watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday fulham Stuff - 22/07/21...

Started by WhiteJC, July 22, 2021, 12:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer round-up: Harry Wilson latest, Jean Michael Seri update, Chelsea player won't be joining

Marco Silva will be eager to add to his squad in the coming weeks as the new EFL season draws ever closer for Fulham.

The Cottagers are back in the second tier after their relegation from the Premier League last campaign and they will be eager to get themselves out of the Championship at the first time of asking if they can.

Indeed, they will be fancied by many to do so but some additions are still needed and we'll have to see what the following weeks bring in terms of transfer rumours.

In the more immediate term, here are some of the latest stories concerning Fulham in the market...

Harry Wilson discussions
As per The Athletic, Liverpool and Fulham have held initial talks over a potential transfer involving Harry Wilson, though it remains to be seen if the Cottagers are going to want to sign the player for the fee quoted.

The Reds reportedly want £15m for the Welsh player this summer as they look to cash in on his performances for Cardiff City last season in the Championship.

It remains to be seen if Fulham are willing to stump up such an amount.

Marco Silva a fan of Jean Michael Seri
Seri was a big money arrival at Fulham but a lot of his career at Craven Cottage has been spent away from the club out on loan.

As per The Athletic, though, Silva is a big fan of the player and with the midfielder's future not yet decided he could yet end up remaining at the club for the coming season.

He's a player that does have quality but we've just not seen much of it at Fulham – perhaps Silva feels he can help unlock it this campaign.

Fulham set to miss out on Ike Ugbo
Ike Ugbo is set to join Genk from Chelsea, having been linked with the likes of Fulham and Watford this summer.

The deal to take him to Belgium is set to be a permanent one with the young striker ready to embark on a new challenge having spent a lot of time out on loan at the likes of Barnsley and MK Dons during his spell on the books at Chelsea.

As with a lot of former Blues graduates, perhaps we'll see him back in this country before too long.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-transfer-round-up-harry-wilson-latest-jean-michael-seri-update-chelsea-player-wont-be-joining/

WhiteJC

Liverpool send Fulham strong transfer message over 24-year-old winger

Former Premier League champions Liverpool have told Fulham they require £15m for the services of Welsh international Harry Wilson this summer, according to The Athletic.

24-year-old Wilson came through the Merseyside club's youth system but despite playing particularly well for Championship sides Derby County and Cardiff City in previous loan spells, the presence of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Diogo Jota and Xherdan Shaqiri is likely to keep the winger out in the cold at Anfield for the foreseeable future.

With this, Jurgen Klopp is open to selling the Welsh international this summer. However, his contract at the Premier League giant does not expire until 2023 after Wilson signed a new long-term contract with the Reds back in the summer of 2018 and because of this, they are currently holding out for a sizeable £15m fee.

The winger scored seven goals and recorded 12 assists for Cardiff City in 37 Championship appearances last term – an impressive record that nearly took the Bluebirds to the play-offs after a huge upturn in their form with Mick McCarthy's arrival in January.

But after rarely getting any first-team opportunities in Merseyside, it was Derby County where he made his breakthrough, scoring 15 Championship goals under Frank Lampard in the 2018/19 season and with a loan spell at then-Premier League side AFC Bournemouth also under his belt, Liverpool are likely to stick with this high valuation.

It is currently unknown whether Marco Silva's side have the resources to fork out this much on an individual player despite leading the race – but Benfica and top-tier side Brentford were also said to be in the running.

No bid has been made for the 24-year-old at this stage.

The Verdict:

With his record at Derby and Cardiff, this is the sort of player who can fire you to promotion and that has to be the aim at Craven Cottage again next season after their recent relegation from the top flight.

However, £15m is a hefty fee to spend in the Championship on one player and especially high in Covid-19 times. Stoke City's summer spending spree after their demotion from the Premier League in 2018 should serve as a reminder of how clubs can decline if their heavy investment in the second tier doesn't work out.

