watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker Fallout

Started by TXWhite, August 03, 2021, 04:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

If you are in the team, ,the manager can do no wrong ,if not ...etc etc  lets move on and support Silva.

LVBPTS

i know hector had to be pulled away from him after they squared up. not sure what it was over but they were very close to punches
Supporter since 2000

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: MartyFFC on August 03, 2021, 06:58:48 PM
He's a bit like Southgate, seems to have a very good PR team and so despite his obvious deficiencies and flaws, the media are frothing at the mouth to praise him and give him a pass. However not even his extensive collection of turtle necks and cardigans will save him if he ends up finishing mid table or worse with Bournemouth......

Southgate is far superior, one of the best England managers in the past few decades.

toshes mate

If nothing else when an employee behaves badly when looking to move on to a 'new' job and s/he hasn't already got a bad reputation then questions will be asked as to why it happened.    True professionals do not behave badly, and so, I guess, we find out the hard way who the true professionals in life are and regret poor judgement at our leisure.   

Let's concentrate on having a very impressive season with excellent behaviours both on and off the pitch.  It's long overdue in my books.

cmg

Quote from: toshes mate on August 04, 2021, 11:28:15 AM
    True professionals do not behave badly, and so, I guess, we find out the hard way who the true professionals in life are and regret poor judgement at our leisure.   

I'm sure you are right. But as soon as I read it I realized that there is an exception to every rule. Decking Roy Keane might be highy desirable (if dangerous), smashing Vinnie Jones's ghetto blaster might be a way of ensuring a quiet dressing room, getting your team pi**ed on the night before a Wembley final might have calmed a few nerves but none of these could be termed 'good behaviour'.
Still, I guess Brian Clough was totally unique.

MartyFFC

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 04, 2021, 11:25:17 AM
He's a bit like Southgate, seems to have a very good PR team and so despite his obvious deficiencies and flaws, the media are frothing at the mouth to praise him and give him a pass. However not even his extensive collection of turtle necks and cardigans will save him if he ends up finishing mid table or worse with Bournemouth......

Southgate is far superior, one of the best England managers in the past few decades.
A good man-manager which is why he's had some success; but a very average coach whose shortcomings have been badly exposed when it really matters. Having one plan to win a game by stinking it out 1-0 is pretty much Southgate's only tactic, as is Parker's

Jeroen

Quote from: MartyFFC on August 04, 2021, 01:19:47 PM

A good man-manager which is why he's had some success; but a very average coach whose shortcomings have been badly exposed when it really matters. Having one plan to win a game by stinking it out 1-0 is pretty much Southgate's only tactic, as is Parker's

If we are comparing... Southgate has the backing of the entire squad, even down to the guys who didn't play a minute and created a team - Parker seems to have frozen out a couple of players and unable to keep fringe players happy - I guess a club is different than a tournament, but if we are comparing that's my 2 cents anyway (lets not go into tactical knowhow as both failed on that part - or are learning anyway)

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Tactically, he is the worst manager we have had in a long time. Awful team set up and formation, doesn't know whe to make a substitution and gets success through luck and luck alone.

Sound very similar.

roberto w6

Let's move on

It's like moaning about a transit van you hired, didn't perform how you wanted and you've now given back.

Faith in the future. Let's get behind Silva and move on from the negative past

Lordedmundo

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on August 04, 2021, 02:37:26 PM

Tactically, he is the worst manager we have had in a long time. Awful team set up and formation, doesn't know whe to make a substitution and gets success through luck and luck alone.

Sound very similar.

I tend to agree.

You cannot argue that Southgate hashad more success than any England other manager in the last 25 years - if you class a 4th place finish at the last World Cup and losing finalist at the last Euro's as success. I would say that he is a good man manager, good motivator and seems like a genuine guy. However, tactically - he is as poor as Parker.  If Mancini had been in charge of England, I think we would have won the recent final comfortably. 

Jim©

Quote from: Lordedmundo on August 04, 2021, 02:57:03 PM

You cannot argue that Southgate hashad more success than any England other manager in the last 25 years - if you class a 4th place finish at the last World Cup and losing finalist at the last Euro's as success. I would say that he is a good man manager, good motivator and seems like a genuine guy. However, tactically - he is as poor as Parker.  If Mancini had been in charge of England, I think we would have won the recent final comfortably. 

Well you can argue that simply because he has had more success.
A central MF pairing of Rice & Phillips an average keeper and the much maligned Stones isn't the spine on which to build a Euro winning team, yet we still got to the final.

