https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 27/09/21...

Started by WhiteJC, September 27, 2021, 08:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham celebrate goal with fan Rhys Porter, 13, after he was abused online

Rhys Porter was included in Fulham's goal celebration

There weren't many dry eyes at Ashton Gate on Saturday as Fulham players embraced fan Rhys Porter in a goal celebration.

The 13-year-old goalkeeper became the centre of attention in an emotional and heartwarming moment during Saturday's 1-1 Championship draw at Bristol City.

When Aleksandar Mitrovic put Fulham in front, their players ran over to include Rhys in their celebration.

The club made Rhys an honorary member after he received online abuse because of his disability, having posted videos of his saves on social media.

Fulham responded by helping arrange for the teenager to meet one of his heroes, defender Tim Ream, on BBC Breakfast - an experience that moved Rhys to tears.

And the club got him involved again after they scored at Ashton Gate.

Ream tweeted about the celebration, saying: "Not the result Rhys Porter asked for but another cool moment shared and experienced."

Rhys also spent an afternoon with the entire squad, joining in with drills with keepers Marek Rodak and Paulo Gazzaniga, after his story captured the hearts of those at the Championship club.

When Fulham heard of the abuse Rhys had received, they said: "Everyone at Fulham has been completely inspired by Rhys.

"We wanted to show him just how impressed we've been with both his attitude in the face of adversity, and his commitment to helping others."

Fulham are fourth in the Championship after Saturday's draw, four points behind leaders Bournemouth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58696866

WhiteJC

Josh Onomah disappoints as Fulham slip up again

With Marco Silva's Fulham side heading into Saturday's Championship clash having suffered three defeats in their last four fixtures in all competitions, the Cottagers would have undoubtedly been hoping to get back to winning ways against Bristol City.

However, despite dominating possession of the ball over the course of the 90 minutes, as well as taking 22 shots and creating five big chances, Silva's side would ultimately have to settle for a share of the spoils with the Robins, as Kasey Palmer's 79th-minute strike cancelled out Aleksandar Mitrovic's second-half opener – with the game ending 1-1.

Not capitalising on chances created has been something of a recurring theme for Fulham in recent weeks, with the west London side having taken 62 shots over their last three fixtures against Bristol City, Leeds United and Reading, scoring just two goals in the process.

And, against the Robins in particular, there was one player in Fulham's attacking lineup who disappointed more than most – Josh Onomah.

Lost 75% duels

Having been given the nod to start the fixture in the role of attacking midfield by his manager, Onomah did very little to convince Silva, or indeed fans of the club, that he is deserving of retaining his starting spot in the position going forwards.

Indeed, over his 45 minutes on the pitch, the Β£5.4m-rated man managed just one shot, completed a mere 10 of his 14 attempted passes, failed with his one attempted long ball and ceded possession for his side on 11 separate occasions.

The player Mousa Dembele once dubbed a "quality" talent also won just one of his four duels – a failure rate of 75% – conceded one foul and touched the ball a grand total of 30 times – 13 times fewer than Paulo Gazzaniga between the Fulham sticks.

These returns saw the Β£30k-per-week midfielder receive a SofaScore match rating of 6.7, with no Fulham player receiving a lower score than the 24-year-old, something which goes a long way to explaining why Silva hooked the midfielder at halftime.

As such, should 19-year-old Fabio Carvalho return to fitness in the coming days, it would not seem as if Onomah has done anything to convince his manager that he is worthy of retaining his spot in the starting XI for the visit of Swansea City on Wednesday – as the former England U21 international badly failed the 44-year-old against Bristol City.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-news/fulham-ffc-the-cottagers-team-news-marco-silva-performance-in-numbers-josh-onomah-bristol-city-the-championship

WhiteJC

'I can't understand' – Fulham boss Marco Silva makes claim about pivotal moment in Bristol City clash

Fulham were held to a 1-1 draw against Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Saturday, continuing their shaky form.

