watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-From someone long in the tooth-well what I've got left

Started by bog, August 28, 2021, 09:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I recall good starts in 1958/9 and of course 2000/1. With the latter we were even mentioned on Classic FM the morning of our game at Wolves as we went for 12 straight wins. I didn't expect this start. Losing those 7 loan players I was dreading doing a Sheff Weds and beginning a slide into oblivion. Our managerial appointment has been excellent and the mood of the club is bright and sunny with the future looking good. The style is very entertaining and to see the youngsters figuring tops up my enthusiasm.
  Am I going over the top? I do hope this aint a false dawn and today becomes a reality check. No, sod it, it wont! 2-0.  :clap_hands: :yay: 049:gif

092.gif     

Finnans Right Peg

Peabody

When it comes to long in the tooth bog, you still need to get some in and you can still use those wiggle things at the bottom, something I can't do. Agree with you though, there does seem to be some optimism floating about. Going to be tough today though

Fernhurst

Good for you Captain, although my memory seems to think season 2000 started spectacularly after Jean pulled the boys in for training on June the first, unheard of in those days. Don't remember quite such an electric start in 1958.
Flying start winning all of our first eleven games and putting a gap between us and the rest of the pack. It would be great if Albion drop a point today and for the first time this season a gap appears (already settled on a 3-0 win for us).
As you say the club is in a great place at the moment which I put entirely down to Marco banishing all the secrecy telling us exactly as it is.
Talking of Albion, don't they remind you of Wimbledon in the eighties? When we play them Tosin will need to be on he near post when those huge throw-ins come in and Mitro will need to be about to prevent bullying of our keeper.
Here's hoping it doesn't all blow up in our faces today and The Old Sods Army can continue marching proudly on. !!

COME ON YOU LILLY WHITES 

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

Yes, a big test today. A win will show that we are promotion contenders and not just enjoying a new manager bounce.
I am so looking forward to a good season on top of the table but am cautious as we have seen false dawns in the past.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 28, 2021, 10:35:56 AM
Good for you Captain, although my memory seems to think season 2000 started spectacularly after Jean pulled the boys in for training on June the first, unheard of in those days. Don't remember quite such an electric start in 1958.
Flying start winning all of our first eleven games and putting a gap between us and the rest of the pack. It would be great if Albion drop a point today and for the first time this season a gap appears (already settled on a 3-0 win for us).
As you say the club is in a great place at the moment which I put entirely down to Marco banishing all the secrecy telling us exactly as it is.
Talking of Albion, don't they remind you of Wimbledon in the eighties? When we play them Tosin will need to be on he near post when those huge throw-ins come in and Mitro will need to be about to prevent bullying of our keeper.
Here's hoping it doesn't all blow up in our faces today and The Old Sods Army can continue marching proudly on. !!

COME ON YOU LILLY WHITES

Morning Fernhurst. Yes 1958 saw the arrival of Lord Leggat from Aberdeen. After 10 games won 9 drew the other: 32 goals for and 13 conceded. Graham scored in his first 6 games. We ended up  2nd to Wednesday. Oh and we beat a team called Stoke 6-1 in the first game of that season....  COYW! 049:gif       

Fernhurst

Wasn't it dear old Maurice Cooks first season also?

Loved Lord Leggat and Loved FFC already but  completely fell in love with going to Craven Cottage around that time.

bill taylors apprentice

We will certainly be there or thereabouts at the very least and possibly more dominant than we thought.

While last season was painful to say the least, I was always hopeful that the players who remained would now benefit from the ridged structure of last seasons team set up if the right manager came in and released them from their restraints.

There was certainly a lesson to be learned in the PL and we did look a decent team defensively albeit at the expense of our offensive play.
The confidence from keeping it tight and holding the ball for long periods last season can only be a big bonus if allied to a more expansive game and this seems to be the case so far.

HV71

Bog and Fernhurst- I Agee with both your mood and optimism. It is currently very exciting- the manager is certainly a breath of fresh air and the football entertaining All good

Twig

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on August 28, 2021, 12:56:32 PM
We will certainly be there or thereabouts at the very least and possibly more dominant than we thought.

While last season was painful to say the least, I was always hopeful that the players who remained would now benefit from the ridged structure of last seasons team set up if the right manager came in and released them from their restraints.

There was certainly a lesson to be learned in the PL and we did look a decent team defensively albeit at the expense of our offensive play.
The confidence from keeping it tight and holding the ball for long periods last season can only be a big bonus if allied to a more expansive game and this seems to be the case so far.

I think that's fair. Unless injuries decimate us we have a very good season to look forward to.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 28, 2021, 12:23:07 PM
Wasn't it dear old Maurice Cooks first season also?

Loved Lord Leggat and Loved FFC already but  completely fell in love with going to Craven Cottage around that time.

Mo actually arrived the season before from Watford and was unable to play in the FA Cup semi. Mo always gave his all. Yes, Fernhurst, we all love going to that ground.  049:gif     

Fernhurst

Wouldn't it be lovely to be young again Captain?

My Grandson and his girl were supposed to fly off to Dubai last night but due to a COVID test delay are now flying this evening.
Stayed in hotel near Heathrow and decided today to take in the game. Last hour he has face timed twice from outside and inside the ground.
What do the kids say? I'm "well Jel"

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 28, 2021, 02:51:49 PM
Wouldn't it be lovely to be young again Captain?

My Grandson and his girl were supposed to fly off to Dubai last night but due to a COVID test delay are now flying this evening.
Stayed in hotel near Heathrow and decided today to take in the game. Last hour he has face timed twice from outside and inside the ground.
What do the kids say? I'm "well Jel"

Good luck to them! COYW!  049:gif