watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 02/09/21...

Started by WhiteJC, September 02, 2021, 12:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Report reveals exactly how much Swansea City wanted for Fulham target Matt Grimes

Fulham missed out on Swansea City skipper Matt Grimes on deadline day, despite some back and forth between the two Championship clubs.

Grimes, 26, has been a prime target of Marco Silva's Fulham this summer. The Championship table-toppers have been throwing bids at Swansea who remained stern on how much they wanted – which a report from Swansea Independent has revealed to be £4million – a £3million 'down payment with the rest in add-ons'.

Reports from Football Insider yesterday claimed that Fulham had submitted an improved offer for Grimes in the region of £2.5million.

Fulham and Swansea then were not far away from securing a deal for Grimes to head to west London, but it came after Swansea City lost Conor Roberts to Burnley for the measly sum of £2.5million, and so Russell Martin risked seeing his side picked apart for pennies on deadline day.

A dangerous game for Swansea?

With Grimes in the final year of his Swansea City contract, rejecting a decent offer from Fulham in the summer transfer window just gone could come back to haunt them.

Martin's side have struggled in the Championship so far this season whilst Fulham lead the pack, and should that continue throughout the campaign then it'll be hard to see Grimes signing an extended deal posing the risk of losing him for nothing next summer.

For now though, Grimes is at Swansea City and he'll be pivotal in helping Martin guide his side up the Championship table and hopefully back into top-six contention.

https://the72.co.uk/249113/report-reveals-exactly-how-much-swansea-city-wanted-for-fulham-target-matt-grimes/

WhiteJC

Player refused Fulham move in 'last minutes of the window' – Dismissed 'all other destinations' too

Other than seeing André Frank Zambo Anguissa sent on loan to Napoli, Fulham enjoyed a rather fruitful transfer deadline day, managing to bring in both Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina from Watford on a permanent deal and a loan respectively.

Their incomings list, however, could have seen one extra name had he accepted the move, according to Corriere della Sera, and that could have been Davide Santon.

Currently at AS Roma, the full-back knows English football well from his time at Newcastle United, but a return to these shores wasn't in his plans.

The Italian newspaper explain the club 'tried in the last minutes of the window to find a solution in England', but the player 'refused Fulham and all the other destinations in Italy'.

Whether there was a desperate need for him at Craven Cottage is a completely different discussion altogether, but the option was there.

He just chose not to take it.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-refused-fulham-move-last-minutes-window-dismissed-destinations/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Many fans are buzzing with Frank Anguissa news

A whole host of Fulham fans are delighted on Twitter with the latest Andre-Frank Anguissa contract news.

Anguissa was part of the Fulham side that were relegated last season and finished 11 points behind Burnley who ended the campaign in 17th place, but despite their drop into the Championship, they've managed to extend Anguissa's contract before joining Napoli on loan.

The Cameroon international has been with Fulham since the summer of 2018 when he joined from Marseille for £22 million, however, looks set to spend another season away while the Whites are in the second tier, having spent the 2019/20 campaign on loan at Villarreal.

A lot of Fulham fans are delighted on Twitter with Anguissa's new contract.
What have these Fulham fans been saying?

"Back for the next PL season you say"

@noteddieffc

"Didn't expect that"

@UTF1879

"Say what you want, but to me this is shrewd business."

@AlexLowy

"This transfer window has been insane for us"

@SianFehres_

"Great bit of business, no way I was happy about only selling for 10 million"

@MikkiManDan

"Extends contract" is truly unbelievable. I love Frank and hope he comes back in the Prem next year but what lol"

@evanreier

"Sorry what? The man loves Fulham clearly"

@cpm_ffc

Fulham have made a strong start to the season having picked up points in all of their Championship games so far, as new manager Marco Silva looks to engineer an immediate return to the Premier League.

Anguissa was a mainstay under Scott Parker last season, featuring in 36 league games for Fulham, however, he and the rest of the squad failed to pick up results when it really mattered, which saw them drop back down into England's second tier.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/09/blogs/championship/fulham/fulham-many-fans-are-buzzing-with-frank-anguissa-news/

WhiteJC

'Two outstanding signings' – Fulham's Deadline Day double deal with Watford: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Fulham added both Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina from Watford on Deadline Day.

