watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 30/07/21...

Started by WhiteJC, July 30, 2021, 12:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham make new bid to sign Brazilian striker – Competition against Middlesbrough could have an ending this week

Championship side Fulham have made a new attempt for the signing of Flamengo striker Rodrigo Muniz, according to reports from Brazil.

UOL says the Whites have now put on the table a bid for a one-year loan spell plus an obligatory buying clause.

The outlet claims the signing is an 'exclusive request' from manager Marco Silva, who was 'delighted' with the recent performances from the player.

The Brazilian media had already reported that Fulham had made a first effort to sign Muniz. At that time, it was said the Craven Cottage side had offered €1m for the loan, plus a buying option of €9m. Now, however, the figures aren't detailed.

Earlier this week, UOL had also reported that Middlesbrough held a meeting with Flamengo in Lisbon. So now they say there are two English sides battling for the signing, with his agent looking to define the player's future.

Saudi side Al Nasr had also been interested in Muniz and even made an offer for his signing, but the report now says the negotiations didn't advance, so it sounds likely that the striker will end up moving to the Championship.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-make-new-bid-sign-brazilian-striker-competition-middlesbrough-ending-week/

WhiteJC

Fulham submit offer for key transfer target with Middlesbrough set to miss out on deal

Fulham have made an offer to Flamengo to sign forward Rodrigo Muniz on a permanent deal this summer as they aim to wrap up a deal for him, according to Brazilian outlet O Dia.

It had been reported by O Dia that Fulham had made an offer to Flamengo that would have seen them pay a loan fee to the Brazilian side for Muniz with a permanent purchase option also included in the deal.

However, it was believed that had been turned down with the Brazilian side not willing to allow him to leave on loan and only wanting a permanent exit for the 20-year-old.

There have also been reports that Middlesbrough have entered the race for Muniz's signature this summer and it was thought that Neil Warnock's side were leading the race for the forward.

The latest report from O Dia though reveals that Fulham have now submitted an offer of around €6 million (£5.1 million) with €2 million (£1.7 million) more to come in instalments.

It is also believed that Muniz favours a move to Craven Cottage ahead of Middlesbrough with the project that has been outlined by Marco Silva's side seen as more attractive to the 20-year-old.

The verdict

This is a real positive for Fulham and shows that they are willing to back Silva in the transfer market because this transfer pursuit of Muniz has been one that their new manager is believed to have been strongly behind.

The 20-year-old would be an excellent potential addition to make to the squad and having developed Richarlison in English football, the Portuguese coach would be ideal for him.

You can understand why the 20-year-old might have been favouring a move to Fulham over Middlesbrough with Silva's side looking better placed to mount a promotion challenge next term at this stage.

While Silva is a coach that has a good reputation for working with players like Muniz and getting the best out of them on a consistent basis.

It seems like Fulham might now be able to complete a deal for Muniz if this latest offer is accepted by Flamengo. Should they be able to secure the 20-year-old's signature then it would be a good sign that they are serious about providing Silva with the support he needs in the transfer market.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-submit-offer-for-key-transfer-target-with-middlesbrough-set-to-miss-out-on-deal/

WhiteJC

Alan Tate clarifies Swansea City's position on Matt Grimes as Fulham and Watford circle

Swansea City's caretaker manager Alan Tate has insisted that Matt Grimes' absence from the Swans' pre-season friendly against Forest Green Rovers was due to injury and not transfer-related.

Grimes' future at the Liberty Stadium is in doubt this summer and it had been reported by the Daily Mail that Fulham were closing in on a potential move for the midfielder.

That came after previous reports had suggested that both Fulham and Bournemouth were set to compete for the midfielder's signature this summer.

While both Newcastle United and Southampton have also been linked with a potential move for Grimes as well.

Football Insider have now reported that both Watford and Brighton have entered the race for Grimes' signature as well this summer. However, Wales Online have revealed that at this point in the window there has been no concrete offers for the midfielder.

Speaking to Wales Online, Tate insisted that Grimes' absence from the Swans' pre-season friendly against Forest Green on Wednesday was down to just an injury issue. While he also stated that Swansea plan for him to be available for their opening match of the new campaign.

He said: "He's had a knock. He was left out of the game tonight through precaution.

"Nothing other than that. He's in contention to play at Blackburn.

"I think he'll be back in training with us, if not tomorrow, hopefully Friday.

