watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR. Summer or Winter Olympics

Started by grandad, July 25, 2021, 02:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Personally I prefer the Winter Olympics. I enjoy the Downhill, Slalom, the Hill jumping, Ice Hockey, All forms of skating & of sourse the Tobogan Luge & Skeleton events.
I get a bit bored in the Summer Olympics with the Track & Field , Gymnastics, Weight lifting & a host of other minority sports.
Where there's a will there's a wife

rebel

Me thinks your a big 'Curling' fan.

deadcowboys

These days I find both Olympics tedious due to explosion of events that have no place there like tennis, football, skateboarding now for heaven's sake.

Would prefer for it to revert to the original Greek events, held every 4 years in Greece. The Winter games can be nomadic if it wishes.

Lighthouse

Used to love them both. But now we have tennis and golf and high wire trapeze and tiddlywinks and skate boarding tricks it all becomes a bit big and dull in the Summer Olympics. I have hardly tuned in this year due to the lack of crowd and a chance to see the Japanese fans.

Winter Olympics with the silly tricks snow boarding leaves me cold (see what I did there). Oh for the days when Olympics meant something more than commercial success.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sunburywhite

Plus my chemist is better than your chemist
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

bog

The Judo always reminds me of me and my wife vying for the TV remote every evening.  :022:

092.gif

Twig

Tend to agree that the whole Olympic movement is bloated with silly events. I also worry about rampant corruption, white elephant stadia and the fact that most games over the past 30yrs have been shown to have failed to generate a positive impact on city or country GDP.

I love to see athletes reaching the pinnacle of their endeavours but I think the whole IOC needs scrapping and a fresh start.

David Allen Crankshaw

There are now too many silly events being introduced. With skateboarding being part of the so-called sports and shown on the telly I'm almost lost for words.

grandad

Quote from: rebel on July 25, 2021, 02:22:07 PM
Me thinks your a big 'Curling' fan.
Yes being a bowls player I can appreciate the technical skill.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bog

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on July 25, 2021, 03:43:18 PM
There are now too many silly events being introduced. With skateboarding being part of the so-called sports and shown on the telly I'm almost lost for words.

Poll dancing is to be included...I kid you not.  :022:

092.gif

sunburywhite

Quote from: bog on July 25, 2021, 04:15:09 PM

092.gif

Thats unfair if only the Poles can enter it

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

filham

I can just about remember the 1948 games in London with all athletes based in small cabins in Richmond Park who were pure amateurs
The Olympics have got too big, commercial, show bizzy  and professional.
I Will become interested when we get down to the basic athletics , particularly the middle distance races where in the good old days we used to have strong competitors.

Lighthouse

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 25, 2021, 04:48:04 PM

092.gif

I am sorry but this is the sort of thing I should be posting.

sunburywhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 25, 2021, 05:55:24 PM

092.gif

Its like Maurice dancing

What if you arent called Maurice?

Lighthouse

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 25, 2021, 06:00:18 PM

092.gif

Its like Maurice dancing

A common misconception. The dance is named after The Morris Minor when car workers would dance around a completed car and May Pole (ironically another Pole) would stand in the middle waving a hanky as the car came off the assembly line.

sunburywhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 25, 2021, 06:11:58 PM

092.gif

Its like Maurice dancing

A common misconception. The dance is named after The Morris Minor when car workers would dance around a completed car and May Pole (ironically another Pole) would stand in the middle waving a hanky as the car came off the assembly line.

Were the workers Travellers or under age Minors?

What id your name is Austin or an Imp who is a man and lives on a hill

rebel

This is what the Olympics is all about - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-2020-crd-anna/cycling-maths-teacher-kiesenhofer-schools-dutch-masters-idUSKBN2EV0DE

The Dutch riders (working as a team) thought they had over taken her. She was ahead almost throughout.

RaySmith

Quote from: rebel on July 25, 2021, 06:38:50 PM
This is what the Olympics is all about - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-2020-crd-anna/cycling-maths-teacher-kiesenhofer-schools-dutch-masters-idUSKBN2EV0DE

The Dutch riders (working as a team) thought they had over taken her. She was ahead almost throughout.

That was a fantastic ride, and really exciting, after the  boring men's road race yesterday, most watchers willing her to hold out, and by an amateur too - in the true Olympic sporting spirit, so unusual in these times.

Holders

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 25, 2021, 06:14:14 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on July 25, 2021, 06:11:58 PM

092.gif

Its like Maurice dancing

Were the workers Travellers or under age Minors?

What id your name is Austin or an Imp who is a man and lives on a hill

That's like all firemen being called Dennis.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

_Putney_

Personally I feel the summer olympics is much better as the winter olympics is god awful in every single possible way