1/4 of the Season Gone

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, October 04, 2021, 07:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

Pretty much.

It's been a quarter of 2 halves.

70sPimlico

yep.

We've had a right kick in the balls September and early October.

I thought as a team, we'd get better but what does tend to happen first, is you get slightly sussed by the opposition. I'm still very hopeful about the season.

Tete and Fabio injuries knocked us.

My par is top 3/4 by end of November. I expect us to strengthen in January.

Woolly Mammoth

As long as we can keep amongst the leading pack until Christmas, and then after the new year push on and if necessary pick up a player or two in the Window that can make a decent impact. A long way to go yet and plenty of time to get our act together.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 04, 2021, 09:48:58 PM
As long as we can keep amongst the leading pack until Christmas, and then after the new year push on and if necessary pick up a player or two in the Window that can make a decent impact. A long way to go yet and plenty of time to get our act together.

We don't need to buy more players, we need to build some teamwork and cohesion.

brightster

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 04, 2021, 09:59:45 PM

Sorry have to agree with Wolly, we do need to buy in Jan,  we have seen already this season and past seasons the same players making the same mistakes and lacking in concentration, all these players in defence have been around for the past few years, except Tosin and Robinson, All played under different managers and still making the same errors, sorry but time now is to move these players on, if we are serious about going up and staying up something has to change!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: brightster on October 04, 2021, 10:30:48 PM

Sorry have to agree with Wolly, we do need to buy in Jan,  we have seen already this season and past seasons the same players making the same mistakes and lacking in concentration, all these players in defence have been around for the past few years, except Tosin and Robinson, All played under different managers and still making the same errors, sorry but time now is to move these players on, if we are serious about going up and staying up something has to change!

How do you possibly imagine we could spend any more money than we already have and meet FFP?

We really need to cut wages below the 19/20 level, but I my guess is its increased since then.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on October 04, 2021, 07:18:27 PM
Pretty much.

So that's a quarter not an eight or a sixteenth correct?

& the dreaded January window opens for the need to strengthen in various positions. Never mind Marco's targets were signed in addition to the existing players so as we had competition for all places.

Hope Marco has some targets already lined up that he missed out on first time around & we need them in 1st January 2022. The continued work in progress towards a team that can get promoted from the Championship into the Premiership & do more than avoid relegation or just survive.
No problems with that surely? 

WindyCity

Yeah, almost a quarter gone.  Hard to believe, still seems like 'early days'.  Time goes by so quickly. 

On balance, a disappointing first eleven games.  Hope the lads can keep themselves relevant.  Can't rely totally on help at the upcoming window, that's usually a crapshoot.  Team needs to get better, and healthy. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on October 05, 2021, 08:30:58 AM
Pretty much.

& the dreaded January window opens for the need to strengthen in various positions. Never mind Marco's targets were signed in addition to the existing players so as we had competition for all places.

Hope Marco has some targets already lined up that he missed out on first time around & we need them in 1st January 2022. The continued work in progress towards a team that can get promoted from the Championship into the Premiership & do more than avoid relegation or just survive.

We need the khans to spend the money on players, not waste it as they have done on so much dead wood, rejects and cast offs, going halfway round the world to Division 2 South of the Outer Mongolian League. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

LittleErn

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 05, 2021, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on October 05, 2021, 08:30:58 AM
Pretty much.

We need the khans to spend the money on players, not waste it as they have done on so much dead wood, rejects and cast offs, going halfway round the world to Division 2 South of the Outer Mongolian League. 

As The Rational Fan says further up the thread, FFP is the problem with that. My understanding of that is that we need to offload before we can spend more.

Whitestone

We have a very good squad. Injuries to Tete, Carvalho, Cairney and Kongolo haven't helped though. The squad is underachieving IMO even without the aforementioned players. Something has to change. Mentality, desire, work rate. There was a lot of that missing in the second half on Saturday. The players we have are good players for the division. Something just hasn't clicked recently and that's for Silva to solve. Having said all that if we were able to bring in a quality left winger within FFP constraints that would be helpful.

filham

A good time to make a judgement on the team  as with eleven games gone all of the new signings should have bedded in, .tactics should have been sorted and we should be putting in regular performances of promotion quality. This has not happened and no way can we now been seen as promotion favourites as we were pre season.

The main problem is scoring goals and this is not easy to solve, only one shot on target against Coventry indicates the magnitude of this problem. Our midfield trio are also getting outplayed. Any thought that we can spend big money on a new player in January to solve these problems is day dreaming as the player would need to be top quality and better than BDR, Kebano, Munic, Onamo and Chalobah in order to command a place in the team.

We have been unfortunate with injuries and getting Carvalho and Cairney match fit would be a huge help.

Whitestone

We are the division's top scorers.

Our biggest problem is defending.

brightster

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 05, 2021, 05:36:58 AM
Quote from: brightster on October 04, 2021, 10:30:48 PM

How do you possibly imagine we could spend any more money than we already have and meet FFP?

We really need to cut wages below the 19/20 level, but I my guess is its increased since then.

We need to offload the players who are not performing and haven't done consistently the past few seasons. I think Marco has seen this already, got a feeling Jan will be a busy month for us. Getting players fit will be a bonus and will help.

Twig

I tend to agree with TRF, there's probably little or no financial wriggle room to sign much more than the odd free transfer.  I suppose we could have a major clear out which would reduce the wage bill but would be unlikely to raise much in the way of transfer funds (unless some are almost fully amortised?).

filham

Quote from: Whitestone on October 05, 2021, 06:26:20 PM

We are top scorers due to a couple of run away wins, generally we are struggling to score. Only Mitro is hitting the target,  Cav., and BDR in particular have been poor in front of goal.

Whitestone

Quote from: filham on October 06, 2021, 11:16:05 AM

We are top scorers due to a couple of run away wins, generally we are struggling to score. Only Mitro is hitting the target,  Cav., and BDR in particular have been poor in front of goal.

Apart from Blackpool away we've scored in every game. It's clean sheets we need. Scoring goals isn't a problem for this team. Sort the defence out and we'll quickly and consistently rack up the wins and all will be well on this forum.

WindyCity

Sadly, true.  When season started, I actually thought defense would be the primary strength of this team.  I guess I was wrong about that......