Manager Silva will also want to invest in other areas which makes this deal seem even more unlikely. However, it's definitely worth both sides going to the negotiating table to see if a deal can be struck in the interest of all parties.

An eight-figure fee may be out of the Cottagers' reach though.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/liverpool-send-fulham-strong-transfer-message-over-24-year-old-winger/

WhiteJC

Doncaster Rovers cast eye over Martell Taylor-Crossdale after Fulham exit

Doncaster Rovers have Martell Taylor-Crossdale on trial following his departure from Fulham, as per a report by the Doncaster Free Press.

Doncaster Rovers have played the attacker in their last two pre-season friendlies against Bradford City and Wakefield.

Taylor-Crossdale, who is 21-years-old, is a free agent after his release by Fulham at the end of the last campaign.

He had a trial with Championship side QPR earlier this year, as per West London Sport, but nothing came of that in the end.

Taylor-Crossdale started his career at Chelsea and rose up through the academy at Stamford Bridge.

The youngster left the Blues when his contract expired in 2019 and turned down a move to Hoffenheim before going to Fulham.

He went on to play once for the Cottagers' first-team and was loaned out to League Two side Colchester United for a brief spell last term to get some experience under his belt.

The England youth international was seemingly told his time at Craven Cottage was coming to an end this summer, hence why he was allowed to go to QPR on trial.

Doncaster are now looking at him and it will be interesting to see if anything develops.

Thoughts?

Richie Wellens' side have a lot of players on trial right now and have some big decisions to make.

Taylor-Crossdale would give them more competition and depth up top but lacks experience in the Football League.

https://the72.co.uk/242721/doncaster-rovers-cast-eye-over-martell-taylor-crossdale-after-fulham-exit/

WhiteJC

Greenwood: 'Joe Bryan was my toughest opponent'

Interesting little snippet from the Manchester United website this morning. Mason Greenwood, the talented teenage forward, has picked out Joe Bryan as the toughest opponent he has faced in his career.

Responding to a fans' question and answer session, Greenwood said: "I've probably got to say, it might be a surprising one, but do you know [Joe] Bryan, the one for Fulham? He allowed me no space, no time on the ball, when we played them home and away. It was one of my most difficult games for us. He's one you probably wouldn't think I'd say his name, but he was getting tight to me and not giving me much space. He was a good defender and he was probably my toughest challenge."

Bryan, whose goals took Fulham back to the Premier League last summer, also scored the equaliser at Old Trafford when the Whites claimed a creditable draw in May.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/greenwood-joe-bryan-was-my-toughest-opponent/

WhiteJC

Fulham set to miss out on Ike Ugbo

Fulham look to have failed in their attempts to bring Ike Ugbo to Craven Cottage this summer.

What's the talk?

That's according to a claim made by Fabrizio Romano, who revealed in a post on Twitter that the Chelsea centre-forward has now agreed terms with Belgian side KRC Genk ahead of a summer switch.

The journalist goes on to state that the 22-year-old wants to join the Jupiler Pro League as quickly as possible, with the deal expected to be completed in the coming days.

Previous reports had claimed that Fulham, as well as Premier League side West Ham United, were also keen on a move for the former England U20 international this summer, however, it now appears as if the London duo have missed out on the striker's signing.

Opportunity missed

While Chelsea themselves rarely benefit directly from their own relentless production line, the Blues academy often presents opportunities for so-called smaller sides to reap the rewards of the champions of Europe's youth setup, with Ugbo being the latest example of this.

Having joined the Blues at the age of eight, the centre-forward failed to make a single senior appearance during his 14-year spell at Chelsea, despite having highly impressed during a number of loan spells away from the club.

Indeed, over his 32 Jupiler Pro League appearances for Cercle Brugge last season, the £4.05m-rated man scored 16 goals, as well as taking an average of 1.8 shots and making 0.5 key passes per game.

These returns saw the man the Belgian media dubbed a "decisive" player earn a seasonal SofaScore match rating of 6.79, ranking him as Yves Vanderhaeghe's eighth-best performer in the Belgian top flight.