"At the minute, the plan is for Grimesy to be, hopefully involved in the Southampton game. If not, it looks like he could be involved in the Blackburn game. We're definitely planning at the minute to have him involved in the Blackburn game."

The verdict

This update offers some hope for Swansea and suggests that Grimes' departure from the club might not yet be as certain to happen as has been reported recently.

Having been left out of the pre-season friendly against Forest Green, it was always likely that there was going to be speculation that he could be set for an imminent exit from the Liberty Stadium.

However, it now seems that the midfielder is going to be able to potentially be involved in their next pre-season friendly or even their opening match of the new Championship season. That is not something that would likely to happen if a move for Grimes was going to be imminent.

The midfielder's future still seems to be away from Swansea this summer and they need to sort out a resolution to that either way as soon as possible because it is a major distraction for them heading into the new campaign.

Tate though seems to think that there will not be anything resolved in the immediate future at this stage.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/alan-tate-clarifies-swansea-citys-position-on-matt-grimes-as-fulham-and-watford-circle/

WhiteJC

Fulham dealt Matt Grimes transfer blow

Fulham have been dealt a blow in their bid to bring Matt Grimes to Craven Cottage this summer.

What's the talk?

That's according to a report by Football Insider, who claim that both Watford and Brighton & Hove Albion have joined the race to sign the Swansea City midfielder ahead of the new season.

It was previously reported that Fulham looked close to securing a deal for the 25-year-old, with a medical at Craven Cottage having been scheduled for this week.

It is also claimed that Southampton and Newcastle United are thought to be keeping a close eye on the situation of the former England U21 international, who would be available to sign for as little as £1.5m due to having just one year remaining on his contract at the Liberty Stadium.

Silva will be gutted

Considering just how close Tony Khan appeared to be to securing the signing of Grimes this summer, should the midfielder eventually go on to seal a move elsewhere, it would undoubtedly leave Marco Silva gutted.

The 25-year-old has played a key role in Swansea City's Championship success in recent years, and would have made a fantastic addition to the Portuguese manager's options in the middle of the park next season.

Indeed, over his 45 Championship appearances for the Swans last term, the £6.3m-rated man scored two goals, registered three assists and created three big chances for his teammates, as well as taking an average of one shot and making 0.8 key passes per game.

The £10k-per-week midfielder also made an average of 1.5 interceptions, 2.1 tackles, 1.3 clearances and won 5.3 duels in each league appearance.

These metrics saw the man Steve Cooper dubbed an "excellent" player earn an average SofaScore match rating of 7.04, ranking him as the club's fifth-best performer in the English second tier.

As such, with Grimes demonstrating that he is something of a complete midfielder, his signing would have given Silva a huge boost to his chances of going on to secure an immediate return to the Premier League with Fulham next season.

However, with Watford and Brighton now sniffing around the 25-year-old, Grimes may well be playing Premier League football a lot sooner than the Cottagers.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-transfer-rumours/fulham-transfer-news-matt-grimes-marco-silva-tony-khan-swansea-city-watford-brighton-the-championship

WhiteJC

Details of Fulham's new bid for striker revealed – Player wants move to Craven Cottage, 'more attractive' project

On Wednesday, reports from Brazil claimed that Fulham submitted a second bid for Flamengo striker Rodrigo Muniz.

The story, which first came from UOL, didn't detail the amount offered by the Cottagers, despite claiming that the signing was an 'exclusive request' from manager Marco Silva.

Now as outlet O Dia comes up to confirm the bid, they also show the numbers on the table.

Their report recalls that Fulham first tried a loan with an option to buy, and Flamengo made it clear they wanted a permanent solution, so the Cottagers accepted that condition and offered an amount of €6m up front plus €2m in a second instalment, letting the Rio de Janeiro side keep 20% of a future sale.

O Dia says Fulham are now 'the favourites' to land the striker as the situation 'has been moving' in the past hours.

Flamengo officials Bruno Spindel and Marcos Braz are in Lisbon sorting the situation, and currently wait for the official papers, signed by the owner of the Championship side, who's currently in 'a country with different time zone'.

The report points out that Middlesbrough also made offers for the signing, and Flamengo even liked the bid made by them.

However, Muniz and his representatives understood that Fulham's project 'is more attractive', especially with the call that the agents had from Marco Silva.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/details-fulhams-new-bid-striker-revealed-player-wants-move-craven-cottage-attractive-project/

WhiteJC

Silva: Mitrovic is Fulham's 'key' man

New Fulham head coach Marco Silva has told his first press conference that Aleksandar Mitrovic will be the club's 'key player' as he targets an immediate return to the top flight.

