Saturday Fulham Stuff - 28/08/21...

Started by WhiteJC, August 28, 2021, 12:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

O'Neill: 'Fulham a good yardstick'

Boss relishing Craven Cottage clash
    Potters will be going head-to-head with another unbeaten side
    Saturday's game in West London kicks-off at 3pm

Michael O'Neill believes this weekend's meeting with Fulham will provide a good gauge as to the progress his Stoke City side have made.

Both teams have made unbeaten starts to the 21/22 Championship and sit on 10 points from four games as they head into Saturday's game at Craven Cottage (kick-off 3pm).

The Potters start has pleased O'Neill but he knows they face a test of their credentials against the West London outfit, who spent last season in the Premier League.

"They (Fulham) seem to be everyone's favourites for automatic promotion," he said. "They've kept their squad together that they had last season in the Premier League.

"It'll be a tough game, as tough as you can get in this league.

"I don't think it will define us as a team, it'll give us an indication of where we are at this minute in time. It's a great game for us. They will present a challenge because they've got some very, very good attacking players but we carry our own threat as well.

"It will be a challenge for us to limit them to opportunities and particularly Aleksandar Mitrovic. We've had three clean sheets out of six games, that's a nice habit to have, and hopefully we'll have more of the same on Saturday."

Michael O'Neill

O'Neill himself is relishing the challenge that will face him at Craven Cottage and he is convinced his players share the same sense of anticipation.

He added: "You want to be playing every week with something at stake, that's important. We've had a good start to the season and with that you build a positive atmosphere around the club and expectation.

"Expectation is a good thing, it's not something as a squad we should fear, we should relish it actually because it means we're at the right end of the table and doing a lot of things that are positive.

"This is a good game. It's early in the season still, it comes at a good time just before the break for international football. We've got some players that will leave after this game but it will give us a good indication of where we feel we are at this minute in time."

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2021/august/O-Neill-Fulham-a-good-yardstick-/

WhiteJC

'Could be a fine signing for Wolves' – Fulham fielding Premier League interest in defender: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Tosin Adarabioyo has been excellent at the heart of defence since arriving at Craven Cottage from Manchester City last season. The 23-year-old has two years left on his current deal in the capital but is subject to interest from Wolverhampton Wanderers, Football League World can reveal exclusively.

His contract situation would suggest only a significant bid would be enough for Fulham to buckle with so little time left in the window to get a replacement.

The Man City product looked the part in 33 top-flight appearances last term, despite their relegation the Cottagers posted the 13th best defensive record and Adarabioyo was huge part of that.

Here, we get the thoughts of a selection of FLW writers on whether Tosin Adarabioyo would be a good signing for Wolves and if he is ready for a Premier League return...

George Dagless

I think it could be a fine signing for Wolves.

Fulham are going to be eager to keep him and the story is that they are asking for a lot of money so I do expect the Cottagers to manage to hold onto him now at this late stage of the window, unless Wolves offer huge money.

He would, though, if he joined, be a good signing for Wolves, with him possessing all the qualities you want from a modern centre-half.

He's strong, great on the ball, reads the game well and has good pace making him a serious obstacle to every attacker who wants to try and get past him.

Certainly, he showed last season he's good enough for Premier League football and we'll just have to see if Wolves are going to get him.

Ned Holmes

This could be a fantastic signing for Wolves.

Adarabioyo is a player that I've been a huge fan of since he first joined Blackburn on loan and the last few years have seen him go from strength to strength.

He was one of the club's more impressive players last season and I've got no doubt that he's ready for Premier League football.

Defensively he's composed and solid, while his ability on the ball should mean he slots in well at Wolves.

It would be a massive blow for Fulham to lose a player that is, in my eyes, one of the top two or three best defenders in the Championship.

Adam Jones

Tosin Adarabioyo is an extremely talented player and at 23, there is still plenty of time for him to become a Premier League-quality player whether you think he's good enough yet or not.

His age and this room for improvement is exactly why this would be a good signing for Wolverhampton Wanderers and depending on how he performs, he could potentially become a long-term option at the back for the West Midlands side like Conor Coady has.

The fact Wolves operate with a back five may also suit Adarabioyo as he settles into life at Molineux, potentially making mistakes less costly with two other central defenders to cover.

