https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gazzaniga

Started by Denver Fulham, September 11, 2021, 05:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

Maybe we can get Areola back if it looks like we are going up

WindyCity

Gazzaniga probably had his best game yesterday in a FFC shirt.  Made several very good saves.  BUT, to be honest, I expect those saves to be made at this level.  He has had very little to do in most of the games so far except to watch balls go past him.  So fair play, nice game v BCF.  That said, he did almost gift BCF a goal.  Very poor play that.  I agree with many in this thread that he looks very shaky in goal, and I would venture to say at some point he'll cost the team, and feel Rodak should be given a look, although probably won't happen until Gazz major faux pas.  Also, still feel that despite the poor defense, he should have made the save on the goal that beat us v Blackpool.

AshfordFFC

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 16, 2021, 02:44:50 PM
Gazza does look nervous at crucial times, and this obsession with parrying the ball as opposed to catching it is a huge shortcoming for a keeper at this level.
Having said that he got Ream off the hook and made a couple really decent saves with excellent reflexes, so his keeping of goal since he has been with Fulham is a bit of a mixed bag.
Nevertheless as mentioned above he could be seen as a dodgy keeper, and if I was defending in front of him I would not feel that comfortable.
End of the day we won 4 1 away at a ground which is not particularly welcoming on a pitch that looked as if it had been doctored to favour the home team which gave the impression of being a sticky and unpredictable surface. So there were mitigating circumstances on this occasion, but for me he has not convinced me that he is good enough for our team as first choice yet.

:plus one:  Yes, he made great saves, yes he made a great long clearance for wilson amongst others, but I was watching the match on sky and to be frank, how we got through the first 15 - 20 minutes without conceeding I have no idea, his tippy tappy passing around the defence, and on one occassion without even looking, had me in a nervous wreck, so the jury still out for me on him tbh.

Jim©

Quote from: AshfordFFC on September 16, 2021, 05:16:07 PM
Gazza does look nervous at crucial times, and this obsession with parrying the ball as opposed to catching it is a huge shortcoming for a keeper at this level.
Having said that he got Ream off the hook and made a couple really decent saves with excellent reflexes, so his keeping of goal since he has been with Fulham is a bit of a mixed bag.
Nevertheless as mentioned above he could be seen as a dodgy keeper, and if I was defending in front of him I would not feel that comfortable.
End of the day we won 4 1 away at a ground which is not particularly welcoming on a pitch that looked as if it had been doctored to favour the home team which gave the impression of being a sticky and unpredictable surface. So there were mitigating circumstances on this occasion, but for me he has not convinced me that he is good enough for our team as first choice yet.

:plus one:  Yes, he made great saves, yes he made a great long clearance for wilson amongst others, but I was watching the match on sky and to be frank, how we got through the first 15 - 20 minutes without conceeding I have no idea, his tippy tappy passing around the defence, and on one occassion without even looking, had me in a nervous wreck, so the jury still out for me on him tbh.

Not sure they had a shot on target in the first 15-20 minutes \(perhaps apart from the free kick he saved and held). It was the last 25 mins where he made a number of very good saves.
Agree his passing out was poor, but Ream had a word with him after his worst one and no errors after that- showed decent captaincy and an understanding from Gazza too. Thought he looked pretty good.

Twig

I think the truth is that we have two very decent keeprs. Neither looks like ever becoing a VDS but very decent nonetheless.  Personally I marginally prefer Rodak as he leaves me feeling less nervous but I understand the views of those who feel that Gazza shades it.  I am slightly perplexed as to why we brought Gazza in given that there isn't a lot to choose between them and a bit concerned that Rodak might be seeking a transfer by the end of the season given Silva's obvious preference for Gazza. But I guess that's life.

copthornemike

Quote from: Twig on September 16, 2021, 05:40:56 PM
I think the truth is that we have two very decent keeprs. Neither looks like ever becoing a VDS but very decent nonetheless.  Personally I marginally prefer Rodak as he leaves me feeling less nervous but I understand the views of those who feel that Gazza shades it.  I am slightly perplexed as to why we brought Gazza in given that there isn't a lot to choose between them and a bit concerned that Rodak might be seeking a transfer by the end of the season given Silva's obvious preference for Gazza. But I guess that's life.
Agree 100%  0001.jpeg

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Jim© on September 16, 2021, 05:24:09 PM

Not sure they had a shot on target in the first 15-20 minutes \(perhaps apart from the free kick he saved and held). It was the last 25 mins where he made a number of very good saves.
Agree his passing out was poor, but Ream had a word with him after his worst one and no errors after that- showed decent captaincy and an understanding from Gazza too. Thought he looked pretty good.

His worst giveaway came late in the 1st half, but he made several solid saves in the second half to make the scoreline flattering.

I'm not rooting against the guy. If he wants to become and stay awesome, great. He's just been a very mixed bag, even yesterday. Hopefully, his confidence is up after seeing more action and contributing and he'll kick on.

General

Quote from: Denver Fulham on September 16, 2021, 08:18:30 PM
Quote from: Jim© on September 16, 2021, 05:24:09 PM

His worst giveaway came late in the 1st half, but he made several solid saves in the second half to make the scoreline flattering.

I'm not rooting against the guy. If he wants to become and stay awesome, great. He's just been a very mixed bag, even yesterday. Hopefully, his confidence is up after seeing more action and contributing and he'll kick on.

Wondering how much of his uncertainty is due to having not played week in week out for a long time whilst at Tottenham. Could just be finding his confidence and feet again.

Games like Birmingham, especially the second half will boost his confidence- rest can be worked on or coached.

Perhaps he needs a mistake to calm the nerves? We came up against a few teams early doors in Huddersfield and Stoke who we took to the cleaners in some respects, but you could argue they've been rejuvenated or much more focused since then and are subsequently doing well - sometimes things like that can really trigger a strong positive response.

cookieg

I find it unbelievable that there are people on here just waiting for the "told you so" moment.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: cookieg on September 17, 2021, 09:49:32 AM
I find it unbelievable that there are people on here just waiting for the "told you so" moment.

I don't. Its what they always do.

Southcoastffc

I don't understand what the fuss is about. A number of really good saves. And just look.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ALG01

I am no0t sure why theymessages have to be quite so polarised. It is clkear that the current first chice keeper is not ideal. he does not command his area and seems to flap badly at crosses. On the other hand he is a reasonable shot stopper and generally good with his feet although birmingham was not his finest. Birmingham hads a succession of chance that a better team would have taken some of and a few were down to him not dominating the the box.

Silva likes him, we are top and conceeded very few. I wouldn't make a change yet but I feel sure that that moment will come as and when opponents exploit his shortcomings. But surely on the floor he seems to be a step up.

cookieg

So Rodak comes in and starts flapping at crosses and drops the ball, his distribution isn't good. Will there be the same criticism? Or because he's considered "one of our own" he'll be let off?

Max Headroom

I wasn't happy with Gazzaniga to begin with as his distribution was dodgy (and tweeted as such) but second half he did a stunning kick to Wilson and made a string of good saves. So I eat my words

MartyFFC

He's looked dodgy at times, that's a fact - however he may well settle and prove to be our best keeper since time began; I certainly hope so. It's genuinely bewildering however why the same people time and time again get so upset and affronted when anyone dares to question a player. It's OK to think differently about things, and doesn't have to descend into outrage

sunburywhite

He seems to kick further than anyone else we have had
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me