The Serbian striker had been linked with a move away from Craven Cottage this summer after only starting eleven Premier League games under Scott Parker last season, but the Portuguese boss has wasted little time in emphasising just how important Fulham's number nine is to his plans for promotion.

Silva said: "I think for all our football club and for the fans Mitro is a key player for us. Last season was not the best season for him, we know that and he knows that but we are here to support him and help him score important. I know his quality, I was really happy to work with him before I started. I tried to work with him twice before – he will be a key player for us".

The former Everton and Watford manager said it was an 'easy decision' to accept Fulham's approach to succeed Parker.

"I'm really happy to be back in England. It's been a target to come back. To be honest it was an easy decision, I was close to joining a different club but I really appreciated the interest the club showed in ourselves, from [chief executive] Alastair [Mackintosh] and then [director of football] Tony [Khan] and [owner] Mr [Shahid] Khan was very important for us. Of course Fulham is a club with a big story and we want to be part of this project."

Silva underlined the importance of former Fulham favourite Luis Boa Morte, who returned to Motspur Park this week, as his right hand man.

"I've known Luis since he was fourteen years old. We are friends for nineteen years. He joined me at Everton and now at Fulham. He is so important. He knows Fulham so well, he has a big history here."

Silva confirmed that new signing Paulo Gazzaniga will provide 'competition' for Marek Rodak in goal and Welsh winger Harry Wilson, who arrives from Liverpool, will offer 'creativity'. He is keen to make further additions before the start of the Championship campaign.

"I'm here working with the football club to get our squad stronger, this is the main thing for me, I know what I want from the football club. Now I will finish the third week working with them. We don't finish, for sure we don't finish. We are working with the club. When the market is open anything can happen."

The Fulham boss has already made promotion his target, but knows just how competitive the Championship will be.

"It's a clear aim for us. Not just us, there are five six clubs. The competition will be tough. But it's our target. We have to compete and show that in every matchday. We have to show and make our fans feels we are giving 100 per cent in football matches. After that, good things, will come."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/silva-mitrovic-is-fulhams-key-man/

WhiteJC

Bryan 'can't wait' for Cottage return

Fulham full back Joe Bryan 'can't wait' to play in front of the Craven Cottage faithful again as the Whites end their pre-season programme against Charlton Athletic on Saturday.

The likeable left back told Fulham FC TV this afternoon that he is hoping Marco Silva's side can put on a good show in their last warm-up ahead of the new Championship campaign.

"I can't wait. It's been a long time. I know we had them there a couple of times last year, but it didn't feel like a proper, full capacity and that sort of stuff so it will be nice to see everyone with a smile on their face, nice weather and we'll have fun. They're obviously a tough outfit, they'll be looking to get the best result possible and to play against an English team with that mentality that we'll be up against a lot this season is the best way to finish off our pre-season."

Bryan believes Fulham are heading into the last few days of pre-season in good shape after adjusting to Silva's methods effectively following the Portuguese head coach's arrival as Scott Parker's successor.

"Training's been good. Lots of tactics eleven v eleven and shape and learning how the new management want us to play. It's been fun. Every pre season is hard work. It's been hard. You have to get fit. You have four or five weeks off, you lose match fitness and concentration and we've been trying to build that back up. One more game this weekend and we'll be ready to kick it off against Middlesbrough.

"It's been really fun. I've enjoyed the new ways of training – I think it is a nice change. There's new things to try and learn and implement on the pitch. Structure and fast attacking. Hopefully, that's what we can bring back to the Cottage this season."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/bryan-cant-wait-for-cottage-return/

WhiteJC

Mitrovic a 'key player' for Fulham but needs support – Silva

Aleksandar Mitrovic needs "support" to get the Fulham striker back to goalscoring form, says boss Marco Silva.

Mitrovic had a poor 2020-21 that saw him net just three times in the Premier League as the Whites went down.

It was in stark contrast to the previous season, when he won the Championship Golden Boot with 26 goals.

There has been speculation that he could leave Craven Cottage this summer.

But his new boss has made it plain he believes Mitrovic is going to be vital to the cause as Fulham look to return to the top flight.

Silva said: "I think for all, for me as a manager for our football club and the fans, Mitro is a key player for us.

"He already showed that in the past, in the Championship, he has proved that as well in the Premier League.

