Preston NE
Reading
3-1
Peterborough
West Brom
0-0
Derby

WhiteJC

Fabio Carvalho: The numbers behind Fulham's much-wanted creative force – data analysis

Fulham youngster Fabio Carvalho has been a regular starter for the EFL Championship side and is recognized as one of the brightest young players in the league.

Carvalho has managed three goals and one assist this season and has attracted interest from big clubs.

Let's take a look at his stats to know more about his performances this season and to see whether the hype around him is justified.

Carvalho has played as an attacking midfielder in all the five matches he started in. His heat map shows that he operates more towards the left side. His heat map also suggests that he has also tried to attack from the right but to a lesser extent.

He has a high XT from passes and when we look at his pass map we see that a lot of passes are attempted inside the opposition box. Only one ball was attempted into the 6-yard box and that ball carried the highest XT.

Carvalho has played all over the pitch when we look at the location of his received passes. He has managed to receive five passes in the opposition box and has converted three opportunities out of them. He has preferred to play more towards the left.

When looking at the above chart, the general rule is that the longer the bar the better the performance – you can see the league average in the middle and the % is the percentile rank the player is in.

The youngster has a very high percentile when it comes to attacking & creativity. He has been one of the main attacking threats for Fulham this season. His attacking actions success rate is high in the league. In the previous visuals, we can clearly see that he has received a lot of balls in the opposition penalty area and is highly ranked in this statistic. Overall he has is ranked as one of the best players in each department.

Carvalho has an assist to his name this season and also has a high expected assist rate so far. His passes into the final third have been less in number mainly due to his position, but the accuracy rate is very high. The variety of passing doesn't end here. Carvalho has also attempted more smart passes and through balls than more than half of the other league players.

We can clearly see that Carvalho is ranked very high in the league when it comes to attacking and creativity. These stats look like the main factors why big clubs are attracted to sign the youngster in the hope that he might grow into one of Europe's finest attacking midfielders.

https://eflanalysis.com/analysis/player-analysis/fabio-carvalho-fulham-efl-championship-2021-22-data-stats-analysis

WhiteJC

2 tweaks Marco Silva could make ahead of Fulham's trip to Birmingham City

Marco Silva will be keen for his Fulham side to bounce back this midweek after their first loss of the season came at the hands of Blackpool on Saturday.

The Cottagers had been untouchable before the international break and despite still being firmly fancied for automatic promotion, will be analysing a few things that went wrong at Bloomfield Road.

Silva's men created chances equating to under one expected goal for the first time in the league this season, with Neil Critchley's Tangerines defending extremely well and potentially providing a blueprint for the rest of the division on how to combat Fulham's star studded line-up.

Birmingham City pose an unorthodox threat with Marc Roberts' long throws, tall, physical forward players and skill from wide areas, it will be an interesting examination of Fulham's resolve.

Here, then, we take a look a two tactical tweaks Marco Silva could consider implementing for Fulham's trip to Birmingham City...

Neeskens Kebano
Neeskens Kebano has been a canny operator for Fulham, particularly at Championship level, since his arrival from Genk in 2016 and this season is no different.

The 29-year-old scored two crucial play-off semi final goals when the club were promoted to the Premier League in 2019/20 and can arguably be more effective than Domingos Quina and Ivan Cavaleiro who started in Blackpool.

He played an important role in Fulham's 2-1 away win at Millwall earlier on this season and there are parallels to be drawn between that match and this one, both sides who play direct football but can be vulnerable on the counter attack.

Harrison Reed
Harrison Reed is a classy midfielder who could fill in for a Premier League side if required, so for him to be playing second fiddle in the second tier speaks volumes to the strength in depth in Fulham's squad.

Jean-Michael Seri has been excellent so far this season however a double pivot with Reed could take them to another level.

Josh Onomah was deployed alongside the Ivorian last time out and he too has grown into an excellent player at Championship, but he is a player suited to a more advanced role.

He does not have the intelligence out of possession and in deeper areas than that of Reed.