Chalobah joined permanently from the Hornets, while Quina has joined on a season-long loan deal.

But are they good signings for the Cottagers?

We quizzed our FLW writers...

George Harbey

I think these are two outstanding signings, particularly Chalobah.

Chalobah, for me, should be playing in the Premier League. He is a powerhouse in midfield and made a lot of appearances to help the Hornets win promotion last term.

For all the attacking talent Fulham have, Chalobah will be a perfect anchor and will provide real strength in the middle of the park.

Quina is an exciting young addition, too, adding to what is already an impressive attacking line at Craven Cottage.

He is a young prospect who deserves a chance, and it's an interesting arrival.

Adam Jones

These are two great signings that will already have an understanding with each other in the middle of the park from their time at Watford.
Chalobah comes in to challenge the likes of Harrison Reed, Josh Onomah, and Jean Michael Seri in what looks to be one of the best midfields the Championship has to offer – and is a much-needed addition after Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa's departure from Craven Cottage.
Despite spending much of his career at Chelsea, his loan spells away from Stamford Bridge and his full season with parent club Watford in the second-tier last season has provided him with a considerable number of Championship minutes under his belt.
His promotion-winning pedigree with the Hornets after playing a big part in their 2020/21 campaign must not be understated either.
With Quina, he will be an extremely useful option to have as a more advanced midfielder in the absence of Tom Cairney.
The 21-year-old has only played a limited amount of football in recent years though, so he may start on the bench at first before Marco Silva attempts to integrate him into the starting lineup.

At 21, there's still a lot of room for improvement and the fact the Cottagers have the option to make both signings permanent should be a source of excitement for fans in west London.

Jordan Rushworth

Fulham were always in the market to add to their midfield options on the final day of the transfer window and they have managed to achieve that with two very promising additions in the shape of Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina.

Chalobah is a real quality player at Championship level and he was a crucial part of the Watford side that managed to earn automatic promotion from the English second tier last season.

The 26-yer-old has a lot of natural ability and if he had not suffered a few injuries along the way he might have been playing at a higher level now than what he will be in the Championship this term with Fulham.

However, Fulham have managed to get themselves a quality player approaching the best years of his career if he can stay injury-free. It has to be seen as a coup for them does this move.

Domingos Quina is a bit more of an unknown player that has a lot of ability but he has yet to consistently show that in a spell with one club.

Silva though is the sort of manager that might be able to unlock the potential that Quina has and if he can do that then Fulham undoubtedly have an exciting player on their hands.

Both signings are very positives ones for Fulham and add a lot of depth and quality to an area that Silva clearly felt still needed some work.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/two-outstanding-signings-fulhams-deadline-day-double-deal-with-watford-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

International Call-Ups

The below players have been called up to represent their respective countries over the current international period.

Senior squad

Bobby De Cordova-Reid (Jamaica) – World Cup Qualifier v Panama

Neeskens Kebano (Congo) – World Cup Qualifier v Benin

Aleksandar Mitrović (Serbia) – Friendly v Qatar & World Cup Qualifiers v Luxembourg/Republic of Ireland

Tim Ream (United States) – World Cup Qualifiers v El Salvador/Canada/Honduras

Marek Rodák (Slovakia) – World Cup Qualifiers v Slovenia/Croatia/Cypurs

Antonee Robinson (United States) – World Cup Qualifiers v El Salvador/Canada/Honduras

Jean Michaël Seri (Ivory Coast) – World Cup Qualifier v Cameroon

Harry Wilson (Wales) – Friendly v Finland & World Cup Qualifier v Estonia

Under-21s:

Ollie O'Neill (Republic of Ireland) - UEFA European Championship Qualifiers

Adrion Pajaziti (Kosovo) - UEFA European Championship Qualifiers

Kieron Bowie (Scotland) - UEFA European Championship Qualifiers

Terry Ablade (Finland) - UEFA European Championship Qualifiers

Under-20s:

Ziyad Larkeche (France) - International Friendlies

Under-19s:

Thorsteinn Antonsson (Iceland) - UEFA European Championship Qualifiers

George Okkas (Cyprus) - UEFA European Championship Qualifiers

Under-18s:

Michael Olakigbe (England) - Training Camp & Friendly vs Wales

Luke Harris (Wales) - Training Camp & Friendly vs England

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/september/International-Call-Ups/

WhiteJC

Fulham confirm Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina deals

Fulham have completed deals to bring both Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina to Craven Cottage.