The Cottagers have now just four points from the last 12, continuing their poor form since the international break.

Aleksander Mitrovic put Fulham ahead in the second half following good work from Harry Wilson before Kasey Palmer scored the equaliser three minutes after coming on.

It was the City goal that frustrated Fulham boss Marco Silva, as he claims it was "one metre offside".

"The goal was clearly offside," he told the Bristol Post. "It wasn't a difficult decision and I can't understand why the linesman failed to spot it.

"I have seen a replay, but I knew at the time from the bench that it was offside. A poor decision has gone against us."

It seems as though Fulham are having the same issues in their games at the moment. They're creating plenty of chances, but not putting them away and this was something Silva highlighted:

"The substitutes made an impact, but the whole team played with more purpose. We just have to be calmer with our finishing.

"There were so many clear opportunities created, but we couldn't get the second goal to kill them off.

"We have to do better in that respect. We moved the ball well in the second half and could have had the game wrapped up before they scored."

The draw leaves Fulham fourth with 17 points, four points off top of the table Bournemouth.

The Verdict

Having seen the equaliser, it does look like Palmer is offside, so Silva has every right to feel aggrieved by the decision.

However, Fulham should not have been in that position at that stage in the game. Their game management has to be better as they allowed City to create more chances after they scored. And the main issue with Fulham and their form at the moment is taking chances.

On average, they create the most chances per game in the league but have scored just six in their last four games. Four of those goals came in the game against Birmingham City.

Fulham will improve their chance conversion as the season progresses, but this is a pivotal time in the season and putting points on the board is essential if you are chasing a top-two finish.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/i-cant-understand-fulham-boss-marco-silva-makes-claim-about-pivotal-moment-in-bristol-city-clash/

WhiteJC

From mesmerising to mediocre: how Fulham are falling short

Yesterday afternoon at Ashton Gate brought breathlessness and, ultimately, more disappointment. The bald facts from Fulham's last two Championship matches tell you clearly where the problem lies: 47 shots, ten on target, two goals. An awesome August has given way to a stuttering September that has seen Marco Silva's side drop points to Blackpool, Reading and Bristol City. If the wheels aren't quite falling off Fulham's promotion juggernaut, the vehicle certainly don't look like the well-oiled machine that swept aside opponents in some style in the early weeks of the season.

Silva singled out the officials for criticism after Fulham's latest setback but, in truth, he was as off target as his misfiring forwards. Yes, Kasey Palmer's equaliser should have been disallowed for offside – that appeared clear to the naked eye, but the visitors were guilty of missing a succession of chances both before and after the leveller. The chief culprit was Aleksandar Mitrovic, who could easily have had a hat trick in stoppage time alone, although the Serbian striker was far from alone in squandering glorious openings. Both Neeskens Kebano and Harry Wilson also wasted glorious chances when it seemed easier to score – and that failure to be clinical proved very costly.

The Fulham head coach was also upset at how long it took his side to dictate the play. He glowered briefly before charging down the tunnel at half time – perhaps an insight into how fiery his team talk might have been – and the two changes that enlivened his side immediately after the interval were even more evidence of his unhappiness. But the balance of Fulham's midfield felt off from the start: Nathaniel Chalobah, who took time to settle into his debut at Birmingham, has failed to follow up that encouraging overall performance in two subsequent outings, Josh Onomah flitted in and out of this contest and, plainly, Jean-Michael Seri is not a defensive midfielder.

Fulham looked far more combative and sprightly once Harrison Reed entered proceedings, but it remains to be seen whether Silva will recognise that the special one-haired schemer is best deployed at the base of the midfield, especially now that Kevin McDonald and Stefan Johansen have departed. Saturday showed that the new management appear eager to reinvent Reed into a more adventurous raider from the engine room, when his reading of the game and ability to snuff out danger could have been better used to diffuse the Robins' rousing revival midway through the second period.

