Main Menu

Penalty Misses

Started by ChesterTheTabby, August 28, 2021, 04:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordedmundo

Quote from: LC on August 31, 2021, 04:58:31 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 31, 2021, 04:31:10 AM
Quote from: RoyTund on August 30, 2021, 11:26:30 AM
Haven't we been here last season and that year under Slav? The last thing you want to be doing is changing a pen taker every time someone misses. It makes sense that Mitro is our pen taker and I believe he is for serbia. That should only change if he doesn't want to take it. Having said that, he could have done with putting that in.

Also I find it odd when people say no pro footballer should miss. It's like saying a striker should never miss a good chance.

Mitrovic has only scored 65% of his penalties. The vast majority of our squad of 25 players  (maybe 18 of 25) would score more than 50% of the time, you would expect a couple to be better than 65% (Ivan has scored around 80% of his penalties).

Regardless, if we get promoted, we should invest in a first XI left winger (or other position) that can score at least 75% of their penalties. At extra five points last season would have made a huge difference.

The best penalty taker I've seen for Fulham is Danny Murphy, some say Heidar Helguson, but for me Murphy was the best.

Going back further - Kevin Lock, Justin Skinner and Mark Blake were all great penalty takers. Whereas our record all time goalscorer (Ivor!) was worse than Mitro at taking them. If I remember rightly he missed two in a cup penalty shootout with Aldershot!

RaySmith

If in doubt , we were always advised to go straight down the middle, hard and low:  focus on the ball, and put the laces through it - the keeper usually dives one side or the other.

Whatever, you need to be decisive, and hard and low into a corner, without dithering is the best option if you feel confident enough about placing it.

Berbatov was the only one I've seen who could  confidently bring off the  tricky, sleight off foot kind every time - I don't think he missed a pen in this country, and not for Fulham anyway, but so many others come a cropper 'fannying about' , including an important one for Fulham at West Ham last season! as said.

Yes, remember Jim Langley, being a great pen taker for Fulham , but he was remembered  for missing an important one for England, which may have affected his international career, but a great, long serving hero for Fulham.

cmg

Quote from: RaySmith on August 31, 2021, 09:56:38 AM

Yes, remember Jim Langley, being a great pen taker for Fulham , but he was remembered  for missing an important one for England, which may have affected his international career, but a great, long serving hero for Fulham.

Although Jim's uncharacteristic miss against Portugal (we won 2-1) at Wembley (he sent the keeper the wrong way but hit the opposite post) probably didn't help his cause it was the next match v Yugoslavia in Belgrade that put paid to his international career. The right-winger he was marking, Petaković, scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 stuffing orchestrated by the little magician Dragoslav Šekularac.

dgnffc

Strike Harry Wilson off the list  :Get Coat gif:

filham

Quote from: Fulham 442 on August 29, 2021, 06:25:34 PM
Wilson would be my choice for pens..
Yes, Wilson seems a likely candidate but we haven't seen him take a penalty yet.
Cairney would have been my choice, such a sweet left foot, but he has demonstrated he knows how to miss them,  Wilson could do likewise.

Fulham 442

Quote from: dgnffc on September 01, 2021, 05:36:35 PM
Yes just seen his miss for Wales on SSN! What we all know is it would be good to have a nailed on penalty taker along the lines of Berba or Murphy

KallioRocks

I saw the game live, just got into my car. A terrible penalty... but Harry was his usual dangerous self in open play.

cmg

...and Ronaldo. Shows how wise we were to give him a swerve.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Lordedmundo on August 31, 2021, 09:50:05 AM

Going back further - Kevin Lock, Justin Skinner and Mark Blake were all great penalty takers. Whereas our record all time goalscorer (Ivor!) was worse than Mitro at taking them. If I remember rightly he missed two in a cup penalty shootout with Aldershot!

I am pretty certain I have seen Gordon Davies (Ivor) take a penalty with Kevin Lock on the field. I really fail to understand how decisions around penalty takers can be so poor in general, although none could be worse than that. I remember Kevin Lock had both power and precision, he lacked deception but that didn't matter much.

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: cmg on September 01, 2021, 08:02:40 PM

...and Ronaldo. Shows how wise we were to give him a swerve.
And then Ronaldo pops up with TWO late headers making him all time leading goalscorer in men's international football. Quite a feat.

MartyFFC

Arguably the best penalty taker in the modern game is a central defender, i.e. Sergio Ramos; I can remember reading how he'd scored 22 on the spin. When you think about it even Messi is poor from the spot, and only keeps taking them because he's Lionel Messi. It's all in the mind and so perhaps Harrison Reed could be worth a shout as someone else suggested, rather than just going through the attack-minded players

cmg

Quote from: MartyFFC on September 02, 2021, 07:40:46 AM
Arguably the best penalty taker in the modern game is a central defender, i.e. Sergio Ramos;

Good call.
Transfermarkt credit him with 30 scored/5 failed.
Only 1 miss for Real and the overall record rather spoiled by missing his last 2 for Spain v. Switzerland (draw 1-1). Don't know if the Spanish fans were demanding his replacement after that game!

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: cmg on September 02, 2021, 12:15:35 PM
Quote from: MartyFFC on September 02, 2021, 07:40:46 AM
Arguably the best penalty taker in the modern game is a central defender, i.e. Sergio Ramos;

Good call.
Transfermarkt credit him with 30 scored/5 failed.
Only 1 miss for Real and the overall record rather spoiled by missing his last 2 for Spain v. Switzerland (draw 1-1). Don't know if the Spanish fans were demanding his replacement after that game!
Ramos' overall goalscoring record is ridiculous considering he's a central defender. Something like over 200 career goals from that position. A great record