What's the latest?

In a statement posted on the Fulham website in the early hours of Wednesday morning, the club confirmed that Quina had signed for the Cottagers, with the Watford forward joining on a season-long loan deal and the west London side holding an option to make the move permanent at the end of the season.

Shortly after this announcement, the club revealed in a second statement on their website that Chalobah would be following Quina from Watford to Fulham, with the defensive midfielder joining Marco Silva's side on a permanent deal for an undisclosed fee.

Silva will be buzzing

With Andre-Frank Anguissa joining Napoli on a season-long loan deal on Tuesday, and the Serie A side having an option to purchase the midfielder for €15m (£12.9m) at the end of the current campaign, it appeared clear that Fulham were in need of a replacement for the Cameroon international.

And, following the last-minute swoop for Chalobah, it would appear as if Silva has his man, with the 26-year-old looking to be a very solid replacement for the departed defensive midfielder.

Indeed, over his 38 Championship appearances for Watford last season, the £4.5m-rated man made an average of 1.4 interceptions, 1.6 tackles, 1.4 clearances and won 5.2 duels per game.

He also chipped in for his side in an attacking capacity, scoring three goals, registering one assist and creating one big chance for his teammates, in addition to making an average of 0.3 key passes per game.

These returns saw the England international earn a seasonal SofaScore match rating of 6.85, with the midfielder playing a key role in the club securing automatic promotion to the Premier League.

Meanwhile, the signing of Quina brings further depth in both the central and attacking midfield positions within Silva's squad, with his addition appearing to be a sensible signing when taking into account the fact that Tom Cairney does not look likely to recover from his knee injury any time soon.

As such, the last-minute signings are sure to have left the Portuguese manager buzzing, as both Chalobah and Quina look to be players who strengthen what seems to already be a very strong Fulham side, who will undoubtedly be one of the favourites for the league title following their summer transfer business and impressive start to the campaign.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-transfer-rumours/fulham-transfer-news-deadline-day-marco-silva-watford-nathaniel-chalobah-domingos-quina-the-championship

WhiteJC

Chalobah 'excited by Fulham project'

Nathaniel Chalobah revealed his move to Fulham was inspired by the club's ambition to return to the top flight and is looking forward to working under Marco Silva again.

The England international was nurtured by Silva during the Fulham head coach's spell in charge at Vicarage Road and Chalobah has signed a two-year contract at Craven Cottage after agreeing terms for his deadline day switch yesterday. The midfielder, who spent a year in Fulham's academy as a youngster, believes the Whites are well placed to make an immediate return to the Premier League.

In his first interview as a Fulham player, Chalobah told FFCTV:

"There's a great project here, one that excites me. I worked with the gaffer during my first year at Watford and I always got a good vibe from him. I've looked at the team here and thought we've got a really good squad and we've got the potential to be back in the Premier League next year. That's the target."

The former Chelsea midfielder was full of praise for Silva and hopes his reunion with the Portuguese can prove as productive as their spell together at Vicarage Road.

"It was brilliant. He's very hands on. He likes things being done his way. At the time, I was quite young and I wanted to learn. I still want to learn now, I still think I can improve as a player and I started off really well with him, unfortunately I had an injury. I feel like it is something that has started before – and we can finish it off.

Chalobah knows a number of Fulham's first team squad and is excited to try and force his way into Silva's first choice midfield.