The 26-year-old alongside Seri in midfield would give Silva a great deal of control at St Andrew's.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-tweaks-marco-silva-could-make-ahead-of-fulhams-trip-to-birmingham-city/

WhiteJC

Further details on Fulham's Andre Frank-Zambo Anguissa emerge after Napoli switch

Championship side Fulham have taken on 50% of midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa's wages during his season-long loan spell at Serie A side Napoli, according to Corriere dello Sport (via Sport Witness).

The wantaway Cameroonian submitted a transfer request to officials at Craven Cottage before their opening league match against Middlesbrough last month, all but confirming he wouldn't be in west London by the time the summer transfer window shut.

Premier League sides Arsenal and Aston Villa were two of the sides previously said to be interested in acquiring the 25-year-old's services, but it was Napoli who managed to seal a loan deal with an option to buy at the end of his temporary spell next summer.

With former Watford man Nathaniel Chalobah coming from Vicarage Road permanently as his replacement and the likes of Josh Onomah, Harrison Reed and Jean Michael Seri all part of Marco Silva's first-team plans, it looks as though Anguissa's career with the Cottagers could be over despite signing a one-year extension ahead of his loan to Italy, extending his stay in the English capital potentially until 2024.

Despite his temporary departure though, his presence at Craven Cottage is still being felt financially, with the Championship side set to take on half of his €3m salary and cancelling out the €500,000 loan fee they received as part of the agreement, as per Corriere dello Sport.

They could potentially generate a sizeable eight-figure fee for his services next summer though, with the quoted €15m (£12.7m) option to make the deal permanent is slightly higher than the £9m originally touted by the Daily Mail.

The Verdict:

In terms of Financial Fair Play, this expenditure won't be welcome for a side that will still be adapting to the finances of the Championship following their relegation from the Premier League last term.

They have received a loan fee from Napoli which will help to cushion this blow, but losing €1m on a player they can't even utilise must be a real source of frustration for Fulham, although his desperation to leave west London may have put the Italian outfit in a stronger position at the negotiating table.

The Cottagers will be hoping to offload him permanently if they remain in the second tier, considering the wage package he's likely to be on. But it will be interesting to see what Marco Silva (or his potential successor) do with the midfielder if they return to the top flight and Napoli decide not to activate that permanent option.

All four of Onomah, Reed and Seri and Chalobah are arguably capable of competing in the Premier League – so unless one or two of them leave in the next 12 months – the Cottagers may be the ones trying to force a move for Anguissa next summer.

After handing in a transfer request, it would be hard to see the 25-year-old making a comeback. Fulham fans will just be hoping they receive €15m instead of £9m for his services.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/further-details-on-fulhams-andre-frank-zambo-anguissa-emerge-after-napoli-switch/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva provides significant update on missing Fulham duo ahead of Birmingham clash

Fulham boss Marco Silva has revealed that Harry Wilson could feature against Birmingham City tomorrow but that Fabio Carvalho is likely to be out until at least Saturday.

The west London club were handed their first defeat of the season away at Blackpool on Saturday and now travel to St Andrew's to take on Birmingham City, who have made a strong start to the 2021/22 campaign under Lee Bowyer.

Both Carvalho and Wilson missed the 1-0 defeat to the Tangerines on the weekend, the former out due to an injury and the latter given a rest after featuring for Wales during the international break.

Speaking to club media, Silva revealed that the Welshman is set to return for tomorrow's game against the Blues but Fulham are likely to be without the teenager that has starred for them in the first month or so of the season.

He said: "Harry's okay. He's making steps to play tomorrow.

"We still have doubts on Fab, it's his foot. It looks difficult for him to be ready tomorrow, let's hope we can have him next Saturday."

The Verdict

The return of Wilson would be a real boost for Fulham, who will be looking to bounce back against Birmingham.

Their defeat to Blackpool will have taken them down a notch and they'll be keen to get back to winning ways straight away, though that's not going to be easy because Bowyer has his side playing well and with real belief and determination.

Adding Wilson, who has scored twice and added one assist in his three games since joining from Liverpool in the summer, will strengthen Silva's attacking options significantly.

The absence of Carvalho is undoubtedly a blow but it's good news the injury is not too serious and should see him return in time for the game against Reading on the weekend.