After spending just one full season in the Premier League during his career, these mistakes will be inevitable and this lack of experience is probably one of the only downsides of signing him.

However, he did play regularly for Fulham last term and made an impressive 33 appearances in the top flight during the 2020/21 campaign, so he will already be accustomed to Premier League football despite dropping down a tier.

He might not be the perfect signing, but he has the potential to become a fan favourite at Wolves and his signature can only help to improve Bruno Lage's quality and depth in defence.

He's ready to make the step up again and slot in seamlessly at the back, now is the time for him to step up to the plate and ensure he doesn't suffer a second successive relegation.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/could-be-a-fine-signing-for-wolves-fulham-fielding-premier-league-interest-in-defender-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Fulham defender finalises permanent Craven Cottage exit

Fulham have recently announced that Maxime Le Marchand has joined RC Strasbourg for an undisclosed fee this summer.

The defender signed for the Cottagers back in 2018, having previously been on the books with the likes of Le Havre and Nice earlier in his career.

He made 48 appearances in total for the London-based club, but found regular minutes hard to come by in recent seasons, which has seen him depart Craven Cottage on a permanent basis.

Le Marchand made just four appearances for the Cottagers last term, as they were relegated back into the Championship after a brief spell in the top-flight.

The 31-year-old spent part of last year's campaign on loan with Belgian side Royal Antwerp, as he went in search of regular minutes.

He's joined an RC Strasbourg side that finished 15th in the Ligue 1 table last term, and they'll be hoping for an improved finish in those standings this season.

Speaking to Fulham's official website after Le Marchand's departure was confirmed, Tony Khan wished the defender well in his future endeavours.

"I want to wish Maxime all the best for the next step of his career at Strasbourg. He's a talented defender, and he's also a very kind person, earning the moniker of 'nicest man in the world' from his teammates and our staff.

"We very much enjoyed and value his contributions to Fulham since he first joined us in 2018; he'll be missed. Good luck Max!"

Fulham are set to return to action this weekend, when they take on Stoke City, in what could potentially be a tricky test for Marco Silva's side at Craven Cottage.

The Verdict:

This is the best move for all parties involved.

Le Marchand has been a fantastic servant to the club when called upon, but he will be looking to find regular minutes elsewhere moving forwards.

Fulham already have stronger options available to them in a similar position, with the likes of Alfie Mawson, Tosin Adarabioyo and Tim Ream being just some of the names ahead of him in the pecking order at this moment in time.

It'll be interesting to see whether Fulham reinvest the funds from this sale into other areas of their squad before the summer transfer window reaches a conclusion.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-defender-finalises-permanent-craven-cottage-exit/

WhiteJC

Man United outcast Phil Jones offered career lifeline at Championship side Fulham

The 29-year-old hasn't kicked a ball at senior level since January 2020 but he could be on the move out of Old Trafford before Tuesday's transfer deadline

Manchester United's forgotten man Phil Jones is wanted by Championship side Fulham.

The 29-year-old defender has endured a rotten time in recent years, having been plagued by injuries and has hardly featured at first-team level.

Jones is working his way back to full fitness after more than a year out with a knee injury.

His last senior appearance for United came way back in January 2020, in a 6-1 FA Cup win over Tranmere Rovers where he even got on the scoresheet.

That was before the height of the Covid-19 pandemic and when terms like 'social distancing' were not even in our lexicon.

Phil Jones' last game for Manchester United was way back in January 2020

However, a report now claims that Marco Silva's side are exploring the possibility of signing Jones on a loan deal before the summer transfer window closes on Tuesday night.

Fulham were relegated from the Premier League last season but have made a fine start as they bid for an immediate return.

Silva's side are unbeaten and joint-top of the division. The addition of a top flight title winner in Jones (he has a winner's medal from the 2012-13 season) would appeal to the Cottagers but there are obvious question marks over his fitness.

Marco Silva, manager of Fulham

And those issues are likely to be heavily challenged in the Championship, a relentless division with games coming thick and fast.

This year marks a decade at Old Trafford for Jones, after arriving from Blackburn Rovers in 2011. His current contract runs until 2023.

Earlier this week former United defender Rio Ferdinand slammed his ex-teammate for staying at the club.

"I think he should've gone ages ago. He should've gone before Chris Smalling went. Find a new club and play some football," Ferdinand told Vibe with FIVE.