Fulham might have been far too passive at the outset against Nigel Pearson's disciplined two banks of four, but they also failed to adjust after the City manager switched to a back three and threw caution to the wind. Questions have been asked before about the ticker of a team that seems set up to ambush teams going forward and the Whites looked briefly befuddled by their opponents' own sense of adventure following Pearson's move to a 3-4-1-2. Palmer profited from finding pockets of space in front of the Fulham back four when he came on and, had Nakhi Wells showed some composure in front of goal, the hosts might have snapped up a second. Game management is one of modern football's most in-vogue terms: Fulham had none of it in BS3.

Silva's side clearly miss the creativity of Fabio Carvalho and Kenny Tete at right back, but such is the quality in the squad at the Portuguese head coach's disposal they can't quibble about the odd injury. Teams have worked out how to deal with Fulham's attacking arsenal and when the Whites aren't able to match the opposition's tenacity or intensity, they don't deserve to come away with three points. Rodrigo Muniz has shown enough in three appearances to suggest he might be a source of something different so the decision to send on Ivan Cavaleiro with Fulham hunting a winner in the closing stages was particularly perplexing. One defeat might be a wake up call, two hints at a problem – and, after all the chances that came and went, yesterday's point felt like another opportunity missed. It is early in the season, and it would be a much bigger worry were the Whites not incisive enough, but Silva sorely needs a 'plan B'.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/from-mesmerising-to-mediocre-how-fulham-are-falling-short/

WhiteJC

Talking Points: Bristol City

Mitro joins Dempsey on 60 Fulham goals

Aleksandar Mitović was on target again on Saturday, netting his seventh goal in nine EFL Championship games this season. This impressive start means he joins a certain Fulham legend on 60 goals for the club. Clint Dempsey got to the soaring 60 mark in seven impressive seasons in SW6, becoming our all-time Premier League goalscorer in the process. We're pretty sure our big Serb will be hoping to bag a few more in the future!

Rhys Porter joins the celebrations

There was a real heartwarming moment in amongst the chaos yesterday when our goal went in, as the boys rushed over to Rhys Porter behind the goal. Rhys has had quite the week, coming into training on Thursday, being listed as a Fulham squad member on Friday and involved in the celebrations on Saturday! A fitting reward for an inspirational young man. Harrison Reed told FFCtv of his delight in being able to share the adulation.

"It was amazing that we could score at his end," said our midfielder. "It's great to put a smile on his face.

"(He's an) amazing guy, a real inspiration and it was brilliant to celebrate with him today."

Crossbar Cruelty

The woodwork didn't serve us kindly at Ashton Gate and saw plenty of action throughout the contest, especially in the second half where we made a crossbar connection three times. In a frantic restart, Mitro's cracking half-volley rattled the bar as Dan Bentley was sprawling. Jean MichaΓ«l Seri's blast towards goal shortly after was sent deflecting agonisingly onto the same destination, and our lack of luck was confirmed in the dying embers of the game, as Mitro saw his steered header from Antonee Robinson's cross bounce off the bar once more.

Offside?

The Robins' goal came under controversial circumstances, with Kasey Palmer quite obviously being offside as Chris Martin's shot was saved brilliantly by Paulo Gazzaniga. Marco Silva wasn't best pleased with the decision, as he told FFCtv after the game.

"Their equaliser is a clear offside", he said. "It's difficult for us to understand how the linesman didn't see it because it's so clear."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/september/Talking-Points-Bristol-City/

WhiteJC

Hate won't win – why Rhys Porter makes us all proud

Saturday afternoon's scoreline at Ashton Gate was disappointing. Fulham created enough chances to win a couple of games and Aleksandar Mitrovic had more shots than five Championship sides. But any lingering frustration paled into insignificance when you saw how the Whites celebrated the goal that the Serbian striker did score. As one, the visiting players ran to join Rhys Porter, the teenage supporter with cerebral palsy, whose response to horrid social media abuse has been so inspiring. It cemented the feeling that we follow a special football club.

