watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sorry, That was Disappointing!

Started by WindyCity, August 08, 2021, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@jolslover

Harsh - last 15 mins aside I was happy .. just a shame we didn't get the second goal earlier

Mitro looked off the pace
STH H3

Southcoastffc

Of course it was '2 points dropped ' but the bigger picture IMO is that it was a good performance for the first game, having had relatively little time for our new coaches and (some new) squad to get to grips with each other. Throw in an obdurate Warnock team of grafters and all in all a decent, promising, start.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

southwest6

Yeah, barring the final 15, I was also pleased with the performance. Played with a lot more purpose; wasnt possession just for the sake of possession.

Unlike many on here, though, I had always maintained that Silva is massively overrated (his record in England speaks for itself, imo), so my expectation of this season are similar to that I had with Parker in the champ. Promotion certainly the goal, but not expecting too 2 if I'm honest.

Good to see boa in the dugout and really nice to see the youngsters get a chance. They look the real deal!

Deeping_white

Reading some of the comments on here it makes me think that some people almost didn't want us to win so they could have a moan, which says more about them than the team. We've just played the youngest CM trio we'll probably see in our lifetime and they withstood a Boro rugby team and dominated them for 75 mins. I know we had the same bedwetters on here after the Barnsley loss after the first game two years ago but to suggest we're well off the pace is laughable considering we've got a fair few players to come back into that team and make it stronger. Boro are no mugs considering they came 10th last season, but let's perhaps give it 8-10 games before making absolute statements proclaiming we're rubbish because with some slightly better passing in the final third, we could've been out of sight by 60 mins

jayffc

Quote from: southwest6 on August 08, 2021, 06:20:25 PM
Yeah, barring the final 15, I was also pleased with the performance. Played with a lot more purpose; wasnt possession just for the sake of possession.

Unlike many on here, though, I had always maintained that Silva is massively overrated (his record in England speaks for itself, imo), so my expectation of this season are similar to that I had with Parker in the champ. Promotion certainly the goal, but not expecting too 2 if I'm honest.

Good to see boa in the dugout and really nice to see the youngsters get a chance. They look the real deal!

Im absolutely expecting top 2, IF we get a good CDM to partner Harrison + a CF (muniz?) and a winger I think this team is absolutely capable on paper of dominating what looks a poor league this year.

Twig

Overall I wasn't too disappointed, we will improve with Reed back and then our midfield just lacks either a fit TC or a replacement if there is no prospect of him regaining match fitness.  Up front we need another striker but the club have recognised that and are clearly seeking to make a signing.  Defensively I have no concerns, especially after Tim Ream's excellent performance today.

I thought that, corners apart, Wilson showed a lot of promise and so too did both youngsters. Gaz seemed solid (although whether we needed him ahead of Rodak I'm not sure). So the newbies seem like good additions.

Overall an ok start to the season. Onwards and upwards.

Dunstable Fulham

I thought there were plenty of positives. My biggest worry is Mitrovic. He certainly worked hard but he looks way off the pace. My brother and I were talking about Boa Morte on the way out and we got to talking about whether Tigana would have wanted Mitro in that league winning side. We are both of the view that he would not be picked ahead of either Louis Saha or Barry Hayles. In fact the side that played today is not a patch on that Tigana side.

MartyFFC

Poppycock. Very promising display, ultimately undone by a classic Warnock smash-and-grab. Unless you're expecting to finish the season winning all 46 games with 138 points, I fail to see how anyone can be that disappointed. Boro will be in the mix for the top-6 and so it's a bit naive/arrogant to expect that we should automatically roll them over

70sPimlico

Quote from: davew on August 08, 2021, 03:35:42 PM
Promotion favourites, really, not based on what I watched!

Wahey. Just got back. A new season started and you're still here, doing what you do. In many ways, its reassuring to know that whatever happens, you will always be here reminding us that things won't be as good as we expect them to be.

