more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 14/08/21...

Started by WhiteJC, August 14, 2021, 12:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Matt Grimes is happy at Swansea City, says manager Russell Martin

Swansea City boss Russell Martin says that he 'wants' Matt Grimes to stay this summer – the midfielder has been linked with all of Brighton, Fulham and Watford.

Grimes, 26, has been with Swansea City since joining from Exeter City midway through the 2014/15 season.

He's since racked up well over 120 Championship appearances for the Swans having been a mainstay in the side for the past three seasons now – he's featured 45 times or more in each of the last three Championship campaigns for the Swans.

Last time round he made 48 total outings in the league as Steve Cooper's side reached the Championship play-off final and since, reports have linked Grimes with a number of clubs. Bournemouth have been mentioned, though it's the trio of Brighton, Fulham and Watford that have been more closely linked.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Swansea's new boss Martin has had his say on Grimes' future:

"We want him to stay – and that won't change. I have had a few conversations with him about it. He is settled here with his partner, he loves the area, has been at the club a long time and he has a great relationship with the fans.

"We want to retain our good players and he is certainly one of them. I think we've walked in and he's thought 'the way they want to play is probably going to suit me and I can be quite an important person in it."

Contract dilemma
Grimes is now in the final year of his Swansea City contract. The Englishman sees his deal in South Wales expire next summer and Martin has gone on to explain how he and the Swans heir achy are hoping to get Grimes tied down to a new deal.

He told BBC Sport:

"The owners know how I feel about Matt and his role with us and (sporting director) Mark Allen sees it the same way. They understand it completely, but it has to be right for everyone and has to work within the parameters of the club.

"Hopefully we can get to that point, if we don't it certainly won't be for a lack of trying. We're talking at the moment to see what we can make happen, what works for him and what works for us.

"And if there is a time when we can shake hands on something that works for everyone, brilliant – if not we just have to wait and see what happens."

Grimes is obviously a quality Championship player. He's been with the club for a while now but the Swans seem to be falling further away from promotion.

They came close twice under Cooper but now that he's gone, Martin has come in and the club looks to be going about a rebuilding phase under the former MK Dons boss.

Whether Grimes will be a long-term part of that rebuild or not could largely depend on his contractual situation which, as Martin says is a waiting game.

https://the72.co.uk/244953/matt-grimes-is-happy-at-swansea-city-says-manager-russell-martin/

WhiteJC

Fulham trio to miss Huddersfield Town clash with winger doubtful

Fulham head to Huddersfield Town in the Championship this weekend, as both sides look for their first win of the season.

Fulham started to life under Marco Silva with a 1-1 draw at home to Middlesbrough last time out, whilst Huddersfield and Derby County drew by the same score.

Silva takes his side up to West Yorkshire tomorrow afternoon but he's already been dealt a handful of injury setbacks – West London Sport report that Tom Cairney has an ongoing knee injury and that his return date in unknown.

"He has the knee problem, so it's a question of the next few days or weeks, but he's an important player for us," Silva told West London Sport.

Another injury concern in the midfield department is with Harrison Reed. He's also set to miss this weekend's trip to Huddersfield, but Silva says he should be back sooner than Cairney.

"His return? It will be sooner (than Cairney). It's a different (injury) from the end of last season, but in the next few days I'll talk with the medical staff and we can be clearer."

Elsewhere, The Athletic's Peter Rutzler has also confirmed that defender Terrence Kongolo will be absent this weekend and that Anthony Knockaert is a 'doubt' as he recovers from a back issue.

Aboubakar Kamara though has returned to training but it's unclear where he'll play any part in this weekend's fixture.

Silva will be gunning for a win after letting a lead slide v Boro last time out. The absences of Reed and Kongolo will be a blow to him and that central midfield position looks especially light with Cairney out too.

Town will pose a threat and as they return to action in front of their home fans, it could make for a really tough way trip for the London club.

https://the72.co.uk/244956/fulham-trio-to-miss-huddersfield-town-clash-with-winger-doubtful/

WhiteJC

Sky Sports pundit outlines prediction for Huddersfield Town's meeting with Fulham

Sky Sports EFL pundit David Prutton has suggested that Fulham will have enough quality in their squad to secure all three points from their trip to Huddersfield Town on Saturday.

Huddersfield head into the game off the back of a solid if unspectacular start to the season with them holding Derby County to a 1-1 draw away from home.

That is not a bad point for them to have picked up considering they went into the game without their manager's presence on the sidelines and with other issues in their squad.

The Terriers though will need to take their game up to another level if they are going to be able to get anything out of the game against Fulham this weekend.

Carlos Corberan's side have shown that they can cause one or two issues for quality Championship sides in the past and they will need to be at their best here to frustrate their opponents.

Fulham head into the game off the back of a frustrating opening day with Middlesbrough at Craven Cottage. Marco Silva's side controlled the game for large parts and showed they have real star quality at this level with Harry Wilson's excellent strike to give them the lead.

