more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 01/09/21...

Started by WhiteJC, September 01, 2021, 12:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Lookman returns to Prem as Leicester City sign him on loan

Former Fulham and Everton winger Ademola Lookman is back in the Premier League as he has joined Leicester City on loan, the club have confirmed.

It has been a busy day at Leicester City. Earlier on deadline day, their midfielder Denis Praet secured a move to Serie A outfit Torino.

Lookman told LCFC TV: "I'm delighted to be here. It's a great honour to be at such a big and amazing club with such a huge history and a quality group of players.

"The facilities are incredible. It's pretty mind-blowing and I just can't wait to get to work here. I think environment is very important for a player, so this is the right environment for me to work hard every single day and to help my craft be even better."

Lookman, who started his career at Charlton, joined RB Leipzig from Everton in 2019, signing a five-year deal, after a previous loan spell.

He impressed on loan for Fulham last season, despite the Cottagers' relegation from the Premier League, scoring four goals in 34 top-flight appearances.

https://www.football365.com/news/leicester-city-sign-ademola-lookman-returns-to-premier-league

WhiteJC

'World class' midfielder completes transfer amid Aston Villa links

Reported Aston Villa transfer target Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa has completed a deadline day transfer to SC Napoli

Reported Aston Villa transfer target Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa has completed a deadline day transfer to SC Napoli from Fulham for an initial loan with an option to buy for €15m.

Villa were linked with the holding midfielder earlier in the summer with Arsenal also having been credited with an interest in the highly-rated Cameroon international.

Anguissa was tipped to leave the Cottagers after their relegation from the Premier League last season during which he impressed in the heart of Scott Parker's engine room.

The Daily Mail reported how Villa and the Gunners were among his admirers with Fulham braced for offers for their prized asset this summer.

With Villa and Arsenal both vying for the Cameroon international's signature, it only stimulated the midfielder's desire to leave Craven Cottage this summer, before eventually deciding to join Italian outfit Napoli on deadline day.

Anguissa, according to a report from Gazzetta dello Sport earlier this month, claimed Villa were leading the chase to sign the Fulham star.

Anguissa impressed in the Primer League last season, despite Fulham's struggles in the top-flight and has earned a number of admirers this summer after Fulham Director of Football Tony Khan labelled the midfielder "world class", via the Fulham website, upon his arrival in 2018.

The report from Gazzetta dello Sport suggested that Villa were in pole position to land Anguissa, with the money generated by the sale of Jack Grealish putting the club in a very healthy position from a financial perspective.

The Villa fans across social media have questioned why Anguissa didn't end up at Villa Park following the reports from Italy which claimed that Villa were in the driving seat to sign the midfielder.

@ iamvilla : Anguissa is going to Napoli. Which would be perfect. What the hell are we doing?

@ AshleyGrigg7 : And Anguissa who was actually achievable goes to Napoli, This is the Villa we've all been missing the last few years

@ AVFCfan83 : Shouldn't Villa be challenging them for his signature?

@ kiernagallop00 : From an Aston Villa perspective, they need a defensive minded midfielder. Someone like Anguissa would fit them like a glove in my opinion.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-anguissa-napoli-21449409

WhiteJC

Fulham eyeing up late transfer swoop for Watford duo

Fulham are eyeing up a late swoop for Watford midfielders Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina ahead of the 11pm transfer deadline, according to The Athletic's live transfer blog (August 31, 7:40pm.

The Cottagers have allowed Andre-Franck Zambo Anguissa out on loan to Italian giants Napoli and as of now they have failed in their attempts to convince Swansea City to sell captain Matt Grimes, with multiple bids rejected, per The Athletic's blog (August 31, 5:10 pm).

Now they have turned to Chalobah as a potential option to strengthen the engine room, with the ex-Chelsea man having less than a year remaining on his contract with the Hornets.

And further up the pitch in the attacking midfield areas it has emerged that Portuguese youngster Quina is a target, having spent the second half of last season on loan at La Liga side Granada.

Before securing a loan move overseas in January, Quina played 14 times for Watford in the Championship under former manager Vladimir Ivic but does not seem to be in Xisco Munoz's plans this season, and neither does Chalobah with both potentially heading to Craven Cottage.

The Verdict

Fulham already have a strong Championship squad – and this would make them even stronger if they were able to get a double deal over the line.

Their attempts to secure Matt Grimes look to have ended in disappointment but Chalobah has top flight experience and would be a welcome addition.

Quina meanwhile holds significant potential and looked set for a big season in 2020-21 before the switch of manager from Ivic to Xisco.