The 19-year-old has been in stunning form this term, scoring three times and providing one assist, and could prove a pivotal player in their promotion push.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/marco-silva-provides-significant-update-on-missing-fulham-duo-ahead-of-birmingham-clash/

WhiteJC

Pajaziti plans on making most of Silva's faith

Adrion Pajaziti has praised Marco Silva for putting his faith in Fulham's youngsters and is hoping to make further appearances after impressing on his debut at Birmingham last month.

The Kosovan under-21 midfielder has given a detailed interview to the Athletic's Peter Rutzler this morning, explaining how Fulham's new head coach has given him confidence after offering encouragement during his first few weeks in the job. The tidy central midfielder – long considered a potential star in Fulham's academy – got his opportunity after impressing during summer matches between Fulham's senior side and the under 23s during pre-season training at Motspur Park.

"We played a few games against the first team and I did quite well. I then trained a few times with them. It just happened quite quickly. When I found out I was starting, I was very excited. A bit nervous, but it was good nerves because it kept me on my toes. I was shocked to play the whole game. But I thought I played well. I was assured on the ball, and showed the gaffer that I can handle it at that level.

He just said to me, literally before we went out on the pitch, to 'just go and enjoy yourself. I've seen you play a few times you've got great ability, you deserve it, just have fun'. It's nice when you hear that, when the manager has faith in you. He didn't overcomplicate it too much for me and just let me play my football. I really enjoyed the experience, especially playing in front of the Fulham fans for the first time.

My target is to keep training in the first team more regularly and to get used to the environment, because it's very different to being in the reserve team or the under-18s," he says. "And to get used to the manager's philosophy. Hopefully I can get more minutes and kick on, and get into the first team as soon as possible really. But I know have to stay patient, and keep working hard."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/pajaziti-plans-on-making-most-of-silvas-faith/

WhiteJC

Wilson in contention to face Birmingham

Harry Wilson is in contention to returning to the Fulham starting line-up at Birmingham City tomorrow night after missing the defeat by Blackpool at the weekend, but Fabio Carvalho appears likely to miss out again.

Fulham head coach Marco Silva gave a positive update on the Welsh winger's fitness during this morning's pre-match press conference, but was more downbeat on teenager Carvalho, for whom Saturday's meeting with Reading at Craven Cottage might be a more realistic target.

Silva said: "Harry Wilson is good, he's okay. He's making steps to play tomorrow. We have some more doubts about Fabio. He got a knock to his foot, on his toe. Against Stoke he played with some pain in his foot, and after that it got a little bit worse. It's not something really, really serious, but we are trying to reduce the pain so he can train in a high intensity and can be ready to play as well."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/wilson-in-contention-to-face-birmingham/

WhiteJC

Wilson starts: The predicted Fulham XI to face Birmingham tomorrow

Fulham will be looking to bounce back from a surprise defeat to Blackpool at the weekend when they take on Birmingham City at St Andrew's on Wednesday night in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Cottagers have started this season in really good form and that is what made their loss at Bloomfield Road even more surprising, but that, of course, is the nature of the Championship.

Indeed, every game is tough and this week's against the Blues will be, too, with Lee Bowyer's men starting this season in decent nick themselves.

Silva will look to name a strong side, then, with him revealing ahead of the game that Harry Wilson is pushing to return from injury, though Fabio Carvalho will be missing.

That said, here's how Fulham could line up in the Midlands:

Domingos Quina and Nathaniel Chalobah made their debuts at the weekend but, of course, Fulham lost and it could be the case Silva looks to go back to something a bit more familiar from before the international break whilst the two bed in.

That could allow Harrison Reed to start, whilst Wilson comes back in to help support the attack.

We got a first glimpse of Rodrigo Muniz in a Fulham shirt at the weekend, too, but it seems unlikely he'll be starting against the Blues.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wilson-starts-the-predicted-fulham-xi-to-face-birmingham-tomorrow/

WhiteJC

Birmingham Team News

Marco Silva had mixed news on the condition of Harry Wilson and Fabio Carvalho, ahead of Wednesday's trip to Birmingham City.

The pair were both absent at the weekend, with Wilson suffering a dizzying injury on international duty, while Carvalho had a flare-up of the issue he suffered against Hull City.