"I know Michael Hector, Bobby, Josh Onomah – I know quite a few of lads. Denis Odoi I've met before, Tosin – there's that mutual respect when you meet each other. I think we've got a really good squad and can do well.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/chalobah-excited-by-fulham-project/

WhiteJC

Quina targets first team spot at Fulham

Domingos Quina says the prospect of first-team football persuaded him to join Fulham on loan from Watford as transfer deadline day drew to a close.

The Portuguese midfielder failed to feature for the Hornets in the first month of the season despite promises made by the club's hierarchy after he returned from a loan spell at Granada and hopes to make his mark in the Championship with his new club. The 21 year old told FFC TV:

"For me, it's not the first time I've done a deal on the last day. I'm kind of used to it, but I'm nervous because I want it to work. For me, it was the manager [who made the difference]. I think he's a really good manager, I am excited to work with him and learn. I'm really excited to be here. We've got a good team, one that can go back up to the Premier League. I just want to play. I know I'll have to fight for my place in the team and to get minutes, but I'm excited about it."

Quina, who had a spell with West Ham before joining Watford, made fifteen appearances in the first half of last season as the Hornets won promotion to the Premier League.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/quina-targets-first-team-spot-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Domingos Quina has signed for Fulham on a season-long loan from Watford.

Fulham have signed Nathaniel Chalobah from Watford for an undisclosed fee.

Chalobah, who has signed a contract until 2023, made 75 appearances for the Hornets and scored three goals during a four-year stay at Vicarage Road.

Chalobah said: "There's a great project here, one that excites me. I worked with the gaffer during my first year at Watford and I always got a good vibe from him.

"I've looked at the team here and thought there's the potential to be back in the Premier League next year. That's my target."

Fulham director of football Tony Khan said: "I'm very happy that we've been able to add Nathaniel Chalobah to our squad.

"It was great to be able to reach a favourable agreement to sign Nathaniel, he had excellent references, having had good experiences working under Marco in the past, and Nathaniel's versatile athletic presence will strengthen our midfield."

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/domingos-quina-has-signed-for-fulham-on-a-season-long-loan-from-watford/

WhiteJC

In Profile: Nathaniel Chalobah
Ben takes a look at one of our two deadline day signings and assesses the former Watford midfielder.

Well here we are, buying the Championship again. Somewhere on Twitter, tears are beginning to flow from the eyes of certain podcasts that shall remain unnamed. We're less than 24 hours removed from the end of the deadline and opposition fanbases are already naming Fulham champions. From my point of view, it's bloody refreshing to look at our squad page and find only one loanee. There's a great vibe around the club at the moment, and it was only heightened by the arrival of two high-calibre players from Watford. Domingos Quina arrived on loan with an option, and he is going to be an exciting player to watch this year. But, this profile is actually about Nathaniel Chalobah, who signed on a permanent two-year contract, with the option of another year.

Chalobah has two very fun facts about his playing career: firstly, he has one England cap but has officially played zero minutes for the Three Lions, his only appearance came in injury time against Spain in 2018. Any injury time appearances are officially registered as zero minutes, but still acknowledged as caps. Secondly, he had 97 caps for England before making a senior appearance. The most for any "junior" player ever to play for England.

So yes, there's certainly pedigree with this signing, and it's an important one. Fulham have an abundance of talent across the pitch, but central midfield is a slight concern, with the departure of Anguissa and the ongoing knee issues for Tom Cairney, leaving minimal cover in the engine room. The arrival of Chalobah represents a strong message to the rest of the league that we're not going to take any prisoners on our quest for the title.

Making his name
Chalobah burst on to the scene as a 17 year old many years ago, in a Watford team that featured the brilliant trifecta of Vydra, Deeney and Forestieri. At such a young age the quality was there for all to see, and fans will remember his absolute thunderbolt against Leicester at the King Power. A stunning, 25 yard half-volley that crashed in off the under-side of the cross bar, leaving Kasper Schmeichel helpless. Watford failed to get promotion that season, and this also signalled the start of a few years in the wilderness for Chalobah, before landing once again at Vicarage Road.

