watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matt Grimes

Started by JoeS, July 30, 2021, 09:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken 44

Jeeves great to have an opinion from somebody at the game I could not be there.
I take your point re Francois and do not understand why so many on here are
clamering for other players from outside our club when we already have just as
good or better at the club.

S.F.Sorrow

Francois and Carvalho were great against a League One side but we can't expect them to be regular starters. At least not yet. There's a huge step up from the U23s to the Championship. Don't forget what happened when Magath threw some of our promising youngsters into the starting 11 in the Championship.

JoeS

Few Swansea 'in the knows' seem to think Grimes to Fulham is defo happening this week

Finnans Right Peg

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on August 02, 2021, 10:31:37 AM
Francois and Carvalho were great against a League One side but we can't expect them to be regular starters. At least not yet. There's a huge step up from the U23s to the Championship. Don't forget what happened when Magath threw some of our promising youngsters into the starting 11 in the Championship.

But they will never make the step up if they do not get a chance ,the more players we bring in in their positions the less of a chance they get and the more likely that they say I'm not signing a new contract I'm off

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on August 02, 2021, 11:22:44 AM

But they will never make the step up if they do not get a chance ,the more players we bring in in their positions the less of a chance they get and the more likely that they say I'm not signing a new contract I'm off
~I'm neutral on this but in recent years how many who have said "I'm off" have made a significant mark elsewhere?  Hyndman? De La Torre? Patrick Roberts? L V Christensen? (Moussa Demberle MKII I suppose but he was from PSG before us)  Others?   H Elliott seems destined to but not yet.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

JimOG

Only watched first half so far but Francois was excellent ...apart from that we're trying to play some really good attacking football but looked worryingly toothless. I hope Muniz arrives - I would trade Knockaert and a few others for another striker

JEEVES

Quote from: Southcoastffc on August 02, 2021, 11:48:43 AM

~I'm neutral on this but in recent years how many who have said "I'm off" have made a significant mark elsewhere?  Hyndman? De La Torre? Patrick Roberts? L V Christensen? (Moussa Demberle MKII I suppose but he was from PSG before us)  Others?   H Elliott seems destined to but not yet.

Tankovic. I never really had that good a feeling about most of them. I liked Patrick Roberts but always thought he was a bit light weight. I was gutted to loose Moussa but we could still do with him now. With Carvalho I get more of an excited feeling like i did with Harvey Elliott and Ryan Sess.

Finnans Right Peg

Quote from: Southcoastffc on August 02, 2021, 11:48:43 AM

But as a club that loses money every year we can't continue to loose young players on a free just beacuse other young players haven't  made it yet ,we need to command a fee if we determine that they are now good .

If we continue to not give our young players a chance why would any half decent young player sign for us .

I'm not saying carv and francois should start everygame but they defo should be in and around the matchday squad and should get to play 15 to 20 matches this season

S.F.Sorrow

If they're good enough they will play but it must happen gradually without the pressure of being regular starters until they're ready. If they don't get a chance it simply means they're not good enough. Anything more than a 10-20 minutes from the bench seems a bit risky until they've adapted to the pressure of the Championship and first team football. But what do I know... I trust Silva and his coaching team to make the right decisions but I don't EXPECT Francois and Carvalho to be in the starting 11 against Middlesbrough unless we have injuries in those positions (which may very well be the case...).

b+w geezer

I think similarly to the last two posters. On the original topic of Grimes, am all for signing him as anticipated starter, but Francois looks up to being his bench replacement.  A reality check is to wonder which level of club would be seeking his services on loan if they were on offer -- League One only? Don't think so.

The most recent marker is Emerson Hyndman, whose technical standard got him to Bournemouth in the Prem, but then little gametime.  If Tyrese has in addition more competitive bite and running about him, as provisionally suspected, that could clinch it for him in career terms.  Too early to know and only this season matters for now. Something on the lines of 10+15 appearances could (I agree with those posting recently) serve both him and Fulham just right.

sunburywhite

Quote from: b+w geezer on August 02, 2021, 01:29:41 PM
I think similarly to the last two posters. On the original topic of Grimes, am all for signing him as anticipated starter, but Francois looks up to being his bench replacement.  A reality check is to wonder which level of club would be seeking his services on loan if they were on offer -- League One only? Don't think so.

The most recent marker is Emerson Hyndman, whose technical standard got him to Bournemouth in the Prem, but then little gametime.  If Tyrese has in addition more competitive bite and running about him, as provisionally suspected, that could clinch it for him in career terms.  Too early to know and only this season matters for now. Something on the lines of 10+15 appearances could (I agree with those posting recently) serve both him and Fulham just right.

Ah, the great Emerson Hyndman whose dazzling career shot up like a rocket when he considered himself too good for Fulham so joined Bounemouth who the loaned him to Rangers and Hibs and finally Atlanta where his market value has rocketed from 675k when he was with us to be now £1.35m
Schmuck
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

gang

The road to greatness, many are called but few are chosen.

b+w geezer

Quote from: sunburywhite on August 02, 2021, 01:38:35 PM

Ah, the great Emerson Hyndman whose ...market value has rocketed from 675k when he was with us to be now £1.35m
Schmuck

Yes, exactly. Still a pro footballer, which is something in the overall scheme of things, and would be up to coming off the bench for us this season, but nothing sensational is any longer expected (if it ever was). Thin dividing lines at his age then and Tyrese's now.

Blawarmy

Just ready this tweet from a possibly salty Swan.  Maybe SP asked for him before he left

Invalid Tweet ID?s=19

"Passes the ball sideways 90% of the time , im 51 and i could go on and do what he does. Average player , far better out there"

General

Quote from: Blawarmy on August 02, 2021, 05:11:18 PM
Just ready this tweet from a possibly salty Swan.  Maybe SP asked for him before he left

Invalid Tweet ID?s=19

"Passes the ball sideways 90% of the time , im 51 and i could go on and do what he does. Average player , far better out there"

He also has a suprisingly low pass completion %age which is very out of character for the type of football we've played and the player we usually buy.

General

Ah, the great Emerson Hyndman whose dazzling career shot up like a rocket when he considered himself too good for Fulham so joined Bounemouth who the loaned him to Rangers and Hibs and finally Atlanta where his market value has rocketed from 675k when he was with us to be now £1.35m
Schmuck

Hyndman seems to have done alright since leaving as is getting regular game time at Atlanta in the states, but then it is in the MLS, which is a retirement home for premier league players and even those who go to retire still make a decent impact there because the quality is so low.

Key contributors to the league have been Bradley Wright Phillips for example, the lesser able brother of Shaun Wright Phillips.

love4ffc

Quote from: General on August 02, 2021, 05:19:29 PM

Schmuck

Hyndman seems to have done alright since leaving as is getting regular game time at Atlanta in the states, but then it is in the MLS, which is a retirement home for premier league players and even those who go to retire still make a decent impact there because the quality is so low.

Off topic but - Hyndman was doing well at Atlanta in the MLS until the beginning of this season.  He suffured a torn ACL season ending injury at the beginning of the season and has no return date as of yet. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?