watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

AK47...backup #9?

Started by AnOldBrownie, August 03, 2021, 03:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

I have my doubts that Abou will ever be good enough to be a backup in the Prem...but I'm rewatching Fulham's 16 game undefeated streak in the 17/18 season, and unless the Championship has gotten much more competitive than it was 3 seasons ago, I think Abou can score goals at the Championship level.   He's also not a poor/reluctant passer. Probably more pace than anyone else on our squad.  Strong...and can put the ball in the back of the net.

Opinions?

Bassey the warrior

We say the same every season and yet he usually disappoints. Sure he always shows flashes of quality but just lacks cutting edge. Not a bad option but I'm not relying on him for goals, so we need to bring in more scorers.

FFC In Oz

No, we can't rely on him for goals.

At best he's a 3rd choice striker/winger that provides cover in the event of injuries/suspensions.

JackHamlet90

I quite like Kamara he is unpredictable & very quick & on his day is very dangerous although very inconsistent but I would happy to see him stay as a 3rd striker along with Mitro & Muniz hopefully as it's a very long season

JimmyConway

Composure - No
Technique - No
Creativity - No
Speed - Yes
Precision - No
Intelligence - No
Vision - No
Confidence - Yes
Power - Yes
Team Ethic - No

Is that fair?

bog

When is his next blow up coming?

092.gif

junior white

Putting aside the issues with rainieri, no moment team has ever said anything against him in fact always said he contributes to the squad.

Based on football alone he has speed, confidence, strength in abundance, his finishing is 50/50 at best at times (but then that is no worse than what we saw from anyone last season), what he lacks is a little composure in the box for sure. I dont buy he isnt a team player or has no vision / creativity. I seem to remember him putting in some crosses from wide and getting assists so he must be able to see things and deliver a cross or pass.

Like all strikers they lack vision at times because they want to score, there have been time sin the past when Mitro has shot and players have been available available in better positions to shoot, you cannot criticise a striker for doing what they are paid to do.

Overall in the championship he is probably worth a squad place unless we sign a replacement. You probably need 3 strikers/forwards so Mitro, AK and A N Other, ideally 2 of those 3 will be bale to play wide or in the 10 just in case you need to make adjustments to style or formation during a game.

I think Silva is going to play one up front (seems to have done that with Watford and Everton) so shouldn't need more than 3

The Rational Fan

Quote from: JackHamlet90 on August 03, 2021, 06:37:06 AM
I quite like Kamara he is unpredictable & very quick & on his day is very dangerous although very inconsistent but I would happy to see him stay as a 3rd striker along with Mitro & Muniz hopefully as it's a very long season

I think what we need most is to avoid a sell-off of quality players like Rodak, Tosin, Reed, and Mitro. Our money is better spent maintaining what we have, than upgrading our worst players by selling our best players. Kamara is one of our worst players in the squad, but he is pretty decent striker for a championship backup.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on August 03, 2021, 07:18:05 AM

092.gif

When he finds the doll.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

perry geyton

I've always rated him, the haters take the obvious view and slag him off because they don't have the vision to see his potential  but that season under Slav he was brilliant, by far the fastest player, some of his runs were outrageous, he also gets slated for his first touch but I've seen some sublime  touches from him
A good manager I believe could absolutely get the best out of him...

I hope he gets his chance and makes the haters eat their words
The QPR game for example

Bags & Bags of potential

perry geyton

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 03, 2021, 08:17:16 AM
Quote from: bog on August 03, 2021, 07:18:05 AM

092.gif

When he finds the doll.
It's probably at your house under your 🛌

MikeTheCubed

I thought Abou had turned a corner and was on the verge of proving himself to be first-choice material prior to the first lockdown:

Sadly when football resumed he was mysteriously injured for a while, but still put in an admirable performance up-front for the playoff final, not for the first time.

Penfold

Quote from: perry geyton on August 03, 2021, 08:17:36 AM
I've always rated him, the haters take the obvious view and slag him off because they don't have the vision to see his potential  but that season under Slav he was brilliant, by far the fastest player, some of his runs were outrageous, he also gets slated for his first touch but I've seen some sublime  touches from him

The QPR game for example

Bags & Bags of potential

I never get this talk of potential. Some people speak as if he's 18/19 whereas he's not much younger than Mitro.

Jim©

I like AK, something very different and an absolute nightmare for defenders if he comes on for last 25 and runs at them. No full back/CB would relish playing him at the end of a game when their legs are tiring.
Before we got Mitro, AK had been playing up front and playing well- scoring 5 and assisting once to get us on our way on the 23 game unbeaten run. Then he was dropped, completely and played 150 minutes in 17 games until the end of the season. I know I'd be annoyed if that was me, coming off the best run of my career.

His stats show a goal every 190 mins in Championship, and an assist every 4 games, which compares favourably to all of those around him. He's a great squad player for me.

Statto

Agree with Junior White and Copyright Jim

filham

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 03, 2021, 03:22:47 AM
We say the same every season and yet he usually disappoints. Sure he always shows flashes of quality but just lacks cutting edge. Not a bad option but I'm not relying on him for goals, so we need to bring in more scorers.

Yes, you are right. I always think AK47 looks the part and must deliver if given the chance. However he has been with us for some time now and has yet to command a team place, or even a regular place on the bench as an impact sub. Sorry to say it must be time for club and player to move on.

Lordedmundo

Quote from: perry geyton on August 03, 2021, 08:17:36 AM

The QPR game for example

Bags & Bags of potential

I don't hate him - I just don't rate him

In my opinion he does not have bags and bags of potential. If he had any potential then it has largely been unfulfilled.

At more or the less the same time we signed Kamara (and for a similar fee) - Brentford signed Ollie Watkins. They sold him for around £30m. They subsequently signed Ivan Toney - again for a modest fee of around £5m. His current value is estimated at £25m. In comparison - Abou's value is now £1.8m.  I know who I would rather have in our squad.

ChesterTheTabby

He's horrible. We've said the same thing for years. He is fast, that's it.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Lighthouse

I always think how would we feel if he was named in the side opposing us. Personally his speed and his strength are scary at times. Yes he lacks composure and there is plenty to feel let down about him.

But I wouldn't want our defence to play him. Mitro to me has done nothing for some time and has looked out of sorts. But he continues to be loved for his past brilliance. Well Kamara needs another chance and let's see how it goes for him under new management.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope