News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Some are getting carried away - this is the Championship - we are not invincible

Started by 3 Cherries, September 01, 2021, 07:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on September 02, 2021, 08:24:01 AM
If you can't get carried away (a little at least) now when can you?

When we're 20 games in with a substantial lead in the top 2 and unbeaten I'd say.

bencher

Talk like this will see us return from Blackpool with our tails between our legs. The first goal is promotion. The second goal is winning the league. Only after the first two are secured should we allow our minds to wander into record-breaking territory. Besides - we could draw every game from now on and end the season "invincible". But we would not have achieved any of our goals.

General

Jims Dentist

Quote from: humussapiens on September 02, 2021, 09:50:17 AM
Quote from: WindyCity on September 01, 2021, 04:51:45 PM
Quote from: MartyFFC on September 01, 2021, 09:39:57 AM
Can't say I'm shaking in my boots at the prospect of facing QPR. Bournemouth will be tough to beat and will no doubt dominate possession in their own 18-yard area, but I really think the only team that can live with us will be WBA. Given there are 2 automatic promotion slots up for grabs, I'm certainly quite comfortable with that

Looking forward to playing Bournemouth and Parkerball.  Let them do all that possession in their own end.  FFC can and will pressure them into errors and opportunities.  Our players have all been good coming back to help on defense so even if Bournemouth can break out forward, their slow buildup just makes it that much easier for our lads to defend.  I think we should match up very well against a possession team like that and all their holding the ball and sideways/backwards passing.  COYW!

From the Bournemouth forum:

SP left Fulham for AFCB for a reason, and I think Max has backed him to give us a squad that, on paper at least, now looks ridiculously strong for the Championship. Its now up to SP to mould all of the individual parts into an entertaining and winning football team. Exciting times ahead!

Looks similar to our sentiment around Silva and the team...
Bournemouth certainly signed exciting players in Christie and Lowe to go with those they already had.
It will be interesting to see how SP uses them in his squad.
In the meantime we need to keep at least one foot on the ground.

Tabby

Quote from: humussapiens on September 02, 2021, 09:50:17 AM
Quote from: WindyCity on September 01, 2021, 04:51:45 PM
Quote from: MartyFFC on September 01, 2021, 09:39:57 AM
Can't say I'm shaking in my boots at the prospect of facing QPR. Bournemouth will be tough to beat and will no doubt dominate possession in their own 18-yard area, but I really think the only team that can live with us will be WBA. Given there are 2 automatic promotion slots up for grabs, I'm certainly quite comfortable with that

Looking forward to playing Bournemouth and Parkerball.  Let them do all that possession in their own end.  FFC can and will pressure them into errors and opportunities.  Our players have all been good coming back to help on defense so even if Bournemouth can break out forward, their slow buildup just makes it that much easier for our lads to defend.  I think we should match up very well against a possession team like that and all their holding the ball and sideways/backwards passing.  COYW!

From the Bournemouth forum:

SP left Fulham for AFCB for a reason, and I think Max has backed him to give us a squad that, on paper at least, now looks ridiculously strong for the Championship. Its now up to SP to mould all of the individual parts into an entertaining and winning football team. Exciting times ahead!

Looks similar to our sentiment around Silva and the team...

Difference is that Silva has moulded Fulham into an entertaining and winning team already, while they're hoping that Parker will do it.

MayoDomo

Just took a quick look and if you sum up the results of our opposition, excluding their games against us, they have 9 wins, 7 draws, and 4 losses. Seems like not only are we performing well, but are also performing well against good opposition. Exciting times!
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

ChesterTheTabby

I will get as carried away as I desire after last seasons embarrassment.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Andy S

I don't believe we are invincible but we are going to be difficult to beat as well as difficult to draw against. That to me says we have every chance of promotion

Deeping_white

I don't think people are getting carried away as such. It's just that logically when you look at the insane depth we have coupled with an outstanding first XI at this level being coached by a manager that has an idea of how he wants us to play attractive, attacking football, it all points to what should be a theoretically positive season for us. Obviously football is an unpredictable sport as we all know, but presently there's so much to be positive about with a team that looks like it wants to really go and comprehensively beat teams, and going into an international break top of the table and unbeaten is only going to improve morale for players and supporters alike.

bencher

We are yet to go behind in a game this season. Long may it continue, but when it inevitably does happen, that will be a good test of the team's mettle and we will learn a lot from it.

cookieg

Quote from: bencher on September 03, 2021, 12:14:09 PM
We are yet to go behind in a game this season. Long may it continue, but when it inevitably does happen, that will be a good test of the team's mettle and we will learn a lot from it.

We have conceded a couple of goals though, especially at Millwall, where last season I could have easily seen us wobble and throw away the points.

WindyCity

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 03, 2021, 11:31:43 AM
I don't think people are getting carried away as such.

Sure they are.  There are a handful of threads out there in recent days whose topic is the assumption of first place and automatic promotion.  I think there is quite a bit of being carried away, now after only 5 games into a lengthy campaign.  Just sayin'.....

Deeping_white

Quote from: WindyCity on September 03, 2021, 04:13:12 PM

Sure they are.  There are a handful of threads out there in recent days whose topic is the assumption of first place and automatic promotion.  I think there is quite a bit of being carried away, now after only 5 games into a lengthy campaign.  Just sayin'.....

A bit like you coming on here after the Middlesbrough game saying we're crap and that we need to temper expectations and that you expect us to be in a relegation battle?

WindyCity

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 03, 2021, 04:50:12 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on September 03, 2021, 04:13:12 PM

A bit like you coming on here after the Middlesbrough game saying we're crap and that we need to temper expectations and that you expect us to be in a relegation battle?

First off, I never said FFC was crap.  Yes, I was very disappointed in having dropped two points in a game we dominated for the first 75 minutes.  And I wasn't the only one in this forum who felt the same way.

Yes, guilty as charged. Before the season started, I saw FFC as a mid table team, and any mid table side can have a bad run and find themselves in possible relegation scenario.  Based on what we saw the past two seasons, with players leaving, with ownership recent history of underachievement in bringing in new players and also possibly a new gaffer, all added up to me as a team that might struggle. At that time I was thinking maybe 2-3 years before another good chance at promotion.  And again, I don't think I was alone in this forum thinking such.

Extremely pleased to see the nice, positive start to this season.  Hoping it can continue.  And in my case, I will continue to temper expectations until we have played more games.  COYW!

Forever Fulham

This is the Championship, with opponents often resorting to mugging better skilled opponents.  We've got the skills, pace, and a good manager the men respond to.  So, what I worry most about are injuries--at least until we build up a significant points lead to buy time to recover from any key injuries.  When you play a team like Stoke for instance...

H4usuallysitting

mrmicawbers

I Ronic

Quote from: General on September 02, 2021, 02:13:22 PM
What's the earliest a league has ever been won? Anyone know?

Not win but we could guarantee an automatic promotion spot on the 22nd of Jan against Stoke if we win every game between now and then and this season equals previous seasons lowest points totals for 2nd spot (79)
If this season matches high point 2nd spots (93) it will be 19th Feb against Huddersfield.
Wouldn't that be something lol.
Info from Wiki.

Blawarmy

Bookies have us at 13/8 to win the division, so it looks like a few people fancy us already.