However, they also showed that there is still some issues to sort out within their ability to kill off teams when they are on top in matches and also some vulnerability at the back when under pressure.

Making his latest round of predictions for Sky Sports, Prutton suggested that Fulham's quality should prove to be too much for Huddersfield on Saturday and he thinks they will come out of the game 2-1 winners.

He wrote: "Considering some of the problems at Derby it is hard to judge what level Huddersfield are at from their opening result, especially when you take into account the fact Carlos Corberan was missing too.

"Fulham and Marco Silva will have wanted more than a draw against Middlesbrough, but they won't be the only side to come away frustrated by Neil Warnock's men this season. I feel like they should have enough to get the win here, however."

The verdict

This is a vital game for Fulham you feel and one that they need to lay down a marker in to show the rest of the division that they mean business this season in terms of being serious promotion contenders.

These are the sorts of matches that you need to be taking three points from if you are to be a force in the English second tier and the pressure will be on them to do so.

That means that Huddersfield can relax somewhat and just try and play their natural game and that might be a benefit to them and allow them to play without any fear against Fulham.

Should they manage to do that then they could pose a real issue to Silva's side and should not be completely written off heading into the contest.

You would imagine though that Fulham should be able to edge this game if they turn up with the right level of concentration and find one or two moments of quality from their best-attacking players.

In games like this one, Huddersfield's defence would always be a concern and you can not see them managing to keep Fulham quiet for the whole game and that is why Prutton is potentially going to be right in saying that Silva's side could edge this one here.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sky-sports-pundit-outlines-prediction-for-huddersfield-towns-meeting-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

From the Opposition Stand – Huddersfield Town (a)

Ahead of Fulham's first away trip of the season, I spoke to James from TerrierSpirit.com (@SpiritTerrier) to get the lowdown on our opponents on Saturday, Huddersfield Town.

What are your expectations of Huddersfield this season?

We've flirted with relegation in the last two seasons and haven't significantly strengthened so we're likely to be at the bottom end of things again. A mid-table finish would be a very good outcome but, realistically, I think we'll be in the bottom six but hopefully outside the relegation spots.

What did you make of your Town's opening game – a 1-1 draw with Derby?

We didn't play too badly against Derby and they were a far stronger team than the media suggested. On paper a draw seems like a poor result but we worked hard, created a few chances and were just about the better side.

What are your thoughts on Carlos Corbéran?

I like Corberán but he was overhyped when he arrived. He was billed as a cut-price Bielsa, having coached under him at Leeds previously. His system worked well up to Christmas last season but the wheels fell off in the second half and we've only won three games in 2021. With a bit of backing he might be able to recreate what Bielsa did at Leeds but trying to play that style of football with a bunch of free transfers and kids is asking for trouble.

Who is the Huddersfield player to look out for?

Our form player right now is Sorba Thomas. He arrived from Boreham Wood in the January transfer window but has only really broken into the team this season. He's a winger but will most likely play left wingback as both of our leftbacks are currently out with covid. Against Debry he had nine key passes, most of them coming from his accurate and whipped in dead balls.

What are your thoughts on Fulham?

I don't know loads about Fulham but Mitrovic has been a thorn in our side in the last and is really too good to be playing at this level. Similarly, bringing in Harry Wilson is a bit of a coup, even if the terms of the deal sound a bit like an accountancy fiddle.  Marco Silva was seen as the next big thing only a few seasons ago, so it's strange to see him managing in the Championship. It'll be interesting to see how he responds to the cut and thrust of this league, with so many games to play and physical teams that won't let you play nice football.

How do you expect the game on Saturday to go?

I'm hoping that this is a good time to play a relegated team as you'll still be adjusting to this league. Having said that, we've key players out with covid and other injured, so are far from full strength.  Last season we struggled against defensive teams but often played better against teams. I'm expecting Fulham to come and attack us and we'll look to be solid at the back and try and hit you on the counter. This strategy would work better if we didn't have a tendency to misplace passes in dangerous areas.

And, finally, can you give us a score prediction?

I doubt Town will keep a clean sheet but I think we'll get a lift from playing in front of our fans for the first time in such a long time, so I'll say 1-1.

MY PREFERRED FULHAM STARTING XI: Gazzaniga; Tete, Ream, Tosin, Bryan; Francois, Onomah; Wilson, Kebano, Carvalho; Mitrovic.

@ffcSeb's Score Prediction; Huddersfield Town 0-2 Fulham FC

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/08/from-the-opposition-stand-huddersfield-town-a/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva issues comment over situation of in-demand Fulham player as Aston Villa and Arsenal circle

Fulham manager Marco Silva has insisted that he wants midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa to be involved in his squad once again amid the latest developments on his potential future.