"I am baffled at how he's still been given a new deal at the club given his past few years at the club. It just doesn't make sense to me how you get a new deal.

"I remember back in the day you'd have to do some absolute graft to get a new deal. You'd have to be putting in performances, you'd have to be a vital member of the team. Phil Jones isn't that."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/outcast-phil-jones-career-lifeline-24850868

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham can sign Championship winner for free, but Silva misses out on £2.7m man

Fulham target Tom Trybull has been released by Norwich City but the Championship leaders have missed out on Sporting Lisbon youngster Bruno Paz. 

As Reading stormed to the Premier League for the very first time back in 2006, Steve Coppell's Royals accumulated a points total fit for a King, picking up a staggering 106 en route to the second-tier title.

Now, we are not suggesting that Fulham are going to smash that history-making tally out the proverbial park. 

But, with a squad boasting the likes of Jean Michel Seri, Andre-Franck Zambo Anguissa, Tosin Adarabioyo, Harry Wilson, Kenny Tete, Joe Bryan, Antonee Robinson, Fabio Carvalho and the prolific Aleksandar Mitrovic, don't be too surprised if Fulham come close to hitting triple-figures.

Could Tom Trybull be another piece in Marco Silva's jigsaw?

A run of three wins out of four to start the season – only Middlesbrough have taken points off Marco Silva's side so far – means the Cottagers are already top of the table with new £7 million striker Rodrigo Muniz yet to make his mark.

And Fulham could still add another proven Championship talent to their star-studded squad – the second-tier Galacticos, if you will.

The Telegraph reported a few weeks ago that Marco Silva is keen to get his mitts on German midfielder Tom Trybull, an aggressive, tough-tackling enforcer who helped Norwich cruise the league back in 2018/19.

And their task has just become that little bit easier. Former Werder Bremen ace Trybull is now available on a free transfer, his contract torn up by Norwich on Thursday afternoon.

But while one door opens, another closes. 

Fulham were linked with another deep-lying midfielder in the shape of 23-year-old Sporting Lisbon ace Bruno Paz, via Record.

The £2.7 million-rated enforcer has now joined Liga Pro outfit Farense on loan until the end of this season instead, however.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/08/27/report-fulham-can-sign-championship-winner-for-free-but-silva-misses-out-on-2-7m-man/

WhiteJC

New Deal For Mitro

We are delighted to announce that Aleksandar Mitrović has committed his future to the Club by signing a new contract.

The striker has agreed a five-year deal, keeping him at Fulham until the summer of 2026.

Catching up with FFCtv after signing, Mitro said: "It feels amazing. It's been my home now for three or four years so I'm really happy to sign my contract for the next five years.

"I'm home, and I'm happy that I'm staying home for the next five years.
Aleksandar Mitrović

"I want to thank Tony Khan, and of course the Owner and everyone at the Club, for making me feel at home and showing how much they believe in me and how much they love me here, so I'm really happy."

Tony Khan added: "I'm thrilled to announce that we've agreed to a contract extension to keep Aleksandar Mitrović at Fulham Football Club.

"Mitro has been a driving force in both of our recent promotion campaigns in 2018 and 2020, as he's scored many important goals and created numerous indelible memories for Fulham.

"He's always embraced the love of our supporters, and he's been a loyal friend to so many of us at the Club, he really cares about Fulham and our people, and still he continues to produce joy for us on and off the pitch; I'm grateful to Mitro for his allegiance to our Club and our supporters.

"Come on Fulham!"

Mitrović has begun the 2021/22 campaign in scintillating form, notching in each of his previous three outings, while also adding an assist to his tally when he brilliantly set up Ivan Cavaleiro in Huddersfield.

He's picked up where he left off in the Championship, when he scored 26 goals to claim the Golden Boot – despite playing fewer matches than his nearest challengers – as Fulham won promotion via the Play-Offs a year ago.

His new deal will allow him to add to his already immaculate Fulham record, which has seen him score 56 times in 135 outings.

Mitrović and his teammates will now be looking to continue their fine start to the campaign, as they aim to secure a third consecutive promotion to the Premier League.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/august/New-Deal-For-Mitro/

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic: Serbia striker signs new Fulham contract until 2026

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 41 goals in 61 appearances in the Championship for Fulham

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has signed a new five-year contract with the Championship club.