Welcome back

70sPimlico

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 08, 2021, 06:20:35 PM
Reading some of the comments on here it makes me think that some people almost didn't want us to win so they could have a moan, which says more about them than the team. We've just played the youngest CM trio we'll probably see in our lifetime and they withstood a Boro rugby team and dominated them for 75 mins. I know we had the same bedwetters on here after the Barnsley loss after the first game two years ago but to suggest we're well off the pace is laughable considering we've got a fair few players to come back into that team and make it stronger. Boro are no mugs considering they came 10th last season, but let's perhaps give it 8-10 games before making absolute statements proclaiming we're rubbish because with some slightly better passing in the final third, we could've been out of sight by 60 mins

Here here

HV71

Thought we were quite good - at times we looked very good. Defensively sound - Ream was excellent . Up front I thought we looked very lively down the right Tete put in some decent crosses and Wilson had a very good game. Th kids played well and were lively - However we still missed a creative midfielder with a splitting pass. Mitro tried and his link up play was fine but not his finishing. Sadly in an attempt to get a result the subs only seemed to make us worse .
Overall a reasonable and positive start from a new manager and a team without much of a pre - season . It will only improve.

Statto

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on August 08, 2021, 03:39:25 PM
Why does everyone forget Ream's contribution? His passing today had a sense of urgency and he hardly put a foo5 wrong.
We nearly lost that game because Silva put on too many forwards and we really lost our shape .

Agree he was ok today, and that is from one of his biggest critics. Distribution was poor but that was the same for both CBs

Mullers OG

Not bad but not good either.

Same problem as ever, and known by the supporters. When Mitrovic isn't on fire whether he's unfit, out of form or whatever there's no back up.  The weakness was shown by Kamara on the bench. The sooner a new striker is signed the better then Kamara can be allowed to find his proper level elsewhere.

Arthur

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 08, 2021, 06:20:35 PM
...with some slightly better passing in the final third, we could've been out of sight by 60 mins

You're making the assumption we're capable of the better passing and finishing that would have been required to have been out of sight. I'm not so sure we are. Yes, the return of Reed and Cairney will strengthen us. But however we shuffle round Mitrovic, Kebano, BDR, Cavaleiro, Onomah and Kamara, I don't envisage it turning us into a high-scoring team.

3 Cherries

To echo others, Mitro is a real concern... hoping I'm proved wrong.

LC

If you consider Reed and Cairney need to come back into the team then that probably gets us 3 points today. The window isn't closed yet, I'd expect us to bring in 2 more players, a midfielder, and a forward to compete with Mitrovic. I Still very much believe Mitro will score 20+ this season.

I think Wilson will be a good player for us this season, and for once I'm not really concerned about our defence.

On a personal note I'd like to see Bryan start ahead of Kebano in midfield- This will result in much more service for Mitro.

On a final note, we need to sort out Anguisse and Seri future asap- I'm not on the training ground but having players who don't want to be there can impact the wider squad. If they want to stay and fight then both can be effective this season. Let's see what happens.

Andy S

I was happy with today's performance until the legs started to go letting Boro' in for their first shot on target in the game. Too early to predict promotion but things will improve

Jim©

Quote from: Fulham 442 on August 08, 2021, 05:38:45 PM
Quote from: Jim© on August 08, 2021, 05:31:04 PM
Some of the negative comments are slightly laughable. Good performance, should have been out of sight, boro had one (1) shot on target.
Yes but we weren't out of sight were we Jim? We drew...

Hence the "should".
If we'd played poorly and nicked a draw in the first game after being relegated ( with a very different team) then I'd get the negativity...

FFC1987

How anyone can criticise Ream and give Mitrovic a pass on todays performance is beyond me. That's some gold medal mental gymnastics to justify that one.

ALG01

some interetsing points and some way to rose couloured fiction.
Truth is we have all the same issues we have had for the last five years.
we do not have a proper forward line and we do not have a tough guy in midfield
i lke wilson, very good, i like young cav, but otherwise we suffer the same third rate man at the top that cannot understand we need a proper squad, not rosta,  squad Billy. and the fact the khans cannot even manage the correct terminology or get tickets sent out in time for the first day of th season speaks volumes as to what is wrong and continues to be wrong
they fell out with slav, they undermined and fell out with scott. how long before silva says the squad is oinadequate and expects signings in january if we are to get anywhere only to find they spectaculalrly fail to materialse as our season stutters.

one game in and we have a misfiring center forward that managed to get biooked in a few moments and no repacement on the bench except for players most people have not thought were good enough for a  few seasons.

personally I had to stay ho,me today and watch on sky because of a family issue and failed to understand how the commentators kept saying how good we were. i never saw their keeper tested that often. we will only move on once we get  proper recriuitment, but hey i know some people think the khan;s are the best thing since sliced bread and we need to get them their own song, but i think failing to get me my season  ticket before the first game is amateurish. what i saw today dod not really inspire.