watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Motspur Park

Started by grandad, July 31, 2021, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

I used to run the 400 yards, yes it was yards in my day, for the Surrey Junior AAA. Is the running track still behind the changing rooms & office building? There were football, rugby & hockey pitches where the players now train. Lots of great memories at MP.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bill taylors apprentice

No.
The area inside the running track was has been used for matches ever since we moved in and over time the track was removed and that side of the building upgraded.
Now it is a barriered off main pitch with floodlights etc.

Chariots of fire filmed on the old track.

cmg

...the old CoF stand, with its bizarre sight-lines, is still in use.

There used to be a smashing bar at the back of that old stand.Presumably now gone.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Ronnief

I went to Fleetwood Secondary School in Chessington and the annual district sports was held at Motspur Park. I remember watching our team running around the track. Sadly I've never been a runner and did not take part there.  Shame they didn't have a swimming pool there as I liked swimming. Surbiton lagoon was my place to be as well as Kingston Baths. 092.gif

RaySmith

Quote from: Holders on August 01, 2021, 10:23:04 AM
It was 440, surely?

I believe it was - i used to run the 880 yards, which was half a mile, now the 800 metres.

The 440 was 1 lap of the track, and the 880 2, with the mile - 1,760 yards,  4 laps.

Frackleheath

I used to go to school in Kingston and we had our school sports at Motspur Park each year. If you participated it gave you a feeling of being something fairly special.

filham

Quote from: Frackleheath on August 01, 2021, 11:39:39 AM
I used to go to school in Kingston and we had our school sports at Motspur Park each year. If you participated it gave you a feeling of being something fairly special.
Quote from: RaySmith on August 01, 2021, 11:18:52 AM
It was 440, surely?

I believe it was - i used to run the 880 yards, which was half a mile, now the 800 metres.

The 440 was 1 lap of the track, and the 880 2, with the mile - 1,760 yards,  4 laps.
Spot on. Why can i remember things like that without any difficulty but when leaving the house cannot remember whether or not I have done my flies up.

grandad

It was 440, surely?

You are quite correct. It was a typo on my post.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bobbo

It was 440, surely?

it absolutely was as you say ray ,why have we got swung over to metric measurements —— the yanks dont , they refuse to budge. Gallons for petrol also.

One thing (I hope ) will never change the measurements oo football pitches.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bobbo on August 01, 2021, 02:40:30 PM
It was 440, surely?

Miles, Furlongs, Yards Feet Inches. Gallons Pints. Pounds, Ounces. Hundred Weight, Tons. Pounds Shillings & Pence, Crowns. Guinues, Half Crowns, Florins, Shillings, Pennies, Farthings.

it absolutely was as you say ray ,why have we got swung over to metric measurements —— the yanks dont , they refuse to budge. Gallons for petrol also.

Miles, Furlongs, Yards, Feet. inches. Gallons Pints Pounds Ounces, CWT Hundred Weight. Tons.
Pounds Shillings & Pence. Crowns Guineas, half crowns, Florins, shillings, pennies, farthings.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

BarryP

Quote from: bobbo on August 01, 2021, 02:40:30 PM
It was 440, surely?

This is true except for sporting events like track and field.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: grandad on July 31, 2021, 03:16:37 PM
I used to run the 400 yards, yes it was yards in my day, for the Surrey Junior AAA. Is the running track still behind the changing rooms & office building? There were football, rugby & hockey pitches where the players now train. Lots of great memories at MP.

Coincidence, I used to run the 400 yards and ran in the Middlesex Championships. 
I won my heat in the semis at White City but pulled out of the final because I was too nervous, feigning an injury.
I was at Sunbury Grammar (by luck) and my sports teacher sussed me out and banned me from all sports for a few months.

Now if I try to run I fall over.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

bobbo

440 roger ,are you not listening  :005: :005: :005:
1975 just leaving home full of hope

sunburywhite

Half my Saturdays was spent going round the South Circular playing rugby for the Civil Service (I never worked for them) playing at grounds that are no longer there like Barclays at Ealing. There were loads of sports grounds around Mostpur, quite a few are gone but many still survive
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: bobbo on August 01, 2021, 04:21:57 PM
440 roger ,are you not listening  :005: :005: :005:

Ooops  440 Yards  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

cmg

Yes. Lucky to have many excellent sports ground in and around South London.
Some now gone, as Sunbury White says, but many remain.
Fulham, of course, have resurrected and superbly developed the London University ground and will do the same with the ex-BBC place, another great social faciity, across the road.
In Berrylands, just down the road, King's College London, had the lushest turf I ever played on and I believe the Fulham Academy sides are currently using the next door LSE ground - with the added advantage of Woody's Pub in the corner of the ground.
All the Banks had luxury facilities, many grouped along Copers Cope Road in Beckenham. Luxury facilities plus, more importantly, very highly subsidised booze.

sunburywhite

Chelskum ground in Cobham used to be St Thomas Hospital ground, bastards were so fit it was hard keeping up with them
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

ken 44

Ronnief. I also went to Fleetwood school and remember running in the 880
at Motspur park about 1957 finnished third. appy days.