"Last season was not the best season for him. He knows that and I know as well, but we are here to support him, to give the conditions for him to score goals – and important goals and to win football matches."

And former Hull, Everton and Watford boss Silva revealed he twice tried in vain to sign Mitrovic.

Silva said:  "I know his quality. I was really close to working with him before I joined Fulham, twice, and now I'm working with him.

"His work-rate and his motivation to be with us – he will be a key player for us for sure."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/mitrovic-a-key-player-for-fulham-but-needs-support-silva

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic's Fulham future becomes clearer following Dynamo Moscow and Roma transfer interest

New Fulham head coach Marco Silva has confirmed that Aleksandar Mitrovic is a key part of his plans for the 2021-22 season despite the Serb attracting transfer interest this summer.

The 26-year-old was thought to be a transfer target for Jose Mourinho's new side AS Roma earlier on in the window, and whilst no bid has come from the Italian capital for Mitrovic's services, one did come from further east in Europe.

Russian side Dynamo Moscow tabled a £16 million bid for the striker which was knocked back, and The Athletic reported at the same time in June that Mitrovic wants to depart the club regardless of whether or not Scott Parker remained or departed.

As we now know he left for Bournemouth, and that may have changed Mitrovic's stance behind the scenes as Parker did not use him as a regular starter for much of the 2020-21 Premier League campaign.

Mitrovic's Championship record for the Cottagers stands at 38 goals in 57 games and Silva sees him as his main man going forward.

"I think for all our football club and for the fans Mitro is a key player for us," Silva said, per West London Sport.

"Last season was not the best season for him, we know that and he knows that but we are here to support him and help him score important.

"I know his quality, I was really happy to work with him before I started. I tried to work with him twice before – he will be a key player for us."

The Verdict

The chances of Mitrovic staying at Craven Cottage will have surely increased when Parker departed earlier this summer, and from the sounds that Silva is providing it does seem as though the Serbian forward will remain at the club.

Obviously last season did not go to plan for both the player and the club, and we know that Mitrovic can do it at the top level having scored 11 times for Fulham in the 2018-19 season, so if a Premier League or top flight club from abroad made a significant bid for him it would be no surprise.

More and more Championship teams are keeping their best players though when they get relegated – the likes of Emi Buendia, Max Aarons, Ismaila Sarr and David Brooks all starred in the second tier last season and Mitrovic could have a similar impact this coming campaign and it looks as though Silva has the utmost confidence in him getting his head down.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aleksandar-mitrovics-fulham-future-becomes-clearer-following-dynamo-moscow-and-roma-transfer-interest/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva: New Fulham boss admits he was close to taking another job before approach from Championship club

Marco Silva is successor to Scott Parker who left Fulham to take over at Bournemouth; Silva on joining Fulham's project: "To be honest, it was an easy decision. I was close to joining a different club in a different country"

Marco Silva admitted he was on the cusp of joining another club in a different country when Fulham approached him with an offer.

The former Hull, Watford and Everton boss signed a three-year contract with Fulham on July 1, taking over after Scott Parker had departed Craven Cottage to become Bournemouth manager.

The Portuguese had options on the table from elsewhere but said he was left with an "easy" decision to make when the Cottagers made their interest known.

"Firstly, I'm very happy to be back in England of course, this was my aim for me to come back," Silva said.

"After the approach of Fulham Football Club, I decided that it was the right time to come back and to join this project.

"Of course, I'm really happy. The approach of the club was really assertive and they showed me a good project, they showed a big interest in ourselves as well as a technical staff and we are really happy to be here."

Fulham were relegated last season after one season back in the Premier League, while Silva has been out of work since being sacked by Everton in December 2019.

"To be honest, it was an easy decision. I was close to joining a different club in a different country as well but I really appreciated the interest the club showed in ourselves, (which) was really important," the 44-year-old said.

"First from Alistair (Mackintosh, chief executive officer) and after from Tony (Khan, vice-chairman) and Mr Khan (Shahid Khan, owner) was very important for us, they welcomed us really well, they showed the project, they showed trust in ourselves.

"Of course, Fulham is a club with a big story and we want to be part of this project and come back to England as well."

Silva has already made two signings since taking the reins, bringing in midfielder Harry Wilson from Liverpool and former Tottenham goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga, but the new manager said his dealings in the transfer window are not over.

"We don't finish, for sure we don't finish," Silva said.