I've wrestled with whether to write about this since I first read about Rhys's story. It is immensely personal to me. This exceptionally brave and eloquent young man and I have the same disability. When I was very young, sport was an outlet for me to enjoy myself. School – and social situations in general – were particularly difficult. There were questions, mockery and bullying about the way I stood, walked and looked. My neighbours, knowing how much I loved football, took me to Craven Cottage. I was hooked immediately.

I soon discovered that one of the players, Micky Adams, had a brother with cerebral palsy. The first season that I really travelled to away games coincided with the magnificent year when Adams, now managing the side on a shoestring budget, guided Fulham to promotion from the Football League basement in his first full season in charge. 'Micky Adams' black and white army' had an extra special meaning to me. I was accepted on the terraces, looked after by people who remain friends and, probably for the first time, I felt like I belonged.

In many ways, I count my blessings that I grew up before social media was a thing. Comments still come my way, both online and in person, but I'm strong enough to shrug them off with a smile these days. Hearing Rhys explain so impressively why he has redoubled his efforts to fundraise for Scope at Craven Cottage during the recent home game with Reading was remarkably inspiring. His passion is infectious and I am sure he will go on to great things.

Such a remarkable young man shouldn't have to put up with the shameful comments and discrimination that he has. We all hope for better, but we know that society – and sport – remains troublingly unequal. But seeing the way Fulham embraced Rhys last week – inviting him to Motspur Park for a full day's training, and putting him on the website as a first team goalkeeper, recognising the value of both his brilliant saves and his unstinting advocacy, was wonderful. That the players then took it upon themselves to give him another memory he won't forget at Bristol City made me proud to follow Fulham.

Some of those friends I mentioned earlier encouraged me to put my thoughts about the matches down on paper. Their suggestions led to a journalistic career – and, indirectly, to the formation of this website as a forum for all things Fulham. As Fulham fans, we've come to terms with the fact that the result isn't the be all and end all. It's about the Cottage, a storied history, the camaraderie and enjoying the journey. Being able to be part of it together has never been more important.

Rhys' own words are powerful. Inclusion matters. Hate won't win. We are Fulham.

If you can donate to Rhys Porter's Make It Count fund with Scope, I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/09/hate-wont-win-why-rhys-porter-makes-us-all-proud/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker reveals truth behind swapping Fulham for Bournemouth

Bournemouth boss Scott Parker has opened up on his Fulham departure and move to the Vitality Stadium in the summer.

Parker spent two and a half years at Craven Cottage, helping the west London club secure promotion to the Premier League in 2019/20 but failing to extend their stay in the top tier past just the one season.

There was lots of speculation about the 40-year-old coach's future in the summer after Fulham's relegation and in June his departure was confirmed, with his appointment as Bournemouth manager swiftly confirmed.

Speaking on talkSPORT, Parker revealed the truth behind swapping west London for the South Coast in the summer – insisting that the decision was mutual and that he was lucky to have the Cherries job lined up after what it seems he feels was a natural time to leave.

He explained: "I didn't just leave Fulham. What happened in the summer was mutual.

"It was a conversation at the end of last year, which was a disappointing year. Obviously, me having been there for two years I felt like there were certain things that needed to happen, certain things that did happen.

"I made my decision on wanting this and what I felt was best for the club to move forward.

"I felt that it was best for myself, for me to be able to get the best out of Fulham, for me to be successful there and for the team to be successful. Unless it was under certain things I wanted I didn't think it was going to be the best for us.

"Fulham felt differently and of course that's their prerogative and I understood why they see it like that, so we both decided that was the best way to go."

"I was in a fortunate position that Bournemouth was a job that was here and ready," Parker continued. "Bournemouth showed a real keen interest in me, sold me how they see it.

"Did I see it as a very good fit for me? Yes, definitely. Hence why I'm here really.

"I don't think it was as straightforward as me just walking out of Fulham and choosing Bournemouth.

