watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR The World is coming to an end

Started by grandad, October 04, 2021, 06:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

You see two couples come in the pub and sit at a table,out come every phone from their pockets and bags and are put on the table.
They start a conversation between themselves which lasts a minute until one has to take a call or read a message and apologies,then another says they have to make a call or send a message,then you have the one who keeps picking it up every 20 secs in the hope that someone who they've never met on facetube,is spouting rubbish.
In the end both couples end up on their phones,
most probably texting each other at the table.
It's quite funny to sit there in the pub and watch the procedure pan out.😁
They have nothing to talk about face to face in the end,as they've most probably been sending messages to each other all day.
What is the bloody fascination with wanting to know what your Friends are up to every minute.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: filham on October 05, 2021, 02:07:05 PM
Try a good walk in the country with the mobile and I pads not in use and you will see how life is still good.
👍

Holders

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 07, 2021, 08:34:34 AM
You see two couples come in the pub and sit at a table,out come every phone from their pockets and bags and are put on the table.
They start a conversation between themselves which lasts a minute until one has to take a call or read a message and apologies,then another says they have to make a call or send a message,then you have the one who keeps picking it up every 20 secs in the hope that someone who they've never met on facetube,is spouting rubbish.
They have nothing to talk about face to face in the end,as they've most probably been sending messages to each other all day.
What is the bloody fascination with wanting to know what your Friends are up to every minute.

This!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Precisely
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

_Putney_

This is it exactly.

"What is the bloody fascination with wanting to know what your Friends are up to every minute."

It's the dopamine rush you get from being 'as cool, pretty, sexy, muscular, attractive, athletic, etc' as they are, or one-upping them even.  It's addictive.  Your 'friend' has a new pair shoes... "I want that or better".  No one really cares what their friends are up to, they just care about how they compare to them.

But we're now at a point where you can't be seen without your phone.  When a younger person is at the pub with a friend, it would be very uncool and bordering weird to not pull out your phone if they get up for the toilet or another drink.  We're far too scared of sitting and just thinking...we need something to keep us occupied.

Holders

I automatically switch my phone off when entering somewhere like a pub. Even back in the 90s, I remember a Dutch couple talking on a phone while sitting at a table in a restaurant.  It was rude and obtrusive then but sadly more common now,.  Somewhere has to be sacred. It's simple manners. 

Woolly Mammoth

Glad I stuck to smoke signals.
A horse blanket, a small fire and a mountain ridge is all you need.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

Why do so many of you find it interesting to watch other people on their phones when you are in a pub? Can't you just ignore them and take a picture of your drink with your phone instead?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Forever Fulham

Detractors claim Facebook's algorithms are profit centric and greatly contribute to the civil unrest, misinformation, and spread of lies that divide people into camps, tribes.  The whistle blower employee testifying before Congress this week laid out damning allegations: If the posting generates heat and anger, more people will click on it, pass it around to others, and greater viewership means greater ad revenues.   Straightforward reporting of verifiable facts without a misleading spin doesn't tend to get anywhere near the same number of "hits."  The whistle blower says it's intentional (a 'follow the money' argument); the company denies such specific intent. I guess the discussion should be 'what, if anything, is Facebook doing to push misinformation and false claims on its site for profit?'
I love WhatsApp though.  My daughter is in New Zealand.  Using that app saves a lot of money.

Ludlow Richard

There's a pub in Ludlow called "The Blood Bay". Use of mobiles banned. I remember a family of four in there once, a married couple and their two children aged around 18 and 20. They were all talking. And they looked as if they were enjoying it.  Ludlow has another pub ("The Dog Hangs Well") which also bans the use of mobiles. There's no music or food either. Just good beer (and wine) and chat. Perhaps this is the way pubs should be going.

Fulham 442

I love WhatsApp though. My daughter is in New Zealand.  Using that app saves a lot of money.

This is it exactly for me as I stated earlier.  I don't live in the same country as my children/grandchildren and it is a brilliant way of keeping in touch with video calls etc, and with friends too..

Holders

There's a pub in Chiddingfold (the Winterton, if I remember correctly) that had a mobile in its fish-tank with the aeration coming out of it and a warning notice.