watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mistake in yesterday’s programme

Started by Peabody, September 19, 2021, 01:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

There is a picture of Johnny Haynes and four others,they were apparently playing ten pin bowling and the caption states that is Johnny with his England teammate Danny Blanchflower. Danny was of course captain of NI.

RaySmith

Also captain  of Spurs, I think - the famous Double winning team ( I can still name most of the players in that team today, though hardly able to remember my own name!), that attracted  massive crowds to the Cottage.

I have a vague memory of being stuck, literally unable to move, at the Putney end, unable to get round to my usual place  on the halfway line on the Riverside terracing, when we played that Spurs side.

Danny was a classy player, a wing half or inside forward, i think - ie an attacking midfielder, playing alongside Scottish hardman Dave MacKay, and the White Ghost, John White.

Yes, Danny was definitely  Northern Irish, and charming and eloquent - often on TV- for a lot in those times, when players didn't have the public prominence of today.

Andy S

RaySmith

Quote from: Andy S on September 20, 2021, 12:10:32 AM
Do people still buy a programme?

No, not me, usually these days.

What with the price of the tickets, and fares, I try to spend as little as possible on the day of the game, maybe even buying a drink and sandwich  and sitting in the park, rather than visiting a pub.

But buying a programme, and reading it  in the ground pre-game, used to be one of the rituals of going to football. I also used to  save the programmes,  which provide memories when you look through them in later years.

Unfortunately, most of my Fulham memorabilia,  including my scrapbooks of  personally gained signed photos from the 60's has been lost, with house moves, etc.

But I would hate to see the demise of printed football programmes, available from street sellers at a game. Seems a traditional part of attending a game to me.

filham

Yes I do but I wonder why.
I find it full of fringe material that is not really of interest to me , in the old days the programme cost only a few coppers and while only comprising a few pages it consisted of articles of high interest. In particular it gave the teams for the match that was only subjected to minor changes.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes of course even though they are not really value for money any more. Force of habit I suppose and the pre match ritual.
But looking back I enjoyed reading the ones from the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s a lot more.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Calling Danny Blanchflower English is a huge howler and indicates that young journalists are now writing about things they have little knowledge about.
However it begs the question what were Blanchflower and Haynes doing together in Paris in 1963 wearing identicle black and white shirts.