"We are working with the club, we are working with the players. The players that we have here will be the most important, we have good players, will be the most important.

"But when the market is open anything can happen, we have to be ready of course. I would like to strengthen the squad, we have made the two signings and we are looking to do more.

"Again they would have to be players to come and really strengthen our squad and to get us stronger, just signing for signing we are not doing it this way. Players who come in they have to really help us to be a better squad."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/12367395/marco-silva-new-fulham-boss-admits-he-was-close-to-taking-another-job-before-approach-from-championship-club

WhiteJC

Silva close to taking job abroad before signing with Fulham

Marco Silva admitted he was on the cusp of joining another club in a different country when Fulham approached him with an offer.

The former Hull, Watford and Everton boss signed a three-year contract with Fulham on July 1, taking over after Scott Parker had departed Craven Cottage to become Bournemouth manager.

The Portuguese had options on the table from elsewhere but said he was left with an "easy" decision to make when the Cottagers made their interest known.

"Firstly I'm very happy to be back in England of course, this was my aim for me to come back," Silva said.

"After the approach of Fulham football club I decided that it was the right time to come back and to join this project.

"Of course, I'm really happy. The approach of the club was really assertive and they showed me a good project, they showed a big interest in ourselves as well as a technical staff and we are really happy to be here."

Fulham were relegated last season after one season back in the Premier League, while Silva has been out of work since being sacked by Everton in December 2019.

"To be honest it was an easy decision. I was close to joining a different club in a different country as well but I really appreciated the interest the club showed in ourselves, (which) was really important," the 44-year-old said.

"First from Alistair (Mackintosh, chief executive officer) and after from Tony (Khan, vice-chairman) and Mr Khan (Shahid Khan, owner) was very important for us, they welcomed us really well, they showed the project, they showed trust in ourselves.

"Of course Fulham is a club with a big story and we want to be part of this project and come back to England as well and of course it was an easy decision to be honest."

Silva has already made two signings since taking the reins, bringing in midfielder Harry Wilson from Liverpool and former Tottenham goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga, but the new manager said his dealings in the transfer window are not over.

"We don't finish, for sure we don't finish," Silva said.

"We are working with the club, we are working with the players. The players that we have here will be the most important, we have good players, will be the most important.

"But when the market is open anything can happen, we have to be ready of course. I would like to strengthen the squad, we have made the two signings and we are looking to do more.

"Again they would have to be players to come and really strengthen our squad and to get us stronger, just signing for signing we are not doing it this way. Players who come in they have to really help us to be a better squad."

https://www.football365.com/news/silva-close-to-taking-job-abroad-before-signing-with-fulham

WhiteJC

Report: £5m man chooses Fulham over Middlesbrough; agrees deal with Silva's side

Fulham are closing in on the signing of Flamengo striker Rodrigo Muniz according to O Dia, with the Championship outfit now offering £5 million up front.

The Marco Silva reign is certainly underway now, with Liverpool winger Harry Wilson and former Tottenham goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga arriving on Saturday in a welcome boost to a squad already expected to challenge for automatic promotion next season. 

And a deal for Silva's number one transfer target also appears to be heading in the right direction.

Reports coming out of Brazil last week claimed that the former Everton and Watford manager had identified 20-year-old Muniz as his top choice to lead the line at Craven Cottage in 2020/21. 

Apparently, Silva sees shades of Richarlison in a man who has also been the subject of enquiries from Al-Nassr, Genk and Diego Simeone's La Liga champions Atletico Madrid.

Fulham, however, only wanted to sign Muniz on loan, albeit while including a £9 million option-to-buy clause in the deal.

And Flamengo wasted little time in making their stance clear; either you pay now or risk missing out on a player who has no shortage of suitors elsewhere in Europe.

Has Flamengo striker Rodrigo Muniz chosen the right Championship club?

It seems that Silva and co have heeded that warning, returning with a far more palatable bid for a man who has scored three times in nine Brazilian Serie A matches so far this season.

Fulham have now offered £5 million, plus add-ons. It is understood that Muniz has also agreed a five-year contract at Craven Cottage, turning down Middlesbrough in favour of a move to the English capital.

And Fulham will have Silva to thank if Muniz is making his Championship debut in white and black during their Championship opener against – ironically enough – Middlesbrough on August 8.

The one-time Porto and Olympiakos coach went so far as to call Muniz's representatives, expressing his desire to work with the highly-rated centre-forward at his new club.