It is believed by The Athletic that Anguissa was absent from Fulham's opening Championship game of the season against Middlesbrough last weekend after he informed the club that he wants to try and secure himself a move away from Craven Cottage before the transfer window shuts.

That came amid reports that the likes of Everton, AS Roma and Valencia have all been interested in making a move for the talented midfielder this summer following Fulham's relegation down to the Championship.

It has since been reported that Arsenal and Aston Villa are also in the race for Anguissa's potential signature this summer.

While a report from Gazzetta dello Sport (print edition, August 11, page 10) revealed that Aston Villa are now leading the race for the midfielder following the funds they have been handed after Jack Grealish's departure to Manchester City.

Speaking to The Athletic, Silva has now revealed that he wants Anguissa to continue to show desire to be involved for Fulham until his situation is resolved this summer.

He said: "It's something we will keep inside our football club. With Frank and all the others, I want them 100 per cent involved. I want all of them with a desire to work and win football matches in this shirt. All the other things are for us to talk about inside our club."

The verdict

This is a very challenging situation for Silva, but following Fulham's relegation from the Premier League last season they were always likely to encounter one or two players that were not satisfied with spending this term in the English second tier.

Anguissa is a player with ability that is above the level of the Championship and he showed that with his consistent performances for them in the middle of the park last season in the Premier League.

That came after he had returned from an impressive loan spell with Villarreal during the 2019/20 season when his current employers were earning promotion back to the top-flight.

Given the likes of Aston Villa and Arsenal are interested in the midfielder, it seems as though a route back to the Premier League is very much there for him in the next few weeks.

You can understand why he would want to do all he can to convince Fulham to cash in on him but he equally should not really be missing games as a result of that.

Silva's comments here show that he is trying to get the midfielder back on side for the next few weeks ahead of any transfer. It would be in his interest to keep himself as fit as possible so that if he does make a move he is ready to make an immediate impact.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/marco-silva-issues-comment-over-situation-of-in-demand-fulham-player-as-aston-villa-and-arsenal-circle/

WhiteJC

Pre-Huddersfield Press Conference

Marco Silva wants Tom Cairney back in contention as soon as possible, but will not rush the midfielder.

Fulham's Captain felt his knee in his first session under the new boss, and it's now about managing that before reintegrating him into the side.

"It's a situation where we have to see day by day," Silva explained in his pre-Huddersfield Town press conference. "He started the pre-season, not with me.

"With me he's had just one training session and he got worse, so we decided to stop because what I want from Tom is what I want from all the others; I want them 100 per cent ready to train hard and play at their best level.

"This is what I want from Tom as well. Unfortunately for me he felt the pain in the knee that day.

"As you know, he's an important player for the football club, and an important player for me as well.

"Let's hope we can have him as soon as possible, but I want him 100 per cent ready to play his best level."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/august/Pre-Huddersfield-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Covid-19 causing issues for Huddersfield ahead of Fulham game

Huddersfield's preparations for the visit of Fulham in the Sky Bet Championship are once again hampered by Covid-19 issues.

Goalkeeper Lee Nicholls, left-backs Harry Toffolo and Josh Ruffels and midfielder Lewis O'Brien sat out the trip to Derby last weekend after testing positive.

Head coach Carlos Corberan also missed the draw at Pride Park after a positive test and will find out whether he will be able to attend on Friday, but the players have to wait longer.

Defender Pipa and winger Rolando Aarons have returned to training and will be assessed but Aaron Rowe is still sidelined.

Fulham are again without captain Tom Cairney, who is still troubled by the knee problem that affected him in pre-season.

Fellow midfielder Harrison Reed could also miss out again after sitting out the season opener against Middlesbrough with a knock and defender Terence Kongolo (knee) is not ready to return.

Manager Marco Silva also has fitness doubts over winger Anthony Knockaert and forward Aboubakar Kamara.

It remains to be seen if midfielder Andre-Frank Anguissa is involved having been left out last week amid speculation over his future.

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/latest-news/374868/covid-19-causing-issues-for-huddersfield-ahead-of-fulham-game/

WhiteJC

Fulham's new signing pictured at airport saying farewell to club fans – Set to quarantine in Spain

Fulham's new signing Rodrigo Muniz is on his way to Europe, according to reports from Brazil.

Journalist Venê Casagrande published on Twitter a picture of the player at the airport, as the striker was taking photographs with Flamengo fans before taking his flight.

Back on Thursday, the reporter had already claimed that Muniz would soon be leaving Brazil. It's been said he's now set to have a quarantine period in Spain before going to London.

It's once again stated that Fulham spent €8m to sign the player, while Flamengo will keep 25% of a future sale.

In a story on O Dia, Casagrande writes that the transfer has been 'very celebrated' by Flamengo, as the club felt like they managed to make a great valuation of the player.

After all, they're making good money on a striker who's only the third option in the team.

Still, it doesn't mean Fulham are being fooled.