"Harry Wilson is good, he's okay," Silva revealed. "He's making steps to play tomorrow.

"We have some more doubts about Fabio. He got a knock to his foot, on his toe.

"Against Stoke he played with some pain in his foot, and after that it got a little bit worse.

"It's not something really, really serious, but we are trying to reduce the pain so he can train in a high intensity and can be ready to play as well."

Fans will be able to purchase tickets on the gate at St Andrew's, cash only.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/september/Birmingham-Team-News/

WhiteJC

Wilson back for Fulham but Carvalho struggling with injury

Fulham will welcome back Harry Wilson but Fabio Carvalho is set to miss out at Birmingham City on Wednesday night.

Both players missed the below-par performance at Blackpool on Saturday as the Whites suffered their first loss of the season.

Wilson has recovered from concussion sustained playing for Wales, but Carvalho – the EFL player of the month for August – is struggling with the recurrence of a foot injury.

Manager Marco Silva admitted it's also too soon to pencil in Carvalho for Saturday at home to Reading.

Silva said:  "Harry Wilson is good, and taking the steps to play tomorrow.

"We have doubts about Fabio. He has a problem with his foot – in the toe.

"Sometimes players can play with the pain – he was OK to play against Stoke with some pain. After that, it becomes a little bit worse.

"It's nothing really serious, but we are trying to get to the pain. Saturday? We have to take it day by day and see on Friday."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/wilson-back-for-fulham-but-carvalho-struggling-with-injury

WhiteJC

Carvalho must deal with speculation over his future – Silva

Fabio Carvalho must deal with the pressure that comes from speculation over his future, says Marco Silva.

The youngster, whose Fulham contract expires at the end of the season, has yet to agree a new deal.

He has recently been linked with Real Madrid, having previously been touted for possible moves to top Premier League clubs.

Whites boss Silva said: "All the speculation is for him to deal with. He's a professional football player and he's mature for his age.

"If he's getting all this speculation he's doing something that is good."

Silva says he also hopes Carvalho is receiving good advice.

The Portuguese explained:  "I don't know what's happened out of then training ground with the people who are backing him – but I hope everyone stays on the same page, and advise Fabio in the right way. He's a young player who needs it.

"But I'm not seeing on a daily basis any different to the player he was at the beginning of the season – hungry, and happy to enjoy what he does."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/carvalho-must-deal-with-speculation-over-his-future-silva

WhiteJC

Carvalho coping with contract speculation, says Silva

Marco Silva says he has seen no signs that young Fulham star Fabio Carvalho has been affected by recent contract speculation.

The teenager, whose current Craven Cottage contract expires at the end of this season, has been linked with a move to the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid as well as several leading Premier League clubs after taking the Championship by storm. But Silva says such speculation is part of the modern game and believes it hasn't hindered the precocious playmaker in recent weeks.

The Fulham head coach told his press conference this morning:

"All the speculation is for him to deal with. He's a professional football player and he's mature for his age. If he's getting all this speculation he's doing something that is good.

I don't know what's happened out of then training ground with the people who are backing him – but I hope everyone stays on the same page, and advise Fabio in the right way. He's a young player who needs it. But I'm not seeing on a daily basis any different to the player he was at the beginning of the season – hungry, and happy to enjoy what he does."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/carvalho-coping-with-contract-speculation-says-silva/

WhiteJC

Lee Bowyer: We can compete

Lee Bowyer is expecting for his team to match Fulham when Blues welcome the side placed second in the Sky Bet Championship to St. Andrew's on Wednesday night.

The Cottagers visit B9 for the second time in less than a month after August's Carabao Cup meeting and, having lost just once in all competitions this term, will prove a good test for Blues.

But the hosts lie just two points behind Marco Silva's men in the early-season standings and the Head Coach is confident that his side will be capable of collecting the maximum, as they look to go four unbeaten in the league.

Speaking to the media at Wast Hills Training Ground, Bowyer expressed great confidence in his players as well as assessing what will be in store from the opposition in the face of another partisan B9 crowd.

He said: "I'd like to think, no matter what team we step out against, we can compete. We won't be fearing Fulham, we will respect them because they are a good side, but we will make it as difficult as we can for Fulham to leave with any points.