And that personal touch has had the desired effect, it seems.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/07/29/report-5m-man-chooses-fulham-over-middlesbrough-agrees-deal-with-silvas-side/

WhiteJC

Have Fulham found depth in defence?

On the eve of the new season, Marco Silva is carefully evaluating the squad he has been bequeathed down at Motspur Park. He has spoken this afternoon of his desire to strengthen his squad further still in advance of the opening fixture against Middlesbrough on Sunday, but there still plenty of imponderables as we try to second guess the Portuguese head coach's preferred starting eleven. With so much of pre-season held behind closed doors, the fans are still in the dark as to Silva's top pairings throughout the side – especially at centre back.

Every successful side has a strong spine and that usually starts from the heart of the defence. Fulham are currently blessed with a surfeit of centre backs and almost all of them have significant Championship experience. American Tim Ream now probably fits snugly into the stalwart category, having made 213 appearances for Fulham, and although the veteran didn't have the best of times in the top flight, he shone in Slavisa Jokanovic's promotion season and has never let the Whites down in the second tier. Ream has racked up 260 Championship appearances and knows what he takes to thrive in one of the most competitive divisions around.

Given how impressively he began life at Craven Cottage, the fact that Tosin Adarabioyo remains at Craven Cottage – with no Premier League side seeing fit to trigger his £10m release clause this summer – seems like a real bonus. Adarabioyo honed his raw talent in the Championship, making 63 appearances in strong loan spells with West Bromwich Albion and Blackburn Rovers, which fuelled his desire for first-team football. A physically strong defender with an eye for a pass, Adarabioyo's level might have dipped in the final weeks of the season – with a couple of costly mistakes creeping in – but you would expect the Fulham back four to be built around his immense talent.

Michael Hector had an almost as encouraging opening to his Fulham career after making the short move from Stamford Bridge last summer – and enduring a lengthy wait to pull on the white shirt. He stepped into a shaky back line as if he'd been playing there for years, immediately providing solidity and a physical presence that Scott Parker's side had been sorely missing. But the mystifying collapse that came after the Whites went up left the man cheekily dubbed 'Virgil van Mike' looking completely clueless. His shakiness in a possession mirrored that of a schoolboy rather than the confident defender that had bossed games at the lower level and he was twice caught alarmingly out of position at Leeds before that shocking display at Brentford. There is a clearly good player there – as evidenced by that remarkable saving tackle at Cardiff in the play-off semi-final – and if Hector, who has 173 Championship appearances to his name and is fresh from helping Jamaica reach the quarter finals of the Gold Cup, can recapture the form of his early weeks at Fulham then he might be able to force his way into Silva's plans.

We've still not really seen enough of Terence Kongolo to make an accurate assessment of his ability. The Dutch defender made one magnificent tackle during an otherwise unforgettable FA Cup defeat at Manchester City and promptly injured himself as the Whites were clinging to a narrow lead at Blackburn. Bringing him back on a permanent basis was clearly predicated on his strong displays at Huddersfield, but keeping him fit will be Marco Silva's biggest challenge. Kongolo has now resumed full training and, if he can show the pedigree that saw him shine for AK Almaar and become part of the Dutch squad that finished third in the 2014 World Cup, then you wouldn't bet against him muscling his way back in.

The other injury prone centre back on the staff at Fulham is Alfie Mawson, whose £20m capture in the summer of 2018 looked like good business after his eye-catching displays with Swansea had lifted him to the cusp of an England call-up. We all know that Mawson never really got a run in the side and has endured horrendous luck with injuries, which only continued when he badly injured his knee shortly after being handed the captaincy during a strong start to his loan spell at Bristol City last season. Mawson's ability has never been in doubt and the ball-playing centre half seems to have shed some timber in a bid to impress Silva but it will all rest upon whether he can remain consistently available for selection.

Beyond those four, Silva still has options should he need them. The versatile Denis Odoi will always have his own place in Fulham folklore for any number of reasons – that ridiculous backflick against Newcastle on debut, his majestic header against Derby and the dancing on the crossbar at Wembley after promotion had been secured against Aston Villa – but it is difficult to see the Belgian getting a great deal of game time, given that Fulham also have three right backs competing against him in his other favoured position. Maxime Le Marchand has also been linked with a move away this summer, with the Frenchman's catchy song certainly exceeding his footballing ability. Jerome Opoku, who will turn 23 by the end of the season, is poised to move to Denmark on loan – which suggests he is unlikely to figure in Silva's long-term plans.