The £38k-per-week striker also impressed for Roda JC Kerkrade in the season before last, bagging 13 goals and registering three assists over his 28 appearances in the second tier of Dutch football.

So, while Chelsea clearly believe that Ugbo is not of the standard required to feature on a regular basis for their first team, it is evident that the Blues have nevertheless produced an extremely capable goalscorer.

And, with the 22-year-old reported to be available to purchase for a fee between €3 and €5m (£2.5m and £4.3m), there very much appeared to be the opportunity for Fulham to land an extremely talented player who has spent 14 years developing at one of the most prestigious clubs in the world for next to nothing this summer.

However, with Genk looking as if they have beaten the Cottagers to the signing of the youngster, this opportunity is one that now seems to have passed the club by – and we would not bet against the west London side coming to regret not pushing harder to land the striker at some point in the not too distant future.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-transfer-rumours/fulham-genk-chelsea-transfer-news-ike-ugbo-fabrizio-romano-marco-silva-the-championship

WhiteJC

Elyounoussi, Olufunwa, Stephens and the Southampton players that could feature against Fulham

As we prepare for Southampton's first friendly of four this summer, we take a look at the side that Ralph Hasenhuttl could name as he gets his first real glimpse his Premier League squad for the 2021-22 campaign

Southampton's first pre-season friendly is now just three days away with a trip to Fulham now scheduled for Saturday, July 24.

The two clubs will meet this weekend for a behind-closed-doors friendly that will allow Ralph Hasenhuttl's players a chance to somewhat make up for their cancelled pre-season trip to Austria.

Saints should have been "climbing the mountains" this week, joked Hasenhuttl, but instead they will be making the trip to London to get early minutes under the belts ahead of next week's trip to Glamorgan.

It is likely that fans will hear very little from Southampton's first summer friendly with the game set to be kept, well, behind closed doors - but who should Saints fans expect to feature on Saturday?

Firstly, Hasenhuttl will remain without Jannik Vestergaard and Jan Bednarek for this weekend's games, leaving him short of options in defence. The duo are yet to return to pre-season training following their Euro 2020 campaigns with Poland and Denmark with Vestergaard known still to be away on holiday.

Should they return later this week, it is unlikely that they will have sufficient time with the squad to be match-ready to feature against the Cottagers - leaving them back at Staplewood pushing to build their fitness.

Kyle Walker-Peters, Yan Valery, Jack Stephens, Mohammed Salisu and Romain Perraud have all been pictured ramping up their fitness ahead of the new campaign - offering Hasenhuttl five options to make up his four-man defence.

The Saints boss will also have teenage defender Oludare Olufunwa at his disposal. The young right-back-turned-centre-half has been training with the senior players this week, perhaps to prepare himself for a role in Saturday's clash.

Meanwhile, Hasenhuttl will have three midfield problems to contend with as he picks his side.

Will Smallbone will remain in the physio's room nursing his ACL injury, although he is now closing in on his eagerly anticipated return, while Stuart Armstrong will have managed only a matter of days in training come kick-off.

The Scotland international, along with colleague Che Adams, only returned from Euro 2020 on Monday and is unlikely to feature heavily.

Oriol Romeu and James Ward-Prowse are both fit while Mario Lemina is also ready to take to the field, even if it remains true that he does not feature in his manager's plans.

Moussa Djenepo's fitness may also be lagging having joined up with the group later than most (international duty) but Mohamed Elyounoussi, who is said to have impressed this summer, is likely to play a big part as he is gifted a second chance by his Austrian boss.

Nathan Redmond, Nathan Tella and Theo Walcott are also fit and ready to offer another option in attacking midfield.

Although not pictured during recent training seasons, Saints fans will expect to hear that Danny Ings has featured while Michael Obafemi and Shane Long are also in line to get minutes.

Here is a potential starting XI for the trip to Fulham and a list of players who could play a part from the bench...