Muniz is on the bench because the Rio de Janeiro side are full of stars, with Gabriel Barbosa and Pedro fighting to be the number 9 spot.

The Whites' new signing has shown great potential when used, having scored nine goals in his first 25 appearances.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulhams-new-signing-pictured-airport-saying-farewell-club-fans-set-quarantine-spain/

WhiteJC

Fulham handed quadruple injury blow ahead of Huddersfield Town clash as key players absent

The Terriers will be without several key men themselves due to COVID-19.

Fulham are set to be without four first-team starters on Saturday when they travel to face Huddersfield Town.

The Terriers are looking for their first three points of the season after drawing 1-1 with Derby County on the opening day at Pride Park.

Carlos Corberan's side were badly impacted by an outbreak of COVID-19 cases and are unlikely to welcome back any of their absentees at the John Smith's Stadium.

Fortunately, Fulham will also be without influential midfielders Harrison Reed and Tom Cairney, with the latter set for another extended spell on the sidelines after missing the majority of last season.

Marco Silva's side began their campaign with a 1-1 draw at home to Middlesbrough and featured a youthful-looking midfield, missing several high-profile names.

None of them will return against Town, with Terrence Kongolo also ruled out and Anthony Knockaert a major doubt.

"He has the knee problem, so it's a question of the next few days or weeks, but he's an important player for us," Silva said in his pre-match press conference, on Cairney.

"His (Reed) return? It will be sooner (than Cairney). It's a different (injury) from the end of last season, but in the next few days I'll talk with the medical staff and we can be clearer."

Town could welcome back Pipa and Rolando Aarons from injury, though Aaron Rowe and Daniel Sinani could miss out.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-quadruple-injury-huddersfield-town-21300865

WhiteJC

Huddersfield Matchday Preview

Huddersfield Town v Fulham | Saturday 14th August 2021 | 3pm | John Smith's Stadium | #HUDFUL

The opposition

Huddersfield kicked things off in the same manner as Fulham on opening day, claiming a 1-1 draw with Derby County. Naby Sarr equalised for them on the stroke of half-time, and they went on to have the better chances to win the game.
    Their Head Coach Carlos Corberan was absent at Pride Park after returning a positive Covid test, and he is awaiting medical advice before making a decision on his attendance at Saturday's game.
    Four players also missed the Derby draw with Covid – Lewis O'Brien, Harry Toffolo, Josh Ruffels and Lee Nicholls – and they are expected to still be absent at the weekend.

Huddersfield team news

In addition to the aforementioned quartet, Aaron Rowe misses out, while late calls will be made on Rolando Aarons and Pipa. New signing Tom Lees is making good progress following ankle surgery, but the meeting with Fulham will come too soon for him.

Fulham team news

Harrison Reed and Terence Kongolo are still working their way back to fitness and will not feature at the John Smith's, while Marco Silva is still unsure on when we will see Tom Cairney. Maxime Le Marchand is also injured, while Anthony Knockaert remains a doubt with the same issue that ruled him out of Middlesbrough.

FFCtv

International supporters with a relevant subscription can watch the game live on FFCtv, with a season pass available for £170 and individual match pass for £10. All other subscribers can listen to live coverage from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid, with exclusive pre-match coverage beginning at 2.30pm.

Subscribe to FFCtv

Tickets

Advance tickets are now off sale, but Huddersfield will be selling on the day, with no price increase. These can be purchased at the turnstiles.

Weather

It should remain cloudy but dry in Huddersfield on Saturday, with temperatures around 17 degrees.

Player insight

Tim Ream acknowledged the importance of getting those first three points under your belt, ahead of Saturday's trip to West Yorkshire.

"It's a typical Championship game," he told FFCtv. "We're going to go and probably have spells where we dominate, and have some where we're going to be under it a little bit.

"You want to get a win early, we were looking like it was going to be that at the weekend but we're not discouraged and we want to get a win on the board as quickly as possible.

"We're targeting that on Saturday at Huddersfield and hopefully we can kick on from there."

Form

Huddersfield: D*D

Fulham: D

*Won on penalties

Pre-match quotes

"Fulham have a very good squad. They will be one of the strongest teams that we face. We are completely focusing on all our possibilities to try and show our best level in what will be a difficult game."
Carlos Corberan
Huddersfield Head Coach

"I think it will be a tough game against a good side. A team that likes to play and has a clear idea. It is up to us to play with quality and answer in the way we want."

Marco Silva
Fulham Head Coach

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/august/Huddersfield-Matchday-Preview/

WhiteJC

'He still has plenty to offer' – 29-year-old's uncertain future at Fulham: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Anthony Knockaert seems unlikely to receive regular game time at Fulham this season, the 29-year-old did not make the squad for the Cottagers' opening match to the Championship and he spent the majority of last season on loan at Nottingham Forest.

