Main Menu

Newcastle hypocrasy from dissenters

Started by Nick Bateman, October 07, 2021, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Quote from: Luka on October 09, 2021, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: Penfold on October 09, 2021, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: Luka on October 09, 2021, 11:20:41 AM
Has anyone on here actually been to Saudi ?

Certainly not. Can't get a beer there.

That will change as there is a big drive to get tourism into the place. Sometime soon I believe you will be able to get alcohol in tourist hotels.
Not that that will be a new experience to the hypocritical white robed Saudi elite you see buying bottles of expensive booze straight after disembarking flights to Dubai International then being whisked off in limo's to indulge in ultra nice hotels and expensive hookers.

😂 you ain't wrong there

Oakeshott

"That's the final straw for me. The Premier League has been corrupt to the core for years now but this is on a whole new level. I simply cannot support anything related to the PL anymore. This of course means I won't be able to watch a single game if we're promoted next season. It's sad but there are more important things in life than football, like taking a stand against totalitarian regimes, oppression, torture, murder, mutilation, public executions, corruption, etc. etc. Some of you will think I'm overreacting but when the Premier League actively support all of the above I'm out."

It is interesting that the other nineteen Premiership clubs seem to have concerns about all that, though doubtless cynics will write them off as self-interest in not having a strong Newcastle team.

I agree with Nick Bateman that it would be good if Newcastle can join or beat the current big clubs, the issue is how.

And what is concerning is the naivity of the PL in thinking that there is a real difference between a regime which does all the things you list and an investment outfit headed by one of the rulers.

It is a bit like the British government allowing Hauwei into our telecomms thinking that China has genuine private sector companies like the West and that the company won't do what the regime say (I would, if I worked for Huawei - better than being killed by the ghasstly regime).

The idea that sport and politics should be kept separate is idealistic but also naive, and has been since the 1930s.

Like you, I'm out if the PL allow the takeover as it seems they have. Bad enough that they have let themselves get involved in promoting BLM rather than continuing to work against racism (the two being very different). The one plus over the last week was the jailing of the WBA fan who was found guilty of racist abise.

Twig

Yes, I've visited KSA many times and worked for clients there. I had to as it was part of my job but always had misgivings and tried to minimise my involvement by focussing on clients elsewhere in the Middle East. Nonetheless KSA is such a financialn powerhouse that it was impossible to avoid.

As a matter of interest, why do you ask?

Twig

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 08, 2021, 02:02:54 PM
Two (or three) wrongs don't make a right. Besides, I don't recall Russia or the UAE going to a foreign country and murdering a journalist and this being signed off right from the top of government.

Lol, this can't be serious right?

cookieg

Quote from: Twig on October 09, 2021, 07:48:02 PM
Two (or three) wrongs don't make a right. Besides, I don't recall Russia or the UAE going to a foreign country and murdering a journalist and this being signed off right from the top of government.

Russia doesn't need to go abroad to kill journalists, they do it at home.

RaySmith

Just stated on  5 Live, BBC Radio, Steven Nolan Show by gay rights activist Peter Tatchell -

"The Prem lifted it's ban on the Saudi deal (which Tatchell thinks is terrible because of the Saudi regime's attitudes to women and gays - women still in prison for campaigning  for women being allowed to drive, and the death penalty for being gay) as a quid pro pro, after the Saudi government lifted it's ban on Prem TV broadcasts, and agreed to ban  pirate Prem broadcasts."

I'm just reporting this, don't know if it's true.

It is true apparently.

MartyFFC

Most countries in that part of the world are misogynistic, intolerant, deeply homophobic with appalling human rights records. You're likely to be imprisoned, flogged or chemically castrated for being gay in UAE; yet I don't hear anyone complaining about Man City's ownership. It's all about £££££££££. It will certainly be an interesting juxtaposition in Qatar, watching players taking the knee with their rainbow laces in a country where structural racism and homophobia are the norm

Twig

Quote from: MartyFFC on October 10, 2021, 08:54:44 AM
Most countries in that part of the world are misogynistic, intolerant, deeply homophobic with appalling human rights records. You're likely to be imprisoned, flogged or chemically castrated for being gay in UAE; yet I don't hear anyone complaining about Man City's ownership. It's all about £££££££££. It will certainly be an interesting juxtaposition in Qatar, watching players taking the knee with their rainbow laces in a country where structural racism and homophobia are the norm

I take it you've never visited the UAE, much less lived there?

MartyFFC

Ha, yeah I've been to the UAE many, many times. The Outside Inn is a cracking boozer if ever you're in Ajman - unbelievable seafood platter

Luka

Quote from: Twig on October 09, 2021, 07:47:37 PM

Yes, I've visited KSA many times and worked for clients there. I had to as it was part of my job but always had misgivings and tried to minimise my involvement by focussing on clients elsewhere in the Middle East. Nonetheless KSA is such a financialn powerhouse that it was impossible to avoid.

I believe you need to have visited the place to get a sense how different it is to other places in the Middle East.
I went on business a couple of times and found it a depressing, intimidating and soulless place.
After one particularly unpleasant experience watching a large group of migrant workers being processed at passport control I told my then employer and all employers since then that I would not return.

cmg

Quote from: cookieg on October 09, 2021, 10:20:46 PM

And their Gothic architecture-loving hitmen tourists are not averse to bumping off people they don't like if they stray from Mother Russia...or even completely innocent bystanders who they have never even heard of.

Forever Fulham

Recent article:

A Saudi Arabia-led takeover of Newcastle United has been completed with the Public Investment Fund (PIF) buying the Premier League club in a deal worth just over £300 million.

Newcastle have not been English champions since 1927 and have not won any domestic silverware since 1955, and fans believe this takeover will move them out of mediocrity. In seven games this Premier League season, Newcastle are yet to win a game and are 19th in the table, above only Norwich City.