"Fulham are a good side, their strength in depth is frightening. That said, we are at home, we have the fans behind us and we will go out and give everything to get a good result.

"They move the ball well, all the players are confident in taking the ball and playing, their front five are very good and can punish you. They have got good quality, especially in the final third. Fulham are a real footballing team with Premier League quality in their side."

The midweek encounter gives Blues a chance to build on Friday night's victory over Derby County, one that was witnessed by an increased capacity and was the perfect return from the campaign's first international break.

Reflecting on the well-earned success over the Rams and the influence of Bluenoses, Bowyer told reporters: "[We are] very happy to get our first win at home in front of our fans, it was a really professional performance. I was very pleased with how we played.

"The fans have made a massive impact, you could tell with the noise on Friday what a difference they can make. It was great to see everyone back together, the appreciation between the fans and players when celebrating at the end. It was a good moment."

An already vocal crowd turned up the volume after 31 minutes when Scott Hogan hit his first goal on home soil this term, expertly hooking the ball past Kelle Roos for his third counter in six outings.

But the Boss was also keen to emphasise the value of his frontman's all-round efforts, both against Wayne Rooney's team and in every game to date.

Bowyer explained to the media: "He says he feels the fittest he has felt in years and is in a good place. He feels he could have had a couple more goals but as long as he keeps getting in the right position's [I know] he will score goals.

"I think it's important that when we get chances are strikers are in the right position to take them and Scotty is certainly doing that."

The forward department is just one area where competition for places is at a premium, with Blues enhancing their squad to a total of nine new arrivals during the summer.

This includes between the sticks and the Gaffer was keen to identify the displays of loanee Matija Sarkic after the Montenegrin recorded clean sheet number four of his Blues career last time out.

Bowyer said: "Matty has been very good, when you bring a new player in they are always out to be judged at the start.

Andy Marshall has done a great job with him, working hard with him. I am pleased for Matty, he has stepped up and he has really helped us out. He is improving every week."

https://www.bcfc.com/news/articles/2021/lee-bowyer-we-can-compete/

WhiteJC

Parkes signs professional deal

Teenage Fulham defender Stefan Parkes has put pen to paper on his first professional contract with the club.

The England youth international has long been considered one of the Fulham academy's most promising youngsters and has been capped by his country up to under-18 level. Parkes, equally adept at left back or centre half, enjoyed an excellent first season with the under-18s – making 24 appearances as Steve Wigley's side successfully retained their Premier League south title.

After signing his two year deal, Parkes told the club's official website:

"I can't put my emotions into words and I don't think it's fully sunken in yet. It's another milestone that I'm thankful to have achieved and it motivates me to work even harder. The coaches within the academy ensure us that at this club, age is no barrier. If you're good enough you'll get what you deserve. Seeing the boys step up drives me each day to keep on improving and hopefully I'll play in the first team myself."

Fulham's academy director Mike Cave added:

"I'm delighted that Stefan is continuing his journey with us having signed his professional contract. Stef has been a part of our academy for several years, demonstrating his talents as an attacking full-back. Even more impressively, he has suffered, come back from, and excelled following challenging periods on the side-line with injury. He represents the reward of hard work and endeavour and I'm excited to continue to watch his development as he pushes towards the next challenge and steps into the professional game."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/parkes-signs-professional-deal/

WhiteJC

Leeds and Real Madrid target Fabio Carvalho wins EFL award

Leeds United have been linked with a move to sign Fulham teenager Fabio Carvalho, who can now call himself an award-winner.

Carvalho, 19, was once on the book at Benfica before moving to England.

After a short spell with Balham, Carvalho joined the Fulham ranks in 2014 – and now looks set for stardom.

Carvalho made his Premier League debut last season and is now starting regularly as a playmaker for Marco Silva.

Carvalho attracting major interest from Leeds, West Ham and even Real Madrid

The Daily Mail reported over the summer that Leeds United and West Ham Untied were both keen on signing Carvalho.

Fulham managed to get out of the summer transfer window with Carvalho still at the club, but that interest won't just go away.

The Mail have since added that Real Madrid want Carvalho too, with lofty interest emerging.