The Frenchman is vastly experienced at second tier level scoring 38 goals and assisting 36 in 224 appearances at the level, gaining promotion from the division with both Leicester City and Brighton and Hove Albion.

Knockaert has endured a couple of below par campaigns by his own very high standards in the last two years and with two years left on his contract at Craven Cottage it would appear that Marco Silva does not include him in his first team plans.

Not many clubs in the Championship can compete with the wage budgets of the likes of Fulham so it may be more likely that he leaves England in this transfer window.

Despite his dips in form since leaving Brighton and Hove Albion, when fit and motivated, the latter being the most crucial, Knockaert is still a top class performer at second tier level and with the right management can be an effective squad player for the Cottagers at the very least this season.

Ben Wignall

I expected Knockaert to set the Championship alight last season with Nottingham Forest, so to end the season with just two goals and one assist was a really poor return for someone who was probably getting paid very handsomely.

We all know what the Frenchman can do on his day, however he will turn 30 years old in November and I feel as though his best days are well and truly behind him.

And Fulham's acquisition of Harry Wilson was probably the final nail in the coffin for his chances of redemption at Craven Cottage this season – of course Wilson can play in the number 10 role as well but with the emergence of young Fabio Carvalho it means that the Wales international is likely to feature on the right of an attacking midfield three.

That is Knockaert's strongest position as well which allows him to cut inside onto his left foot – but he's just not really shown his quality in recent years.

If I was Fulham I would be aiming to offload this summer, but I can't see him ending up at another English club and a move abroad seems the most likely bet – perhaps to his native France.

Ned Holmes

Unless a good offer comes in, I'd look to keep hold of him if I were Marco Silva.

He may not have been quite at his best in recent years but we've seen time and again what Knockaert can do at this level.

The arrival of Harry Wilson is certainly a boost but squad depth is so, so important when you're pushing for promotion.

If Silva feels as though he can get Knockaert playing back at his best and happy in a bit-part role, then keeping hold of him is the best call.

That said, if a good offer comes in then it could make sense for Fulham to sell and look to reinvest the money.

Billy Mulley

Anthony Knockaert has enjoyed excellent success in the Championship in the past, but has been unable to replicate that in more recent seasons.

He was unable to provide the creative spark that Nottingham Forest needed last time out, in a season where it was staged for him to emerge influential once more.

Fulham possess one of, if not the best squad in the division this season and it is hard to determine where Knockaert could fit in. But, that is not to say that he cannot thrive at Championship level anymore. He is still one of the most effective players in wide areas, with his ability to cut in and create goal-scoring opportunities on stand-by to be deployed.

Fulham should try to sell Knockaert this summer. He still has plenty to offer, but not within the side that Marco Silva has at his disposal. His availability would certainly alert potential Championship suitors, whilst a move abroad could also be on the cards.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/he-still-has-plenty-to-offer-29-year-olds-uncertain-future-at-fulham-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Up next: Huddersfield Town (a)

A point a piece, one goal for and one goal against for both sides going into the second game of the season. Whilst it's tough to make predictions at this stage in the season I'd like to think the early signs point to a Fulham win. Considering Derby's late scramble to put a team together last weekend, Huddersfield (despite a slightly Covid ravaged squad) may be slightly disappointed to have only picked up a point and after their twentieth place finish last season, they have some work to do.

However, it won't be plain sailing for Fulham at The John Smith's Stadium as Huddersfield certainly have enough quality to cause some issues. They managed seventeen shots last weekend weekend, the third best of anyone in the division, although it's hard to determine whether or not this was down to a poorly organised Derby defence. One player to watch out will be Sorba Thomas, the 22-year-old winger impressed on his Championship debut against Derby, winning man of the match and assisting Huddersfield's leveller. Fulham will want to avoid conceding cheap free kicks and corners considering his dead ball ability. Another one to keep an eye on will be the one-time perennial Fulham transfer target Jordan Rhodes, who joined the Terriers this summer. Whilst the veteran might not be as potent as he once was, netting 7 times in 36 appearances for Sheffield Wednesday last season, he can definitely pose problems and has a strong scoring record against Fulham, finding the net three times in five league outings.

Our opening day result against Middlesbrough was a tough one to take. Fulham were 1-0 up with 70% possession around the 70-minute mark only for a lapse in concentration to lead to Boro's first shot on target which found the bottom corner. Before Marc Bola's intervention, Fulham had put together a convincing display, looking comfortable at the back and in control all over the park, the only thing missing was a second goal, which could easily have come with a little more incise passing in the final third. Considering Marco Silva has been with the side for little over a month it was incredibly pleasing to see some quick passing and progressive forward play which he has already instilled in the team and I would expect that to only get better from here. With Reed back to full training and likely to play a part, I'd expect us to make it tough for Huddersfield to get through our defence too often and if we can take the lead as we did last weekend, the signs are there that we have the ability to kick on and this time grab another goal or two especially if Mitrovic can regain some form which I'm confident he will do sooner rather than later.