The 26-year-old Serbia international has scored 56 goals in 135 appearances for the west London club since joining in January 2018, initially on loan.

Mitrovic will now remain at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2026.

"I want to thank everyone at the club for making me feel at home and showing how much they believe in me and how much they love me here," he said.

Former Partizan, Anderlecht and Newcastle United man Mitrovic played an influential role in Fulham's promotions to the Premier League in 2017-18 and 2019-20.

He scored 12 goals in 20 outings after joining on loan from the Magpies at the start of 2018, and made the switch permanent that summer.

After relegation from the Premier League in 2018-19, he netted 26 times as Fulham went back up through the play-offs a year ago.

He only netted three league goals last season as the Whites dropped out of the top flight again, but Mitrovic has begun the new Championship campaign with three goals in four outings.

"Mitro has been a driving force in both of our recent promotion campaigns, as he's scored many important goals and created numerous indelible memories for Fulham," Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan told the club website.

"He's always embraced the love of our supporters, he really cares about Fulham and he continues to produce joy for us on and off the pitch."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58354705

WhiteJC

Wilson starts: The predicted Fulham XI to face Stoke

Fulham v Stoke City could be one of the picks of the Sky Bet Championship weekend at Craven Cottage, with both sides enjoying good starts to the campaign.

The home side have begun particularly well with them top of the tree after four games, though the Potters are level with them on points and only behind on goal difference.

Indeed, it's an early chance for both to underline their promotion credentials ahead of the international break and this is how we could see Marco Silva line his side up:

Harry Wilson could return from suspension just in time if Silva opts to rest Fabio Carvalho further – he picked up an injury last time out against Hull.

Indeed, the likes of Kenny Tete and Tim Ream also face potential fitness tests and so there could be a few late calls for Marco Silva to make.

Further forwards, though, Aleksandar Mitrovic will surely lead the line with him back among the goals this season and putting pen to paper to sign a new contract at the end of this week.

The Serbian looks motivated once more and he'll be relishing the chance to take the game to a Stoke side that, defensively, has looked pretty solid so far despite its youthful nature.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wilson-starts-the-predicted-fulham-xi-to-face-stoke/

WhiteJC

David Prutton issues pre-match prediction ahead of Fulham's clash with Stoke City

Fulham will be looking to remain unbeaten in the Championship, when they return to action this weekend against Stoke City.

The Cottagers are currently sat top of the second-tier standings after their opening four matches of this year's campaign, as they look to win promotion back into the Premier League at the first time of asking.

They ran out comfortable 2-0 winners over Birmingham City in midweek, as Marco Silva's men progressed to the Third Round of the EFL Cup.

But they won't have it all their way this weekend, as they prepare to take on a Stoke City side that have made a positive start to the 2021/22 campaign, under the watchful eye of Michael O'Neill.

The Potters are sat third in the Championship table, and will fancy their chances of maintaining their own unbeaten start to the new league campaign.

Sky Sports' EFL pundit David Prutton issued his thoughts ahead of the game at Craven Cottage, and predicted that Marco Silva's side would run out narrow 2-1 winners on the day.

"We knew Aleksandar Mitrovic would score goals in this league. And now we know Fabio Carvalho will too. The teenager looks a sensation and Fulham have just looked so threatening in the early stages of this season as a result.

"Stoke have also enjoyed a brilliant start under Michael O'Neill. They have as many points as Fulham and could be right up there this season. This is a real tough test of their credentials, though. Home win, just."

The Verdict:

I have to agree with Prutton here.

Even though Stoke City have really impressed in the early stages of this year's campaign, you would imagine that Fulham's attacking qualities will edge them over the line in this one.

If the likes of Harry Wilson and Fabio Carvalho are at their best, then they'll cause Michael O'Neill's side a number of problems at Craven Cottage this weekend.

It's likely to be a closely-fought battle between both teams though, as they look to build on positive starts to this year's campaign.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/david-prutton-issues-pre-match-prediction-ahead-of-fulhams-clash-with-stoke-city/

WhiteJC

Mitrovic signs new five-year Fulham deal

Aleksandar Mitrovic has signed a new five-year contract with Fulham, the club announced this morning.

The Serbian striker, who has scored 56 goals in 135 appearances for the Whites, will now remain at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2026.