Carvalho is out of contract at the end of the season and Leeds may well challenge Real for the teenager's signature.

Carvalho clinches EFL award

In August, Carvalho hit three goals and one assist in just five games.

Carvalho lit up the Championship, showing that he is more than ready to make an impact in the second tier.

On Monday, it was confirmed that Carvalho has now won the EFL's Young Player of the Month award for August.

Carvalho is thriving in the Championship and clearly on a path to stardom.

HIs performances aren't going unnoticed with Leeds and Real keen, and they have now been recognised with an award.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/09/14/leeds-and-real-madrid-target-fabio-carvalho-wins-efl-award/

WhiteJC

Fulham Next Test

In Off The Post

The following article has been written by one of our Trust members.  They are the opinions of that person and not necessarily those of Blues Trust.  Would you like to contribute a discussion point of your own about Birmingham City Football Club?  If so, we would be delighted to hear from you.

With confidence building and real belief emerging, Blues next game against Fulham is eagerly awaited. With a healthy league position and players performances consistently good, what is there not to like about life in B9?  Add the Deeney factor and it is easy to see why eyebrows are being raised as to what supporters feel about our chances in the Championship this season.

Fulham are obviously a class act despite their shock defeat by Blackpool last Saturday, and this next game is going to be a real test. But what pleases me most is the fact that we are consistently playing the way Lee Bowyer demands, with performances by every player reaching a high standard.  Hopefully, therefore, such consistency means not having to raise the bar or find an extra gear against certain teams like Fulham.

Again, what I like about Bowyer's approach to games is the simplicity of it all.  Players and supporters are understanding the logic. Against Derby we stood out as a very powerful team, with strengths all over the pitch. And our bench looked more than decent, especially the sight of Troy Deeney and Chuks Aneke.

Lee Bowyer may well tweak things in a minor way against Fulham, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Jutkiewicz give way to Deeney from the start with aerial balls kept to a minimum. So, for me it would be an attacking threat in the form of Deeney and Hogan, with Chong and Bela completing the offensive quartet.

Fulham and Peterborough this week are fixtures to be looked forward to, and why not?  With 6 points on offer I sense a determination within the camp to take the maximum.

Mitchell Bray

https://www.bluestrust.org/2021/09/fulham-next-test/

WhiteJC

Don Goodman shares big Birmingham City prediction ahead of Fulham clash

Sky Sports pundit Don Goodman has revealed that he believes Birmingham City could challenge for a top-six spot in the Championship this season.

The Blues have managed to make a positive start to the 2021/22 campaign after experiencing a resurgence under the guidance of manager Lee Bowyer earlier this year.

After leading Birmingham to safety in the Championship, the 44-year-old managed to bolster his squad this summer by signing the likes of Tahith Chong, Troy Deeney and Matija Sarkic.

Whereas Deeney has only featured once for his new side, Sarkic and Chong have both managed to illustrate some real signs of promise in the Championship.

The former of the two aforementioned players has kept four clean-sheets for Birmingham whilst the latter has been directly involved in two goals in five appearances.

Currently seventh in the Championship standings, the Blues will be determined to extend their current unbeaten league run to four games when they face Fulham on Wednesday.

Making reference to Birmingham, Goodman has admitted that he believes that they could emerge as legitimate contenders for a top-six finish if they maintain their consistency.

Speaking on the latest edition of the Sky Sports EFL Podcast about the Blues, the 55-year-old said: "They are seventh at the moment, they are three points off of the top, it is very early days but what I saw on Friday night [against Derby County] was the best, most complete performance with and without the ball that I've seen Birmingham City produce for a very, very long time.

"So there is an awful lot of cause for optimism.

"How they tempted Lee Bowyer to take that on in the first place is beyond me as I thought he was crazy taking that on but you look at what he has achieved.

"You know, I like the way he's got plan a, plan b, plan c, he can vary his tactics and he can vary his formations.

"He did it at Charlton, he's doing it again at Birmingham.

"I think if they can maintain those levels we saw on Friday they could be definitely pushing for a top-six spot."

The Verdict

When you consider just how promising Birmingham's performances have been this season, it is hard to disagree with Goodman's claim.

