watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our new playing style

Started by FulhamStu, August 03, 2021, 11:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

I know it was only a friendly and I know it was div1 opposition but you could see quite clearly a change in playing style to the previous few seasons.

There was far less passing across the back 4 and Ream was mostly looking to play the ball forward into feet far more quickly.  We were also looking for the long ball from the back cutting out the midfield, however these were no so well executed and often over hit.  Defensively we were sound apart from a few slack moment by Robinson which I am sure will be noted and a boot up the bum administered.

In midfield we played with a 2 behind a no10.  Neither Anguissa or Francois played as a true defensive midfield player, both playing more like box to box no8's.  This will potentially cause problems v better teams as it will expose the back 4 and better teams than Charlton will take those 1st half chances they hit over the bar.  Carvalho like Francois worked very hard and both displayed some zip missing from Parkerball.  Quality on the ball and quick passing was in evidence and Francois amazed me as to how good he looked.  Carvalho is a quality player already and a prefect replacement for TC if he can keep that sort of performance going.

In attack we played wide players wide, still generally playing on the wrong side which I don't understand as they have to cut back and delay in order to shift to ball to their natural foot before crossing.  This makes a tough job for Mitro even harder as central defenders are able to get set.  Kebano did however look sharp and should be useful off the bench.  Knockaert was same old, works hard with no end product.  Willson should be able to get closer to Mitro and we need runners as per the Carvalho goal, running past our no9 into goal scoring positions.  Mitro is an odd one.  He was still isolated but this will happen with 4.2.3.1, he seemed unfit and not able to jump.  He needs to get on the move more when balls are delivered into the box, get in front of his man and jump for the header.

Cav, BDR Being available with presumably Wilson starting will present some selection problems for the 2 wide attacking positions.

Reed being available will provide more balance in midfield but it would be tough for Francois given how well he played, if he remains with us, Frank will start most games.  Seri is also interesting as it gives us strength from the bench and the ability to rotate.

We are a Mitro replacement/backup striker away from being well set and Silva will have by now worked out who we should be looking to offload.  I would suggest, MLM, Fabrio, Knockaert, maybe Christie or Odoi with Sees and Fossey going out on loan as starters.

filham

A lot of positives and so good to see the elimination of Parker Ball.
However, we cannot forget our dreadful goal scoring record last season, especially at the Cottage , and there was little sign of that being corrected. So few shots on target throughout the match.

FulhamStu

Quote from: filham on August 03, 2021, 12:06:56 PM
A lot of positives and so good to see the elimination of Parker Ball.
However, we cannot forget our dreadful goal scoring record last season, especially at the Cottage , and there was little sign of that being corrected. So few shots on target throughout the match.

Yes, totally agree about getting shots off.  I saw a few 'park life' videos of players shooting on goal but there was little in the way of defence during those clips.   Big Frank did get one shot off towards the end v Charlton as did Bryan but we must do better in this area, shooting early and on target is the answer, requires confidence, skill and positive coaching.