Whilst this could be a tough game on the road, Fulham have a fine record against Huddersfield since 2014, winning seven out of ten matches and losing only once, towards the end of Slavisa Jokanovic's reign. I believe we'll have too much for Huddersfield again and if we grab the first goal I think we can see the game out this time, I'm going for a 2-0 win to Fulham. I wouldn't make too many changes to the line-up that we saw last weekend but if Rodak is available once again then I'd like to see him start in goal (although I'm not convinced Silva will agree). It may seem harsh to drop Gazzaniga who in all honesty didn't have a whole lot to do and certainly didn't do anything too wrong (maybe he could have caught a couple of balls into the box instead of punching), but if Rodak can reproduce his 19/20 form then I see no reason why he shouldn't be our starting keeper. I would also make a change at left back. There has been much debate about who should start between Bryan and Robinson and defensively I feel there is not a massive amount between them but I feel Bryan has more to offer in attack and could bring the best out of Mitrovic once again after assisting him six times in the 19/20 season. I also thought he looked very strong against Charlton when he came on and made a difference down the left-hand side.

MY FULHAM XI (4-2-3-1): Rodak; Tete, Bryan, Adarabioyo, Ream; Francois, Onomah; Wilson, Kebano, Carvalho, Mitrovic.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/08/up-next-huddersfield-a/

WhiteJC

Fulham Finalise Deal For Middlesbrough Target But Player Must Quarantine

Fulham are closing in on Middlesbrough target Rodrigo Muniz after finalising the details of a transfer with the striker's club Flamengo.

Muniz has been at the centre of a transfer tussle in recent weeks as both Fulham and Middlesbrough have been trying to bring him to the Championship.

It appears Fulham have now won the race and they have finalised a deal, according to Brazilian outlet Globoesporte.

It is claimed that Fulham will pay €8m for Muniz, while Flamengo will hold a clause entitling them to 25 per cent of any future sale.

Middlesbrough also wanted Muniz and held discussions with Flamengo and the player's representatives.

Muniz will now quarantine in Spain for ten days before he is then able to undergo a medical and sign his Fulham contract.

The striker was also on the radar of Jose Mourinho's Roma as a potential alternative to Tammy Abraham.

With Fulham relegated from the Premier League last season, manager Marco Silva will be hoping the addition of Muniz serves as an additional boost to their chances of earning promotion at the first time of asking.

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/08/13/fulham-finalise-deal-for-middlesbrough-target-but-player-must-quarantine/523236/

WhiteJC

Watch or Listen to #HUDFUL Live!

Fans overseas can watch Fulham's clash with Huddersfield Town this Saturday, live on FFCtv.

Marco Silva's side travel to the John Smith's Stadium to take on the Terriers in a 3pm kick-off on Saturday 14th August.

Supporters based outside the UK & Ireland can watch all the action unfold on FFCtv, with a season-long pass (£170) or an indivdiual overseas Huddersfield v Fulham Match Pass (£10) available to buy now.

For Fulham fans overseas, our 2021/22 International Live Video Pass offers significant savings against purchasing individual match passes - providing access to watch all available Fulham games, as well as live audio at all fixtures and video on demand.

Live video coverage of Huddersfield Town v Fulham begins from 2:30pm BST.

BUY FFCTV SUBSCRIPTION

Supporters based in the UK and Ireland not attending the match can follow the game with our live audio commentary service hosted by Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid. A monthly or seasonal FFCtv subscription is required, with coverage beginning from 2:45pm.

To watch or listen live, fans must have an active FFCtv subscription with the correct entitlements, as well as be logged in to their OneFulham Account.

FOLLOW THE ACTION ON THE MATCH CENTRE & APP

Watch or listen from the Huddersfield Town v Fulham Match Centre on desktop/laptop, or access the match via the Official Fulham FC App.

The Match Centre also holds the latest minute-by-minue commentary, team line-ups, stats and scores from around the grounds.

For matchday support, visit our streaming guide or contact [email protected]

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/august/Watch-or-Listen-to-HUDFUL-Live-/

WhiteJC

A Fulham fan's preview of tomorrow's game against Huddersfield Town

Seb from Fulham fan blog HammyEnd.com has kindly given us a preview of tomorrow's game from a Fulham perspective.

You can also read my Huddersfield Town skewed preview over on their blog if you like.

What can Huddersfield Town fan's expect to see from Fulham on Saturday?
Huddersfield fans can expect to see a team which is defensively very solid, even in the top tier last season we didn't concede a bucket load of goals, our problems always lied with going forward, which new manager Marco Silva appears to have sorted out. Based on the 90 minutes v Middlesbrough last weekend we seem a lot more inventive going forward then we were under Scott Parker and a team willing to try new things, there's a lot to be optimistic about already and Marco only arrived a month ago!