Mitrovic, who had been linked with moves away this summer after Fulham's relegation from the Premier League, told FFCTV: "It feels amazing. It's been my home now for three or four years so I'm really happy to sign my contract for the next five years. I want to thank Tony Khan, and of course the owner and everyone at the club, for making me feel at home and showing how much they believe in me and how much they love me here, so I'm really happy."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/08/mitrovic-signs-new-five-year-fulham-deal/

WhiteJC

Mitrovic signs new five-year Fulham contract

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has signed a new five-year contract.

The Serbia international, 26, has scored 56 goals in 135 appearances for the Whites since joining from Newcastle in January 2018, initially on loan.

"I want to thank everyone at the club for making me feel at home and showing how much they believe in me and how much they love me here," he said.

Mitrovic only scored three Premier League last season and was a fringe player for much of an unhappy campaign which ended in relegation back to the Championship.

But he has begun this season with three goals in four matches, enjoying a return to form under new boss Marco Silva,

"Mitro has been a driving force in both of our recent promotion campaigns, as he's scored many important goals and created numerous indelible memories for Fulham," vice-chairman Tony Khan told the club website.

"He's always embraced the love of our supporters, he really cares about Fulham and he continues to produce joy for us on and off the pitch."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/mitrovic-signs-new-five-year-fulham-contarct

WhiteJC

Fulham lining up loan move for Carvalho

Reports from Portugal suggest that Fulham head coach Marco Silva may be close to a reunion with William Carvalho at Craven Cottage.

The Championship club are interested in taking the 29 year-old defensive midfielder on an initial loan, with an option to turn the deal into a permanent transfer should Fulham win promotion back to the Premier League. Silva managed Carvalho during his time with Sporting Lisbon and, although Betis are hoping to seal a permanent exit for the Portuguese international before the summer transfer window, they are apparently open to Fulham's proposal.

Carvalho has been linked with moves to West Ham United and Norwich City in recent days, but both Premier League clubs have apparently baulked at his current wage demands. The midfielder, who won the Portuguese title and Cup during his time at Sporting, was part of the Portuguese squad that won Euro 2016 and the 2018/2019 Nations League and would prove a useful addition with doubts still persisting about when Harrison Reed will be fit to retake his role in front of the Fulham back four.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/08/fulham-lining-up-loan-move-for-carvalho/

WhiteJC

Olakigbe earns England U18s call-up

Fulham winger Michael Olakigbe has earned a first England U18s for the forthcoming fixture against Wales.

The teenager, who has scored twice in two fixtures for Steve Wigley's under 18s side this season, has been named in Paul Williams' 22-man squad for the training camp that precedes the match against Wales in Newport next Friday.

The versatile Olakgibe, who can play on either wing, as a number ten or up front, has previously been capped at under-17 level by England.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/08/olakigbe-earns-england-u18s-call-up/

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with surprise swoop for 68-cap international

Fulham head coach Marco Silva is said to be eyeing up a reunion with Portugal international William Carvalho with a loan deal potentially about to happen, per Real Betis reporter Alberto Pintado.

The 29-year-old midfielder has been linked with a switch to Premier League side Norwich City by Sky Sports, but it seems as though the Cottagers are looking to pip the Canaries to the post before the transfer deadline.

Carvalho played under Silva when he was manager of Sporting Lisbon between 2014 and 2015, eventually remaining at the Portuguese giants until 2018 when he joined Real Betis of La Liga.

The defensive midfielder has picked up 68 caps for Portugal and was a part of the Euro 2020 squad, appearing in the first two matches against Hungary and Germany.

Fulham are thought to be interested in loaning Carvalho for the 2021-22 season with the obligation to purchase the midfielder if they are promoted to the Premier League, and whilst Betis would prefer a permanent transfer they aren't averse to a loan deal as long as the terms are right, according to Pintado.

The Verdict

Fulham's midfield is already extremely stacked and Carvalho's addition would take it to the next level.

Of course you'd have to expect that at least one will be heading out of the door with Andre-Franck Zambo Anguissa the most likely due to the transfer links surrounding his name, and if that's the case Carvalho would be a great replacement with a lot of pedigree.

At this stage in his career though the Portuguese veteran would surely rather take a punt at playing in the Premier League than dropping down to the Championship.