He could provide a goal threat in the attacking midfield role or from out wide even though Fulham already have strength in depth in those areas – Championship sides will be looking on with envious eyes at Craven Cottage in the final few hours of the window.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-eyeing-up-late-transfer-swoop-for-watford-duo/

WhiteJC

Have Fulham given up on Grimes? Did they value him at all?

It is being widely speculated that Fulham have now given up hope on signing Swansea captain Matt Grimes and turned their attention to Watford duo Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina which could see the Swans hold onto their midfielder.

Fulham have seen multiple bids turned down from Grimes but you have to question their real desire to sign the player with the two clubs seemingly not much more than a few hundred thousand pounds apart – certainly as much as they may have to fork out to land their new targets.

That in itself tells you that part of the reason for the Swans not accepting the offer could be the player's own reluctance over a move where regular first team football may not have been guaranteed and that the speculation that Russell Martin has sold him his Swansea 'vision' being as much of the reason why he is still here as much as anything.

On a day when the Swans coffers have been boosted by the sale of Connor Roberts and Jamal Lowe as well as a seven figure pay out on a sell on clause for Dan James it could be that the budgeted sale of Grimes was not as essential and that we could work to retain his services.  Had Lowe or Roberts stayed you could easily have imagined Grimes leaving as we moved budgets around to complete the deals that we are doing on the final day.

Of course there is nothing official yet that Fulham have moved on from Grimes but as we approach almost the final hour of the window then these late revelations could mean that Grimes is no longer wanted by Fulham and that could mean him still being here tomorrow morning.

And that in itself would be as good as a new signing.

https://planetswans.co.uk/2021/08/31/have-fulham-given-up-on-grimes-did-they-value-him-at-all/

WhiteJC

Fulham close to signing Nathaniel Chalobah from Watford

Fulham are close to signing Nathaniel Chalobah before tonight's deadline, according to reports from Sky Sports.

Talks between the two clubs are at an advanced stage. The 26-year-old defensive midfielder is likely to join on a permanent move, but an initial loan has still not been completely ruled out.

Chalobah joined Watford in 2017 from Chelsea on a permanent deal. He previously played for the Hornets in 2012-13 on loan from the Blues.

The midfielder, who is on £35k-per-week wages at Watford, has made over 80 appearances for the club, but it seems his time at Vicarage Road is coming to an end.

SportsLens View

This has been an extremely busy transfer window for Watford who offloaded several key players including Troy Deeney who joined Birmingham City.

Will Hughes has been sold as well to Crystal Palace this summer.

Watford have bolstered their midfield by signing Moussa Sissoko from Tottenham, Imran Louza from FC Nantes, and Ozan Tufan from Fenerbahce (on loan), and are ready to offload Chalobah.

The former Chelsea midfielder would be a good signing for the Cottagers who would be looking to get back to the Premier League this season.

The London club have bolstered their squad by signing Harry Wilson from Liverpool and Rodrigo Muniz from Flamengo among others.

https://sportslens.com/fulham-close-to-signing-nathaniel-chalobah-from-watford/384584/

WhiteJC

EFL on Sky: 11 games to be shown live in October

Sky Sports Football to show 11 more games from the Sky Bet EFL in October - including huge derby weekend clashes between West Brom and Birmingham, Fulham vs QPR and Swansea vs Cardiff from October 15-17

Sky Sports has announced 11 games to be shown live on Sky Sports Football in October.

There are 10 games already set to be shown live on Sky Sports Football in September, and there are now 11 more set to be shown live in October.

Stoke and West Brom meet for a Friday night clash under the lights at the bet365 Stadium on Friday, October 1, while the next day will see another early frontrunner in Fulham head to Coventry for a Saturday lunchtime match.

Then, following the October international break, the Championship will return with a bang with three huge rivalries across three days.

On Friday October 15 it is West Brom vs Birmingham at The Hawthorns, the following day we head to west London for a lunchtime clash between Fulham and QPR, then on Sunday, we move on to South Wales, where Swansea take on Cardiff.

Then, on Saturday 30 the two early pace-setters in the Championship, Fulham and West Brom, meet at Craven Cottage in a 12.30pm kick-off.

Here are is the list of every game so far confirmed to be shown on Sky Sports Football in September and October...