Who is the player we should watch out for?
You can never discount Aleksander Mitrovic in the second division, the top goalscorer in our last campaign and when provided with the service is virtually unplayable on his day. Fabio Carvalho is another name getting the Fulham fans excited, the youngster broke into our starting eleven at the end of our Premier League campaign and is everything you want in a winger, pace, ability and can beat a man, Harry Wilson also excelled in his first game for us so he's definitely one to look out for.

What do you think about your new manager?
After 2 years of watching the most repetitive football you could ever see, Marco Silva has been a breath of fresh air so far, while I'm aware we are only one game into a 46 game campaign, it's brilliant to see forward thinking football back at The Cottage. He's come in with a very big reputation, knew the players he wanted and has worked very closely with the board to make that happen, and i believe the only way is up with Marco in charge.

What do you think your chances are this season?
With the squad we have we should be aiming to bounce back to the premier league at the first attempt with no excuses, the teams more then capable of that and any less is frankly a disappointment, however it is the championship and anything can happen. There are a lot of good teams around us so we're not taking anything for granted

What are your thoughts on Huddersfield Town?
In Huddersfield i see a team which is rebuilding, last year comes across as a very dissapointing season for the terriers but i do see you being able to get a higher place finish this year, not necessarily the playoffs but a lot higher then last years 19th. I believe that Jordan Rhoades is also a very good signing for the team and he will play a big role this season.

What's your score prediction for Saturday?
I think Huddersfield Town 0-2 Fulham FC

http://www.terrierspirit.com/a-fulham-fans-preview-of-tomorrows-game-against-huddersfield-town/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva makes Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa claim amid Aston Villa transfer link

Fulham manager Marco Silva has thrown a summer transfer for Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa into doubt despite strong links to Aston Villa and Arsenal this window

Aston Villa have been linked with a move to sign Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa this summer, but Fulham manager Marco Silva wants to keep the Cameroon international beyond the end of the month.

The midfielder reportedly wants to leave Fulham this window amid claims two Premier League clubs are keen on landing the £25m-rated midfielder.

Villa and Arsenal, according to the the Athletic, are both vying for the Cameroon international's signature, which has only stimulated the midfielder's desire to leave Craven Cottage this summer.

Anguissa's future was thrown into the spotlight last weekend after he was left out of Fulham's squad to face Middlesbrough in the Championship, but the midfielder is very much in Silva's plans this season, according the Portuguese.

Silva said: "It's something we will keep inside our football club. With Frank and all the others, I want them 100 per cent involved.

"I want all of them with a desire to work and win football matches in this shirt. All the other things are for us to talk about inside our club."

According to a report from Gazzetta dello Sport , Anguissa could be heading to Villa Park before the August 31 transfer window deadline, as Villa are leading the chase to sign the Fulham star, despite Silva's claims.

Although, Villa's head coach Dean Smith has today dropped a hint that he is pleased with the club's business ahead of the start of the 2021/22 Premier League season.

"I think we're in a good place," Smith told broadcasters from Bodymoor Heath ahead of Watford tomorrow, "our business has been good, we've raised £100million for a young lad who came through the academy here at Aston Villa. And we've made him into a British record transfer.

"I know a lot of people outside and certainly inside are happy with our business."

On new faces coming into Villa, Smith replied: "No, I think we're quite satisfied where we're at at the moment, we've got a really healthy squad. Some good numbers in there and there will be some outgoings on loan before the window closes."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marco-silva-makes-andre-frank-21309546

WhiteJC

Silva: Carvalho should sign new Fulham contract

Fabio Carvalho has been urged to sign a new Fulham contract for the good of this career.

Boss Marco Silva hinted the speculation over the 18-year-old's future was doing the teenager no good,

There is interest from a host of clubs in a young player who hit the headlines after scoring on his Premier League debut against Southampton last season.

He has turned down an initial offer from Fulham as he enters the final year of his current deal, but Silva insists his future is with the club that developed him.

"I think it's important for us that he signs, and to be honest with you, it's important for him," Silva said.

"He came from the academy and Fabio is performing well. He is in the team. But I need him to concentrate on his football."

Silva also believes Aleksandar Mitrovic is closer to full fitness.

The striker scored 26 times to win the Championship's Golden Boot in 2020, but had little influence in last Sunday's 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough.

Silva is only too aware the pressure is on a striker to repeat the feat a second time.

"From Mitro there is 100% desire," he said.

"He's working hard to get fitter and in the best condition. Of course, he is expected to score in all the matches, and he wants to score in every single match.

"If he doesn't, he has to search for answers in the next one."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/silva-carvalho-should-sign-new-fulham-contract

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Huddersfield Town vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview of Huddersfield Town vs. Fulham and our friend Jeremy King joined us who is a Huddersfield Town supporter. You get both club perspectives for this match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/8/13/22623927/cottage-talk-preview-huddersfield-town-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Huddersfield Town can finally unleash missing X-factor starting with Fulham game

Carlos Corberan's side will be keen to get off on the right foot in their first home game of the season - and their first in front of fans for 18 months. That could be important...

