News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Some are getting carried away - this is the Championship - we are not invincible

Started by 3 Cherries, September 01, 2021, 07:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Ronic

Quote from: Blawarmy on September 03, 2021, 09:39:55 PM
Bookies have us at 13/8 to win the division, so it looks like a few people fancy us already.

Before someone comes on and starts having a moan. Yes the chances of it happening are slim. It's a long season etc etc but don't we go to a football match thinking we might win? This is just an extension of that, a flight of fancy in what might be a very brief purple patch (now I'm miserable). There again we might win the league (I've cheered up).

Rupert

Quote from: I Ronic on September 03, 2021, 10:16:24 PM
Bookies have us at 13/8 to win the division, so it looks like a few people fancy us already.

Before someone comes on and starts having a moan. Yes the chances of it happening are slim. It's a long season etc etc but don't we go to a football match thinking we might win? This is just an extension of that, a flight of fancy in what might be a very brief purple patch (now I'm miserable). There again we might win the league (I've cheered up).

I completely agree with what you say, For me the issue is some of our colleagues have been playing up to the crowd, bragging that we are going to run away with the league. Now, it is possible that we may do just that, and I would love it if we did. However, if by some freak chance, we lose a match or two, we could have a lot of flak from rival fans, laughing at us for thinking we would easily dominate them. I, and others, are merely pointing out that we do not all hold that view. Not yet.

If you recall the 2000-2001 season, we were doing rather well, and we faced Blackburn towards the end of the season. We were top, they were seven points behind, both of us had more or less guaranteed promotion. There was a kerfuffle raised when, rather than accepting the two best teams were clashing in what would probably be a good, competitive match, Blackburn's manager, Souness, started banging on about how his team were clearly superior to us. His reasoning went along the lines that they had struggled until October, when they were 15th, but had then gone on a fantastic run, while we had wobbled after Cookie Coleman had his car crash.
Suddenly, there was a lot more riding on the game. The desire was to ram Sourpuss' words back down his throat. We started poorly, went 1-0 down, then Rufus got sent off. I was there and recall a sinking feeling, that even if we won the league, bloody Sourpuss would still claim his lot were superior. Still, we persevered, and just on halftime Steve Finnan floated a hopeful ball into their area, their goalie and a defender got in each others way, and Saha scored.
The second half was torture, 45 minutes of unrelenting pressure, all down the opposite end of their stadium. They fired in shot after shot. Some missed, some were blocked, some were saved. 45 minutes were up, the fourth official held up his board, three minutes added on. I turned to whoever was sitting next to me and demanded to know where the hell they got three extra minutes from, when we suddenly broke upfield, and Sean Davies slammed the ball into the Blackburn net. Cue pandemonium in the away end, and the other three stands more or less emptied instantly. We held on to win 2-1, and afterwards their stadium screen started to broadcast a post match interview with Sourpuss, who still claimed his team were superior, despite losing to our ten men, but the derision directed at him by us persuaded them to cut the feed.

By his bragging, his arrogance, the Blackburn manager turned a victory into a triumph. We have never been an arrogant team. People like us for that. We give credit to the opposition when appropriate. People respect that. Opposition fans have problems laughing at us, because we are usually the ones providing the punchline and laughing at ourselves first.
The problem is, we stopped being that type of club twenty five years ago. Any of our fans under the age of thirty have no memories of Trinder's Fulham, Clay's Fulham, Hill's Fulham. Many of those fans are the current group of keyboard warriors, and to my older eyes, these people do not understand Fulham, my Fulham. I read things like "We belong in the Premiership" and shudder. We do not belong there. We belong wherever we have earned our place. This season we belong in the Championship. I recall when we belonged in Division Three, and did our best to belong in the Conference. I would not wish that experience on our younger fans (if for no more reason that I would have to endure it too, once was enough), but I do wonder if we old farts are not better off for going through it. We appreciate our astonishing good fortune all the more for not regarding it as some sort of birthright.

I like being a Fulham fan. I like us being a friendly club. I like people respecting us. I like people not thinking of us as arrogant, because I certainly am not. I hope this explains why I, and others of my ilk, get concerned when we have fans telling all and sundry that we are going to p*** the league. We will crow as loudly as anyone if we do go on to do it, but that would be because we have done it. Until then, please keep your powder dry.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

H4usuallysitting

Let's be happy - at long last we're witnessing some decent footie....win or lose - keep this up, and we'll be in the mix for promotion

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Rupert on September 04, 2021, 08:42:09 AM

I completely agree with what you say, For me the issue is some of our colleagues have been playing up to the crowd, bragging that we are going to run away with the league. Now, it is possible that we may do just that, and I would love it if we did. However, if by some freak chance, we lose a match or two, we could have a lot of flak from rival fans, laughing at us for thinking we would easily dominate them. I, and others, are merely pointing out that we do not all hold that view. Not yet.

If you recall the 2000-2001 season, we were doing rather well, and we faced Blackburn towards the end of the season. We were top, they were seven points behind, both of us had more or less guaranteed promotion. There was a kerfuffle raised when, rather than accepting the two best teams were clashing in what would probably be a good, competitive match, Blackburn's manager, Souness, started banging on about how his team were clearly superior to us. His reasoning went along the lines that they had struggled until October, when they were 15th, but had then gone on a fantastic run, while we had wobbled after Cookie Coleman had his car crash.
Suddenly, there was a lot more riding on the game. The desire was to ram Sourpuss' words back down his throat. We started poorly, went 1-0 down, then Rufus got sent off. I was there and recall a sinking feeling, that even if we won the league, bloody Sourpuss would still claim his lot were superior. Still, we persevered, and just on halftime Steve Finnan floated a hopeful ball into their area, their goalie and a defender got in each others way, and Saha scored.
The second half was torture, 45 minutes of unrelenting pressure, all down the opposite end of their stadium. They fired in shot after shot. Some missed, some were blocked, some were saved. 45 minutes were up, the fourth official held up his board, three minutes added on. I turned to whoever was sitting next to me and demanded to know where the hell they got three extra minutes from, when we suddenly broke upfield, and Sean Davies slammed the ball into the Blackburn net. Cue pandemonium in the away end, and the other three stands more or less emptied instantly. We held on to win 2-1, and afterwards their stadium screen started to broadcast a post match interview with Sourpuss, who still claimed his team were superior, despite losing to our ten men, but the derision directed at him by us persuaded them to cut the feed.