Maybe though the pull of working with Silva again will be too strong and if it is, it would be a sensational coup for the Cottagers.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-linked-with-surprise-swoop-for-68-cap-international/

WhiteJC

What Is This USMNT Guy's Deal: Antonee Robinson

Welcome back to What Is This USMNT Guy's Deal,, a regular series in which Defector selects a name from the myriad number of exciting young American soccer men playing in Europe and answers the question: What is this USMNT guy's deal?

There is a belief, a somewhat logical belief, among American soccer fans that the English second-division frankly ain't poo. It is not the top level of the pyramid after all, clubs do not get to take part in continental competition, and there are way too many teams. When it comes time to score an American's transfer to a European club, the International League Prestige Simulator tends to favor, say, Reggie Cannon playing for the worst team in Portugal over Duane Holmes steady working for Huddersfield Town.

I am here today to tell you this is bunk. The Championship is no farm league. Second-tier clubs often smoke EPL teams in cup competition, and the last few waves of freshly promoted sides have more than held their own against their galactically wealthy foes. The English soccer pyramid is such that second-division clubs have just as much support as many of their larger counterparts and can comfortably compete given a Premier League cash infusion, or, hell, win the league two years after promotion. Leeds finished within two damn points of Arsenal last year and had one of the best midfielders in the league. Championship players command legit transfer fees and do cool stuff once they move up to better leagues. It's good soccer, certainly better than MLS.

All of which is to say, there is no reason to freak out about Antonee Robinson playing a season in the Championship with Fulham.

Who Does He Play For?
Like it says right up in the intro, Robinson plays for Fulham. He came up through the Everton youth system, though he never cracked the first team. Since then, he spent three years in the Championship—one with Bolton, two with Wigan—where he distinguished himself as one of the best young left backs in the league. After an excellent 2019 season, Robinson was highly coveted, and he was basically all set to transfer to AC Milan for $13 million when a medical test revealed a slight heart condition. Because AC Milan left the transfer process so late in the window, he couldn't undergo more tests in time for the move to be completed, so he went back to Wigan (who sucked mondo ass) before moving up the Premier League with Fulham last season.

Robinson played in 28 Premier League games for Fulham last year, and played well whenever I watched, but because he was yet again bound to a crappy team, he spent most of his time frantically defending and not doing any of the cool forward-moving stuff he did in a USMNT jersey. He'd often play alongside fellow American Tim Ream, and while Fulham's defense wasn't relegation-worthy on its own terms, their attack managed the second-fewest goals in the league (less than one per match) so they dropped back down to the Championship. Rumors abounded this summer of a move to Manchester City to play for future USMNT boss Pep Guardiola, though they went nowhere.

Two Americans on City would have been cool, and Guardiola would have found a way to make use, even if as a backup, for a player of Robinson's quality. But USMNT fans should be happy that Robinson now gets to play on one of the best teams in the Championship, a team so good he can finally do more than defend his own box for the majority of the game. He clearly has the pedigree to play for a great team, and from a U.S. perspective, that matters more than where he's playing at the moment. Fulham are currently top of the table with a plus-seven goal differential through four games. He's got a goal and an assist already this year. It turns out you can have fun and do more cool stuff when your team isn't overmatched.

How Does He Play?
Here's why Robinson in particular benefits from his current club situation: he loves to get forward from the left fullback slot, and he's real damn good at it. During his last spell in the Championship, Robinson graded out as one of the most prolific and accurate crossers at his position, as well as one of the most effective runners. His directness is his greatest asset, and for a team that wants to play balls up the field quickly and fly up the wings, Robinson is the exact sort of left back you want.

What made him such a confusing potential fit with Manchester City is his relatively weaker technical skill on the ball. He's more of a runner and an incisive crosser than a creative fullback in the interior, which doesn't mean he's, like, bad, it just means he's a true fullback and not a converted midfielder. He doesn't really have to break defenders down with his dribble to produce value. Defensively, he's a pretty complete player, with the strength and speed to chase down long balls and press opponents, the skill to win balls back and force bad passes, and the brain to stay in the right spot out on the flank.

Wonderteen Index
The Wonderteen Index is a holistic, objective metric that analyzes a player's full array of skills and talents, distilling it all into a single number that corresponds to their ultimate potential and the likelihood that they will assume the title of Wonderteen.

