News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm the only person that has a problem with Seri defensively?

Started by AnOldBrownie, September 25, 2021, 05:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

I ask because I don't think its much better than sticking Tom Carney in our holding mid spot.  Difference would be I'd expect TC to win at least half his balls in the air.

Great passer of the ball and very composed with little pressure...

Unfortunately... I think more and more teams are going to attack his spot on the pitch.

Ill be happy to be incorrect.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

Caedal

To be honest, I don't know why we aren't playing him further forward, especially with Carvalho injured. I get Silva is using him to dictate our play, but if he's higher he can still do that

ChesterTheTabby

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

colinwhite

Somerset Fulham

He's been cracking, I can't see a single problem with the guy.

HV71

Jamie88

I wasn't disappointed by his performance, but I don't understand the love-in for him recently either. He's done OK for me but not outstanding either defensively or in an attacking sense.

The majority of time he just receives and passes without doing a whole lot of work. Occasionally sends in a nice through ball but I don't see him as a defensive midfielder the way he plays. Agree with the post suggesting they would like to see him more advanced.

Baszab

Seri - great game today
Slightly overwhelmed in defensive midfield by poor performances by Chalobah and Josh

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Baszab on September 25, 2021, 08:43:38 PM
Seri - great game today
Slightly overwhelmed in defensive midfield by poor performances by Chalobah and Josh
Exactly
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

simplyfulham

No I think you do have a point. It's not because he's particularly bad defensively but Marco commits a lot of players forward so more often than not if we are countered against Seri is on his own.

He's not a big lad and not a ball winner so he's not going to cause too many issues for players in that respect.

But he's not being played for his ability to defend in fairness. It's his ability to connect play from deep positions.

filham

He usually has a minder alongside him, either Reed or Onomah but I agree that I would like to see him as the advanced player in the midfield triangle with Onamah and Red in the defensive positions behind him.

Thamesbank

really can't understand why peeps are moaning about Seri, thought he was good again

simplyfulham

Quote from: Thamesbank on September 25, 2021, 10:19:30 PM
really can't understand why peeps are moaning about Seri, thought he was good again

Don't think anyone is saying he had a bad game.

He's good at what he does, but the way we play at the moment is exposing some of the weaker elements of his game. I don't think there will be too many keen to compare him to a Kante/Makelele/Etuhu type holding midfielder.

perry geyton

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 25, 2021, 05:54:40 PM
I ask because I don't think its much better than sticking Tom Carney in our holding mid spot.  Difference would be I'd expect TC to win at least half his balls in the air.

Unfortunately... I think more and more teams are going to attack his spot on the pitch.

When we have the ball Serí is the best #6 in the Championship, but defensively he is a little weak. Seri can be a part of this squad, but we need to balance the starting XI around him. I particularly think we need to rethink if we play Seri can we really afford to play Ream in the same team.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 25, 2021, 05:54:40 PM

Ill be happy to be incorrect.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

Danny Murphy never did enough defensively in the center of the midfield either...

Guys who pass like Seri and are a rock defensively in the midfield cost about 100 million to purchase. What are there, like one or two of them in the world? The club are creating a ton of chances with Seri lying deep as a playmaker. His ability or inability defensively has had little impact on the results thus far.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Caedal on September 25, 2021, 05:59:56 PM
To be honest, I don't know why we aren't playing him further forward, especially with Carvalho injured. I get Silva is using him to dictate our play, but if he's higher he can still do that

Exactly, he should be further forward, which he's done in a couple of games.
That is fine if Reed is playing in that defensive midfield spot,
I think Seri would be an ideal number 8 or 10 whatever it's called now  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

The Rational Fan

Seri needs more cover and we seem a little weak on corners; maybe 3-3-3-1 and add some height to the team is the solution.

Mitro
       Kebano  Carv  Wilson
Robinson       Seri          Christie
        Tosin  Mawson Hector
                  Gazza

Reid could play at #10 if Carvalho injured
Reid could play instead of Christie for extra attack
Bryan could play instead of Kebano for extra defense

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 26, 2021, 12:11:27 PM
Seri needs more cover and we seem a little weak on corners; maybe 3-3-3-1 and add some height to the team is the solution.

Mitro
       Kebano  Carv  Wilson
        Tosin  Mawson Hector
                  Gazza

I agree we need more height.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 27, 2021, 01:47:30 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 26, 2021, 12:11:27 PM

Mitro
       Kebano  Carv  Wilson
        Tosin  Mawson Hector
                  Gazza

I agree we need more height.

Fulham having too many short players means putting the ball out for a corner is risky for us, as defending corners is a weakness.

When hit on the counter attack or any attack, putting a ball out for a corner is often the easiest defensive move and if we cannot use it we are in danger. Players shorter than Joe Bryan include Seri, Francois, Knockart, Wilson, Carvalho, Quina, Kebano and Reid normally making up four players on the field at any particular time.

And, not having enough tall players means putting the ball out for a corner is a good defensive tactic for them. I would only consider Gazza, Tosin and Mitro as tall, the next tallest starter is Ream who is often out jumped.