By his bragging, his arrogance, the Blackburn manager turned a victory into a triumph. We have never been an arrogant team. People like us for that. We give credit to the opposition when appropriate. People respect that. Opposition fans have problems laughing at us, because we are usually the ones providing the punchline and laughing at ourselves first.
The problem is, we stopped being that type of club twenty five years ago. Any of our fans under the age of thirty have no memories of Trinder's Fulham, Clay's Fulham, Hill's Fulham. Many of those fans are the current group of keyboard warriors, and to my older eyes, these people do not understand Fulham, my Fulham. I read things like "We belong in the Premiership" and shudder. We do not belong there. We belong wherever we have earned our place. This season we belong in the Championship. I recall when we belonged in Division Three, and did our best to belong in the Conference. I would not wish that experience on our younger fans (if for no more reason that I would have to endure it too, once was enough), but I do wonder if we old farts are not better off for going through it. We appreciate our astonishing good fortune all the more for not regarding it as some sort of birthright.

I like being a Fulham fan. I like us being a friendly club. I like people respecting us. I like people not thinking of us as arrogant, because I certainly am not. I hope this explains why I, and others of my ilk, get concerned when we have fans telling all and sundry that we are going to p*** the league. We will crow as loudly as anyone if we do go on to do it, but that would be because we have done it. Until then, please keep your powder dry.

A rational, balanced and Judicious response Rupert and I agree with your analogy.
As a side note, are you aware of the fact you have the same middle name as Attila The Hun.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham 442

A great post and sums up well how I think and feel as a Fulham fan.  PS  I have just watched the highlights of the added time in that Blackburn game.  Fabulous!

Twig

Loved Rupert's post and fully agree with it. As another older supporter I loved the fact that we were a club with a bit of humility about us.  It doesn't prevent us enjoying and celebrating success but stops short of arrogance.

Matt10

Davis winner was sensational, but so was his "promotion jig".

I'm of the belief that it's very early days right now, but I also don't mind anyone getting carried away. Let them do what they want, act how they want. In a world where suffering is constantly a headline, let individuals have their glimpses of joy through their club. It's not about being friendly or arrogant - or even requiring a need to have an identity. It's about being in the moments that lead them towards happiness.

Anyway, here's the highlights I found (made) of that Blackburn match:

Fulham 442

Thanks for posting this Matt.  Thankfully it looks as though we have another good season to look forward to!

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 02, 2021, 10:45:08 AM
Quote from: MJG on September 02, 2021, 08:24:01 AM
If you can't get carried away (a little at least) now when can you?

When we're 20 games in with a substantial lead in the top 2 and unbeaten I'd say.
082.gif
Too many people, especially on social media, being irrationally over confident 5 games into a 40+ game season.

Let's enjoy our strong start and not attempt to write checks our team can't cash.   We don't know how we'll match up against other sides once they've seen how other teams have schemed against us.

On a day where we've been the better side, yet haven't been clinical...yet the other team scores from a set piece...  It's coming.

082.gif 082.gif 082.gif 082.gif 082.gif

I want to be a part of YOUR Fulham!

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Matt10 on September 04, 2021, 02:01:50 PM
Davis winner was sensational, but so was his "promotion jig".

I'm of the belief that it's very early days right now, but I also don't mind anyone getting carried away. Let them do what they want, act how they want. In a world where suffering is constantly a headline, let individuals have their glimpses of joy through their club. It's not about being friendly or arrogant - or even requiring a need to have an identity. It's about being in the moments that lead them towards happiness.

Anyway, here's the highlights I found (made) of that Blackburn match:

I've grown to like Souness on the tv, he speaks a lot of sense.

But this is my all time favourite Fulham thing.  Sean's interview afterwards was brilliant too.

cottage expat

Quote from: Twig on September 04, 2021, 01:40:30 PM
Loved Rupert's post and fully agree with it. As another older supporter I loved the fact that we were a club with a bit of humility about us.  It doesn't prevent us enjoying and celebrating success but stops short of arrogance.

Agree 100%. In think anyone who has supported Fulham for close to 60 yards, as I have, must by definition be endowed with a measure of humility. 

Rupert

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 04, 2021, 11:49:19 AM

A rational, balanced and Judicious response Rupert and I agree with your analogy.
As a side note, are you aware of the fact you have the same middle name as Attila The Hun.

I have several things in common with Attila. I am left handed, he was too. As was Alexander the Great, who I also share a middle name with. Spooky.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Rupert on September 04, 2021, 06:42:02 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 04, 2021, 11:49:19 AM

I have several things in common with Attila. I am left handed, he was too. As was Alexander the Great, who I also share a middle name with. Spooky.

For that I Salute you.

Never forget your Roots.

3 Cherries

Wow against Blackpool

Our first loss - we looked tired and very much NOT invincible

Jules

I knew we were getting carried away with ourselves. This is the championship! It's a long hard season. Manager of the month cursed us and the international break shafted our players fitness and momentum. Hey ho, we've lost now, dust ourselves off and get firing again