn't overrated.

Think you should drop it now. 

filham

Be careful Nick, you may see Mount replaced with RLC if you continue with your vendetta.

Blawarmy

Comfortably the most underperforming England midfielder in the tournament.  Grealish should have had much more gametime.  England's equivalent of Parker last season with Loftus cheek!

mrmicawbers

Quote from: MartyFFC on July 18, 2021, 05:12:28 PM
What's Mason done to you
think the clues in his surname.or maybe he refused to.

Pluto

Hes a good player on my view but I agree he was terrible at the Euros. I blame Southgate for not making the obvious substitution in the final and subbing him for Grealish much sooner than he did.

However you only have to look at his champions league performances for Chelsea last season to see what a good player he is in the right system and when fully fit. Maybe he was fatigued at the Euros or Southgate didn't use him correctly.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Blawarmy on July 18, 2021, 06:39:02 PM
Comfortably the most underperforming England midfielder in the tournament.  Grealish should have had much more gametime.  England's equivalent of Parker last season with Loftus cheek!

Actually that's a good parallel. Parker last season permitted Fulham to pass it around at the back, ad nauseum, until we made a mistake. There was no service to Mitrovic until he was dropped as an answer, similar to how Southgate treated Kane and generally Parker played extreme negative tactics. At the end, Fulham were the WORST team in the EPL as even the bottom side Sheffield U. could beat somebody!

Southgate had a great squad but barely used it, sometimes only making 1 substitution in 90 minutes. He failed to spot the under-performers like Mount which I am suggesting it was the media hype and Steve Holland chewing his ear off.

Mount was subbed in the European final, was woeful in Chelsea's last match V Villa when they needed a win to guarantee qualification, and his form of 13 goals from 160 shots is not impressive to keep out Grealish and others. Grealish came on twice as sub and created 2 goals; that's 2 goals more than Mount created in the entire tournament.

70sPimlico

As odd as it may sound, I hadn't seen much of Mount and was keen to see him perform.

To me, it was fairly obvious really quickly that he was under instructions to keep his shape, not lose his marker and be really focused on his work when we dint have the ball. With that in mind, I actually thought he was excellent

There is no question that Southgate had a plan. He would argue (probably fairly) that we didnt concede until the semi and didnt lose any game in 90mins or extra time and that his plan worked.

When he brought Grealish on, the instruction to the player was clearly to try and make things happen and focus on his attacking. And, as a fan, we obviously got more excited by what Grealish was doing than Mount.

To get wrapped up in knocking Mount as he wasn't doing what Grealish was doing, is, just silly. But, surely you know that.

I'm probably the real silly one in getting drawn in and responding on a Sunday evening. I've fallen into your trap

Hugh Gentry

Why would you care? How does it affect FFC this comng season? are  you at all interested in FFC being successful? what do you think about OUR players, OUR team, THIS league?

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on July 18, 2021, 09:17:22 PM
Why would you care? How does it affect FFC this comng season? are  you at all interested in FFC being successful? what do you think about OUR players, OUR team, THIS league?

When you were in diapers I've cared about Fulham and been through all the trials and tribulations (not many albeit) of our club. I happen to have a view that Abramovich influenced the FA/refs to give Fulham the worst refereeing in last season's EPL. So Chelsea has made an enemy of me.

Regarding this topic, were you the only person not engrossed in the national team? The tournament gripped the nation and was gracefully attended by royals including young Prince George who cheered our early goal V Italy like any football supporter up and down the country. It was a wondrous sight and I think he will be a great royal for the future. I feel sick about gifting the deshevelled Iti's Southgate's fear of losing especially in the first half. As I stated, even Mount's biggest fan Frank Lampard suggested he be taken off on the BBC coverage.

So, I have still not gotten over that tournament, that I followed a wall chart, tracking each game, observing each result and how it improved England's chances, checking the venues where we would play, same as many, many England fans who love their flag and their country. My critique of Mason Mount is not personal but circumstantial. He was the worst player on the pitch for whatever million excuses are afforded to him, yet never subbed in 90 minutes despite England calling for a change from our MOST talented bench according to most pundits. It does appear he was given preferential treatment and that was weakness from Southgate which ultimately cost England our first trophy in 55 years!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Why slag off NBateman.
He was stating the obvious, Mason Mount was irrelevant.
Not really his fault, he should not have been in the starting team at all.
Our strength was in the talented players we had, up front mostly.
If anyone can't see that after 30+ minutes we retreated, you must be blind.
Drawing back Sterling into a left sided defensive midfielder when he should have
been left (maybe up front on his own) when we were under prssure and at least
put pressure on their 'attacking centre backs. was awful management.
I know we got to the final, but by leaving Mount on (and others) and not using the talent we had
in the squad to 'scare' Italy was a sin.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on July 19, 2021, 02:04:11 AM
Why slag off NBateman.
He was stating the obvious, Mason Mount was irrelevant.
Not really his fault, he should not have been in the starting team at all.
Our strength was in the talented players we had, up front mostly.
If anyone can't see that after 30+ minutes we retreated, you must be blind.
Drawing back Sterling into a left sided defensive midfielder when he should have
been left (maybe up front on his own) when we were under prssure and at least
put pressure on their 'attacking centre backs. was awful management.
I know we got to the final, but by leaving Mount on (and others) and not using the talent we had
in the squad to 'scare' Italy was a sin.

0001.jpeg
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

"At the end, Fulham were the WORST team in the EPL as even the bottom side Sheffield U. could beat somebody!"

Fulham  would have beaten Man U at Old Trafford, 2-1,  last away game of the season, if a blatantly off-side goal hadn't been given.

Similarly at Arsenal a couple of games before that - we  drew, but their last minute winner was thought as clearly off-side by many, and why were there  7 mins of extra time? the game ending as soon as Arsenal had scored their controversial winner.

fulhamfan

Why is this forum obsessed with Mason Mount? Very odd