Whilst the Blues will need some of their key players to maintain their fitness if they are to achieve a great deal of success in the Championship, there is no reason why they shouldn't be aiming for a place in the top-six.

Considering that the likes of Jeremie Bela, Scott Hogan and Chong are all currently benefitting from Bowyer's guidance, it wouldn't be at all surprising if Birmingham deliver another eye-catching display against Fulham.

Having suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of the Cottagers in the League Cup last month, the Blues will be determined to get their revenge by sealing all three points in their showdown at St Andrew's tomorrow.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/don-goodman-shares-big-birmingham-city-prediction-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Onomah aims to bounce back at Birmingham

Josh Onomah wants Fulham to bounce back from the disappointment of defeat by Blackpool at the weekend by imposing their style on high-flying Birmingham City at St. Andrew's tomorrow night.

The midfielder admitted that Marco Silva's side were far from their fluent best and the Whites paid for a below-par performance by losing their unbeaten record at Bloomfield Road on Saturday. Onomah, who has enjoyed a lengthy run in the side this season, told FFCTV that the players are determined to learn from their mistakes and put things right in the Midlands:

"I feel like, especially after the international break, when we didn't have a full squad and not everyone was training together and for everyone to come back all at once, it affected us and it showed on the weekend. With the Championship, the games game thick and fast and we've got look to the next one. We did our analysis yesterday, learned from our mistakes and looked at Birmingham for tomorrow."

Onomah insists that Fulham's win over the Blues in the League Cup last month will have no baring on this fixture – principally because both sides had made wholesale changes for that clash. He insists that nobody will be taking the challenge posed by Lee Bowyer's men lightly:

"Every game is different. Every game you come with a different game plan. I'm sure Birmingham will have studied us, looked to find our weaknesses and will come and try and beat us. We've studied them and will look to beat them. When we played them in the Cup, they looked decent, they played well and we just done well to get the goals. They are a big club, they know the Championship and it ain't going to be an easy game.

"They are quite a physical team, I think they have got physical strikers and we're going to not let it be a physical game. We've going to try and show our identity and play how we've been playing in other games this season – where we've dominated and scored early goals and that's what we've going to look to try and do tomorrow."

Onomah revealed that he is greatly enjoying working under Silva and believes there is more improvement to come despite a consistent start to the new campaign.

I feel like me and the gaffer get along well. He's helped me to improve my game and I've been taking on his feedback. I've been trying to play well and stay in the team – obviously, there's a lot of competition as well, which is good for the team. I've been quite happy with my performance and I just want to add more with goals, assists and defensively as well.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/onomah-aims-to-bounce-back-at-birmingham/

WhiteJC

Lee Bowyer delivers passionate Birmingham City message ahead of Fulham test

Birmingham City boss Lee Bowyer insists that his side will not fear Fulham when they welcome the high-flyers to St. Andrew's tomorrow night.

Blues have enjoyed a positive start to the season under their former player, with the victory over Derby County last time out moving the team to within one point and one place of the top six.

However, they face a huge challenge against the Cottagers, who have been one of the outstanding sides in the league so far.

Nevertheless, they did lose to Blackpool last time out and Bowyer made it clear to the club's official site that his Blues team will never go into a game with an attitude that they're not good enough to get a result.

"I'd like to think, no matter what team we step out against, we can compete. We won't be fearing Fulham, we will respect them because they are a good side, but we will make it as difficult as we can for Fulham to leave with any points.

"We are at home, we have the fans behind us and we will go out and give everything to get a good result."

The verdict

This is the right attitude from Bowyer and the players should have the belief from what they've achieved under the boss that they can get results against any team.

Clearly, Fulham are an excellent team, but the Blackpool defeat shows that the Championship remains unpredictable, so Birmingham will feel they can get three points themselves.

This will be a good test to see how good Blues are and Bowyer will learn a lot from his players by how they cope against Marco Silva's talented side.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/lee-bowyer-delivers-passionate-birmingham-city-message-ahead-of-fulham-test/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva interview: Fulham boss discusses Fabio Carvalho, returning to England and promotion ambitions

Sky Sports exclusive: Fulham boss Marco Silva discusses starlet Fabio Carvalho, returning to England and his promotion ambitions. Watch Birmingham vs Fulham live on Sky Sports Football Red Button and the Sky Sports app from 7.40pm on Wednesday night; Kick-off 7.45pm.