Potential starting XI: Alex McCarthy; Kyle Walker-Peters, Jack Stephens, Mohammed Salisu, Romain Perraud; James Ward-Prowse, Oriol Romeu; Mohamed Elyounoussi, Nathan Redmond; Danny Ings, Michael Obafemi.

Subs likely to play a part: Fraser Forster, Oludare Olufunwa, Yan Valery, Ibrahima Diallo, Mario Lemina, Will Ferry, Theo Walcott, Nathan Tella, Stuart Armstrong, Moussa Djenepo, Shane Long, Che Adams.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/elyounoussi-olufunwa-stephens-southampton-fulham-5678851

WhiteJC

When Sheffield Wednesday trialists Sylvester Jasper and Tariq Uwakwe will learn their fate

The duo featured in the Owls' pre-season friendly against West Bromwich Albion. Darren Moore's side fell to a 2-0 defeat after a first half brace from Matt Phillips.

Trialists Sylvester Jasper and Tariq Uwakwe are in line to play some part in Sheffield Wednesday's next pre-season friendly against Wrexham.

Forward Jasper and midfielder Uwakwe were given run-outs in the Owls' behind-closed-doors fixture against West Bromwich Albion yesterday. Jasper, on trial from Fulham, replaced the injured Josh Windass in the first half while Uwakwe was introduced midway through the second half for Olamide Shodipo.

Jasper, 19, was utilised on the left wing, with Uwakwe on the opposite flank.

Yorkshire Live understands Wednesday plan on making a decision on Jasper and Uwakwe's futures after the Wrexham friendly.

Uwakwe is the latest player Owls chief Darren Moore has taken on trial.

So what do we know about the Chelsea youngster? Here is everything you need to know about Uwakwe.

Who is he?

Born in London, Uwakwe joined Chelsea at the tender age of eight. He steadily progressed through the youth ranks at the Premier League giants, impressing at both Under-18s and U23 level.

The central midfielder played his part in Chelsea's youth side winning a league and cup double under Jody Morris. He featured in the first leg of their FA Youth Cup final triumph over Arsenal in 2018.

After turning 17, Uwakwe signed his maiden pro contract at Stamford Bridge. His present Blues deal runs until next summer, with an option for a further year.

He has also represented England at U18, U19 and U20 level.

Has he played for Chelsea?

Not yet.

But Uwakwe spent last season on loan at Accrington Stanley. He made 21 appearances for the League One club, scoring four times and contributing four assists.

He scored a hat-trick in Stanley's EFL Trophy tie against Leeds United U21's, less than 24 hours after joining the Lancashire club.

"It was really just how I wanted to start," Uwakwe said. "To score a hat-trick on my debut is the best feeling.

"It's always great to get a big win. We've got a big game on Saturday so we'll keep working towards that. I played one friendly before getting here so to come here, get 90 minutes and score a hat-trick is special."

Uwakwe played in a variety of different positions for Accrington, including wing back and in midfield.

He said: "I always see myself playing in midfield or higher up in the future. But as you see now, Chelsea are currently playing with wing-backs so you have to be adaptable.

"If I'm asked to play there in pre-season, I would be happy to take my chance to play and hopefully perform and show people that I can do that."
What type of player is he?

He is quick, athletic, left-footed and can play multiple positions.

Uwakwe said: "I'm a player that just likes to get on the ball. Whether it's in the defensive third, offensive third or middle third. I just like to get on the ball, link up the play and get my players involved.

"I try to assist, get a couple of goals, and do my defensive duties as well. I'm a bit of an all-round player, I'd say."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-trialists-jasper-uwakwe-21109421

WhiteJC

Sheffield United dealt blow in Tom Cairney pursuit

Sheffield United have been dealt a huge blow in their bid to bring Tom Cairney to Bramall Lane this summer.

What's the talk?

That's according to a report by Football League World, who claim that Slavisa Jokanovic's side are unable to match Fulham's asking price for the central midfielder, leaving the Blades' interest in the 30-year-old at something of a crossroads.

