https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Penalty Shoot Outs at The Cottage

Started by Jim©, September 22, 2021, 12:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim©

I saw this on the official site under the 5 Talking Points:

A rare shoot-out at the Cottage

Tuesday night was only the second time in our history that we've contested a penalty shoot-out at Craven Cottage. Club Historian Alex White has the details: "I have found only one occasion where there has been a penalty shoot-out at Craven Cottage. This came in a First Round Second Leg Coca Cola (League Cup) tie on the 23rd August 1994. The first leg at Luton ended in a 1-1 draw and the second leg at Fulham also ended 1-1. Fulham won the penalty shoot-out 4-3." Jim Stannard was the hero in the shoot-out, saving from Dwight Marshall.

It's actually incorrect- we had a penalty shootout v Wycombe in a Semi Final (Southern) of the Autoglass. We lost. I remember it for the fact that there was a note in the next home programme that in the melee of celebrating their win, a Wycombe fan had lost his prosthetic leg and wondered if anyone had found it!!!!

HV71

Legless after winning a game - he should have taken advice from Dave W

bog

Was the game over two legs?

Also were we not involved in one with Aldershot that was a record score for a while? We lost of course. 

092.gif

brightster

Quote from: bog on September 22, 2021, 01:44:33 PM
Was the game over two legs?

Also were we not involved in one with Aldershot that was a record score for a while? We lost of course. 

092.gif

Just talking about that game on Twitter, it was away to Aldershot, the game ended 1-1 and we lost 11-10, but that wasn't the whole story, the record I think still stands was 28 penalty kicks between the teams. Most of the players taking two, including our leading all time scorer Gordon Ivor Davies who missed both of his.