more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Post Game Thread: Fulham 3-1 Swansea

Started by Friendsoffulham, September 29, 2021, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Carborundum on September 29, 2021, 11:49:58 PM
Great first half.  Saw the game out in the second.

The five at the back was smart management.  Their right winger gave Joe Bryan a hard time and was all set to have Tim Ream on toast.  BDR did very well in what was effectively a man for man marking job.

Kebano played extremely well and deserves more starts.  I'm still not convinced by Wilson's defensive work.  Time and again Odoi is targeted and I don't think it's because he's a bad defender, it's because there's space around him.  Cavaliero did much better helping out, but wasn't as useful going forwards.

I have to agree, I think Wilson has been unimpressive in the last few games, basically since Brum. He has not created much - except the header from Kebano's cross against Bristol City - and has missed opportunities he has been given. I was thinking it was Tete we were missing on that side but Odoi played out of his skin last night so thinking it is Wilson's defensive nous that is missing. Our midfield on the right is short Reed, Wilson, Seri are all around 5'6" and we will get pushed around by a big midfield that presses.
Quark, strangeness and charm

filham

Great to see Mitro score three but it would be nice to see others chipping in with a goal more often.
Terrible miss by BDR after a great build up in the first half.

kiwian

Quote from: General on September 29, 2021, 11:02:11 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 29, 2021, 10:54:02 PM
People keep talking about dropping Ream (who has been top drawer for us all season so far) for Mawson, but personally I think Tosin is the weak link at the back right now and has been for a little while.

However, this was a good result tonight against another improving side. Obviously we blew them away in the first half, but it was almost as satisfying to see us fairly comfortably hold them at arms length in the second half when they were pushing to get back into it.

We are back on track here, and results mostly went our way tonight too, so as usual there will be no getting carried away in this neck of the woods but I am very pleased with the evenings work.

Hmm, he was at fault for their goal in my eyes, and it's not the first time this season his naivety has been a fault for us and seeing us look unsteady at the back - but he's pretty reliable usually and his height and ability in the tackle most of the time is pretty decent.

The height in particular is a big thing- tonight's team had seri, Reed, BDR, Wilson, neeskens and Bryan all in the line up and a shaky GK in Gazzaniga. Tosin does well when heading etc and dominates in a way perhaps we take for granted.

ThT said we do have Hector (who dominated at this level for us last time) and mawson who has been an England International so tempting to tweak. Is mawson a left footed player? Maybe that's why ream has had precedence.

Thought Odoi did very well today and aware both he and Bryan got assists.

Really feel Gazzaniga is a liability and would like to see as a priority Rodak given a shot in the sticks first out of any changes we make.
Agree about Gazzaniga-in the previous game he stayed on his line as a header went over the bar from no more than 6 yards out, the goal from Swansea seemed to be miscommunication between him and Denis, and as the ball was coming towards him (Gazz) he should have called to deal with it. Then he attempted to fist a cross clear and was outjumped by a Swan forward and missed it completely. He seems to be having a charmed run in that respect, yes a few good saves but not dealing with the basics very well.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

cookieg

And still the Gazza scapegoating goes on and on.

SG

It's not scapegoating. He is making basic goalkeeper errors which to date he has got away with in the main. The missed punch at the corner on the edge of the 6 yard box is just another error in a long list that fortunately went unpunished

FulhamStu

Quote from: ealex40 on September 30, 2021, 12:02:07 AM

We had better play better than that in future, if we want automatic promotion. We were outplayed in the second half and the best player on the pitch was Matt Grimes.....wish we had signed him. He seemed to have more ideas than most of our team. 

Grimes is obviously a good player but most of his stuff was slow, sideways or backwards.  Not at all sure he has the game for Silverball.  Parkerball would suit his skill set perfectly.

cookieg

Quote from: SG on October 01, 2021, 09:16:09 AM
It's not scapegoating. He is making basic goalkeeper errors which to date he has got away with in the main. The missed punch at the corner on the edge of the 6 yard box is just another error in a long list that fortunately went unpunished

So one missed punch at a corner and you want him dropped? Name a goalkeeper that doesn't miss a punch or doesn't get beaten at the near post. EVDS is considered the best keeper Fulham ever had but he made mistakes, Areola is well up there with the best but made mistakes. There's probably a good reason why Rodak didn't start this season as no.1 or was dropped for Areola last year.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: cookieg on October 01, 2021, 09:58:31 AM

So one missed punch at a corner and you want him dropped? Name a goalkeeper that doesn't miss a punch or doesn't get beaten at the near post. EVDS is considered the best keeper Fulham ever had but he made mistakes, Areola is well up there with the best but made mistakes. There's probably a good reason why Rodak didn't start this season as no.1 or was dropped for Areola last year.

Areola is miles of class ahead of either Rodak or Gazzaniga, so not sure why he keeps getting mentioned.

