News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Some are getting carried away - this is the Championship - we are not invincible

Started by 3 Cherries, September 01, 2021, 07:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCity

And yes, regards thread topic, way way way too too too much Puffy Talk for my liking.  Still very early days..........

I Ronic

It's not just being top of the Championship, nor the fact we have a better goal difference of any club in the four English Leagues and three Scottish  leagues but we're there with a manager whose hardly had time to unpack his bags. Young players from the academy are getting games and the ball goes mostly forward and at pace.
We haven't seen that since Tigana. What a wonderful start to live football.
Yes it probably won't last but we're good at moaning on here, we can do that in our sleep. So this is a bonus, like a sunny day in a beer garden with mates. Let's just bask in that for a while.

Twig

I've supported The Whites for nearly 60 of my years so I understand not to get carried away. Of course we aren't invincible, no team is. However I'm so enjoying our football now, I tried to cut Parker some slack, hoped he'd learn and improve with experience, tried to understand that he didn't have the ideal squad etc. etc. But OMG what a transformation and I plan to enjoy every damned minute!

filham

Quote from: 3 Cherries on September 01, 2021, 07:01:46 AM
Sorry to state the obvious

We still have to meet the likes of WBA, QPR and Bournemouth!
Don't forget Barnsley ,with Cauley Woodrow, who took six points from us when they were in a relegation position the last time we met.

Every game in this division is tough, we have to stay in focus for another 41 matches. It is early days yet and there will be banana skins along the way.

rebel

The thing to bear in mind is that Marco has had a 'flyer' we are top, in Joka's first 9 / 10 matches we were in the group of bottom 8 / 9 clubs. Had we had a 'flyer', we would have got automatic promotion.

The Rock

Quote from: rebel on September 01, 2021, 07:03:53 PM
The thing to bear in mind is that Marco has had a 'flyer' we are top, in Joka's first 9 / 10 matches we were in the group of bottom 8 / 9 clubs. Had we had a 'flyer', we would have got automatic promotion.

I'd like to think if we had Silva last year we might have stayed up. This current squad may be able to stay up as is, IF Silva can adapt and adjust to more difficult teams. SJ sadly didn't change his style when we got promoted and he was off. Other teams sussed Parker's tactics as well. Time will tell and hopefully Silva will get his chance next year.

rebel

Quote from: The Rock on September 01, 2021, 07:34:48 PM
Quote from: rebel on September 01, 2021, 07:03:53 PM

I'd like to think if we had Silva last year we might have stayed up. This current squad may be able to stay up as is, IF Silva can adapt and adjust to more difficult teams. SJ sadly didn't change his style when we got promoted and he was off. Other teams sussed Parker's tactics as well. Time will tell and hopefully Silva will get his chance next year.

Joka was actually getting it right, he sacked after the Liverpool match, we had some bad luck in that match, if things had gone our way, he would of gone from strength to strength. Joka always uses the first part of the season to see what is what.

We Are Premier League

I don't think our squad would finish last in this year's PL, relegation yes but not 20th place...

LittleErn

Quote from: Twig on September 01, 2021, 06:09:31 PM
I've supported The Whites for nearly 60 of my years so I understand not to get carried away. Of course we aren't invincible, no team is. However I'm so enjoying our football now, I tried to cut Parker some slack, hoped he'd learn and improve with experience, tried to understand that he didn't have the ideal squad etc. etc. But OMG what a transformation and I plan to enjoy every damned minute!

Spot on. I've been supporting Fulham for 66 years and what kept me away from the lodgers was a forward line of Stevens (then Leggat), Robson, Jezzard, Haynes, and Mitten (then Tosh). Those lads played with joy in their hearts (even when Robson moved on we had Jimmy Hill!). Our frailties in defence cost us a lot of games - our wing-halves pushed forward at every chance - but football at the Cottage was fun. It's like that now - enjoy!

Twig

Quote from: LittleErn on September 01, 2021, 08:18:56 PM

Spot on. I've been supporting Fulham for 66 years and what kept me away from the lodgers was a forward line of Stevens (then Leggat), Robson, Jezzard, Haynes, and Mitten (then Tosh). Those lads played with joy in their hearts (even when Robson moved on we had Jimmy Hill!). Our frailties in defence cost us a lot of games - our wing-halves pushed forward at every chance - but football at the Cottage was fun. It's like that now - enjoy!

Yes, they were great days. I didn't see Robson or Mitten but remember all those others. If we had been blessed with a more solid defence we would have been right up there.

AnOldBrownie

Agree OP. We haven't really done anything yet.  Hopefully we will.

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

LittleErn

Quote from: Twig on September 01, 2021, 10:15:21 PM
Quote from: LittleErn on September 01, 2021, 08:18:56 PM

Yes, they were great days. I didn't see Robson or Mitten but remember all those others. If we had been blessed with a more solid defence we would have been right up there.

Too right Twig. I'm much sketchier on the defenders of the time, which says a lot about the impact they didn't have! I remember John Chenhall at right back - a barrel chested old fashioned kick em in the air defender and Robin Lawlor at left back. He could run as fast backwards as forwards, which was his main method of defending - rarely tackled. We improved when Roy Bentley came from the lodgers. He'd been their centre-forward in 1955 when they won the old 1st Division but played centre half for us! Eddie Lowe was a good attacking wing half but not so solid in defence. Happy days!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: somerset cockernee on September 01, 2021, 04:54:30 PM
I think we are Invincible....There I' Said it.

I think we are invincible, but then I remember we have only won four of our last 15 league games.

Woolly Mammoth

Invincible as defined in the English, Oxford, Collins Dictionary is defined as..........
Too powerful to be defeated or overcome or conquered.
Not sure about that quite yet.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cookieg

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 02, 2021, 04:51:40 AM
Quote from: somerset cockernee on September 01, 2021, 04:54:30 PM
I think we are Invincible....There I' Said it.

I think we are invincible, but then I remember we have only won four of our last 15 league games.

You can't really use that as a reasonable stat, its a bit like comparing apples with oranges. Different team (as in rejuvenated Mitro, new keeper, Wilson, youth getting a proper chance), different manger, different division. You could just as well say we have won x games in our last 250. No comparison from this season to last season.

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

SG

Spot on for me too. 64 years of support but with this standard of football I'm like a little kid looking forward to every game with excitement.

humussapiens

Quote from: WindyCity on September 01, 2021, 04:51:45 PM
Quote from: MartyFFC on September 01, 2021, 09:39:57 AM
Can't say I'm shaking in my boots at the prospect of facing QPR. Bournemouth will be tough to beat and will no doubt dominate possession in their own 18-yard area, but I really think the only team that can live with us will be WBA. Given there are 2 automatic promotion slots up for grabs, I'm certainly quite comfortable with that

Looking forward to playing Bournemouth and Parkerball.  Let them do all that possession in their own end.  FFC can and will pressure them into errors and opportunities.  Our players have all been good coming back to help on defense so even if Bournemouth can break out forward, their slow buildup just makes it that much easier for our lads to defend.  I think we should match up very well against a possession team like that and all their holding the ball and sideways/backwards passing.  COYW!

From the Bournemouth forum:

SP left Fulham for AFCB for a reason, and I think Max has backed him to give us a squad that, on paper at least, now looks ridiculously strong for the Championship. Its now up to SP to mould all of the individual parts into an entertaining and winning football team. Exciting times ahead!

Looks similar to our sentiment around Silva and the team...