The new boss could conceivably want to introduce his own centre half into the club, but it probably wouldn't be the most effective use of scant FFP headroom at this point. Plenty of Championship managers would kill for the sort of depth Fulham currently possess at centre back – the key will now be moulding a partnership to withstand the rigours of England's second tier. Silva has been characterised as an offensive manager, but he spoke this afternoon of how much he likes a clean sheet. Solid defences win championships – and Fulham appear well stocked in that department.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/have-fulham-found-depth-in-defence/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney still not back in full training for Fulham – playmaker set to miss start of Championship season

Fulham head coach Marco Silva has revealed that Tom Cairney is still not ready to be in full training.

The 30-year-old playmaker made just 11 appearances for the Whites last season due to ongoing knee issues.

Cairney last featured in a 1-1 draw at Newcastle on December 19.

And Silva's update suggests that the midfielder will not be available when the Championship campaign kicks off on August 7.

Silva said: "Tom, in this moment, is not fit yet. We are working with him to get him, as soon as we can, fully fit and in condition to show his quality.

"He is a key player for us, a really important player for us. He will be a key player for me, for sure, and Fulham Football Club. It's up to us to get him in better condition as soon as possible because he is really important on the pitch and off it."

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/tom-cairney-still-not-back-in-full-training-for-fulham-playmaker-set-to-miss-start-of-championship-season/

WhiteJC

Cairney and Kongolo to miss start of season

Fulham duo Tom Cairney and Terence Kongolo have been ruled out of the start of the new campaign.

Neither have recovered from injuries suffered last season.

A persistent knee problem has plagued Whites captain Cairney since last summer.

Defender Kongolo also suffered a knee injury, in a tackle involving Wolves' Adama Traore in early April.

The Netherlands international joined Fulham on a permanent deal a year ago but has played just one full game since.

"We hope he (Kongolo) will be ready soon," said boss Marco Silva.

"But it's not an easy thing, and over the next few weeks we have to see how he can be.

"Tom at this moment is not fully fit yet. We are working with him to get him as soon as we can fully fit and in condition to show his quality."

Silva believes a fully fit Cairney bossing Championship midfields, as he did in 2019-20, would make a huge difference.

The Portuguese said: "He is a key player for us, very important in the last promotion, and of course he is really important for me – a key player for me for sure.

"Now it is up to us to get him back in condition as soon as possible in a really important zone of the pitch."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-fulham-boss-gives-updates-on-cairney-and-kongolo-and-its-not-great-news

WhiteJC

Marco Silva won't rule out Fulham departures as new coach must lean on first job for inspiration

The 44-year-old may have mentioned his Champions League pedigree more than once in introductory press conference but spell at Estoril is more relevant as Cottagers seek to bounce back from relegation

Marco Silva referred to his experience as a Champions League head coach three times in the opening nine minutes of his introductory press conference at Fulham this afternoon but it is his first job in management, at Portuguese club Estoril a decade ago, that is perhaps more pertinent to the 44-year-old's latest challenge of leading the West London club out of the Championship at the first opportunity.

Marco Silva referred to his experience as a Champions League head coach three times in the opening nine minutes of his introductory press conference at Fulham this afternoon but it is his first job in management, at Portuguese club Estoril a decade ago, that is perhaps more pertinent to the 44-year-old's latest challenge of leading the West London club out of the Championship at the first opportunity.

Nineteen months after leaving Everton, Silva has a point to prove in his fourth role in English football. And while referring to his credentials in Europe's premier competition with Olympiacos evidently remains irresistible, winning promotion from Portugal's second tier in his first job in management is a more relevant reference point.

Silva made his name in coaching by leading Estoril out of Liga 2 in 2011/12 before leaving the club stable in the top tier over the next two seasons. From there he went on to their bigger neighbours Sporting Lisbon prior to guiding Olympiacos in the Champions League.

Mixed spells at Hull City and Watford, amid much fanfare, came next before his reign at Goodison Park started well prior to a dismal end, losing 5-2 to Liverpool on December with Everton 18th in the Premier League table in early December 2019.

Strengthening the squad before the transfer window shuts on August 31 remains a priority but Silva is not ruling out some big-name departures.

Attacking midfielder Harry Wilson has arrived from Liverpool for about £12m along with goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga from Tottenham on a free. The core of Fulham's team last season was made up of loan players but several permanent squad members, including young centre back Tosin Adarabioyo, have interest from Premier League teams.