Exciting attributes
Traditionally seen as a holding midfielder, Chalobah was pushed forward by Xisco towards the back end of last season, and benefited with the additional responsibility, scoring two goals and assisting one. Although the numbers don't scream that Chalobah can be a creative force on paper, there are elements to his game that are not naturally reflected in a statistical nature; his ability to hold on to possession and to see a pass from the middle third of the pitch is a standout feature of his game. Watford fans also speak highly of his tendency to create chances from the "eight" position, which makes a tandem of Chalobah and Seri and/or Reed a mouth-watering prospect.

Aside from his chance creation, there is the mental side of the game which also makes Chalobah a Championship stand-out. When on his game, the midfielder can make football look like the easiest game on earth, floating round the pitch and progressing the play with ease. His athleticism and strength should not be underrated in a league where physicality is a top trait, he's a battler and will compete for every ball and although not the fastest, can certainly get around the pitch in the same mould as Josh Onomah.

These are aspects of his game that made fans think that Chalobah could have been a key England player for years to come, but injuries have curtailed his potential somewhat, leaving Watford fans wondering when the star player may emerge for the Hornets.

But this is life in SW6 now, and arguably a squad with more attacking options from both central, wide and striking positions that Watford had last year, Ismaila Sarr aside. The prospect of Chalobah settling in next to Seri, Reed or Onomah is a tantalising one, but also offers a massive decision for Marco Silva in terms of rotation and balance. With the weapons around him, and his great form in an advance role last season, don't be surprised to see Chalobah pop up in the 10 at times and cause some damage. For a reported fee of £3m, it's definitely worth the gamble.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-09-01-in-profile-nathaniel-chalobah/

WhiteJC

"It was a great coup" – Club praised for pulling off deal for Fulham player, agent behind late move

Fulham midfielder Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa was surrounded by transfer rumours for the past few months, with a few clubs from abroad being linked to him.

Some stories said the player would cost up to €25m, and that's why there was an expectation that the Cottagers could manage to make a big sale with him this summer.

So with Anguissa moving to Napoli on a loan deal, it's no surprise that the transfer is being seen in Italy as a good piece of business made by the Serie A side.

Some compliments were made today by journalist Ciro Venerato, who, when speaking to Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli today, praised sports director Cristiano Giuntoli for landing the 25-year-old that way.

"It was a great coup by Giuntoli, because his home team, Fulham, until a few days ago was asking for €20m to sell the strong Cameroonian midfielder," said Venerato (via Area Napoli).

"But then no offers arrived and the boy's agent called Giuntoli and opened the solution proposed by the Neapolitan club".

Anguissa joined Napoli on a one-year loan, and according to reports, the Italian club will then have the right to buy him for a fee of €15m.

It's all a matter of proving himself in Serie A first.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/great-coup-club-praised-pulling-off-deal-fulham-player-agent-behind-late-move/

WhiteJC

100 apps, 42 goals – What's former Fulham man Ross McCormack up to these days?

From Championship top-scorer to being released from the National League, what has happened to Ross McCormack's career?

Following relegation to the Championship in the 2013/14 season, Fulham were keen to bounce straight back to the top flight and splashed out £11million on the former Leeds United striker.

McCormack went on to have two very successful seasons at the club where he scored 42 goals and was also included in the Championship PFA Team of the Year in 2014 – in total, McCormack scored 42 goals in 100 games in all competitions for Fulham.

However, after finishing in 20th-place, Aston Villa came calling for Fulham's talisman and paid a Championship record fee at the time of £12 million.

Villa manager Steve Bruce then revealed that McCormack had been dropped from the first team squad for 'continually missing training', going on to claim that he was ;nowhere near fit enough to play and be involved'.

Following that, the striker had a brief loan spell at Nottingham Forest where he appeared seven times and scored one goal.

After struggling in England, McCormack looked elsewhere to try and recover his fitness and more importantly his career- he signed a one-year loan deal at Australian side Melbourne City.

He scored 14 goals in 17 games for the club but was then dropped from the Melbourne City squad for being 'exceptionally late to training'.

He tried his luck again in Australia but this time at Central Coast Mariners and ended up playing alongside World Record Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt, where he provided the assist for Bolt's only goal.