Robinson is 24, and he plays one of the least glamorous positions on the pitch for a team called the Cottagers. Not exactly glitzy, or, well, teen-aged. This is not to say he's not a cool guy who can do cool stuff, so we're giving him 3 out of 8 on the Wonderteen Index.

Can He Play Right Back?
The U.S.'s European corps is absolutely silly with right backs, enough to stock a full XI. And so it is important to determine whether or not the USMNT guy of the week can play the position.

You're god damned right he can! But you do not want to play the position against him:

How Does He Fit In With The U.S. Team?
Quite well. The team is overstuffed with fullbacks, but Robinson is one of the few who is a natural left back. If the team is going to play Christian Pulisic out on the left wing, Robinson is the perfect fit behind him. He's more than able to cover for them, and he's liable to spring them up the flank with a nice pass. Pulisic also likes to drift into the middle, which would make space for Robinson to get into position in his most dangerous zone. Gregg Berhalter is still figuring out his go-to formations, and Robinson found himself on the bench for the USMNT's epic Nations League win against Mexico when Berhalter played a bizarre 5-2-3 formation.

How Close Is He To The Hypothetical Best XI?
If Berhalter plays anything normal, Robinson is the guy. George Bello is on the roster for the upcoming trio of World Cup qualifiers and Sam Vines is legit and cool, but Robinson is clearly the best left back in the pool. Get him out there!

https://defector.com/what-is-this-usmnt-guys-deal-antonee-robinson/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Stoke City: Form, team news & more ahead of Craven Cottage clash

Fulham take on Stoke City this weekend at Craven Cottage as two of the early pace-setters in the Sky Bet Championship go head-to-head in what should be a pretty decent game to take in down by the River Thames.

Fulham top the table with ten points from a possible twelve at this early stage, though the Potters are certainly keeping pace with them also racking up ten points from their opening four matches, sitting third with a slightly worse goal difference than their hosts this weekend.

Certainly, both Marco Silva and Michael O'Neill have managed to get decent tunes out of their teams this season so far, with the Portuguese making good use of the serious talent he has available to him, and O'Neill putting together a neat Potters side that looks hungry and determined – a real improvement on what we've seen in recent seasons at the club.

In terms of team news, the hosts can welcome back Harry Wilson from suspension whilst the likes of Tim Ream and Fabio Carvalho will return after they picked up knocks last time out against Hull in the Championship – Kenny Tete, however, is not fit.

Stoke, meanwhile, will be without Nick Powell as he has been pencilled for a return date in September, whilst Tyrese Campbell and Tashan Oakley-Boothe are upping their training loads after injury but will not feature here.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-v-stoke-city-form-team-news-more-ahead-of-craven-cottage-clash/

WhiteJC

Pre-Stoke Press Conference

It's first versus third in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday afternoon, as league leaders Fulham welcome Stoke City to Craven Cottage.

The two teams sit on 10 points each following unbeaten starts to the campaign, and so Head Coach Marco Silva knows a stern test awaits.

"As always it will be a tough game," he said in Friday's pre-match press conference. "Stoke City are a good side with a good plan, good idea.

"They're clear with their idea of the way they want to play. They will be a tough side to beat, in my opinion.

"They started the season well, they look confident, and they will come here to do their best, and we – Fulham Football Club – at our best level, we can win the game.

"We have our responsibilities in the game. We're playing at home, with our fans behind us, and we have to play at our best."

For a long time, the Potters were associated with a direct style of play, but anyone who saw their winning goal last weekend – a slick, fast team move up the pitch – will know that's no longer the case.

Some are even calling it an early goal of the season contender.

"Of course I saw the goal, and something more," Silva said. "I have to say it was a good open play moment from them and a good goal, no doubt about it.

"If it will be goal of the season, let's see what will happen.

"It definitely was a very good moment, the way they moved inside and finalised at the opposite side, the way they created that moment was really good."

After Stoke, the Whites will have a fortnight until we're back in action, and Silva is hoping to keep the momentum going heading into the international break.

"We've started well, but myself and the football club always want more," he explained. "We respect all our opponents, and nobody has won anything before the game has been played.

"Our way of preparing for this tough competition is to look at each match at the right moment. Now is the moment, over the last three days, that we are preparing for the Stoke City game.

"Of course, going into the international break, it's really important if you can finish this month of August in a good spot, in good shape.