Confirmed EFL games on Sky Sports Football

September
Mon 6: Bolton vs Burton, kick-off 8pm

Fri 10: Birmingham vs Derby, kick-off 8pm

Sun 12: Nottingham Forest vs Cardiff, kick-off 2.30pm

Tues 14: Bournemouth vs QPR, kick-off 7.45pm - five other Championship games live across Sky Sports

Wed 15: Stoke vs Barnsley, kick-off 8pm - five other Championship games live across Sky Sports

Sat 18: Hull vs Sheffield United, kick-off 12.30pm

Fri 24: West Brom vs QPR, kick-off 8pm

Sat 25: Reading vs Middlesbrough, kick-off 12.30pm

Tues 28: Middlesbrough vs Sheffield United, kick-off 7.45pm - five other Championship games live across Sky Sports

Wed 29: Fulham vs Swansea, kick-off 7.45pm - five other Championship games live across Sky Sports

October
Fri 1: Stoke vs West Brom, kick-off 7.45pm

Sat 2: Coventry vs Fulham, kick-off 12.30pm

Sat 9: Forest Green vs Swindon, kick-off 12pm

Fri 15: West Brom vs Birmingham, kick-off 8pm

Sat 16: Fulham vs QPR, kick-off 12.30pm

Sun 17: Swansea vs Cardiff, kick-off 12pm

Tues 19: Stoke vs Bournemouth, kick-off 7.45pm

Wed 20: Swansea vs West Brom, kick-off 7.45pm

Sat 23: Cardiff vs Middlesbrough, kick-off 12.30pm

Fri 29: QPR vs Nottingham Forest, kick-off 7.45pm

Sat 30: Fulham vs West Brom, kick-off 12.30pm

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12395844/efl-on-sky-11-games-to-be-shown-live-in-october

WhiteJC

Domingos Quina and Nathaniel Chalobah leave Watford for Fulham

Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina have both joined Fulham on loan. Picture: Action Images

Watford midfielders Domingos Quina and Nathaniel Chalobah have completed loan moves to Fulham, the Watford Observer understands.

Quina had initially hoped to stay with the Hornets for the season, but has now departed after being told his playing time would be limited.

Bournemouth had also approached Watford for the player's signature, but he has now joined the Cottagers instead.

After his return from a loan at Granada last season, the 21-year-old told the Watford Observer he was expecting to play regularly for Watford, following conversations with people at the club.

However, those assurances were not given and he instead sought a move away, culminating in his move to Craven Cottage.

Chalobah meanwhile turned down the offer of a new five-year deal at Vicarage Road, much like his now former teammate Will Hughes, who joined Crystal Palace earlier this summer.

An option to buy is included in Quina's deal, set at £5million if Fulham are promoted at the end of the season.

Chalobah's deal is also understood to have an option, although details currently remain unknown.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/19549668.domingos-quina-nathaniel-chalobah-leave-watford-fulham/

WhiteJC

Quina Joins On Loan

The Club is delighted to announce the signing of Domingos Quina on loan from Watford.

The 21-year-old joins Fulham on a season long deal, with the Club holding an option to make the deal permanent.

After sealing his deadline day switch, Quina said: "I'm really excited to be here. We've got a good team, one that can go back up to the Premier League.

"I just want to play. I know I'll have to fight for my place in the team and to get minutes, but I'm excited about it."

Tony Khan added: "I'm delighted to welcome Domingos Quina to Fulham. He's a very talented young player whose progress we've followed for several years and we had previously tried to bring him to Fulham.

"I'm very pleased we were able to reach an agreement tonight to secure Domingos on loan, and we have a Club option included in the deal, which made this an even more attractive opportunity for our Club. Come on Fulham!"

A number 10 who has also been known to operate slightly deeper or out wide, Quina spent time in the academies of both Benfica and Chelsea before a move to West Ham United in the summer of 2016.

He promptly made his debut for the Hammers, aged just 16, in the UEFA Europa League.

Two years later Quina was bought by Watford who gave him a first taste of Premier League football that season, featuring eight times in the top flight, including a match-winning appearance when he scored the winning goal against Cardiff City.

After 37 games for the Hornets, he joined Granada on loan for the second half of last season, scoring on each of his first two starts for the club, and helping them to a ninth place finish in La Liga.

A youth international who has been capped up to Under-21 level, Quina has won both the Under-17 and Under-19 European Championship with Portugal.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/august/Quina-Joins-On-Loan/

WhiteJC

Fulham Sign Chalobah

The Club is delighted to announce the signing of Nathaniel Chalobah from Watford for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old has signed a contract that keeps him at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2023, with Fulham holding an option to extend by a further year.

Speaking to FFCtv after completing his move, Chalobah said: "There's a great project here, one that excites me. I worked with the gaffer during my first year at Watford and I always got a good vibe from him.

"I've looked at the team here and thought there's the potential to be back in the Premier League next year. That's the target."

Tony Khan added: "I'm very happy that we've been able to add Nathaniel Chalobah to our squad.