The previous Scottish International was released at the end of the 18/19 season and would then have a year out of the game. However, in September 2020, he made a shock move to National League side Aldershot Town.

The former Leeds player appeared twice in the National League and was recently one of the players they released in the summer.

At the age of 35, we have more than likely seen the end of McCormack's playing career. With 120 Championship goals to his name though, he will no doubt go down as an EFL legend.

https://the72.co.uk/248973/100-apps-42-goals-whats-former-fulham-man-ross-mccormack-up-to-these-days/

WhiteJC

Report: Newcastle defender Emil Krafth refused to join Fulham yesterday

Newcastle United defender Emil Krafth is said to have refused a move to Fulham on transfer deadline day.

The Sweden international was apparently the subject of some late interest from the Cottagers.

The Telegraph released an article this morning dissecting what actually happened yesterday.

And they mention the proposed loan move for Hamza Choudhury to come to St. James' Park.

Newcastle tried to sign him – as they did back in January – but balked at the loan fee and the cost of his wages.

It is also explained that Newcastle then informed Choudhury and Leicester that they weren't doing the deal, because Krafth was refusing a move to Fulham.

he £58,000-a-week full-back (Spotrac) departing would have freed up a squad space for Choudhury to come in.

Newcastle could have gotten around Krafth refusal

Krafth may not have wanted to join Fulham.

That is fair enough, but Newcastle could surely still have landed Choudhury if they were prepared to leave out Martin Dubravka from their Premier League squad. As well as just paying the loan fee – said to be £1.5 million.

The Slovakian stopper need not be registered the first time around as he is injured, and Freddie Woodman and Karl Darlow are good enough alternatives.

Sky Sports reported last week that Dubravka was facing a further eight week out after his foot surgery. The club could surely afford to not name him.

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/transfers/report-newcastle-defender-emil-krafth-refused-to-join-fulham-yesterday/

WhiteJC

Result: Harry Wilson has penalty saved as Wales draw Finland friendly

Wales were left to rue Harry Wilson's poor penalty in 0-0 friendly draw with Finland in Helsinki.

Wilson was presented with a glorious opportunity after 25 minutes to hand Wales a morale-boosting victory ahead of their World Cup qualifiers against Belarus and Estonia.

Brennan Johnson's trickery had created the chance but Wilson's kick was too close to Finland goalkeeper Carljohan Eriksson, who guessed correctly to his right on his debut.

Substitute Rubin Colwill also spurned a close-range opportunity and not even the late arrival of Real Madrid's Gareth Bale could reward Wales' increasing superiority.

Wales had been hit by a raft of withdrawals ahead of their second visit to Helsinki in the space of 12 months.

Aaron Ramsey, Joe Rodon, David Brooks and Neco Williams were among several players ruled out by injury, while goalkeeper Adam Davies had tested positive for coronavirus.

Kieffer Moore, who scored the late winner when Wales won a Nations League clash in Helsinki last September, was deemed a close contact of Davies and was also unavailable.

Bale was named among the substitutes, with interim boss Robert Page mindful of those two World Cup qualifiers.

Leicester goalkeeper Danny Ward – the sole survivor of Wales' 4-0 defeat to Denmark at Euro 2020 – led a starting XI possessing just 160 caps.

Johnson made his first start after two substitute appearances, with the Nottingham Forest youngster operating in an advanced role on the right of a 3-4-3 formation.

Finland also fielded an experimental side and Wales settled the quicker with Wilson, sent off on his last appearance for the national team just over two months ago, particularly prominent.

Ethan Ampadu headed over a Dylan Levitt free-kick and Wilson saw an effort blocked inside the opening 10 minutes.

Wilson soon put the ball in the net but the assistant referee's flag was up for offside against Johnson.

Both goalkeepers were being well protected but that was to change when Johnson induced a rash challenge from Niko Hamalainen.

Wilson stepped forward but, just like Bale had done against Turkey at the Euros, the Fulham forward failed to convert from 12 yards.

The tempo dropped as half-time approached and Page turned to his bench at the interval.

Goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey replaced Ward to win his 97th cap and fellow substitute Ben Davies took the armband.

Wilson saw another shot blocked but Finland began to show more ambition, with Tom Lockyer and Levitt called upon to deflect efforts wide of Hennessey's goal.

Tyler Roberts' endeavour won Wales a free-kick which signalled danger as Wilson has developed quite a scoring reputation from outside the penalty area.

Wilson beat the wall but not the diving Eriksson, who comfortably pushed the ball to safety.

Eriksson was grateful moments later to see Matt Smith's low drive skid just wide of his far post.

The numerous changes seemed to work in Wales' favour as the fluency Finland had showed at the start of the second half escaped them.

Wales were also galvanised by the arrival of Bale, who had two speculative attempts in the brief period he was on the pitch, but they could not find a breakthrough.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/finland/result/result-harry-wilson-has-penalty-saved-as-wales-draw-finland-friendly_461897.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Wales and Finland play out goalless draw in Helsinki friendly

WALES were left to rue Harry Wilson's poor penalty in 0-0 friendly draw with Finland in Helsinki.

Wilson was presented with a glorious opportunity after 25 minutes to hand Wales a morale-boosting victory ahead of their World Cup qualifiers against Belarus and Estonia.

Brennan Johnson's trickery had created the chance but Wilson's kick was too close to Finland goalkeeper Carljohan Eriksson, who guessed correctly to his right on his debut.

Substitute Rubin Colwill also spurned a close-range opportunity and not even the late arrival of Real Madrid's Gareth Bale could reward Wales' increasing superiority.

Wales had been hit by a raft of withdrawals ahead of their second visit to Helsinki in the space of 12 months.

Aaron Ramsey, Joe Rodon, David Brooks and Neco Williams were among several players ruled out by injury, while goalkeeper Adam Davies had tested positive for coronavirus.

Kieffer Moore, who scored the late winner when Wales won a Nations League clash in Helsinki last September, was deemed a close contact of Davies and was also unavailable.

Bale was named among the substitutes, with interim boss Robert Page mindful of those two World Cup qualifiers.

Leicester goalkeeper Danny Ward - the sole survivor of Wales' 4-0 defeat to Denmark at Euro 2020 - led a starting XI possessing just 160 caps.

Johnson made his first start after two substitute appearances, with the Nottingham Forest youngster operating in an advanced role on the right of a 3-4-3 formation.

Finland also fielded an experimental side and Wales settled the quicker with Wilson, sent off on his last appearance for the national team just over two months ago, particularly prominent.

Ethan Ampadu headed over a Dylan Levitt free-kick and Wilson saw an effort blocked inside the opening 10 minutes.

Wilson soon put the ball in the net but the assistant referee's flag was up for offside against Johnson.

Both goalkeepers were being well protected but that was to change when Johnson induced a rash challenge from Niko Hamalainen.

Wilson stepped forward but, just like Bale had done against Turkey at the Euros, the Fulham forward failed to convert from 12 yards.

The tempo dropped as half-time approached and Page turned to his bench at the interval.

Goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey replaced Ward to win his 97th cap and fellow substitute Ben Davies took the armband.

Wilson saw another shot blocked but Finland began to show more ambition, with Tom Lockyer and Levitt called upon to deflect efforts wide of Hennessey's goal.

Tyler Roberts' endeavour won Wales a free-kick which signalled danger as Wilson has developed quite a scoring reputation from outside the penalty area.

Wilson beat the wall but not the diving Eriksson, who comfortably pushed the ball to safety.

Eriksson was grateful moments later to see Matt Smith's low drive skid just wide of his far post.

The numerous changes seemed to work in Wales' favour as the fluency Finland had showed at the start of the second half escaped them.

Wales were also galvanised by the arrival of Bale, who had two speculative attempts in the brief period he was on the pitch, but they could not find a breakthrough.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19552555.wales-finland-play-goalless-draw-helsinki-friendly/

Andy S

Chalobah had less than a year left on his contract. Watford offered him a five year contract but should Watford get relegated their policy is to reduce it by 50%. That is why Hughes went to palace as well