watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Although we will be favourites to go up, we are very much an unknown quantity

Started by rebel, August 02, 2021, 07:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

Until Silva fashions a pattern of play, tactics, style, team set up, his first eleven etc

The most important word being PERFORMANCE.

A 3 - 0 win over Middlesborough, but without a performance to match the result, we will be going nowhere.

bog

KingofCheese

Quote from: rebel on August 02, 2021, 07:48:37 AM
Until Silva fashions a pattern of play, tactics, style, team set up, his first eleven etc

A 3 - 0 win over Middlesborough, but without a performance to match the result, we will be going nowhere.

That would be a bit early to make any judgement don't you think?
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Woolly Mammoth

I cannot see how we can be favourites, there are other teams that will be a huge threat.
We do not even know who could leave who is coming in and what the first starting 11 is for Middsborough who will be a tough opponent.
The manager has many decisions to make and in the absence of a genuine fit goalscorer or two where on earth are our goals coming from.
We are not the finished article Fulham have in the past not punched their weight enough and can show a soft underbelly.
Yes of course make a level headed forecast after about ten matches but we haven't even kicked a ball in anger yet.
If we win with a promising performance v Colin let's keep our feet on the ground, if we lose or struggle with a draw we must keep our feet on the ground also.
Everyone starts with a clean slate and it's always good to win our first game anyway we can as it's the points that count, but forecasting that we are favourites and therefore should be automatic is fools gold.
If after ten matches out of a total of 46 we are top and looking mustard I may start to believe it, but this season will be no picnic, let us remember that.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

I Ronic

I think two thirds of the Championship are.  Barnsley got to the playoffs last season, almost went down the season before.

Everyone going to highlight Fulham's squad. As a buffer against defeat and a push on if they take points from us.

After the ups then downs of the last couple of seasons it would be a real tonic for the players, fans, owner and all connected with the Club to have a good season from the outset.

Riversider

I'm going for a stuttering start followed by a storming September,
Just don't think we've played enough competitive games in pre season.

Lyle from Hangeland

I think Fulham will have an invincible season or near invincible season. The latter is more likely than the former, but it will be beautiful and ascend us back up into the Premier League. Silva could have Fulham play like Norway played in the 1994 World Cup for all I care. Were the Preston North End Invincibles a thing of beauty? No, they were ugly Hoofers of the ball and violent, and now people only care that they didn't lose a single game in the Championship circa 1888/89.

rebel

Quote from: KingofCheese on August 02, 2021, 10:16:34 AM
Quote from: rebel on August 02, 2021, 07:48:37 AM

That would be a bit early to make any judgement don't you think?

I'm highlighting, that it's all about performance. Even last season we performed well in some matches, but just not enough of them.

General

I'm keeping my eyes out on QPR, Barnsley, Sheffield utd, Bournemouth and West Brom at the very least as the teams I expect to be there or there abouts. Slavisa and Parker have proven to be able to get promotion done with the teams they have. Barnsley and QPR were very strong towards the end of last season and are strengthening well. West Brom know this division and it'd be wrong to rule them out.

I'm sure there'll be others too.

You can never be guaranteed anything in this league, there are too many teams that can turn up, to many matches to play.

filham

Fully agree with every word that Woolly has written above.
I need to see us score three goals in in a match before I will believe we are in the promotion race. Another couple of games without a goal and I will be thinking of relegation.

Gezza

Just remember that in the previous two promotion seasons our first 10 games didn't exactly say we were certainties for promotion :
2017/18 - W3, D5, L2  ( drew our first 3 games ) Points 14/30
2019/20 - W5, D3, L2  Points 17/30

Gezza

perry geyton

Agreed it'll take a month or so for the chemistry to kick in, hopefully we'll still scrape some wins tho

simplyfulham

It's worth mentioning that both Sheffield and West Brom are in very similar positions. They have new managers and have largely kept their squads from the previous season with a few changes.

We are favourites as we have the most obvious goal scorer in the division.