"It was great to be able to reach a favourable arrangement to sign Nathaniel, he had excellent references, having had good experiences working under Marco in the past, and Nathaniel's versatile athletic presence will strengthen our midfield. Come on Fulham!"

An athletic defensive midfielder who can also operate further forward or at centre-back, Chalobah actually spent some time in the Fulham Academy before making the short move to Chelsea as a youngster.

His first taste of senior football was as a 17-year-old on loan at Vicarage Road in 2012/13. Chalobah belied his young age with a terrific campaign, featuring 42 times and scoring five goals as Watford reached the Championship Play-Off Final.

Several more loan spells followed, with Chalobah getting experience in the Championship, Premier League and Serie A with Nottingham Forest, Middlesbrough, Burnley, Reading and Napoli.

Following the appointment of Marco Silva, Chalobah returned to Watford in the summer of 2017 on a permanent deal, having played 15 times for Chelsea.

Having appeared an astonishing 97 times for England across a number of age groups, Chalobah was given a senior debut in October 2017 in a 3-2 win over Spain in the Nations League, making him the first Watford player to represent the Three Lions since John Barnes 35 years earlier.

After racking up the appearances in the Premier League, Chalobah helped Watford bounce back at the first time of asking as they finished second in the Championship last season.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/august/Fulham-Sign-Chalobah/

WhiteJC

Fulham confirm Quina loan deal

Fulham have tonight confirmed the signing of Watford midfielder Domingos Quina on a season-long loan deal.

Quina, who is naturally a number ten but can play in central midfield or as a winger, had expected to be part of the first team squad at Vicarage Road this season but has opted to make the move to Craven Cottage after finding game time difficult to come by at Watford. The 21 year-old came through the Benfica academy and spent four years in the Chelsea youth set up before moving to West Ham in 2016. He signed for Watford two years later, scoring on his debut at Reading in the League Cup, and became the youngest Hornets' Premier League scorer when he netted against Cardiff. Quina has scored three times in 37 appearances for Watford and spent part of last season on loan at Granada.

The Portuguese under-21 international won the European under-17 championship in 2016 and the European under-19 championship in 2018. Fulham hold an option to turn Quina's loan into a £5m permanent deal should the Whites win promotion back to the Premier League.

Quina told Fulham's official website: "I'm really excited to be here. We've got a good team, one that can go back up to the Premier League. I just want to play. I know I'll have to fight for my place in the team and to get minutes, but I'm excited about it."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/fulham-confirm-quina-loan-deal/

WhiteJC

Fulham sign ex-Chelsea man Chalobah and get Quina on loan

Chelsea have signed former Chelsea man Nathaniel Chalobah from Watford for an undisclosed fee.

Chalobah (pictured), 26, was on Fulham's books before joining Chelsea, where he came through the academy before eventually leaving for Watford in 2017.

He has signed a two-year contract at Craven Cottage and been joined there by fellow midfielder Domingos Quina, who has arrived from Watford too – in his case on a season-long koan.

Quina, 21, was also previously with Chelsea.

Meanwhile, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa has signed a new Fulham contract and joined Napoli on a season-long loan.

The Cameroon international, 25, is now under contract at the Cottage until 2024.

Anguissa was signed from Marseille in the summer of 2018 in a deal worth around £23m.

The following year he joined Villarreal on a season-long loan after the Whites' relegation from the Premier League.

And with Fulham back in the Championship, he has moved elsewhere again.

He has made three appearances for Marco Silva's side this season – all of them as a substitute.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-sign-ex-chelsea-man-chalobah-and-get-quina-on-loan

WhiteJC

What kind of window has it been?

It is already clear that Marco Silva's appointment as Fulham's head coach in the summer was a gamechanger. The Portuguese boss had a point to prove in English football after being sacked at Everton and was hungry to answer his critics in a role similar to his first in management – when he took Estoril up from the second division in his homeland and soon had them challenging the elite. In barely a month, he has revolutionised Fulham's football, abandoning Scott Parker's cautious approach, and the flair that has accompanied four wins from the first five is arguably as exhilarating as the fact that the Whites sit top of the Championship.

Arguably as important as the tactical tweaks has been the way the new man has influenced Fulham's famous transfer policy. The elements of the 'two boxes ticked' method embraced by Tony Khan as director of football may remain in place, but there is no doubt that Silva enjoys far more sway than any of his immediate predecessors. He quickly brought in Paulo Gazzaniga, who has become Fulham's number one and Harry Wilson, who has made such a blistering start down the right wing. Silva pushed hard to sign Brazilian wonderkid Rodrigo Muniz and recruited two more midfielders last night in the shape of Domingos Quina and Nathaniel Chalobah.

