watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fury v Wilder

Started by Dodgin, October 10, 2021, 05:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyFFC

Never seen anyone take a punch like Fury can. Let's hope his next fight doesn't start at 4.30am or whatever the hell the Wilder fight was

mrmicawbers

Listened to Tyson Furys pre and post fight interviews and the man comes across as very articulate.

Forever Fulham

Every since the Klitschko brothers arrived on the scene, there's been talk of the need for a super-heavyweight division.   Was once quite rare to find a very tall and skilled boxer with proportionate body weight.   I agree with an earlier poster that a six inch height advantage, 60 pound weight advantage, and at least six-inch reach advantage, combined with good to great boxing skills and ring savvy, would put an all-time great fighter like Ali at a real disadvantage.  Ali was always a headhunter.  Rarely went to the body.  His jab and movement set up his entire approach and delivery.  There's no advantage, then, when your jab can't reach the bigger, much taller, stronger opponent who can jab pretty well himself, and who will put his weight on you in the clinches right up to the point the ref does actually deduct a point after continual fair warnings.  Plus, some big men are surprisingly light on their feet.  Even big fat men, or cusp of fat men.  Like Andy Ruiz, who destroyed Joshua before letting the win change his life so much he literally ate himself out of serious contention.  I think Fury is light on his feet, jiggling torso fat notwithstanding.  The Powers That Be should carve out a new division for really big men, giants if you will.  Look at all the painstakingly drawn divisions there are up to but excluding Heavyweight. 

Statto

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on October 11, 2021, 07:52:55 PM
Quote from: Craven_Chris on October 11, 2021, 06:32:53 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 10, 2021, 05:04:26 PM
Here you go.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84rgy2

It was a truly great contest and for those who don't think Fury would be in the top 20 from days gone by, I'm not so sure.

I agree, unlike most sports, boxing's heyday seems to be in the past, but the innovations in training and nutrition probably mean today's fighters are competitive with those of old.

Fury would have had 60lbs, 6 inches in height and 7 inches in reach advantage over peak Ali. Add in his mobility and I think that is an interesting contest. Not that we will ever know!

Think you're over reacting a touch. Ali was something else. Along with Mike Tyson. baring in mind the competition in those days was far better than now, both would destroy the division now.

Mike Tyson's reputation is derived almost entirely from his initial run as a 19/20 year old to world champion, which in turn was almost entirely against crap opponents. Don't get me wrong, Iron Mike in his (very brief) prime was probably the best or joint best (with Ali) heavyweight of all time IMO, but it was a weak field at that time.

Forever Fulham

In interviews, Mike Tyson admitted to routine cheating on urine sample testing for performance enhancing drugs, like steroids.   To me, that tarnishes his accomplishments somewhat.  But he was a terrific fighter, had tremendous balance and power.  His short upper cuts and power punches were a thing to see.  He also knew how to fight dirty and get away with it.  Forearm smashes to the face for instance.  And the manner of his early victories, first or second round knockouts, so intimidated future opponents that he got inside their heads before the match even started.  He'd come out wearing only black shorts and say nothing.  All business.   He put real fear into his opponents.  There was no better close-in heavyweight than Mike Tyson.  He had to perfect that style of fighting to overcome the disadvantage of such short reach  and almost always  having to punch upwards.   

MartyFFC

Amazing to think Tyson was convicted of raping a teenager, yet is still revered by many. Not sure he'd get a pass in today's world