"I'm really confident that we can keep our best players," Silva added. "We know all the players would prefer to be in the Premier League than the Championship.

"But we're here at Fulham football club. They want to be part of it, they have a desire to go back to the Premier League with Fulham but of course the market is open and you cannot say for 100% sure that this squad, these players, will be here until the end of the market.

"It's not something just in my hands. But for now there is not one sign that a player will leave the club. If you ask me in one week, two weeks or three weeks some things may change but for now I'm working with them to achieve what we want at the end of the season."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/marco-silva-wont-rule-out-21177720

WhiteJC

Fulham closing in on Muniz capture

Fulham are close to completing the signing of Brazilian striker Rodrigo Munez from Flamengo, according to reports this evening.

O Dia journalist Vene Casagrande reports that Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh made contact with the Flamengo board this afternoon to finalise the details of the transfer. The structure of the deal to bring the 20 year-old to Craven Cottage on a permanent basis appears to be an approximate £3.4m up front free followed by a second instalment of around £3.4m. Flamengo will also be entitled to around 20% of any future sale of the youngster. Mackintosh's intervention appears to have assured the Brazilian side's board – and the transfer could be completed as early as tomorrow.

The influence of new Fulham manager Marco Silva also appears pivotal in convincing Muniz to pick the London club ahead of Middlesbrough, who also submitted a bid to Flamengo for the forward. Muniz is understood to have been impressed that Silva telephoned the young striker personally to talk through his ideas for his progress at Fulham and suggesting that he could repeat the sort of progress Richarlison made in English football when Silva signed him for Watford.

Muniz, who broke into the Flamengo first team as they clinched the Brazilian title last year, is believed to have verbally agreed a five-year contract at Craven Cottage and would initially be an understudy to Aleksandar Mitrovic, whom Silva described as Fulham's 'key player' this afternoon in his first press conference as the club's head coach.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/fulham-closing-in-on-muniz-capture/

WhiteJC

Cairney and Kongolo to miss start of season

Marco Silva has revealed that Fulham will start the new Championship campaign without captain Tom Cairney and Terence Kongolo as the pair have yet to return to full training.

Scottish international Cairney has been managing a knee problem throughout pre-season which has limited his ability to impress Fulham's new manager at Motspur Park. The 30 year-old hasn't featured since Fulham's 1-1 draw with Newcastle last December and is some weeks away from a possible return.

Silva told the press this afternoon: "Tom, in this moment, is not fit yet. We are working with him to get him, as soon as we can, fully fit and in condition to show his quality. He is a key player for us, a really important player for us. He will be a key player for me, for sure, and Fulham Football Club. It's up to us to get him in better condition as soon as possible because he is really important on the pitch and off it."

Kongolo, who has endured two injury-plagued spells at Craven Cottage, was injured early in his return to the Fulham first team after coming off worse in a tackle with Wolves winger Adama Traore in April. The 27 year-old has made four appearances for Fulham and Silva knows he will need to be patient with the Dutch centre back. "We hope he'll be ready soon, but it's not an easy thing and over the next few weeks we have to see how he can be," he said.

Silva also reiterated that he believes Fulham should be able to retain the services of their key performers as they plan for an immediate return to the top flight. "I'm still really confident that we can keep our best players... as a manager you cannot say you are 100 per cent sure...(but) until now, I haven't seen one sign that someone will leave the club," he added.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/07/cairney-and-kongolo-to-miss-start-of-season/

Somerset Fulham

Has anybody ever actually spoken to one of these Wales/Birmingham/Anyothertown that ends 'online' outlets?

Because every single one of the articles that I have ever read by one of these 'online' shitrags are written by 10 year olds spamming their lack of ability over local Facebook pages for likes and clicks.

Granted this may be different in different regions but I would be very surprised if that was the case.

General

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on July 30, 2021, 12:38:23 AM
Has anybody ever actually spoken to one of these Wales/Birmingham/Anyothertown that ends 'online' outlets?

Because every single one of the articles that I have ever read by one of these 'online' shitrags are written by 10 year olds spamming their lack of ability over local Facebook pages for likes and clicks.

Granted this may be different in different regions but I would be very surprised if that was the case.

Yeah there's a lot of copy and paste attempts at journalism out there. I'd be fascinated to know who or what's behind them as I imagine they're just content mules to get advertising revenue. They're not very good are they/they aren't good.