Returning to the John Smith's Stadium will be an emotional landmark occasion for Terriers fans as for the first time since February 2020, fans are allowed to return to where their hearts truly lie. Sure, family and friends are more important in the grand scheme of things, but when did they ever win a trophy?

The lucky among you have already seen Huddersfield Town at several away games, both friendly and competitive, but that will only have served to whet the appetite for that old familiar seat surrounded by those old familiar faces. Hello Mel, good to finally see you again.

You don't need us to tell you what a special day it is though; you either already feel those butterflies or you're never going to. Both approaches are valid, but either way, reading about it is old hat by now.

So let's talk about the players' experience. This is going to be a profoundly different occasion for them, many of whom will be playing at home in front of their own supporters for the first time.

Of the starting lineup from the Derby game last week, only Ryan Schofield and Jonathan Hogg had actually played a competitive home game in front of fans during their current spell at the club – though of course Duane Holmes, Jordan Rhodes and Danny Ward all did so many moons ago too.

We're not just trying consider the players' feelings for the sake of sentiment here: there are actual competitive considerations to take into account.

Home advantage is a real thing, and some of that is situational for the players: they are less road-weary, they are in their familiar groove, and will probably have spent the night in their own beds rather than a hotel.

But if that was the whole story, Carlisle United and Plymouth Argyle would be the most successful clubs in the country. The last 18 months have been anywhere between frightfully inconvenient and genuinely nightmarish for everyone, but dispassionate statisticians can rejoice in having over a year's worth of data on an age old question: how much a part do the fans play in home and away form?

Quite a big one, as it turns out. In the three-and-three-quarter Championship seasons from 2016/17 to the postponement of the 2019/20 campaign, the average team won 53% more games, took 41% more points, and scored 27% more goals at home than they did away. Last season, that uplift plummeted to just 22% more wins, 18% more points and a 19% more goals scored.

Town's awful form away from home last year is what drew them into a relegation battle, and all other things being equal, that would only get worse in the season ahead with fans back in attendance.

But of course, all things being equal, they should also see an uplift in their home form – and we've seen that when this side are in full flow and enjoying the comforts of home, they can be a hugely intimidating prospect for opponents.

This century only three bosses have led Huddersfield Town to five straight home league wins: Peter Jackson, David Wagner, and Carlos Corberan.

Long ago as it may seem now, that run under the current gaffer came in November-December last year. With the fans back in the ground, why can't that happen again?

Well, their record of one home win in 12 since then is an excellent reason why not, and nobody at the club will be under any illusions that the fans might have forgotten about that. There is the potential for things to escalate very quickly if things do not start turning around soon.

Just ask Jan Siewert, who was dismissed as head coach immediately after the final whistle last time Fulham visited the John Smith's Stadium, has position having become untenable under considerable fan pressure.

There are three ways things can go for Town now crowds are back. The first is a repeat of that start to the 2019/20 season, when fans were already unhappy going in and were given no reason to believe things were going to improve within the first few games.

The second is that Corberan and hide side are able to distil that passion pouring down from the stands into pure unstoppable adrenaline and turn the stadium into their own private fortress.

We have talked about Town lacking an X-factor this season, and while supporters can't ping a ball in behind the back four from midfield (stewards and referees frown on that sort of thing), they can motivate a side to run those last five yards just that little bit harder and quicker. The numbers tell us how crucially important that can be.

Irritatingly enough for our sense of narrative structure, the third way it can go – and most likely – is...somewhere in between.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-town-x-factor-fulham-21310023

WhiteJC

Brazilian media outlet confirms Flamengo starlets' departure to Fulham

After much speculation about the future of Rodrigo Muniz, the soap opera came to an end. Flamengo agreed to sell the 20-year-old striker to Fulham.

TNT Sports reports the Brazilian club will receive €8 million for the transfer and 25-percent more of a possible future sale. Muniz is recently recovering from Covid-19 and even returned to training with the Rio Janeiro-based club.

When it comes to the following process of this transfer, the 20-year-old will travel to Spain, where he will be quarantined for ten days before presenting himself to the English side for medical examinations and signing the contract.

Despite being in the Championship this season, Fulham beat out other European clubs such as Atlético Madrid and KRC Genk. The two clubs presented official offers, but whose transfer sums left Flamengo going with Fulham's for the striker.

Muniz has made 24 appearances for Flamengo during his stint with the South American club, where he's scored five goals and registered one assist. The Brazilian striker will now be tasked with helping Fulham earn a promotion to the Premier League this season.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/08/14/brazilian-media-outlet-confirms-flamengo-starlets-departure-to-fulham/