He's done an outstanding job and whilst we may not be swashbuckling and entertaining to view from a neutral perspective, it remains our best ever back to back tournament successes.

Statto

Do any of those praising Southgate's tournament "success" actually look at who we played? The only decent team we beat across both tournaments was Germany, and even they were far from the Germany of old that's been our nemesis in other tournaments historically. He had the easiest two chances to win a trophy we've ever had, and he took neither.

KingofCheese

Quote from: Statto on August 04, 2021, 11:21:10 PM
Do any of those praising Southgate's tournament "success" actually look at who we played? The only decent team we beat across both tournaments was Germany, and even they were far from the Germany of old that's been our nemesis in other tournaments historically. He had the easiest two chances to win a trophy we've ever had, and he took neither.
Denmark are rated higher than Germany (10th) to Germany at 12.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Deeping_white

Interesting snippet from an interview between Ream and the Athletic;

The change at the top appears to have cured the hangover at Fulham before the season has started. Or at least that's the impression. Does Ream feel a change was needed?

"That's a good question," he says, pausing. "I think for some, yeah. I think for others... a few guys could maybe look past it and look forward to this season knowing that they have a good pedigree in the Championship. But I think for everyone involved, it probably made sense. The guys coming back, some individuals who last year didn't play as much, but were maybe strung along a little bit. But I think it was mutually beneficial for the majority of the squad here, and for those guys that left."

PaulJ123

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 05, 2021, 09:15:20 AM

The change at the top appears to have cured the hangover at Fulham before the season has started. Or at least that's the impression. Does Ream feel a change was needed?

"That's a good question," he says, pausing. "I think for some, yeah. I think for others... a few guys could maybe look past it and look forward to this season knowing that they have a good pedigree in the Championship. But I think for everyone involved, it probably made sense. The guys coming back, some individuals who last year didn't play as much, but were maybe strung along a little bit. But I think it was mutually beneficial for the majority of the squad here, and for those guys that left."

I.e The majority of the squad didn't like Parker

Jim©

Yep, more or less no different to most Euros we've played in the last 30 years. 2016, the most recent comparison- we played Slovakia, Wales, Russia and Iceland. Drew against Russia and Slovakia, sneaked past Wales and beaten by Iceland.
2012 we got through group by beating Sweden and Ukraine (1 nil, not 4) and draw with france. Out in next round v Italy.
The list goes on and on, it's always the same story bar 96 where we should really IMO have won the tournament. This one, with the team we had, i thought we'd overperformed.

Tabby

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 05, 2021, 09:15:20 AM

This punches a hole in a load of the stuff written about how Parker was beloved by the squad. He has some of the best PR work out there.

Statto

Quote from: Jim© on August 05, 2021, 09:43:28 AM

Yep, more or less no different to most Euros we've played in the last 30 years. 2016, the most recent comparison- we played Slovakia, Wales, Russia and Iceland. Drew against Russia and Slovakia, sneaked past Wales and beaten by Iceland.
2012 we got through group by beating Sweden and Ukraine (1 nil, not 4) and draw with france. Out in next round v Italy.
The list goes on and on, it's always the same story bar 96 where we should really IMO have won the tournament. This one, with the team we had, i thought we'd overperformed.

The vast majority of our tournament exits have always been to Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Germany, Spain or Italy, ie the other strong football nations (along with Belgium these days). So I think your first sentence was correct when you said 2018 and 2021 weren't much different to any other tournament. Bar the Germany win, we only got as far as we did because we avoided those teams.

As for our squad, well if rumours are to be believed then it's likely that in Sancho, Maguire, Kane and Grealish we'll have 4 of the 10-15 most expensive players of all time shortly and i doubt there's anyone in our starting XI you could buy for less than £50m. Even accounting for the "English premium" on transfer fees it's hard to say we don't have close to the best national team in the world at the moment in terms of individual talent. Certainly we're not punching above our weight against the likes of Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal... 

jarv

Parker is history now. I thought he did what he could given he poor recruitment of an attacking option for the premier division. I know we all hope for 6 points when we play Bournemouth, Anything less will be egg on our faces.

How did Southgate get into a Parker thread.? Comparison?  No comparison between them.  The England players seem to play for him, play for the badge and have pride in their performance.  Best manager since Bobby Robson. For years England have always been boring to watch. Before you jump on me because I am Scottish, I can boast of many Wembley games I have been at when England were very entertaining. Now they have a very talented group and also a good bunch of lads who do a lot of charity and community work. Managed by a thoroughly good bloke.