"Do I feel like I've come to a football club that at this point in time suits and at this point in time is perfect for me? With a squad and under an ownership team that I think we can progress? Definitely.

"That's the reason, that's why it happened really."

It's been a strong start to life on the South Coast for Parker, with his Bournemouth team currently two points clear at the top of the table after nine games and having won four in the bounce in the Championship.

The English coach will have to wait until December for his return to Craven Cottage – a game that could be vital in the race for automatic promotion.

The Verdict

Parker's departure from Fulham and move to Bournemouth was one of the most eye-catching EFL sagas of the summer, so it's good to hear him reveal the truth behind the move.

It sounds as though it was a natural time for him to leave the west London club and that there were a few disagreements over how the club should move forward following relegation.

The Cherries managed to capitalise on that and have to be feeling pretty pleased with their decision at the moment.

Not only are Bournemouth top of the table but they're also among the highest scorers in the division and the side that has conceded the fewest goals.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/scott-parker-reveals-truth-behind-swapping-fulham-for-bournemouth/

ianthailand

Quote from: whitejc on September 27, 2021, 08:10:22 AM
Scott Parker reveals truth behind swapping Fulham for Bournemouth

Bournemouth boss Scott Parker has opened up on his Fulham departure and move to the Vitality Stadium in the summer.

Parker spent two and a half years at Craven Cottage, helping the west London club secure promotion to the Premier League in 2019/20 but failing to extend their stay in the top tier past just the one season.

There was lots of speculation about the 40-year-old coach's future in the summer after Fulham's relegation and in June his departure was confirmed, with his appointment as Bournemouth manager swiftly confirmed.

Speaking on talkSPORT, Parker revealed the truth behind swapping west London for the South Coast in the summer – insisting that the decision was mutual and that he was lucky to have the Cherries job lined up after what it seems he feels was a natural time to leave.

He explained: "I didn't just leave Fulham. What happened in the summer was mutual.

"It was a conversation at the end of last year, which was a disappointing year. Obviously, me having been there for two years I felt like there were certain things that needed to happen, certain things that did happen.

"I made my decision on wanting this and what I felt was best for the club to move forward.

"I felt that it was best for myself, for me to be able to get the best out of Fulham, for me to be successful there and for the team to be successful. Unless it was under certain things I wanted I didn't think it was going to be the best for us.

"Fulham felt differently and of course that's their prerogative and I understood why they see it like that, so we both decided that was the best way to go."

"I was in a fortunate position that Bournemouth was a job that was here and ready," Parker continued. "Bournemouth showed a real keen interest in me, sold me how they see it.

"Did I see it as a very good fit for me? Yes, definitely. Hence why I'm here really.

"I don't think it was as straightforward as me just walking out of Fulham and choosing Bournemouth.

"Do I feel like I've come to a football club that at this point in time suits and at this point in time is perfect for me? With a squad and under an ownership team that I think we can progress? Definitely.

"That's the reason, that's why it happened really."

It's been a strong start to life on the South Coast for Parker, with his Bournemouth team currently two points clear at the top of the table after nine games and having won four in the bounce in the Championship.

The English coach will have to wait until December for his return to Craven Cottage – a game that could be vital in the race for automatic promotion.

The Verdict

Parker's departure from Fulham and move to Bournemouth was one of the most eye-catching EFL sagas of the summer, so it's good to hear him reveal the truth behind the move.

It sounds as though it was a natural time for him to leave the west London club and that there were a few disagreements over how the club should move forward following relegation.

The Cherries managed to capitalise on that and have to be feeling pretty pleased with their decision at the moment.

Not only are Bournemouth top of the table but they're also among the highest scorers in the division and the side that has conceded the fewest goals.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/scott-parker-reveals-truth-behind-swapping-fulham-for-bournemouth/
What a load of codswallop. He'd been talking to Bournemouth since last Christmas if reports are to be believed. We may finish below him in the table but at least we can look forward to the games now.