You can argue against that if you don't feel like Mitro is up to it this season but that's the main reason most outside the club view us as strong title contenders.

WindyCity

Quote from: filham on August 02, 2021, 05:36:22 PM
I need to see us score three goals in in a match before I will believe we are in the promotion race. Another couple of games without a goal and I will be thinking of relegation.

This is the question which needs answering - - Offense!  Still wondering where the goals are gonna come from.  Very unclear heading into season start.  Maybe hopeful for mid table finish should the offense be weak.  A solid defense should keep FFC competitive.  I don't see how FFC can be favored for promotion.  Mid table looks doable, but this team could also find itself in a relegation battle.

Fingers crossed I'm a dope and don't know what I'm talking about and will be proven wrong by the lads.

Logicalman

Quote from: Riversider on August 02, 2021, 01:27:43 PM
I'm going for a stuttering start followed by a storming September,
Just don't think we've played enough competitive games in pre season.

Tend to agree with this, especially after reading General's post regarding pre-season games other clubs have engaged in.

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=82458.0

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 02, 2021, 01:02:42 PM
I cannot see how we can be favourites, there are other teams that will be a huge threat.

We are favourites, because bookies are offering 11/2 odds for us, which means they roughly think Fulham have a 16% of winning the Championship and all the other teams have a 84% chances of winning the Championship.

It probably works out that WBA, Sheffield and Bournemouth each have around a 12% chance of winning the championship and the other twenty teams each have 2.5% chance.

We are favourites, but as we have to sell off some quality footballers around deadline day it will be hard.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 03, 2021, 01:10:05 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 02, 2021, 01:02:42 PM

We are favourites, because bookies are offering 11/2 odds for us, which means they roughly think Fulham have a 16% of winning the Championship and all the other teams have a 84% chances of winning the Championship.

It probably works out that WBA, Sheffield and Bournemouth each have around a 12% chance of winning the championship and the other twenty teams each have 2.5% chance.

We are favourites, but as we have to sell off some quality footballers around deadline day it will be hard.

Why are you so sure you are correct, how can you dismiss other views so strongly.
How can you make such a statement based on what evidence.
So if the bookies told you that David Icke invented the wheel I expect you would believe that as well. We are not favourites with me or most of the population this side of the equator for obvious reasons that I shall explain when I visit you next at Tony Khans apartment he allows you to use. We are not favourites yet whilst we have difficulty finding the net and doubts about certain key positions.
Have you ever wondered why it's is so amazing that all the news that happens in the world every day always seems to fit exactly into a newspaper, don't you think that is suspicious.
Have you ever wondered why the Miss Universe Competition was always won by somebody from Planet Earth, have you never thought that was a little suspicious. Did you know that waking up in the morning is an eye opening experience.
There is no foundation for your claim of Fulham being undeniable favourites, simply because there are no roses without thorns.
Foot and self shoot come to mind.
Please remember never trust atoms they make up everything.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: General on August 02, 2021, 04:13:03 PM

I'm keeping my eyes out on QPR, Barnsley, Sheffield utd, Bournemouth and West Brom at the very least as the teams I expect to be there or there abouts. Slavisa and Parker have proven to be able to get promotion done with the teams they have. Barnsley and QPR were very strong towards the end of last season and are strengthening well. West Brom know this division and it'd be wrong to rule them out.

I'm sure there'll be others too.

You can never be guaranteed anything in this league, there are too many teams that can turn up, to many matches to play.

I agree with the teams you've listed as threats, and I'd probably be inclined to throw Forest in to that mix as well.

I think there's too many unknowns about us.  Much will depend on how quickly the boys adapt to the way Silva wants to play, and of course any business that gets done before the end of the window too.

RaySmith

The bookies always make the teams that have just come down favourites.

But if you look at our competition, I don't think we objectively seem favourites, but I didn't think that last time either.

There quite a few things need to fall in our favour - Mitro's form and fitness, possible acquisitions,  player fitness re injuries, but I feel positive, though with some trepidation.

Let's hope we get off to a decent start.

COYW