The report goes on to state that the 52-year-old manager was hoping to make his former player one of the first signings of his reign at Bramall Lane, however, as things stand, a United move for the Scotland international does not look overly feasible.

Earlier reports have suggested that the Cottagers would be willing to part with Cairney for a fee of around £10m this summer, although others have claimed that the west London side have informed Jokanovic that the Scot is non-transferable.

Blessing in disguise

While Jokanovic will undoubtedly be disappointed about not being able to bring in a player who he clearly appreciates greatly, the fact that Fulham seem to be playing hardball over the transfer of the 30-year-old could actually be a blessing in disguise for the Blades.

With Conor Hourihane reported to be available this summer, with United having been linked with a move for the 30-year-old, not only would the Aston Villa man appear to be a much more cost-friendly addition than Cairney, but there is also an argument to be made that the Republic of Ireland international would actually be a better signing in the first place.

Indeed, when comparing the two players' form in the seasons their respective teams were last promoted to the Premier League, there would only appear to be one winner.

Over Cairney's 34 Championship appearances for Fulham in 2019/20, the £8.1m-rated man bagged five goals, provided five assists and created four big chances for his teammates, as well as taking an average of 1.1 shots and making 1.9 key passes per game.

These metrics saw the £27k-per-week midfielder – whom Scott Parked dubbed an "outstanding" player – earn a seasonal SofaScore match rating of 7.35, ranking him as the Cottagers' joint second-best performer in the league that year.

Meanwhile, over Hourihane's 46 Championship appearances in 2018/19, the £30k-per-week man scored eight goals, registered 12 assists and created 11 big chances for his teammates, as well as taking an average of 1.8 shots and completing 1.6 key passes per game.

These returns saw the £3.15m-rated midfielder earn an average SofaScore match rating of 7.20, ranking him as Dean Smith's third-best performer in the second tier.

As such, with Hourihane bettering Cairney's return of goals, assists and chances created, in addition to having a considerably lower valuation than the Scot, it would very much appear the smart move for Jokanovic this summer would be to pursue the Villa midfielder over the Fulham star.

https://www.footballfancast.com/sheffield-united-transfer-rumours/sheffield-united-transfer-news-tom-cairney-fulham-aston-villa-conor-horihane-slavisa-jokanovic-the-championship

WhiteJC

Joe Bryan's amusing response after Man United's Mason Greenwood names him his toughest opponent

Mason Greenwood surprisingly revealed Joe Bryan as the 'toughest player' he has come against in his career during a Q&A with Manchester United's fans.

Joe Bryan has given an amusing response to Mason Greenwood's claim that the Fulham player is the 'toughest' opponent he has faced in his career.

Greenwood has come up against some of the top full-backs in the world while playing for Manchester United.

He has made over 100 appearances for the first-team, including games in the Premier League, Champions League and Europa League.

So it surprised many when he gave his response to the question of who is the toughest opponent he had come up against in his young career.

When asked by young Red fans Phillip from Norway, Greenwood told the club's official website : "I've probably got to say, it might be a surprising one, but do you know [Joe] Bryan, the one for Fulham?

"He allowed me no space, no time on the ball, when we played them home and away. It was one of my most difficult games for us.

"He's one you probably wouldn't think I'd say his name, but he was getting tight to me and not giving me much space. He was a good defender and he was probably my toughest challenge."

Bryan's comments were shared on Sportsbible's Instagram page and it appears they even surprised the left-back.

The 27-year-old replied to the post joking: "What's he been drinking then?"

Bryan was part of the Fulham squad that got promoted in 2020, scoring twice in the play-off final before they went straight back down to the Championship after a tough season.

Greenwood therefore won't have to come against Bryan this season unless he signs for another Premier League team or United draw Fulham in one of the cup competitions.

The United youngster will hope to kick on another gear this season after scoring 12 goals in 52 appearances across all competitions last season.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-mason-greenwood-bryan-21112984