These signings make an already strong Fulham squad seem supremely stacked. The deadline day signings were vital after the loaning out of Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa, who wasn't keen on playing in the Championship, and the ongoing injury concerns about Fulham's other midfielders. Harrison Reed has only just returned from an ankle injury, whilst Tom Cairney's troublesome knees have meant he has managed just a single training session since Silva arrived. That means we can't count on the captain's precise passing anytime soon. While Fabio Carvalho has began brilliantly in the Championship, Silva will know he can't depend on the prodigious talent all season. Quina is an exciting talent who hasn't got the football he deserved at Vicarage Road, whilst Chalobah, an England international nurtured by Silva during his time at Watford, appears an exceptional addition to the engine room.

The only thing missing from Silva's wishlist was probably a right back following the injury to Kenny Tete. If the Dutch international's hamstring problem will keep him out until the new year, asking Denis Odoi to deputise for three months would not have been the head coach's first choice. The Belgian veteran did terrifically well against Stoke – but he is nobody's idea of a modern, marauding full back. Fulham might approaches to several right backs on Tuesday but failed to get a deal over the line – approaching a free agent in the weeks ahead might be a real possibility.

If the incomings look outstanding, then the fact that Fulham's hierarchy have managed to keep the spine of a strong squad together is very impressive. The club rebuffed late interest in Tosin Adarabioyo, allowing the former Manchester City man to continue his burgeoning partnership at the heart of the defence with Tim Ream. The unlikely midfield pairing of Josh Onomah, who looks reborn under the regime, and Jean Michael Seri, whose own revival at Craven Cottage is the story of the summer, has worked wonderfully well having been thrown together after injuries derailed Silva's initial plans. Bobby Decordova-Reid's brilliant start to the season has seen the Jamaican force his way into the first eleven, whilst Aleksandar Mitrovic committing his long-term future to Fulham would have been a huge boost to everyone connected to the club.

The Khan family have handsomely backed every manager they have appointed since taking over the club in 2013. Results on the field have fallen far short of their financial investment – which, to their credit, has never dwindled. Silva has the set-up to take Fulham back to the top flight and make a serious statement whilst doing so. He has began life in south west six superbly, but will know better than most that nothing is won in August.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/what-kind-of-window-has-it-been/

WhiteJC

In the end there was no deal with Fulham and Grimes staying is like a new signing for Russell?

It was the second saga of the summer and one that didn't end up as people were expecting and we wake this morning to the confirmation that Matt Grimes is still a Swansea City player.

Right from the off this summer everyone expected Grimes to leave.  The fans did, the media did and it was even written into the club's budgets for the period ahead that he would be gone.   It was part of the plan that would help us balance the books and it was expected that there would be plenty of interest.

Southampton were linked, Newcastle were then there was Bournemouth and Fulham and that wasn't an exclusive list as the speculation intensified.  It seemed a matter of when rather than if Grimes would be gone.    As Flynn Downes signed everyone said the replacement was already here (it was also suggested on the signing of Liam Walsh) but Grimes stayed on and bids were not forthcoming for our captain.

Russell Martin arrived and things seemed to change.  The manager was clear pretty much from Day 1.  He wanted Grimes to stay and he made no secret of it.  Publicly he was almost forcing the club's hand with his statements.  He wanted – almost needed – Grimes to be part of his plans and the media were all too happy to dance to his tune.   Almost every interview seemed to see Martin being asked on the future of Grimes and the response was consistent – he was a great player, someone Martin admired and someone he wanted to keep at Swansea beyond the closure of the window.

Fulham came knocking in the latter stages of the window but Martin had already chipped away at his captain.  The player likes Swansea, those close to him like Swansea and he wasn't desperate to leave.  He told those close to him he wanted to stay and it was really then just down to Russell Martin to get the board to agree that they could keep hold of the player even if it meant taking a risk he may leave for nothing at the end of his contract.

And it appears that it was a game of persuasion that he won.   A couple of late bids from Fulham were rejected and Grimes stayed.  To the manager that will feel as good as any of the signings that he made on deadline day, maybe even better as it shows a commitment from the club towards the work that he wants to undertake here at Swansea.   And that has to feel good as someone who has been here for such a short period of time.

Time will now tell as to what we do in the background with regards the captain.   As much as we have backed the manager, those in the corridors of power, will want a new deal for him to protect their asset and, no doubt, Martin will want the same.  But for now, the manager will know that he has achieved what many thought he would not manage and Matt Grimes remains a Swansea City player and the Swansea City captain.

https://planetswans.co.uk/2021/09/01/in-the-end-there-was-no-deal-with-fulham-and-grimes-staying-is-like-a-new-signing-for-russell/