More important, our goalkeeper's role in this league is distinctly different and simpler than Areola's last season. We need our keeper to handle the simple stuff so we don't concede cheaply and maybe make One Big Save in a match. That's it. And Gazzaniga is routinely failing to do either. He either stays rooted to his line or butchers coming for crosses (and we haven't been punished nearly enough b/c of it yet) and the only saves I can recall when a game was still in the balance was cleaning up for Ream's mistake at Blackpool (where he then conceded a weak goal and we lost 1-0 anyway) and the one that was put away (offside) on the rebound vs Bristol. He made a couple good ones at Birmingham, but we were well ahead at the time.

I'm not saying he's bad or whatever ... but he hasn't been very good at all for us so far. The manager prefers him, so I assume he'll stay in until he truly costs us valuable points, but I for one don't understand why we would wait that long on the evidence presented.

cookieg

Quote from: Denver Fulham on October 01, 2021, 05:44:08 PM

Areola is miles of class ahead of either Rodak or Gazzaniga, so not sure why he keeps getting mentioned.

More important, our goalkeeper's role in this league is distinctly different and simpler than Areola's last season. We need our keeper to handle the simple stuff so we don't concede cheaply and maybe make One Big Save in a match. That's it. And Gazzaniga is routinely failing to do either. He either stays rooted to his line or butchers coming for crosses (and we haven't been punished nearly enough b/c of it yet) and the only saves I can recall when a game was still in the balance was cleaning up for Ream's mistake at Blackpool (where he then conceded a weak goal and we lost 1-0 anyway) and the one that was put away (offside) on the rebound vs Bristol. He made a couple good ones at Birmingham, but we were well ahead at the time.

I'm not saying he's bad or whatever ... but he hasn't been very good at all for us so far. The manager prefers him, so I assume he'll stay in until he truly costs us valuable points, but I for one don't understand why we would wait that long on the evidence presented.

So what you are saying is you want Gazza to cock up monumentally so that he gets dropped? You truly are a great fan. All goalkeepers make mistakes it happens. Rodak has played 2 league games in the last 18 months and conceded 5 goals. 3 against Arsenal then got dropped and then 2 against a piss poor Newcastle who only stayed up because we threw the opportunity away. He is not our no.1, he has been at the club long enough to stake that claim but it hasn't happened. Silva and the goalkeeping coaches work with him and Gazza every day. Gazza is our number 1 and so be it.

SG

Quote from: cookieg on October 01, 2021, 07:09:30 PM

So what you are saying is you want Gazza to cock up monumentally so that he gets dropped? You truly are a great fan. All goalkeepers make mistakes it happens. Rodak has played 2 league games in the last 18 months and conceded 5 goals. 3 against Arsenal then got dropped and then 2 against a piss poor Newcastle who only stayed up because we threw the opportunity away. He is not our no.1, he has been at the club long enough to stake that claim but it hasn't happened. Silva and the goalkeeping coaches work with him and Gazza every day. Gazza is our number 1 and so be it.

He may well be our number 1 in the coaches eyes but the last time I looked we live in a democratic society and therefore we are entitled to hold a different view. From what I see Gazza has some weaknesses which are likely to be exposed in the championship where many teams lob the ball into the box, pressuring keepers either with long throws, free kicks and corners. I don't appear to be alone in this view.

sunburywhite

In my opinion (if I am allowed one) Maik Taylor was our greatest unsung keeper, far better than he is created with being

Areola and probably EDS are the best I have seen in a Fulham shirt, apart from Macedo

Gazzininga has good distribution is very quick and he has a long kick but my bottle does twitch when its getting messy in the area

If i was center half (apart form the fact we would be conceeding 10 goals a game if i was) I would feel happier having Rodak behind me
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

AJW48361

He doesn't  leave the ground when dealing with crosses 6ft 5in and can't handle high balls.

kiwian

Quote from: SG on October 01, 2021, 07:41:35 PM

He may well be our number 1 in the coaches eyes but the last time I looked we live in a democratic society and therefore we are entitled to hold a different view. From what I see Gazza has some weaknesses which are likely to be exposed in the championship where many teams lob the ball into the box, pressuring keepers either with long throws, free kicks and corners. I don't appear to be alone in this view.
You're not alone. Just stating facts.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Denver Fulham

So what you are saying is you want Gazza to cock up monumentally so that he gets dropped? You truly are a great fan. 

I literally said the exact opposite -- I want to sit him before he makes a massive cockup that costs us (more) points.

Somerset Fulham

Has he actually cost us any points?  I can't think of any off of the top of my head.

cookieg

Quote from: Denver Fulham on October 02, 2021, 09:02:59 AM

So what you are saying is you want Gazza to cock up monumentally so that he gets dropped? You truly are a great fan. 

I literally said the exact opposite -- I want to sit him before he makes a massive cockup that costs us (more) points.

So you want a player dropped because he might cost us points.......

Tabby

Quote from: cookieg on October 02, 2021, 12:35:29 PM

Why else would people want him to be dropped, not rating his hairstyle?

Denver Fulham

Quote from: cookieg on October 02, 2021, 12:35:29 PM

And what do you know, he has.