The takeover ends an 18-month deadlock after an agreement was originally reached in April 2020. However, PIF, the world's largest sovereign wealth fund (state-owned investment), failed to pass the Premier League's owners' and directors' test at the time, creating an impasse which has been resolved following intensive talks in recent weeks.

Officially, the Premier League has privately indicated they are now satisfied the consortium has provided proof the Saudi state would not have control of Newcastle. The Premier League declined to comment to ESPN when contacted to explain how they had done this.

"The Premier League, Newcastle United Football Club and St James Holdings Limited have today settled the dispute over the takeover of the club by the consortium of PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media," a Premier League statement said. "Following the completion of the Premier League's Owners' and Directors' Test, the club has been sold to the consortium with immediate effect.

"The legal disputes concerned which entities would own and/or have the ability to control the club following the takeover. All parties have agreed the settlement is necessary to end the long uncertainty for fans over the club's ownership.

"The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club. All parties are pleased to have concluded this process which gives certainty and clarity to Newcastle United Football Club and their fans."

The deal is likely to meet strong public opposition in many quarters, however, given Saudi Arabia's human rights record and the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018.

Khashoggi had been critical of the Saudi government and was killed in an act determined by the United States government to have been directly ordered by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, ruler of Saudi Arabia and chairman of the PIF.

Amnesty International called on the Premier League on Thursday to focus on human rights issues and "sportswashing."

"Instead of allowing those implicated in serious human rights violations to walk into English football simply because they have deep pockets, we've urged the Premier League to change their owners' and directors' test to address human rights issues," Amnesty's Sacha Deshmukh said.

"The phrase 'human rights' doesn't even appear in the owners' and directors' test despite English football supposedly adhering to FIFA standards.

"We've sent the Premier League a suggested new human rights-compliant test and we reiterate our call on them to overhaul their standards on this."

As part of the agreement with Newcastle, PIF will take an 80% stake, with private equity firm Reuben Brothers paying for a 10% stake and British businesswoman Amanda Staveley receiving 10% for her role in brokering the deal.

Staveley said of the deal: "This is a long-term investment. We are excited about the future prospects for Newcastle United. We intend to instill a united philosophy across the club, establish a clear purpose, and help provide leadership that will allow Newcastle United to go on to big achievements over the long term.

"Our ambition is aligned with the fans -- to create a consistently successful team that's regularly competing for major trophies and generates pride across the globe."

Sources have told ESPN that the catalyst for the sudden change was the end of a four-year dispute over Premier League broadcast rights in the Middle East by Qatari-owned broadcaster beIN Sports, which was banned in Saudi Arabia as the government blocked its signals.

Its content was then allegedly pirated by a Saudi-state run broadcaster beoutQ, which led to the beIN Corporation launching an international investment arbitration against Saudi Arabia seeking damages totalling more than $1 billion.

The World Trade Organization ruled last year that Saudi Arabia helped breach international piracy laws in relation to beoutQ but despite an acknowledgement to rectify the issue, beIN channels were still not shown fully in the region.

The arbitration process continued but sources have told ESPN that the Saudis have recognised their defence was likely to fail and have instead now sought a settlement with the beIN Corporation.

Now the piracy issue has been resolved, the Premier League is no longer in dispute with the Saudi state, although they maintain the key factor has been PIF proving it is a separate entity from the country's government rather than the end of the broadcast rights row.

Information from Reuters was used in this report.

blingo

I'm guessing that those of you with rights issues don't drive any form of transport that uses oil petrol or diesel. That would be like a vegan wearing leather shoes.

Twig

Quote from: Luka on October 10, 2021, 01:53:53 PM
Quote from: Twig on October 09, 2021, 07:47:37 PM

I believe you need to have visited the place to get a sense how different it is to other places in the Middle East.
I went on business a couple of times and found it a depressing, intimidating and soulless place.
After one particularly unpleasant experience watching a large group of migrant workers being processed at passport control I told my then employer and all employers since then that I would not return.

I agree with you Luka. I had a similar experience at Riyadh, some jumped up National Guard (or whatever) was laying into an immobile queue of migrant workers who had been waiting patiently to be processed  for hours. None of the Middle East countries are perfect but Oman was always my favourite and KSA the place I liked least.

Lyle from Hangeland

al Fayed supposedly was an arms dealer while in Egypt and the grocer bit was a façade of sorts.

Twig

Quote from: blingo on October 10, 2021, 08:24:02 PM
I'm guessing that those of you with rights issues don't drive any form of transport that uses oil petrol or diesel. That would be like a vegan wearing leather shoes.

Sorry but I don't see the relevance of this at all.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Twig on October 10, 2021, 10:04:12 PM

I'm struggling to see it too.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: cookieg on October 09, 2021, 10:20:46 PM

I'm by no means defending Russia.

blingo

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 10, 2021, 10:26:07 PM

I'm struggling to see it too.

How much oil comes from Saudi? You cant profess to be anti everything they do or say you are giving up football because of the relationship with KSA and then without guilt use petrol/oil etc in your car without conscience. Wouldn't that mean you use their products to suit your life style, but conveniently forget their heinous rights issues?

Motspur Park

Quote from: blingo on October 11, 2021, 08:59:45 AM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 10, 2021, 10:26:07 PM

How much oil comes from Saudi? You cant profess to be anti everything they do or say you are giving up football because of the relationship with KSA and then without guilt use petrol/oil etc in your car without conscience. Wouldn't that mean you use their products to suit your life style, but conveniently forget their heinous rights issues?

This is so lateral.
I despise what Russia stands for but I don't do an analysis that my gas may come from there and boycott using gas as an energy product.