"That would be really good, but it's something that we have to prove tomorrow.

"It will be a very good game, in my opinion, against a tough opponent."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/august/Pre-Stoke-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva provides mixed Fulham injury update ahead of Stoke City clash

Fulham boss Marco Silva has revealed that Kenny Tete is set for a spell out after picking up an injury in the win over Hull last week.

The right-back had enjoyed an impressive start to the campaign but he was forced off after around half an hour against the Tigers. It had been hoped initially that the issue wasn't serious but Silva confirmed to the club's media that it's worse than first feared, but there was positive news on three other players.

"Kenny will be out of the game. It's a bit more serious than expected. Fabio Carvalho and Tim Ream will return, and Harrison Reed is ready."

The Cottagers will be hoping to build on what has been a very promising start to life under the Portuguese boss, having won three and drawn one of their first four league games.

However, it will be a tough test against the Potters, who head to the capital with the same record as Fulham in their four league games, with goal difference putting Silva's men top.

The verdict

This is not good news for Fulham as Tete is an excellent right-back at this level and had done very well in the opening games of the season.

Whilst Silva hasn't gone into detail on how long the Dutch international is out, it's clearly not a positive and fans will hope for more details to emerge in the coming weeks.

Now, it's down to someone else to step up and take their chance in the XI, and the returning three players will be a big boost for tomorrow's game, particularly with Carvalho who has excelled this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/marco-silva-provides-mixed-fulham-injury-update-ahead-of-stoke-city-clash/

WhiteJC

Fulham welcome players back for Stoke game

Fulham welcome back Harry Wilson following suspension to face Stoke – and there is good news for Harrison Reed, Tim Ream and Fabio Carvalho.

The latter two have recovered quickly from knocks sustained in the 2-0 win over Hull last Saturday, and Reed returns from injury. But it appears right-back Kenny Tete will be out for some time.

Tete damaged a hamstring that doesn't require surgery, but does mean Whites are unexpectedly in the market for a new right-back before the window closes on Tuesday.

Boss Marco Silva admitted it's transfer activity he least expected.

"The injury to Kenny Tete changes our plans," he said. "We didn't expect to have to get someone in, but we have to try and get someone in for that position.

"Kenny is going to be out longer than we thought. It's more serious than we first thought."

Long-term absentees Tom Cairney and Terence Kongolo remain sidelined as Fulham go in search of a fifth straight win that will keep at the top of the Championship going into the international break.

Silva said of Cairney: "He's making good progress, but he's not ready for the team yet."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-stars-fit-to-return-against-stoke-but-tete-injury-means-whites-want-new-right-back

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic Signs New Fulham Deal

Fulham have confirmed that striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has signed a new long-term deal at the club.

The Serbian forward has committed to the Cottagers until the summer of 2026.

Aleksandar Mitrovic Commits to Fulham Until 2026

'I'm Home'

Speaking to the club website about his new deal, Mitrovic said: "It feels amazing. It's been my home now for three or four years so I'm really happy to sign my contract for the next five years.

"I want to thank Tony Khan, and of course the owner and everyone at the club, for making me feel at home and showing how much they believe in me and how much they love me here, so I'm really happy."

Tony Khan added:"I'm thrilled to announce that we've agreed to a contract extension to keep Aleksandar Mitrović at Fulham Football Club.

"Mitro has been a driving force in both of our recent promotion campaigns in 2018 and 2020, as he's scored many important goals and created numerous indelible memories for Fulham.

"He's always embraced the love of our supporters, and he's been a loyal friend to so many of us at the club, he really cares about Fulham and our people, and still he continues to produce joy for us on and off the pitch; I'm grateful to Mitro for his allegiance to our club and our supporters."
Bright Start to Season

After struggling in the Premier League last season, a campaign which saw Fulham relegated from the top flight, Mitrovic has begun the 2021/22 Championship season in excellent form.

He has scored in each of his last three outings and also assisted Ivan Cavaleiro in the brilliant 5-1 away at Huddersfield Town.

In Fulham's promotion season of 2019/20, Mitrovic scored 26 goals in the Championship, which helped them back into the top flight via the play-offs.

In total, he has scored 56 goals in 135 outings for the West London side.

https://lastwordonsports.com/football/2021/08/27/aleksandar-mitrovic-new-fulham-deal/