watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We all love the dear old Johnny Haynes stand...but

Started by Riversider, August 09, 2021, 12:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Quite a crush at half time, prefered to stay in my seat, good for entry to the stand also quick getaway at fulltime. Haven't renewed this season for health reasons. Gutted, when I can get to the occasional game, hopefully it will JH BL block.

Lordedmundo

Is another option to move the club shop and/or ticket office elsewhere (to the Riverside stand?!) - then open up those spaces to use as an extra space for facilities inside the stand?

I must admit I've not been inside the JH stand for donkeys years, but I guess like the Hammersith (and Putney) all the facilities could do with some serious upgrade/modernisation!

Wolf

I use the Stevenage Road Stand, as it remains to me (I missed seeing Johnny Haynes play by 19 years), but don't particularly enjoy its amenities. Yes it's lovely to look at, but seat comfort, the ability to enjoy a drink, and toilet access are all a throwback to the days of Haynes.

I'm sure improvements could be made, but they would be expensive and would add little to revenue streams - unlike the new Riverside stand. I aim to migrate when not paying for two child tickets as well as my own.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

ealex40

Quote from: Carborundum on August 09, 2021, 03:49:51 PM
I sit just behind the brick wall and can report that the wooden ledge atop it has been given a lick of paint....the pristine nature of which was somewhat jeopardised by a small Bovril spillage before kick off.  What that stuff does to my insides isn't worth contemplating.

I love the JH stand.  It's not everyone's cup of Bovril, but it works for me.

0001.jpeg

blingo

Got to be honest, I have never been a fan of the JH stand. I get the tradition part, but it looks like there is a lot of underused space there.   It's always been to the right of the goal as you look at it, at the Hammersmith End for me. It's not something I would dearly miss. NOW, you touch the Cottage...............

cookieg

Would Fulham own the pavement outside the JH? If they do then they could, in theory, move the facade back a 5-10 yards and expand that way. I appreciate that would be some building work involved but an option which would give room for better facilities underneath and maybe even more seats or more room for those already there.

Dunstable Fulham

I loved standing in the enclosure - great times meeting up with the same people at every home game. The supporting facilities are poor but they all add to the charm. Their just isn't enough room. I would hate to see anything done to that stand. It's a major part of the clubs history and fabric and part of what makes the ground unique. You can smell and touch the history when you walk into that stand.
I think the priority is the redevelopment of the Hammersmith and Putney ends. Both are temporary structures and must be the priority.

SG

I always look at the stand fascia when I walk past. It is a fascinating piece of architecture and history. This is what is listed, along with the Cottage. Development may take place one day but the fascia, the gable roof and the Cottage are iconic and very special to me.

roberto w6

I'm sure a smart architect with experience of renovating listed buildings but retaining their character could do something to modernise the stand whilst keeping the important historic elements

MartyFFC

No legroom, you can't see all of the pitch from the back; and if you sit further forward there's a good chance your view will be badly obscured by a pillar. Plus the concourse at half-time is nothing short of a joke; at one point I can recall I was unable to move for about 5 minutes it was so crowded, no chance of getting served at half-time; and after queuing for an eternity the toilets are so cramped you feel like you're in Bilbo Baggins' hobbit hole. However it's obviously an iconic part of the stadium; though I'll never sit in there ever again. The difference in the match day experience between the JH and the new Riverside stand will be remarkable.....

Colton F.C.

Apologies for being a pedant but what we have in Stevenage Road is a facade.  A fascia is something we bolt to our guttering.

RaySmith

Never bother with half time refreshments at any ground, always a pain to get served.

Remember exiting from the Hammy End down the steps, after  games with huge crowds, in the 60's as a kid, packed together on the terraces and unable to move,  like v Double winning Spurs, and being carried off my feet and swept along, which was scary.

Similar situations led to disasters at Glasgow  Rangers' Ibrox, though with probably even bigger crowds, and steeper steps. After the first, they didn't do much, and then had a second that was even worse, with many killed.

RaySmith

Quote from: Dunstable Fulham on August 09, 2021, 07:25:51 PM
I loved standing in the enclosure - great times meeting up with the same people at every home game. The supporting facilities are poor but they all add to the charm. Their just isn't enough room. I would hate to see anything done to that stand. It's a major part of the clubs history and fabric and part of what makes the ground unique. You can smell and touch the history when you walk into that stand.
I think the priority is the redevelopment of the Hammersmith and Putney ends. Both are temporary structures and must be the priority.

0001.jpeg

The Enclosure was great, loved it.
You were right on top of the  pitch, and  could reallly feel part of the game.

Remember when we went into the  bottom division, and being able to sit down  on the terracing, because there were so few  fans - sad times.

General

The only thing I could think of that would preserve the Johnny Haynes and respect its heritage and cultural importance is to consider building around it and ensuring the the facade and other key aspects were kept in place.

Would take a monumental effort though to do, but would be fun to keep it in tact for as long as humanly possible.