more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Pier Proposal

Started by JimOG, July 23, 2021, 10:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimOG

Statto

I have to say I was sceptical about the impact of a massive new Riverside stand on the character of our ground, but the way it has been executed, especially if this pier/walkway is added, we will surely have the most beautiful ground that has ever existed, in the world, by some distance. A listed brick facade on one side and a pier on the other - you couldn't make it up.

My only concerning thought is it may be a struggle to persuade TFL or whomever is responsible to put a riverbus stop so close to the existing stop in Putney. There isn't a lot of river commuter traffic up this end of the river.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Statto on July 23, 2021, 10:26:16 AM
I have to say I was sceptical about the impact of a massive new Riverside stand on the character of our ground, but the way it has been executed, especially if this pier/walkway is added, we will surely have the most beautiful ground that has ever existed, in the world, by some distance. A listed brick facade on one side and a pier on the other - you couldn't make it up.

My only concerning thought is it may be a struggle to persuade TFL or whomever is responsible to put a riverbus stop so close to the existing stop in Putney. There isn't a lot of river commuter traffic up this end of the river.

The rowing club had a hissy fit when we tried to extend out the few metres initially for the path going round the outside of the ground so god knows how they'll react to an actual pier being stuck out into the river. Agreed it will look amazing though and we'll have such a good looking ground if approved.

Woolly Mammoth

I hope the Pier goes ahead as I shall have somewhere to moor my River Launch on Match days.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JimOG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 23, 2021, 10:49:57 AM
I hope the Pier goes ahead as I shall have somewhere to moor my River Launch on Match days.

:005:

And Millwall fans arriving like Viking raiders is another image that comes to mind

jarv

Deeping beat me to it. The rowing clubs will be up in arms. There are a few of them.

Jim©

Quote from: jarv on July 23, 2021, 11:07:56 AM
Deeping beat me to it. The rowing clubs will be up in arms. There are a few of them.

It was the sailing clubs that really objected, not the rowing clubs. However, it would alter the line taken for the Boat Race, hence could be thrown out purely on that!

Holders

Does it need to be a pier, can't it just be a quay if need be? Depends on water depth and nature of traffic of course,
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

finknottle

Quote from: Jim© on July 23, 2021, 11:16:44 AM

It was the sailing clubs that really objected, not the rowing clubs. However, it would alter the line taken for the Boat Race, hence could be thrown out purely on that!

I don't think it will. I've rowed on the course and we were told to avoid the temptation of cutting the corner and getting too close to CC as the water is so shallow in that area.

Jim©

Quote from: finknottle on July 23, 2021, 11:52:13 AM
Quote from: Jim© on July 23, 2021, 11:16:44 AM

I don't think it will. I've rowed on the course and we were told to avoid the temptation of cutting the corner and getting too close to CC as the water is so shallow in that area.

Have a look at the line into headwind there or choppy waters, 100% that corner gets cut. The water is no less shallow there than many places along that stretch.

filham

Looking forward now to getting a boat from Shepperton direct to the Cottage, may be a long way off but I can dream.

bobby01

Quote from: Statto on July 23, 2021, 10:26:16 AM

:plus one:
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Southcoastffc

The ticketing and event space looks a little precarious.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Why don't we go the whole hog and apply for a Harbour.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

Fabulous idea if we can get it past the objectors.
Normally park on South side of river so it would be an absolute treat to travel by boat, even it was only one stop!!
Can only imagine how beautiful it would look and how delighted our footballing neighbours would be to see the The Oldest Professional club in London surging into the future.  049:gif
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Bill2

Sounds like a fantastic idea and will be an asset on match days allowing crowda to get to the ground easier.

Somerset Fulham

I'm wondering what angle our resident anti Khan conspiracy theorist is going to use to shoehorn this into his plot. :005:

Twig

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on July 23, 2021, 01:08:01 PM
I'm wondering what angle our resident anti Khan conspiracy theorist is going to use to shoehorn this into his plot. :005:

If you are talking about Shad Khan then I'm genuinely not aware of any "anti Khan conspiracy theorist". Who am I missing?

Deeping_white

Quote from: Twig on July 23, 2021, 02:45:57 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on July 23, 2021, 01:08:01 PM

If you are talking about Shad Khan then I'm genuinely not aware of any "anti Khan conspiracy theorist". Who am I missing?

There's one particular poster who keeps raving that firstly we were being asset stripped by Shad Khan, then he was going to sell up CC and move us into Wembley, then it was the Riverside stand was never going to happen and he was just humouring us with all these grand plans, and finally once we started work it on it, it was only to make us more attractive to sell.

HamsterWheel

Sadly I don't think our owner's rowing boat will be able to get as far as the pier....
https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php?topic=23029.0
Guess he'll be arriving by jetski.