watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Crowd seem a bit flat. I have a theory

Started by 70sPimlico, September 30, 2021, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Don't know if its just me but we do seem a bit flat this season. Stoke game was rocking though.

There does seem to be a higher mix of....I don't really know how to describe this but put simply, blokes that don't do too much excitement.

Are these Riverside stand imports that have brought their levels of excitement over to the rest of us?

I'm being cheeky but with a hint of a serious question

Andy S

Count Flapula

Hate to say it but I agree - we've never been the most vociferous lot but this season we seem simply apathetic and sluggish as a fanbase on the atmosphere front.

Dont even remember a chant of "Marco Silva's back & white army" doing the rounds yet, which is one of our (very few) standard staple chants of recent years (obviously <<insert managers name>> depending upon Manager at the time for that chant). This a season with a relatively good start and entertaining football as well!

Must admit the lack of atmosphere this season - even for our standards - is disappointing.

mrmicawbers

Out of Ten season ticket holders in our group only 1 went for a variety of different reasons.So that didn't help.

HamsterWheel

Thought was really good last night, lots of old chants resurfaced. Good to hear the Kevin McDonald one in particular.

Jamie88

I believe that there are more fans than we may realize which are in attendance of whom don't really care all that much about Fulham.

I know many people who watch matches at Craven Cottage because its a nice place to go and watch some football. I even know a couple of work colleagues who have bought season tickets though neither of them actually support Fulham.

This in part contributes to a flat atmosphere, especially when it comes to chants etc.

flyingfish

Last night was definitely flat and very empty until just before kick off. The first line up announcement usually gets cheers but just applause last night. Often I find the atmosphere doesn't pick up until second half but last night was unusually quiet I thought

70sPimlico

Well. It is was it is.

We know the when we get going, we're a match for anyone (apart from Middlesborough obviously).

Its fair to say the team are doing their bit. Its our turn. Coventry will be rocking and then its that lot from White City estate.

Motspur Park

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on September 30, 2021, 03:49:05 PM

That is outrageous. Didn't the 'geezer' know that it is mint tea that accompanies a Waitrose Victoria sponge cake. No class.

Twig

RaySmith

I always feel inhibited on the fairly rare times I get to Cottage these days, as oppossed to when i used to regularly stand  on the Riversde terrace or in the Hammy End, and in the Enclosure.

On one recent occasion down the front of the Hammy End, a  steward kept warning me to sit down, when i kept inadvertently standing every time we attacked, then sitting down again. I felt i was in danger of being thrown out, because i found it hard not to stand up when we were closing in on goal.
There were few people in the seats immediately behind me.

I like to shout loudly, sometimes join in a song or chant,  in support of the team, but you almost feel frightended to do this.

Being an  away Fulham fan at other clubs' grounds  feels less  inhibiting

Ronnief

Can't understand how he got a knife through security in the Johnny Haynes stand. Was disappointed he didn't pass down a slice for me.  092.gif

bencher

This reminds me of the time my mum basically forced me and my Dad to take a box of Bendicks mints with us to the Cottage. Felt a right berk in the Hammy End scoffing down a Bittermint.

BestOfBrede

Unfortunately on Sky, the only times I heard our supporters was when we were winning.
Most of the time you could hear Swansea with the old Library chant!
Also, the only 2 songs I heard from us was the ridiculous Al Fayed chant, which should be changed by now, and Come on Fulham.

It seems that the mics are always nearer the Putney end to and has always done!
Can't we gat that changed?

Brawn

I was near the back of the Hammersmith End and, to be honest, still had trouble understanding the Seri chant.

We've got Seri, Jean Michael Seri, I just don't think you understand, [????], [????], we've got Jean Seri...

filham

Having one side of the ground empty must affect the overall atmosphere to some extent.
Last night in the second half we concentrated on defense and were boring to watch, not the sort of tactics to generate excitement among the fans.

Totally  outshone by Leeds fans though.

Jules

Have to agree with the OP, seemed very flat last night. Hard to create an atmosphere with a huge empty stand on one side of the ground. Hoping it will be bouncing when it gets opened and we are back in the prem! Have seen a couple of Palace games on TV this season, and their ground is noisy, fans very up for singing and creating an atmosphere. Would be great if we could get something similar at the cottage  049:gif

PaulJ123

Quote from: Brawn on September 30, 2021, 05:51:04 PM
I was near the back of the Hammersmith End and, to be honest, still had trouble understanding the Seri chant.

We've got Seri, Jean Michael Seri, I just don't think you understand, [????], [????], we've got Jean Seri...

The version I know would be "... he's better than Zidane, he's Marco's man..."

Sgt Fulham

Yep, it's embarrassing. Make any noise or movement and you'll get someone tell you to shut up, or you'll be the only one in most parts of the ground.