more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Peterborough WBA

Started by Caedal, August 28, 2021, 08:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enfield

Jammy sods, win in the last seconds.
If they bring their towels to the cottage make sure we pick them up.

Sgt Fulham

I have said this before and will say it again. Long throws are not football, and should be banned. Such an embarrassing tactic. I hope West Brom are the unlucky victims when we finally decide to finish half of our chances.

Nestor the Chronicler

A normal WBA training day:
- 9-12 throw-ins practice
- 2-5 throw-ins practice
- 5-6 shower, towels, etc.
- 6-8 tactical session: towel distribution from stands to designated player.

AJW48361

They may cause us problems with those tactics.

Nestor the Chronicler

Quote from: AJW48361 on August 28, 2021, 10:25:25 PM

Apparently, Gazzaniga is world-class at reading long throws - the final jigsaw piece in our Championship winning season.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Nestor the Chronicler on August 28, 2021, 10:33:08 PM

Apparently, Gazzaniga is world-class at reading long throws - the final jigsaw piece in our Championship winning season.

Where did you get this info from?
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Nero

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on August 28, 2021, 10:35:18 PM

He said reading nothing about catching or dealing with

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Nero on August 28, 2021, 10:55:08 PM
Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on August 28, 2021, 10:35:18 PM

He said reading nothing about catching or dealing with

This made me cough out my food chuckling - I appreciate you
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Somerset Fulham

Darren Ferguson quote:

"He's managing a big, big club like West Brom, and I thought he was disrespectful and out of order. He needs to calm down. He's only got playoffs once, with Barnsley. He's not the god of football all of a sudden, he needs to calm down."

064.gif

Andy S

I would like to think so! There are normally only 3 or 4 outstanding teams in the championship. Usually the three relegated clubs and one or two promoted clubs. This season you can add QPR to that as they have bought well over the summer. So let's see what happens.

Logicalman

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on August 28, 2021, 10:12:55 PM
I have said this before and will say it again. Long throws are not football, and should be banned. Such an embarrassing tactic. I hope West Brom are the unlucky victims when we finally decide to finish half of our chances.

I don't agree. The length of a kick, throw, header and whatever else that is currently legal way of moving the ball is totally acceptable, the long throw has been part and parcel of the game for almost 3 decades in England, albeit it wasn't until the likes of Delap who somewhat perfected the art, that it became truly part and parcel.

I do, however, totally disagree with the use of anything other than the kit the player is wearing being used to clean or dry the ball first. There was something mentioned that the FA stopped the use of towels (I thought it was around 2000), so WBA used tops and suchlike from fans today, and if that was illegal then the ref should have nipped that in the bud, instead he waited until very late in the game before saying something (if that was, in fact, what he was saying to the player).
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

RaySmith

Quote from: Logicalman on August 29, 2021, 04:29:48 AM

I don't agree. The length of a kick, throw, header and whatever else that is currently legal way of moving the ball is totally acceptable, the long throw has been part and parcel of the game for almost 3 decades in England, albeit it wasn't until the likes of Delap who somewhat perfected the art, that it became truly part and parcel.

I do, however, totally disagree with the use of anything other than the kit the player is wearing being used to clean or dry the ball first. There was something mentioned that the FA stopped the use of towels (I thought it was around 2000), so WBA used tops and suchlike from fans today, and if that was illegal then the ref should have nipped that in the bud, instead he waited until very late in the game before saying something (if that was, in fact, what he was saying to the player).

Agree, you can't ban them unless you change the rules of the game, but agree about banning the use of towels.

If you tried to ban certain throws, there would be debate about  whether the throw was  long enough to be illegal, more unnecessary hold up's in play.

I don't see anything wrong with them, they are a legitimate tactic.
Banning them would seem like an attempt to further tilt things in favour of the top sides - in that it's usually sides with less skilful players who use this tactic, and the long ball into the box.

WE might not like it if it's done against us, but if it's your team gaining an advantage through an entirely legitimate tactic, then you probably think it's a good thing.

grandad

Our Jim Langley was one of the first players to adopt the long throw. Also the sliding tackle which would be classed as a foul these days.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Worcesterwhite

Surly it's time waisting if nothing else, it took an age for each throw in to be taken, the ref should have booked him at the first opportunity and nipped it in the bud.

Ludlow Richard

Quote from: Logicalman on August 29, 2021, 04:29:48 AM

I agree with a ban on the use of towels. But to me that is a trivial thing compared to the time wasting that takes place with a long throw. I've seen at the Cottage before where the opposition get a long throw near our left/the opponent's right corner flag. Then their left back strolls across the pitch to take the throw, dries the ball, giving time for the large centre halves to stroll up to our penalty area etc etc. By the time the long throw is taken, perhaps a minute has elapsed. If a normal throw in was being taken, the referee would be waving his arms at the player to get on with it after about 10 seconds. Somehow long throws appear outside the general rules of time in football. My solution would be that (a) the long throw has to be taken by a player within fifteen yards of where the ball went out of play and (b) any throw in has to be taken within 15 seconds of the ball going out of play (and of course no towels, hoodies etc).