If Marco Silva had thought this season was going to be a stroll in the park for Fulham, then last Saturday would have provided something of a wake-up call.

Fulham were top of the table, cruising off the back of four wins in a row before the international break. Newly promoted Blackpool were winless and yet to pick up so much as a point at home. Naturally, the Tangerines ran out 1-0 winners at Bloomfield Road.

One key factor to take into account for Fulham, however, was the absence of attacking midfielder Fabio Carvalho. The 19-year-old Portuguese-born England youth international was handed his debut late last season by Scott Parker as the club headed towards Premier League relegation. He has been a revelation so far this campaign, and was badly missed at the weekend.

"He's a very good player," Silva told Sky Sports. "I don't want to compare him to other young players I have worked with, because I have worked at clubs - like Sporting in Portugal - which have amazing academies and players that were the same age as Fabio.

"But I can say he has very good quality for the age he is, and some maturity for a player that has only just turned 19. He moved countries at a young age and had to adapt to life in England, but that has helped him grow and develop.

"He comes in every day with a smile on his face to work. He enjoys his time on the training ground, but he works really hard too.

"He understands what I want from him. It is up to him to keep working hard, and it is up to me to keep developing him as a player, because he has the talent."

The defeat to Blackpool was a blot on what had so far been an excellent return to the Championship for Fulham. Four wins and a draw in August saw Silva pick up the Sky Bet Championship Manager of the Month award.

He has quickly rallied a squad and personally adjusted well to the second tier, with his only previous experiences in England coming in the Premier League with Hull City, Watford and Everton.

He left Everton in December 2019 and spent nearly 18 months out of the game - mostly during the midst of the global pandemic - before joining Fulham in the summer.

"I have to be honest, it was always my priority to come back to England," says Silva. "I had other opportunities to go elsewhere around Europe and manage in some great competitions, and I had some opportunities in the Premier League and some in the Championship.

"Normally if I have a break I would travel to see live games, meet different people and talk football, but obviously we couldn't do that. And it was hard, because football is what I love.

"But I watched a lot of games on TV to analyse games and prepare for the next challenge. I had a chance to analyse everything in the break we had, and to prepare my staff for our next challenge.

"When I came back to England to Fulham, the battery was full and I was ready to go again."

All three of his management jobs in England may not have ended quite the way he would have wanted, particularly at Everton, but Silva certainly feels he has improved as a manager during that time. Now aged 44, His relaxed demeanour suggests a figure who has learned from his experiences.

"I'm a better manager now than I was before I first joined the Premier League," he says. "I came from Sporting and Olympiakos where we won titles and played in the Europa League, which has its own demands.

"But the Premier League was a different kind of challenge. Every week you play against the best teams, managers and players. It's something I demand from myself and from my staff to prove our quality and to get better every single day.

"I joined Hull in 2017 and now I'm at Fulham. I have to be better than before because of all the experiences I've had, the good and the less good moments. It makes you more able to handle everything that happens in your career."

All Silva's experiences so far should be to Fulham's benefit as they look to bounce back to the Premier League. Promotion is expected, he knows that. It has, after all, occurred in their last two Championship seasons.

The real challenge for Fulham, you feel, would be staying in the Premier League. But that is not something he wants to talk about, as he feels it would be disrespectful to the rest of the league.

"It's such a tough competition and a tough league to play in," he says. "The games come quickly, and you don't always get time to prepare.

"There are good teams and good managers. There are times where the game looks in control, then it can change in a second. We need to be able to deal with that.

"We are in the Championship, and we have to respect the competition and our opponents. We won't hide what our targets are and we have to be ambitious, but we are not playing in this league alone.

"We have our standards and our aims to be successful, but we haven't won anything yet. If we were in sixth or seventh position, my answer would be the same. I can't talk about the past or the future. I'm here to talk about building right now."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11689/12407975/marco-silva-interview-fulham-boss-discusses-fabio-carvalho-returning-to-england-and-promotion-ambitions